Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings: Week of Feb 20 to 24; Great week for GH
Topic Started: Mar 2 2012, 06:29 PM (2,774 Views)
talbab1994
Member Avatar

Sometimes, I think there's all these excuses as to why the ratings are down-- weather-- pre-empted in one area of the country and yes, to an extent, it does affect soaps, in general. Maybe, just maybe though, people just don't like what's being shown currently. I can only speak for me but I cannot stand what's being shown on Days-- I'm bored and really disappointed in ths show however, I'm really enjoying General Hospital now. I kind of go between soaps and try to find something I can grab on to watch but there's times when I can't. Maybe others are feeling the same way? At this point, I don't know what it would take to make some soaps more interesting-- most have tried bringing back fan favorites or new writers or new something only to have ratings that may not show that all of the work was really worth it. I don't know, maybe I'm looking at this all but that's how I feel......
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

talbab1994
Mar 3 2012, 07:42 AM
Sometimes, I think there's all these excuses as to why the ratings are down-- weather-- pre-empted in one area of the country and yes, to an extent, it does affect soaps, in general. Maybe, just maybe though, people just don't like what's being shown currently. I can only speak for me but I cannot stand what's being shown on Days-- I'm bored and really disappointed in ths show however, I'm really enjoying General Hospital now. I kind of go between soaps and try to find something I can grab on to watch but there's times when I can't. Maybe others are feeling the same way? At this point, I don't know what it would take to make some soaps more interesting-- most have tried bringing back fan favorites or new writers or new something only to have ratings that may not show that all of the work was really worth it. I don't know, maybe I'm looking at this all but that's how I feel......
Exactly. And speaking of Days & GH and the ratings, while it has been the norm in recent history that Friday is the lowest viewed day for all soaps, both GH and Days had big happenings during the week of the 20th, but ONLY GH managed to increase its viewers on Friday. So, yes, if the viewer interest is there, the ratings can/will increase on a Friday.

ETA: Re GH

I've been watching GH, too, and the thing is while I'm not invested in one particular character or coupling, the overall storylines have held my interest of late. I actively make a concerted effort to watch the show live. If for some reason, I can't watch live, I make sure to catch it on Soap Net. Why? Because the stories and the characters and storylines - save for Sonny - are interesting to me. It feels like a soap. Conversely with regards to Days, I love EJ and like some of the other cast of characters, but I find the show complete bore. With the exception of a few scenes here and there, I find the show a complete snooze fest. There's no energy; it doesn't feel like a soap in the 21st century. I have the opportunity to watch it live daily, but I don't. I record it via DVR daily, but 9.95 times out of 10, I delete the recording sans viewing.
Edited by badaddiction, Mar 3 2012, 08:45 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OldDaysFankat

talbab1994
Mar 3 2012, 07:42 AM
What years like 2010 and 2011 and yes 2007 into 2008 which was also bad is that there are a core group of viewers who will watch Days or any soap no matter what. I find it amusing all these items like DVR viewing numbers, soapnet viewing, online viewing are now pulled out, stories now no longer pull in viewers(despite evidence to the contrary) yet when Higley was writing and being blamed for ratings and bad stories, suddenly then stories and ratings did matter.I don't know all the factors that NBC or Sony look at I fail to believe Corday wasn't pushed by Sony or NBC for changes.

Folks want to believe that the current stagnant numbers are wonderful with all the investment made thats their perrogative.No one is claiming the sky is falling. Days could easily get an extension with a lower licensing fee. The CBS soaps have been renegotiated several times in recent years. I think a lot of the returns while nice, were not needed yet, just a strong writing and producing team. The show could have slowly brought folks back, working these returns into major events over time. At this point Corday has played all his cards barring a new writing and producing team that is fresh.

The other consideration is that the audience just isn;t there like it used to be. Not only are there more options on TV but also the internet. Couple that in with less people home during the day, and there is a smaller pool of viewers available.

lysie
Member Avatar

No one is claiming the sky is falling (actually, some see) but no one is saying the ratings are wonderful either. I don't think they're as bad as people are saying, especially considering the current daytime context and how much faster we've seen them drop in the past. Times change and ratings expectations have to change too. A rating that sucked a few years ago, is coveted now. I wish Days were better than it is now, but I do think it's better than it was under Higley. Ratings just aren't going to improve much anymore.

lovinsafe
Member Avatar

ChampagneRiver
Mar 2 2012, 10:41 PM
DAYS feels really stale to me. Rehashed stories, rehashed conversations, zero romance, very few truly rootable characters, the usual suspects from before the so-called reset still front and center--it's watchable if I don't have anything else to do, but there's really nothing compelling me to want to watch.
I totally agree with you….There is nothing that makes me sit on the edge of my chair and say “YES THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT”, or “I LOVE THIS COUPLE’. The show is very stale, boring, monotonous, tiresome, and dull. There hasn’t been an S/L that has drawn me in just driven me away since the re-boot. DAYS have been a part of my life and what I find sad is I really don’t miss it! I do agree with another poster, Mardar, you’re just not cutting it as head writers. Also I’m personally disappointed in TPTB for letting this to continue!

miou07
Member Avatar

Days ratings have always confused me. For other soap operas, the measure of success is pretty clear cut numbers' wise.

While GH went up, which as a fan makes me happy, I know that these numbers are still bad. And the show is going to have to have sustained growth. I doubt anyone at ABC is saying that DVR and online viewing levels are decent, let's keep the show.

.9 or lower in the 18-49 women demo ain't going to cut it for GH. I'm not saying that the show would be saved even if the show hit acceptable levels, but it is crystal clear what kind of numbers led to the show's demise. ABC wouldn't be cancelling the show if it still scored regularly 1.3 or higher in that demo. IMHO the audience has aged and younger viewers aren't flocking to the genre to replace them.

In regard to Days -- in June 2010, the Season-to-Date numbers that year were great, but TPTB panicked anyway back then.

For the SEASON September 21, 2009 through June 27, 2010

HH
1. Y&R 3.8
2. B&B 2.4
3. DAYS 2.2
4. GH 2.1
5. AMC 2.0
6. OLTL 1.9
7. ATWT 1.8

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.9
2. GH 1.5
3. DAYS 1.4
4. AMC 1.1
4. B&B 1.1
4. OLTL 1.1
9. ATWT 0.9

In 2011-12, far worse Season-to-Date numbers are now considered good. Unlike other television shows, the measure of success for Days changes from season to season (maybe that's an NBC thing). I've stopped trying to figure it out. All that I do know is that both Days and GH right now are scoring similar demo numbers (in the week-to-week ratings that we see) to The Guiding Light and ATWT in their last years.
Edited by miou07, Mar 3 2012, 01:31 PM.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Mar 2 2012, 06:43 PM
LOL - Maybe they need to bring back the end of episode previews...
I really believe they should.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

ChampagneRiver
Mar 2 2012, 10:41 PM
DAYS feels really stale to me. Rehashed stories, rehashed conversations, zero romance, very few truly rootable characters, the usual suspects from before the so-called reset still front and center--it's watchable if I don't have anything else to do, but there's really nothing compelling me to want to watch.
Exactly. Rehashed stories and zero romance, and no rootable couples don't lend to garnering a large audience.

kserox10

DAYS is done in 2013. There is no reason why NBC would want to have a new contract. These ratings are just horrible and no signs of improving. It's done.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

It's not so much about making excuses for Days or any other soap. It's just the simple fact that it's not always as simple as a show sucking being the reason for the ratings being down. We've seen soaps be awesome and praised online and off and they do horrible in the ratings. Quality has very little to do with the ratings anymore and that has been the case for the past few years. Once in awhile, you see a big week or some sort of success over a small period of time but you usually see all the soaps drop back down to earth eventually, which is why I agree with Lysie in that there won't be much movement here with the ratings no matter what any soap does. Factors like the season to date numbers, online numbers, etc have been being pointed out for years now. Personally, I was bringing them up all the time the entire year of 2010 and I know others were as well so it's not like people all of a sudden started pulling those factors out now to make excuses for the show in it's current form.

It's all about being profitable. That's it. That is why you can't just look at these numbers and say anything with certainty because A.) Each soap's circumstance is different and B.) These numbers only tell part of the story because, as I said, online numbers and season to date are just as important. Each network has a difference benchmark for an acceptable ratings expectation too. You can't compare what may have been acceptable or seen as good or bad a few years ago in the ratings (or even a year ago) to now because you have to take each year as different because television is constantly evolving now and the networks are trying to catch up. Just look at the ratings system. What was already a horribly unreliable system has become even more reliable because there are now far more ways to watch shows than ever before. In the soaps' case, you have the various online ways to watch and, let's remember, not all of them can be counted. If you watch your soap on youtube, your viewership is not counted. That is only one example. You also have to consider those soaps that air on Soapnet. That viewership matters but isn't included here. We know Days, GH, and Y&R make profit off that, which is helpful. Television, particularly the broadcast networks, is trying to keep up with the rapidly changing climate. You have cable and far more options on TV. You have more ways to watch TV, which segregates the audience and makes it hard to measure a show's viewership. You have so many factors in play. Therefore, while a 1.8 last year or a few years ago may have been bad, it may be seen differently now. It may meet expectations, especially for a network like NBC. They also have access to those other numbers (later DVR viewings, online numbers, Soapnet, etc) that are just as important. We don't get the whole story here.

It's important to note too in NBC's case that the network is a mess. I think that has been the biggest help to Days. NBC has bigger issues than daytime. They don't have the time or resources to put into finding a replacement for Days right now. Their primetime and late night is a mess. Their focus is 100% on that and it shows. Days has a one year option that NBC can pick up. I think they will at least get that one year option, talking them into September 2014. That would leave them one year shy of their 50th anniversary. I think NBC will want that achievement so, providing Days' budget is in check and they are still making a profit, I think NBC will keep them for that 50th year. I will really worry about Days after 2015, to be honest. I think NBC may be in better shape by then as a whole and that may be when they decide to find a replacement and pull the plug IMO.

So, again, it's not making excuses. I'm not happy with Days either right now. The pacing is pretty bad and that is just one issue I have. I'm not saying they should sit back and accept these numbers. Even if the numbers were better, they should still be pushing to continue to do better. That should always be the case. You never just settle for what you have in the ratings. I just think you have to examine all the factors. Quality is one of them for sure but it hasn't seemed like the major factor in quite a while now for the ratings.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

kserox10
Mar 4 2012, 12:30 AM
DAYS is done in 2013. There is no reason why NBC would want to have a new contract. These ratings are just horrible and no signs of improving. It's done.

There was no reason for NBC to renew it the last few times either, especially 2010. They went from giving the show one year renewals to a MULTI-year renewal coming off a 10 month period where the show pretty much bled viewers. That alone shows you that it's not just about the numbers your seeing here.

The only soap I think is for sure a goner either this year or next is GH. The others I think will be with us at least until 2015. In regards to Days, people have been saying it was done since 2003 and it's still here. Until it actually airs it's last episode, I can't see how anyone could write it off at this point given how many times it's survived against the odds given it airs on NBC.

kelly777
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mar 3 2012, 01:22 AM
Also, for reference, here are the current season to date numbers for Days and all the soaps from SON. These numbers include later DVR viewings for each week. Keep in mind Days started out, I believe,

For the SEASON September 19, 2011 through February 26, 2012

Households
1. Y&R 3.6
2. B&B 2.5
3. DAYS 2.0
4. GH 1.9

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.6
2. DAYS 1.1
2. GH 1.1
4. B&B 1.0

Now, compare this to the first set of season to date numbers this season (this season began the week before the official Days reboot).

For the SEASON September 19, 2011 through September 25, 2011

Households
1. Y&R 3.3
2. AMC 2.3
3. B&B 2.2
4. OLTL 2.0
5. GH 1.9
6. DAYS 1.7

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.4
2. AMC 1.1
3. GH 1.0
3. OLTL 1.0
5. DAYS 0.9
6. B&B 0.9

This means Days is up +3 in HH and +2 in 18-49 from the start of the current season. As has been noted in other threads, Days is one soap that benefits ALOT from later DVR viewings. These numbers clearly show that. That is why I think there is no reason to panic. This was the case in 2010 as well. The live+same day DVR numbers weren't good but the season to date numbers were (Corday also mentioned that year that online viewing was strong) and Days not only got a renewal but a multi year renewal. I think Days is doing just fine. They just need to improve the story pacing because they are moving way too fast IMO.
In my area GH & DOOL are still aired at the same time. There are only four soaps left so they certainly do not need to be competing. Either NBC or ABC needs to move their show. GH ought to move to the Revulsion slot. Man that is one show that really, really sucks!

philip&stephanie

kelly777
Mar 4 2012, 04:12 AM
PhoenixRising05
Also, for reference, here are the current season to date numbers for Days and all the soaps from SON. These numbers include later DVR viewings for each week. Keep in mind Days started out, I believe,

Households
1. Y&R 3.6
2. B&B 2.5
3. DAYS 2.0
4. GH 1.9

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.6
2. DAYS 1.1
2. GH 1.1
4. B&B 1.0

Now, compare this to the first set of season to date numbers this season (this season began the week before the official Days reboot).

Households
1. Y&R 3.3
2. AMC 2.3
3. B&B 2.2
4. OLTL 2.0
5. GH 1.9
6. DAYS 1.7

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.4
2. AMC 1.1
3. GH 1.0
3. OLTL 1.0
5. DAYS 0.9
6. B&B 0.9

This means Days is up +3 in HH and +2 in 18-49 from the start of the current season. As has been noted in other threads, Days is one soap that benefits ALOT from later DVR viewings. These numbers clearly show that. That is why I think there is no reason to panic. This was the case in 2010 as well. The live+same day DVR numbers weren't good but the season to date numbers were (Corday also mentioned that year that online viewing was strong) and Days not only got a renewal but a multi year renewal. I think Days is doing just fine. They just need to improve the story pacing because they are moving way too fast IMO.
In my area GH & DOOL are still aired at the same time. There are only four soaps left so they certainly do not need to be competing. Either NBC or ABC needs to move their show. GH ought to move to the Revulsion slot. Man that is one show that really, really sucks!
I love your Avatar.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

kelly777
Mar 4 2012, 04:12 AM
PhoenixRising05

Households
1. Y&R 3.6
2. B&B 2.5
3. DAYS 2.0
4. GH 1.9

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.6
2. DAYS 1.1
2. GH 1.1
4. B&B 1.0

Households
1. Y&R 3.3
2. AMC 2.3
3. B&B 2.2
4. OLTL 2.0
5. GH 1.9
6. DAYS 1.7

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.4
2. AMC 1.1
3. GH 1.0
3. OLTL 1.0
5. DAYS 0.9
6. B&B 0.9

Moving a shows timeslot though is SUICIDE..it has proven that it erodes viewers, not increases them, no matter if they are moving a show away from its previous competitor or not. As you said, GH/DAYS compete in your market at the same time, but they have a built in audience at those timeslots already...why move them? It is HIGHLY unlikely that if they are moved that their ratings will magically increase due to having no competition from another soap.

In most markets, Y&R & GH are competing completely alone...while DAYS/B&B often are competing in the same time period...however...switching the shows around so that they all air independently in their time period in every market would be catastrophic...this is why ABC clearing the 3PM hour for Katie Courics new show, and moving GH to 2PM is considered a VERY VERY VERY bad move for GH and likely will signal its total demise.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Mar 5 2012, 01:30 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply