Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ABC Ratings Report: CBS Down; DAYS drops in demos; GH up Big; Week of Feb 20 - 24
Topic Started: Mar 1 2012, 05:23 PM (2,903 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Release is here --- >http://abcmedianet.com/web/dnr/dispDNR.aspx?id=030112_03

Soap relevant information:

Week of February 20th to February 24th

Total Viewers
1.) Y&R - 4,584,000 (-160.000)
2.) B&B - 3,084,000 (-201,000)
3.) DAYS - 2,489,000 (+21,000)
4.) GH - 2,354,000 (+192,000)

Women 18-49 Demographics - Viewers
1.) Y&R - 956,000 (-16,000)
2.) B&B - 697,000 (-43,000)
3.) GH - 598,000 (+71,000)
4.) DAYS - 521,000 (-5,000)

Women 18-49 Demographics - Rating
1.) Y&R - 1.5 (Same)
2.) B&B - 1.1 (-.1)
3.) GH - 0.9 (+.1)
4.) DAYS - 0.8 (Same) <----- Ties All-Time Low (5th Straight Week)
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Mar 1 2012, 05:40 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

ABC likes spinning stuff.. Not sure if I believe it or not.

miou07
Member Avatar

I'm happy to see that GH went up. The show is improving.
Edited by miou07, Mar 1 2012, 05:33 PM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Looks like Will's Gay kiss and the BIG reveal did DIDDLY SQUAT for DAYS ratings...they barely moved an inch and DROPPED in W18-49 viewers.

NOT GOOD!

AlisonLou

It's not just that it's the John and Hope stuff too! That sl doesn't make sense!
Viewers are tired of repetitive sl's!
By having the villans Stefano and EJ win all the time and not pay for the things they have done it's getting frustrating for viewers. All the couples have been split up in some way and the viewers aren't interested in their favourites being with other people. You can't split all the couples up at once and expect the viewers to stick around. Rehasing past sl's of the 90's that were unpopular is another reason the show is losing viewers.
GH has gained viewers and are catching up to Days.
Days is edging closer to last place.
This isn't good.

CarlD2

I do wonder how much the John/Hope story drives viewers away, mostly because some fans returned specifically for the return of Marlena and John, and the DAYS of old. Reminding them of a story they hated in the first place is an odd choice.

I also wonder how much every single story (except the Ian/Brady/Madison thing) being a blatant retread of old stories makes people less interested.
Edited by CarlD2, Mar 1 2012, 06:48 PM.

OldDaysFankat

AlisonLou
Mar 1 2012, 06:25 PM
It's not just that it's the John and Hope stuff too! That sl doesn't make sense!
Viewers are tired of repetitive sl's!
By having the villans Stefano and EJ win all the time and not pay for the things they have done it's getting frustrating for viewers. All the couples have been split up in some way and the viewers aren't interested in their favourites being with other people. You can't split all the couples up at once and expect the viewers to stick around. Rehasing past sl's of the 90's that were unpopular is another reason the show is losing viewers.
GH has gained viewers and are catching up to Days.
Days is edging closer to last place.
This isn't good.
GH had a 1 week uptic after 3 straight weeks of records lows its too soon to say they are catching up. There were weeks in Nov to Jan that Days and GH constantly flip flopped.

Days is stuck on nostalgia and redoing storylines. I think the storylines are all ok and safe. Thats it. As for Will, well theres nothing new or groundbreaking about a gay storyline. The story had potential with some unique twists that they just seemed to drop.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I don't think there is any reason to panic for Days. This is the same thing that happened in 2010. People panicked because the numbers were continuously falling, particularly demos, yet the show not only got a renewal later that year but a MULTI-YEAR renewal. Why? It's because of what I pointed out then and what I still point out now. You have to look at the season to date numbers. Those numbers include LATER DVR viewings and not just same day DVR viewing. It's clear that alot of the new viewers Days gained in their 2009 ratings surge shifted more toward being later DVR viewers or online viewers, probably because in 2010 Days was no longer a viewing priority for them like it was in 2009 so they could wait until the weekend to watch a week's worth of episodes. I know many who catch their soaps like that now. They do a marathon on the weekends. Anyway, I think online viewing and later DVR viewing numbers were strong and got Days that renewal, just like I think those numbers are strong now. Look at Days' season to date numbers currently. They have a 2.0 in HH and a 1.1 in 18-49. It's clear they benefit strongly from later DVR viewings. That is why I wouldn't worry. The show will likely always fluctuate the way it's been now, much like all the other soaps. I expect the numbers to pretty much stay the same no matter what the remaining soaps do now. There are just too many factors involved besides the quality of these shows.

Which leads me to my next point, which shouldn't have to be argued at this point because it's been proven time and time again. One story does not influence ratings either positively or negatively, especially in this era of being able to FF through stuff. You can avoid things you don't like as a viewer more easily than ever so I don't think there is any one story reason for anything going on in the ratings aside from GH. GH has been struggling for weeks and they are in the same boat Days was back in September. These numbers are for their reboot/relaunch so of course they went up. Like Days, they promoted heavily and had a big event to signal the transition in regimes so they were bound to go up like Days did for their big transition last September.

Also, in regards to Days, they couldn't have expected much gain when they rushed the Sami/EJ reveal. As I've said before, Days' biggest issue is the pace is too fast. They aren't allowing the stories to build. There isn't any time for the viewer to invest. The big reveals have little to no impact because of the pacing so, of course, they got very little out of the reveal. Also, I believe Mitch pointed out Days is surging in ratings in Canada and they hyped the Will kiss. Days was really stupid not to promote Will's kiss at all last week. The promo was the Sami/EJ reveal and that's fine but part of the promo should've been Will's kiss too. They should've had CM on talk shows and milked the hell out of it. They didn't so how can you expect any gain out of that when there was little promotion for it?

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Yes - DAYS is seeing ratings success in Canada with their recent changes and especially this week in particular...the show has alwayd done well here, but its strange that the numbers are increasing here so much and not in the US...viewers are pretty much the same, demographics are pretty much the same, so its strange.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Switching from DAYS talk...look at Y&R and B&B...those are HUGE drops...wonder why they went down so much?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

One thing I think has hurt the soaps the last few months is the weather. There were no big snowstorms this winter and the weather was warmer than usual in many locations. Usually, soaps benefit from snowstorms and people getting stuck at home from bad weather.

DaysForever
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Mar 1 2012, 07:25 PM
Yes - DAYS is seeing ratings success in Canada with their recent changes and especially this week in particular...the show has alwayd done well here, but its strange that the numbers are increasing here so much and not in the US...viewers are pretty much the same, demographics are pretty much the same, so its strange.
Where are those Canadian numbers available? I live in Canada as well!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I really wish they would release online viewing and the later DVR numbers (they release the complete DVR numbers for primetime shortly after a week goes by). It would really help in terms of providing complete perspective.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

DaysForever
Mar 1 2012, 07:46 PM
Mitchapalooza
Mar 1 2012, 07:25 PM
Where are those Canadian numbers available? I live in Canada as well!
I heard it on a radio program this morning, they were talking about television and topic switched to gay characters on television and DAYS was mentioned and that last week featured their first gay kiss in their history. They then went on to say that DAYS saw a 8-year high in their CDN ratings for GLOBAL, especially in Quebec where it out-ranked every other english language program and beat out some usually high ranking french programs.

OldDaysFankat

Well I disagree that no story matters. Days last sustained increases were related to the baby switch. OLTL's surge can be tied to the 2 Todd storyline and B&B's gains tied to the triangle playing for the past several months. As far as winter increases both Y&R and B&B saw increases from Dec to Jan into Feb. You can't pick and choose only items that justifies Days stagnant ratings. Its like people blaming GH's decline on its lead in refusing to recogize that they were spiraling when OLTL was their lead.

Days has a contract to 2013 I don't see anyone panicing.I think performancewise it has to be disappointing, I refuse to think otherwise, but that doesn't mean the show is getting cancelled.

As far as the last renewal who knows. Jeff Zucker was on his way out then so there could have been a variety of reasons as NBC was close to closing the Comcast aquisition.

At this point most know that none of these shows are going to substantially gain. But its hard to predict what Comcasts interest in NBC is vs the other networks under the NBCU umbrella like USA, Bravo, Scify. It may be good or bad for the shows remaining on NBC. Time will tell.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I also wish Online Viewing and Live + 7Day DVR was released for daytime dramas...THOSE would be the best numbers to look at on a weekly basis...not these ones.

AlisonLou

Days hasn't gained any viewers from September they have lost more viewers then when Higley was headwriter.
Stop making excuses for Days. Their sl's suck and the writing is terrible.
Days lost 300,000 viewers a couple of weeks ago. They haven't gained them all back.

DaveBedford
Bitches be crazy! Haters are gonna hate!

It looks like Days is spiraling again which isn't good.

Gr8 to see the ratings for Carlivati's first wk writing GH go up instead of on the downturn.

Queen B
Member Avatar

AlisonLou
Mar 1 2012, 08:34 PM
Days hasn't gained any viewers from September they have lost more viewers then when Higley was headwriter.
Stop making excuses for Days. Their sl's suck and the writing is terrible.
Days lost 300,000 viewers a couple of weeks ago. They haven't gained them all back.
why are you so negative about everything? if you hate everything about this show, then why are you apart of a website that is dedicated to DOOL news!

lysie
Member Avatar

Days went up in total viewers, but not much. Days definitely is struggling in that target demo, but they've been struggling there for a while despite their total numbers going up. I'll be interested to see the dailies, but overall this doesn't look as bad for Days as some are saying. They are having some success. It's just in a different demo.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply