Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member suffering succotash in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Royalty Interview with Shawn Christian
Topic Started: Mar 1 2012, 09:23 PM (5,359 Views)
lysie

Earlier today, Daytime Royalty had the opportunity to speak with Shawn Christian. See what he has to say about what's next for Daniel, his controversial love triangle, and Dan's infamous tan.

Now that Danielís back, what will he be doing?
Heís coming out of an insane asylum. Iím kidding. No. Heís traveled the world to go find himself. Heís now come back a much more down-to-earth character. Now what heís going to do and what kinds of choices he makes beyond that, I donít know.

Well, you have to know about the next couple of months.
I can guarantee you itís going to be trouble.

How long will Daniel be working with Nicole?
Moment to moment, I really donít know! I have three scripts in front of me. I havenít read them yet. Iíll look at them later, but Iím excited to find out. I can guarantee you that they are two provocative characters and itís going to make people jumpy. Itíll be interesting to see what happens. I really donít know. I know there are some medical issues on the show that I need to take care of and Daniel will do that as a consultant. Weíll see what happens. Iím excited.

Who have you worked with since returning?
Youíre trying to do a little like Nancy Drew. Who have you worked with? What have you said? Clearly Jennifer. I might have seen Jack. Iím not sure. I donít even know if Iíve seen my daughter yet. Iíve not seen my daughter or my mother. Iíve clearly seen Nicole. Iíve seen Rafe. Iíve seen Carrie and...whatís her husbandís name? Austin. Iíve seen Lexie and Abe. I feel like weíre on Romper Room. Thatís the beauty of the character. I can run into anyone. Iíve seen Billie of course. Iíve seen Bo and Hope...

Maybe I should have asked ďWho havenít you worked with?Ē
Exactly. I know you tried to do homework and now youíre thinking ďOkay, but who have you slept with?Ē Iím still celibate.

Is there more to come with the Daniel/Jennifer/Jack triangle?
What I do think is that youíve seen a battle between someone who wants to stick with their family or create a new chapter in her life. I think that in this moment she has chosen to fight for her family. And rightfully so. Daniel is willing to respectfully give her that space. Daniel has been doing some soul searching while heís been gone and I donít know if the ship has sailed, but for the moment theyíve decided to respectfully go and do their own thing.

Weíve heard a lot about rewrites. Do you know anything about that?
Oh really? I donít know. Iíve yet to see them. I think thatís the thing, though. With this character, I can tell you this. Itís not going to be linear. Itís not going to be A+B=C. Itís going to be the most messed up equation that you would hope to figure out, but you wonít. It will be something non-linear. Iím sporadic. You donít know what Iím going to do in this episode. And itís still plausible. Heís that kind of character.

What were your thoughts on the Daniel/Maggie story?
I thought it was wonderful. It gave Daniel some roots to Salem which is good. I mean, I know that Victor is my godfather, and heís got many secrets that heís yet to reveal to me, but Suzanne Rogers is just precious. My God. Who wouldnít want her as their mother? And this guyís actually trying to not really fully accept her. It was hard. It was one of those funny tap dances. But he has this daughter that looks so unbelievably related to Maggie, so it was just like ďhow could this not be?Ē So I liked it. I bought it. And Suzanne Rogers has been extraordinary to work with, so I can honestly say it was one those cool little blessings thatís out there. When I run into those characters, it is Danielís family. The idea of family has been so elusive to him. His daughter and his mother are the one thing that remind him of family on this show.

Will we find out who Danielís father is?
You know, I donít know. Itís one of those little golden nuggets thatís just sitting out there. I like that itís sitting in the air, and theyíre able to tease the audience every now and again with little clues as to perhaps who his father might be. Iím sure itíll all come together in some crazy puzzle.

We get a lot of comments on our board about Danielís unseasonably dark tan...
Dark tan? You can not have heard that recently because I feel like Iíve been living in a cave.

Well, you havenít been on much recently.
Yeah, if I have a sex scene, you can guarantee my ass is going to be tan. Iím not going to be some chalky...I do do a lot of outdoor sports for one. But yeah. If I look like a reflector on screen, they will go ďlisten. He needs to be darker.Ē Itís purely a lighting thing. Trust me. Iím not going to be some pasty white reflector point on screen. And people will go, ďYou know, he needs a little color.Ē And theyíll do it. In fact I think they actually got me tanned one time. They paid for it. I went and got tanned. I played basketball. Wiped it all off. Showed up at work, and they were like, ďWhereís the tan? What happened to the tan?Ē ďI sweat it all off. Iím sorry.Ē So I looked like a psychedelic freak. Yeah. You know youíd be amazed the different tricks we use to create illusions on the show, and IĒm sure there have been many times itís been way too dark. Just like thereís been many times Iíve been way too pasty.

Whatís up next for Daniel?
Mystery and mayhem. In any form.

Do you have a favorite Days story youíve done?
Any story where Iím causing trouble. I actually enjoy thought-provoking stories in any capacity. Whether you love it or hate it, itís irrelevant. Itís not up to me. But if it spurs a reaction, and if it relates to you as a person and isnít just provocative for the sake of being provocative, but it stirs something within you, Iím into it.

What kind of fan reaction do you hear the most?
"I hate you. I hate you and your character." Really. People are like, ďOh, I love how you fall in love so crazy, passionate," but I make people mad. Iíve been punched in the street. No oneís threatened my life, but people have straight up started swinging and ďI hate you. Youíre so mean and cruel.Ē Iím like, ďIím Shawn, not Daniel. Nice to meet you.Ē People do say they hate me and I make them so mad, but then they say, ďIím really glad youíre on the show.Ē
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

razorbacks78
Member Avatar

Everyone is all over the place...why would Carrie and Daniel have scenes
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aldo
Member Avatar

A very good interview from DR as usual.

lysie
Mar 1 2012, 09:23 PM
We get a lot of comments on our board about Daniel's unseasonably dark tan...
This was hilarious!

lysie
I hate you. I hate you and your character.

I can't breathe ROFLOL!
Edited by Aldo, Mar 1 2012, 09:40 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

Awesome interview, DR!!

I know many people hate Daniel (as he clearly knows as well) but I've never really disliked him and this interview just makes me adore Shawn Christian even more. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Dreamer
Gone, But Not Forgotten!

Now words required. I am not the slightest bit interested in this 'new Daniel'. :puke:

SlyestFox
Member Avatar

Hmm. Methinks I get why Shawn doesn't do a lot of interviews. He's kind of... weird.

AFaithL

LMAO at Shawn saying that if he ever does a love scene again "I guarantee my ass will be tan". I like Shawn. Looking forward to what the future holds!
Edited by AFaithL, Mar 1 2012, 09:39 PM.

Mason

lysie
I hate you. I hate you and your character.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ChampagneRiver
Member Avatar

Why work so hard to fix a character that most people don't like? You have characters that people LOVE sitting on the back burner or not appearing on the show at all. I don't understand this at all. Then again, it's just business as usual for Days, isn't it?

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

It looks like TPTB dont know what to do with the character....thanks SC for the "Dan is still celibate" comment! Dan can be Nicole's friend...BUT NOTHING ELSE!

TFP

AFaithL

esp13
Mar 1 2012, 09:34 PM
Awesome interview, DR!!

I know many people hate Daniel (as he clearly knows as well) but I've never really disliked him and this interview just makes me adore Shawn Christian even more. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Yup...I like him. Just keep him away from Nicole and we're all good!

razorbacks78
Member Avatar

Who have you worked with since returning?
Youíre trying to do a little like Nancy Drew. Who have you worked with? What have you said? Clearly Jennifer. I might have seen Jack. Iím not sure. I donít even know if Iíve seen my daughter yet. Iíve not seen my daughter or my mother. Iíve clearly seen Nicole. Iíve seen Rafe. Iíve seen Carrie and...whatís her husbandís name? Austin. Iíve seen Lexie and Abe. I feel like weíre on Romper Room. Thatís the beauty of the character. I can run into anyone. Iíve seen Billie of course. Iíve seen Bo and Hope...

So he has scenes with

1 Jack
2 Jennifer
3 Nicole
4 Rafe
5 Carrie
6 Austin
7 Lexi
8 Abe
9 Billie
10 Bo
11 Hope

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
Come on Ron, We are counting on YOU !!

It certainly seems that he has no clue what's happening with his character...and he's been back for 3 months already.....I think the writing is on the wall....

Another excellent interview DR....loved the tan question and the one about what he hears the most from fans....lmfao

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Great interview!

I'm looking forward to Daniel having scenes with so many people in the future. Get him around the cast and see where he fits because it's clearly not with Jennifer as no one seems to want that pairing to continue.

The character of Daniel reminds me a lot of the character of Neil Curtis. No, I wasn't watching when Neil was on, but from the summaries I've read, Neil was a bit of a bachelor/heartbreaker, who got around. And the fans loved him! The reason for that, I believe, is that the show never kept that a secret. People discussed it, called him out on it, etc. I truly believe Daniel should be the show's "cad," and I think people will like him in that role if it just wasn't written that no one was supposed to realize it. It makes the characters look stupid when they're at odds with Daniel and no one brings up his past ways.

Do we really need to have a long lost father storyline for Daniel? Why can't they just say Lillian Parker stole Maggie's eggs and used her husband George's sperm, making him his father. That's how I always thought it was, considering no one even brought up Daniel's father not being George.

Loved his comments about the tan. So true! If he was pasty, people would be complaining abou that. I think he looks just fine.

And the reactions Christian gets on the streets doesn't surprise me. He's not a fan favorite, that's for sure. And that is why it doesn't make much sense to me why the show won't capitalize on that and make his character stop being so "heroic." He's no John Black or Bo Brady and never will be.

sals4
Member Avatar

Dreamer
Mar 1 2012, 09:35 PM
Now words required. I am not the slightest bit interested in this 'new Daniel'. :puke:
He seems...confused..His interview was distorted and I couldn't really follow. Dunno if it's because of the stronger history Bryan Dattilo has on the show...or he has a better understanding of where the writers are going with his character, his interviews are WAY more effective and interesting. MR and now SC just seem confused and their interviews are more annoying than anything else.

Paxton
Member Avatar

SlyestFox
Mar 1 2012, 09:36 PM
Hmm. Methinks I get why Shawn doesn't do a lot of interviews. He's kind of... weird.
Yeah, my first thought was, "was he high?"

On the other hand, I liked the content of this interview for the most part. If they're not going to pair Daniel with Billie at least it doesn't seem like they're contaminating anyone else with him for the moment. I'm sort of intrigued by Tim's theory in another thread regarding SC's tenure on the show being linked to MB's and that her time on the show may not be for much longer. That seems plausible considering that the Days of Our Melanie seem to be over, though regretfully, we're still being force-fed Days of Our Sami.

Thanks for posting.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I absolutely love the questions DR asks the actors!! :cheer: :wub:

Kudos another win!! :cheer:

Romancer66

Jennifer's going to fight for her family? I'll believe it when I see it. And it sounds like yet another flip-flop because she was acting like her family was the last thing on her mind when she sped over to Danny-Boy's office in hopes of feeling him up--er, out. From what I hear, her attitude came across as "Jack who?" Wonder what the cause of her latest 180 will be?

Good questions, DR. More incisive than the usual softballs lobbed at actors.

lysie

sals4
Mar 1 2012, 09:46 PM
Dreamer
He seems...confused..His interview was distorted and I couldn't really follow. Dunno if it's because of the stronger history Bryan Dattilo has on the show...or he has a better understanding of where the writers are going with his character, his interviews are WAY more effective and interesting. MR and now SC just seem confused and their interviews are more annoying than anything else.
I think some of the actors aren't sure what they can talk about. Like, they don't know what's aired, and the interviews don't have a specific purpose (as in they're not being interviewed for the purpose of pimping a specific storyline). So they're not sure whether to talk about what's airing, what's coming, or what they've just filmed.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

elizhope
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 1 2012, 10:07 PM
sals4
Mar 1 2012, 09:46 PM
Dreamer
I think some of the actors aren't sure what they can talk about. Like, they don't know what's aired, and the interviews don't have a specific purpose (as in they're not being interviewed for the purpose of pimping a specific storyline). So they're not sure whether to talk about what's airing, what's coming, or what they've just filmed.
Yea, he seemed to think you were asking about the upcoming scripts he hasnt read, as opposed to the three months already shot. I could tell he was confused on what has aired so far and what has been officially spoiled so far in the magazines, etc. And who can blame him, with them shooting so far in advance

All in all another fab DR interview. Yall always have the best ones!
Edited by elizhope, Mar 1 2012, 10:17 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply