Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GH: Kimberly McCullough Was Originally Staying For 2 More Months; But New Regime Changed Things
Topic Started: Feb 23 2012, 11:50 AM (2,456 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Four months ago, after attending a prestigious directing workshop for women at the American Film Institute, McCullough asked Phelps to write her off so that she could pursue her directing career. Wanting closure for herself and the character, McCullough suggested that Robin die because it wouldn’t make sense for the surgeon who has won the hearts of fans with her fight against HIV to leave Port Charles without her husband or child.
The 32-year-old actress got her wish, though it came two months sooner than she anticipated with the changing of the guard at the show....

“I was of the hope that we would do something where the character was fulfilled,” McCullough said. “I was intent that I wanted Robin to die but, because of the way it all went down, I wasn’t comfortable with that anymore. I didn’t feel it was earned. There wasn’t a good lead-up to it. The history of soaps is that you have a meaty story before you leave.”

The transition may have been handled awkwardly—episodes overseen by the Valentini and Carlivati regime began airing Monday—but Robin’s death was hastened because it serves as a catalyst for the return of other characters who helped General Hospital hit the cultural mainstream in the 1980s. Emma Samms reprises her role as con artist Holly Sutton-Scorpio beginning Tuesday, and a broken-hearted Robert Scorpio (Tristan Rogers) returns to Port Charles on Wednesday to deal with his daughter’s death. Rick Springfield’s Noah Drake also will set foot in Port Charles in March, followed by Robin Mattson, who plays villain Heather Webber, in April.

Samms and Rogers, who were last on the show in 2006, played one of General Hospital’s super couples in the ‘80s, the end result of one of the best love triangles in daytime storytelling. Holly had a love affair with Luke Spencer (Anthony Geary), believed him to be dead, and took up with his best friend, Robert. In a scene for an upcoming episode filmed in February, their storied past is front and center as the threesome joins forces for the sake of Ethan (Nathan Parsons), Holly and Luke’s son.

More At: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/22/general-hospital-fights-back.html
Quote Post Goto Top

titan1978
Member Avatar

From the things she has been saying, I wonder if McCullough is talking about Phelps and Wolf's planned exit she was no longer comfortable with? She has been really positive about Valentini in interviews and about the inclusion of Robert and Anna in her exit.

I hope she gets an exit interview and tells us what the shows many Robin exits pans were and how much it changed.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

As lame as the explosion has been, at least it's more open-ended. Robin dying of AIDS as it was originally planned would have been terrible.

happy
Member Avatar

I don't like the way Robin was written off canvas. I agree with KM. There was no lead up and no catharsis. It's horrible that Robin had to die, but I agree with KM that it made sense. But the WAY she was written out has been terrible. She didn't even get a proper tear-jerk of a goodbye with Patrick. Soaps are usually great with death scenes. Ugh. KM and her legacy character deserved better.

Graham
Member Avatar

Robin's exit seems almost an afterthought so I can see why KMc is not pleased.

Mason

I don't think it's being treated like an afterthought. No, there wasn't much build-up to Robin's death, but how much can you build up a freak accident? (Especially when it was a last-minute re-write.) That's part of the tragedy of it, I think.

Graham
Member Avatar

Mason
Feb 24 2012, 08:58 PM
I don't think it's being treated like an afterthought. No, there wasn't much build-up to Robin's death, but how much can you build up a freak accident? (Especially when it was a last-minute re-write.) That's part of the tragedy of it, I think.
The fact that it's being written as the C story for the week instead of taking center stage is what's killing it for me.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

Ugh, what is it with soaps bringing back these old characters?! I loved GH back in the day, and no way have I ever wished that Luke and Laura reunite on my screen, or Bobbie and Scotty reappear, or Leslie Bauer suddenly appear at the nurses station, and/or Alan Q. walk through the door as a mortal and not a ghost. The soaps will never be what they once were...

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

badaddiction
Feb 24 2012, 09:07 PM
Ugh, what is it with soaps bringing back these old characters?! I loved GH back in the day, and no way have I ever wished that Luke and Laura reunite on my screen, or Bobbie and Scotty reappear, or Leslie Bauer suddenly appear at the nurses station, and/or Alan Q. walk through the door as a mortal and not a ghost. The soaps will never be what they once were...
For me it's not so much about wanting to see an old character come back but the fact that they are missing from their families lives with no explanations like Bobbie is makes no sense. Look at everything Carly has gone through yet Bobbie wasn't there. Look at Lucky and Nik and all they suffered and Laura wasn't there. I do think they need some of the old characters back, it helps tell the stories they're telling now. As for Alan, killing him off was a huge mistake to begin with, I'd take him back any way I could get him.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

Crazygirl
Feb 24 2012, 09:11 PM
badaddiction
Feb 24 2012, 09:07 PM
For me it's not so much about wanting to see an old character come back but the fact that they are missing from their families lives with no explanations like Bobbie is makes no sense. Look at everything Carly has gone through yet Bobbie wasn't there. Look at Lucky and Nik and all they suffered and Laura wasn't there. I do think they need some of the old characters back, it helps tell the stories they're telling now. As for Alan, killing him off was a huge mistake to begin with, I'd take him back any way I could get him.
I get what you're saying, and I guess I've always been more of a GA type viewer than someone who is steeped and/or invested in the history of a show. I go with the flow and if it's not to my liking or if I've grown beyond what the show's offering, I find another avenue for my entertainment. I never really wish for days of yore in regards to characters.

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

^^I get that too, I guess I've been watching GH for so long that sometimes when they just skip over the histories of the characters and their families it drives me nuts.

lene
Member Avatar

she's obviously not dead.. i think if they were really killing her they would have done if differently...

Alin89
Member Avatar

Mason
Feb 23 2012, 01:29 PM
As lame as the explosion has been, at least it's more open-ended. Robin dying of AIDS as it was originally planned would have been terrible.
i feel the same this is way better.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

People aren't seeing the big picture. I get that because Robin is such a huge part of the show and its upsetting to see her go. But 1) Robin is not dead and will return someday. Even if its just like TSJ's OLTL return. 2) You can't build up to a freak accident like Mason said, but she did have touching scenes with Anna and Emma before she "died." Those scenes wouldn't have been like that if Robin wasn't going to explode. 3) She's going to keep appearing as a ghost/spirit/figment of people's imagination during her funeral week. So there will be plenty of teary goodbyes. I expect to be crying for the whole week of her funeral. It had to be a freak accident because if somehow GH doesn't get cancelled Patrick needs to be able to move on and exist on GH. Jason Thompson is way too good to let go just because his on-screen partner quit the show. He's a perfect leading man.

It is sad to think she didn't get to say goodbye to anyone really besides Patrick, but I'm assuming when she appears to everyone in their minds that they will say goodbye and it will be beautiful. Can't wait for the Robin and Robert scenes.

lene
Member Avatar

Interviewer: "If your character perishes... does that really mean your off the show in the future?"

Kimberly: "It's a soap opera. Of course not. Everyone comes back from the dead."

Finola: "I blew up in a boat.. along with my husband"

Interviewer: "Do you ever have input, do they ever come to you and say what you want to happen...?

Kimberly: "Will you come back to the show.. If.. we do this?"

Kimberly pretty much confirms Robin is alive! :lol: Can't wait for the reunion. :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=pLBogXhdwnY

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I'm really seeing her "death" as opening up several different storylines-- all that have some wheels on them. I'm not seeing her death as an after thought-- not at all. I really do believe that she'll be back too.

Looking forward to the storylines with JaSam, Patrick, Elizabeth, Anna, and the rest who have either cared for or hated Robin-- they've all been affected. Should be good stuff!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply