Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Downton Abbey
Topic Started: Mar 1 2012, 10:10 PM (2,038 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I just finished watching the season premiere which was, incidentally, my very 1st episode of Downton. Yep. I'm hooked. Now I've got to watch everything else. Don't know why it took me so long to watch since everyone knows how I am about historical & period soap opera. lol
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manny
Member Avatar

Oh Matt, how did you not yet watch it? It's pretty good. Like I said, first season is amazing. The second one, IMO, is not as good, but still enjoyable. :)

Tash
Member Avatar

I love historical drama and historical fiction and I hate waiting. So keep updating those of us who have to wait until freaking January!

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

Just watched Downtown Abbey, thanks for the links for those that provided it. Omg, the show is just freakin good. Mary was utterly beautiful in the end, good to see Matthew and Mary starting out life as a married couple. Nice to see Sybil back with her husband, Dame Maggie Smith was great as usual, love her one liner and I am liking Shirley McClaine, she is a nice addition to the show so far.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Everything Manny said. Bates = zzz, everything else for the win!

Mrs Patmore had the line of the episode in response to Daisy using big words - "Oh, you've gone and swallowed a dictionary!"

Dame Maggie Smith's dowager is my fave character, but I think Mrs Patmore is my second favourite.

I never thought Matthew was particularly good looking before but it dawned on me that he is lol
Edited by Southofsoap, Sep 18 2012, 03:51 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

"Nothing succeeds like excess"

I may very well need that on a t-shirt.

Manny
Member Avatar

Once I again I loved the episode.

At first, I felt it was kinda boring, but as it went on I loved it more and more.

I love the addition of Shirley McClaine. She's doing great. And I love her interaction with Maggie Smith. When Martha started singing and sat next to Violet, singing "I love you"... the look on Violet's face was so priceless! Maggie Smith is AMAZING! :lol:

The entire inside picnic-dinner was great. And with a nice twist when Martha revealed that she cannot pay off Crawley's debts. So I guess it's all on Matthew now.

I also really love the aspect of modern American versus ever so traditional English people.

Mrs. Hughes' cancer storyline is already sad. :(

Thomas being an ass is really annoying. Why is he treating people so bad for no reason?! Ugh! He needs to get laid and leave people alone.

Bates' storyline is still the least entertaining, but we barely saw it in this episode, so that was good. I did like that darker side of Bates come up in prison. Well actually, I don't know if it's his dark side, or he was just defending himself. But he looked MAD!

Anyways, another good one!

Matt, did you start with season 1? How do you like it? :)

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

The second episode was the worst of the series for me, it was too silly and melodramatic for my liking. I expect to be pelted with rotten eggs now!

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Episode 3 was back to its amazing self. I even felt sorry for spinsta-sista Edith, and I pretty much loath her lol.

Now that all those silly storylines are resolved (except boring Bates), I hope the show can move onto meatier storylines. Next week's promo looked good.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

This season, while still watchable, is a massive dip in quality for me compared to the first 2 seasons.

Manny
Member Avatar

Spoilers about tonight's episode!

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Manny, Oct 14 2012, 03:56 PM.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Manny
Oct 14 2012, 03:56 PM
Spoilers about tonight's episode!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Stunned, I tell you. STUNNED.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Even today, I'm still a bit in shock. I didn't see it coming at all - this show is generally happy endings. Wow.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Robert needs to be bitchslapped into the 20th century!

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Thank God Barrow stayed on in the end. Rob James Collier is one of my favourite reasons for watching this show.

And Alfred is so a 'mo!

The best part about the episode though was that it was filled with such warm, tender moments. It just made me so happy.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Nov 5 2012, 08:16 PM
Thank God Barrow stayed on in the end.
I thought it was lame. They made Downton Abbey seems more liberal than San Francisco was in 1921 even though it is in rural Yorkshire, what with everyone tolerating his sexuality. In reality he would have been carted off to jail for homosexuality years ago - you can bet on that.

I hope the Dowager's niece doesn't return next season although they were setting her up to be a major character wih *drama* since everyone else is happy, sans Edith.

All in all, an uneven season with some brilliant episodes and some wtf episodes. The only reason the finale gets a thumbs up is because it makes one feel all mushy and warm inside like this show is meant to. I may be over this show, can you tell? :P

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply