Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Downton Abbey
Topic Started: Mar 1 2012, 10:10 PM (1,972 Views)
Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Has anyone else on here gotten into this series? I decided to check it out after hearing good things about the show and finding out that Maggie Smith is in it (who I think is brilliant) and have really enjoyed it thus far. As of right now, I'm on the second-to-last episode of the first season. I loved the part when the visiting Kemel Pamuk has a heart attack/dies after practically forcing Mary to have sex with him and then Mary/Cora/Anna have to cover it up by carrying him across the estate before everyone wakes up. Lmao!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

YES! I love this show!

I recently watched the first season and now I'm waiting dying for the second season from Netflix. It kills me a little every time I check my queue and it's still listed as "Very long wait". LoL.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I just started watching too. It isn't bad and I am enjoying it. Only part way through season 1. Hoping to get through all of it this weekend.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Mason
Mar 1 2012, 10:32 PM
YES! I love this show!

I recently watched the first season and now I'm waiting dying for the second season from Netflix. It kills me a little every time I check my queue and it's still listed as "Very long wait". LoL.
Just saw that they added season one, so I plan on watching this weekend. Have you watched Shameless UK? I love Netflix
Edited by Rick, Mar 2 2012, 02:21 AM.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Do either of you have a particular character that you enjoy seeing the most? Personally, I think I enjoy Maggie Smith/Violet the most. Some of those one liners are fantastic. "Can't we go just one day without picking a fight with an American?" Lol.

Mason

Mary and Violet are my two favorites, but I also love Anna, Isobel, Matthew and Mrs. Hughes. I have a love/hate relationship with Thomas. Sometimes he's awesome and other times I want to punch him in the face.

The one character I cannot stand however is Mrs. O'Brien. What a loathsome bitch.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I would probably say Maggie Smith's character is my favorite right now. I am only about 5 episodes in so that might change over time. But her character does have some funny one-lines. Typical older person that doesn't care and says exactly what she is thinking.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

I love Downton Abbey. Mary is my favorite, as you can see by my avatar. But I like most of the characters. Thomas is loathsome. O'Brien is very nosy and nasty. She does evolve somewhat in Season 2.

The series is lush and beautiful but it is the characterizations which hold up the show. There are no fantastical events to draw viewers just merely good story telling. One think I particularly love is that though the Granthams are rich and titled, they still have honor and compassion. Maggie Smith as Granny is superb.

Mason

pspcindy
Mar 3 2012, 02:03 PM
The series is lush and beautiful but it is the characterizations which hold up the show. There are no fantastical events to draw viewers just merely good story telling.
That's what I love most about it, too. It's not about gimmicks, just delivering quality stories and characters.

One thing I worry about, though, is that, since the show has started to explode in U.S. pop culture, the producers will begin to Americanize it to appeal more to the American audience (I already kind of see it with the addition of Shirley MacLaine). I really hope that doesn't happen because it really isn't necessary. From what I've seen, though, I'm pretty confident DA will maintain its integrity.

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

Casey
Mar 3 2012, 12:10 PM
Do either of you have a particular character that you enjoy seeing the most? Personally, I think I enjoy Maggie Smith/Violet the most. Some of those one liners are fantastic. "Can't we go just one day without picking a fight with an American?" Lol.
My Bff got me hooked on this show, she is in love with Matthew Crawley and loves him and Mary Crawley together. Maggie Smith gives one of the best zinger on this series. My favorite is when Maggie/Violet said to Richard Carlisle "Do you promise." She cracks me up all the time.

The cast from top to bottom is just topnotch everyone fits in the series. Whoever did the casting for this show, hit a gold mine. Just finished the second season and I am anticipating the next season in Steptember, the worst part is have to wait that long to see what happen. Darn it.

This show got it all, I am not normally into period pieces, my BFF is a huge fan of Masterpiece, but this series is fantastically acted, well written, great casting and so much more.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Yeah, O'Brien is pretty bad. I don't mind watching Thomas...most of time. I also love how Isobel routinely has been interfering with Violet's affairs. The scene where Violet sees her name as the winner of the flower show (after always winning every year due to her being the Dawager Countess), but passes it along to the older man instead was great.

natdot99
Member Avatar

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by natdot99, Mar 4 2012, 09:37 PM.

Mason

PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS!

I know the second season has (recently!) finished airing, but many of us still haven't seen it yet.
Edited by Mason, Mar 4 2012, 06:12 PM.

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

I'm downloading season one.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Just got around to finishing Season 2 before PBS.com takes the episodes down.

I love the show, but I really think Season 2 wasn't as good as the first season.

Is it just me or were the downstairs storylines so much more emotionally affecting and interesting than the upstairs ones?

Besides how great Bates and Anna were in the writing and performances, I just found the storyline with the young cook girl (I feel terrible that I can't remember her name and whenever I see her I just think of the SNL skit that called her "Mouse Girl") and her relationship with William and his father and her reaction after his death really really affecting.

Meanwhile, it just seemed like upstairs everything was so cliche and plot-driven
Spoiler: click to toggle
and less character driven than the stuff going on with the servants. It was just obnoxious how people would pop up as guest stars week after week and then disappear like they never happened and never affected anyone. Which I guess is one of my biggest complaints about regular soaps...

Not that I won't be back for the show as soon as it comes back for Season 3.

Mason

Season 2 is on PBS.com?! Well, to heck with waiting for it on Netflix then, LoL.

natdot99
Member Avatar

Mason
Mar 4 2012, 06:09 PM
PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS!

I know the second season has (recently!) finished airing, but many of us still haven't seen it yet.
Thanks for editing my post Mason.
Viewers have until March 6 to watch season 2 on PBS.org. :cheer:
Edited by natdot99, Mar 4 2012, 09:36 PM.

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

Mason
Mar 4 2012, 07:21 PM
Season 2 is on PBS.com?! Well, to heck with waiting for it on Netflix then, LoL.
All I will say is that you will love the ending for Season 2.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I just finished the first season finale...I've really fallen in love with this show. That was an hour's worth of fantastic television and am going to go out and cough up the cash for the second season. Lol!

Mason

IMissAremid
Mar 4 2012, 07:12 PM
I love the show, but I really think Season 2 wasn't as good as the first season.
Yeah, after finishing Season 2, I agree it was a disappointment. I totally agree with your assessment of the season (with the exception of Daisy, the cook girl, whom I just find too annoying to care about). Too much time spent on ancillary characters, few of whom actually contributed anything to the series.

That being said, every current soap writer of any level on his/her staff needs to look at Matthew and Mary as a model for writing for couples. The angst between these two characters alone was so wonderfully done.

I'm eagerly awaiting Season 3.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply