Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Weekly Character Discussion: Nicole
Topic Started: Mar 6 2012, 07:41 PM (2,203 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Every week we'll have a new thread for a different character; this week's is Nicole. The purpose of this thread is to give both positive and negative feedback about the writing, characterization, and portrayal of the character. As always, the daily thread is the place to discuss specific episodes and scenes; this thread is for any and all thoughts on the character, the character's history, family relationships, and what you'd like to see for him/her. Feel fee to post pictures and clips if you'd like.

We'll be locking these at the end of each week and giving another character a turn.

This is not a place for fanbase fighting; please know before posting that there will be people in here who disagree with you, and if you have a different opinion that one stated, please just state your own respectfully. The point of this thread is to get feedback from everyone, good or bad.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

At the reset i was hopeful that this character was finally going to live up to her potential. I hated her for many years but due to AZ's portrayal, I think that she was evolved into human being of substance since she came back in 2008 andnot just a drunk, golddigging floozy with a smart mouth. I can relate to her and even sympathized with her even when she was wrong. She actually made me feel her pain during the Nov 2009 sydnapping and IMO stole the show.
She seems to have the right mix of good and bad, toughness and vunerability. I like the fact that she can have such natural chemistry with other characters on the show, both male and females. She has such good scenes with her girlfriends Chloe, Ava, Kinsey etc. that she seems like someone fun that you would want to be around, like one of your own friends, unlike other female leads like Sami, who sucks and i could never relate to or want to be around in real life.
She seems to have over come many obstacles in her life including a very fucked ip childhood and is admirably resilient. But she can get needy at times.
I was hoping with the reset that she would get her own apt., instead of living back and forth between hotels and the Dimansion/ Brady's. I wanted her to get a real job on her own and enjoy her social life with friends and her career. I wanted her to be chased by men and take her time choosing the right suitor. Maybe down the road she would decide to have a baby on her own via adoption or surrogate. The door was wide open to make her the strong female lead to take control of the show.
Instead, much to my disappointment. They quickly made her the sucker to Ej again, her whole world revolving around him and his needs. While i do like Ejole and wanted them to be together eventually, i wanted it to happen slowly over time. Maybe building a friendship and real trust and honesty first. They seem to thing it is okay to make her play supporting player to As's Sami, who is about as half as interesting, relatable, or rootable.
As for her supposed "big story" her pregnancy. So far it sucks and seems to be more about the usual using her to prop up other overhyped characters that don't live up to their hype and wouldn't stand a chance without her in their story this time it is Daniel, who they are trying to revamp and make likable again and Rafe, who they insist on forcing on us as the greatest hero in the world. :moon:
I would like this "woman in peril who needs two men to protect her"to stop and have her do things on her own, like a big girl. I think Nicole is at her best when she is plotting and scheming on her own. She doesnt need a hero type to protect her. I just about threw up when they started on this white knight , white horse fantasy crap. The old Nicole would have laughed and said something snarky, much like she did to Rafe when he was wearing that stupid prince outfit. Se seems to have been beaten down and broken, she needs to pick herself up. I wouldn't mind her having a platonic friend to talk to, like Daniel, but he should be there to prop her, not the other way around.
She needs to help herself and dump these to boring losers, who IMO, just bring her down. They are boring and no match for her. She needs someone that is her equal. A mix of good and bad. If she can't work it out with Ej, and i wish she would after she gives him hell, then i would like them to bring in someone new for her.
Edited by MissLola, Mar 6 2012, 08:25 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

WOO HOO...first EJ and now Nicole!

Well, I have always like the character of Nicole. I liked her with Eric and how they were so young and in love. Then he left after she took Kate's money and married Lucas. She became the bad girl some love to hate and others (like me) just love!

I loved Nicole for different reasons before and after AZ left. I liked Nicole being the funny one-liner person that got to walk in a room, insult a couple of people and walk out.

However, after the babyswitch, that all changed for me because I loved how Nicole grew into a leading character out of it. Give AZ comedy, drama, romance and angst and she makes me side with Nicole all the time. Its just that underdog quality that came from her childhood mixed with AZ portrayal of her that makes me bias towards her actions. Now that she's found her soulmate in EJ. I want them working together in some business SL....or go on some mystery. I just basically want more of her on my screen! I was so spoiled having her lead the year of DAYS' resurgence and now to have her twice a week is not enough for me!
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Love Nicole. Hated most of her second run though because I hate her with EJ.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

AZ makes Nicole rootable. While I feel like she has chemistry with everyone I feel like her best match is with Ej. There's just something there between her and JS that makes me all tingly inside. :wub:

But besides being a Ejole fan I'm also a huge Nicole fan. Ari has a way of playing Nicole that makes her sympathetic even when she's in the wrong. It was during the baby switch when I became a huge fan. There was quite a few things she done that I should have hated her for, but the way AZ played it she made me understand where Nicole was coming from. And before it was all over with I found myself 100 percent on her side and rooting for her.

Now I just wish they'd utilize her talents and feature her more then once or twice a week. :shame:
Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

^ITA! I want more Nicole scenes! She does have chem with a lot of people but I've been spoiled with EJole lovin and tickling and love all of that too!
Offline Profile Goto Top

AFaithL

Nicole is an underdog. That's why I love her. I loved her with both Brady and EJ. But EJ is her soulmate.
Offline Profile Goto Top

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

It seems like everyone fawns over Nicole... and I don't get it.

While AZ is charismatic, I cannot stand the character with EJ. Together, Nicole and EJ aren't dastardly, aren't conniving, aren't puppetmasters... they're a schmoopy couple that has sex constantly, and occasionally talks politics. I am super excited about this Nicole-solo pregnancy storyline, only because I feel like I might get to see this Nicole that everyone talks about from the babyswitch days of yore. I like AZ a lot, but God help me, the character of Nicole is a bitchy, blinded Pollyanna when it comes to their EJ's antics.

Bring on Danicole or Raficole - it will be nice to see the beginning of a love story involving AZ, and be supportive of that pairing.
Offline Profile Goto Top

NikiLani
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Mar 6 2012, 11:36 PM
Nicole is an underdog. That's why I love her. I loved her with both Brady and EJ. But EJ is her soulmate.
I have a thing for underdogs, they make me root for them no matter what. I have loved Nicole since day one. And the fact that the writers have not rammed her down our throats unlike some other characters, make me love her more because what I see is more quality and not vapid quantity.

I loved her with Eric, not so much with Lucas, enjoyed her with Vic and loved her with both Bradys but my oh my when I finally saw her interacting with EJ, every thing she ever did before him paled in comparison. All those other pairing faded into nothingness compared to EJole. They are true soulmates and belong with and to each other. It will never get better than this for either character. Nicole made me love a character I completely loathed and I never thought/believed it possible. Thank goodness when she returned in '08 the ptb knew what treasure they had in AZ and kept her. She used to be just in the background now I watch this show regularly and actually look forward to it because of her. Nicole (honourable mentions: Phillip & Jack) brought me back from the 3 to 5 year hiatus I took because there wasn't a single s/l or character I cared for on canvass.
Edited by NikiLani, Mar 7 2012, 02:27 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

I loathed Nicole for the longest time. I thought she was a pointless, one-note character for quite a long time and I found it very hard to feel sympathetic towards her. When she left after hooking up with Rotox, I couldn't have been happier.

I wasn't thrilled when she returned, but when she did I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if she's the only character during that time period that got decent writing, but I was absolutely sold on the character. Even during the baby switch storyline, AZ made me feel sorry for Nicole. It made no sense because you can't just go around stealing people's babies and passing them off as your own, but Nicole made it seem like a completely sane and logical thing to do. I felt like she deserved that baby because AZ has the power to make you feel like Nicole deserves only the best and has been beaten up a lot along the way. This character has SO many layers that have piled up, starting with her childhood and you can see those layers through AZ's portrayal. I don't think anyone else could sell this character to me the way AZ has. I don't know what she did on her break after Rotox sex, but it worked.

This character is definitely an underdog and it works. She's not totally good and she's not totally bad, but you still feel sorry for her despite all of her wrongdoings and shortcomings as a decent human being, haha. We don't have a lot of characters like that on soaps anymore. I feel like she has been wasted since the reset, but hopefully it will pick up with this storyline.
Online Profile Goto Top

robolynn

Love, love, love Nicole. Whatever storyline she is in or whoever she is acting with - I really think that Nicole adds so much to it. It just wouldn't be the same without her.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

AZ is the best actress on the show. Hands down.

On Nicole's first run, I wasn't that big of a fan. In fact, I don't remember much about her first run. Eric, Brady, Lucas, Kate, Austin, Chloe, Paul, Jan, etc. all a big blur.

I remember watching EJ chase after Sami thinking that he needed someone who was simliar to him that he wouldn't have to change for, and my first thought was Nicole. When she was brought back, I LOVED her. Just the kind of boozy, witty character that was needed, especially as Sami was being such a heroine and Chloe was such an airhead. Loved her with Phillip and that she wanted to go after him for his money when she divorced Victor. Classic Nicole.

The miscarriage/babyswitch story really evolved Nicole into a different person, and it really suited her. She kept the sass queen, but wasn't as bratty as she used to be. I love the current Nicole and all of her insecurities and hangups, and her courage and drive. I think her pairing with EJ is good because he softens her a bit. There is a great story with some wild soapy history yet you can see the love between them. Great start to supercoupledom!

I love that Nicole is pregnant. I loved her mommy side, and if she can't have Sydney, then it is nice that she has her own child on canvas.
But with anything that is thrown Nicole's way, AZ has the acting chops to pull it off and make it believable. Amazed at how she does that.

Nicole is my favorite character! Always loved the underdog too!
Offline Profile Goto Top

lovinsafe
Member Avatar

Nicole has the best chemistry with Ej. She loves him with ALL her heart and soul, and with this baby it is everything she has ever wanted a family. She needs to be challenged to keep her out of trouble! She can dish it and take it as well as EJ can give it! They keep each other in line. You can tell she loves her craft because she has time to develop it she doesn’t have a lot of irons in the fire! And as a viewer I appreciate that! She is most definitely one of the better actresses on DAYS!

EJ AND NICOLE ALWAYS!
Edited by lovinsafe, Mar 7 2012, 10:22 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tara

For me the best thing about Days is AZ/Nicole.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DaysPossessed
Member Avatar

Nicole is a man-eater. She attaches herself to a guy and destroys him. Lucas, Brady, EJ and now Rafe.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I believe these are the scenes that AZ submitted for her pre-nom.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTvdAndGhFan#p/c/B6CFB37C523C65F9/5/dn0u9udchJQ

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTvdAndGhFan#p/c/B6CFB37C523C65F9/6/cIJortW_-RY

She might of meant the divorce papers scene (both JS and AZ were good here):

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTvdAndGhFan#p/c/B6CFB37C523C65F9/7/icyNl9Pdrjk
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

As others have mentioned, there was a time when I didn't think much about Nicole one way or the other. She was basically a forgettable character as far as I was concerned until they brought her back in 2008. During the early part of her run she was the Nicole I remembered but I did find I was enjoying her sass and attitude - I loved the scenes in the police station when she breezed in to testify at EJ's immigration hearing and took great pleasure in taunting Sami. I became less and less a fan as she suddenly became weepy and clingly where EJ was concerned - particularly after finding out she was pregnant. But to AZ's credit she managed to rise above the way they were writing the character and found ways to make Nicole sympathetic throughout the baby switch storyline. I hated her with the fire of 10,000 suns during the beginning - couldn't stand watching her coo and cuddle with another woman's baby - but around the time that Grace died AZ really convinced me that Nicole did have regrets and guilt and I began to empathize with her. I still hated what she'd done and was continuing to do and wasn't rooting for her to come out a winner in it all - but I felt for Nicole and what I knew was likely going to happen to her. ALL of that is due to AZ's portrayal and her chemistry with the Sinema twins. It really was special.

Since the babyswitch story ended and Nicole returned from prison I think AZ has tried hard to keep Nicole every bit as vibrant and sympathetic as she managed to do during that time but frankly the writing has made that nearly impossible. I find it hard to care about Nicole when the apparently doesn't care much about herself. Constantly bouncing from one mansion to the other between Brady and EJ and never finding a way to take charge of her life and have some independence has made the character seem weak and needy. No better than Sami has ever been at this point. And that's a shame because I think the character of Nicole has so much potential. But if her current storyline continues on the path it looks like it's headed I have a hunch all the great growth she experienced in 2008 and 2009 will be for naught - and I'll be right back to finding her forgettable if not despisable.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Mar 7 2012, 10:38 AM
The divorce paper scenes and all of her scenes with Ej that week were well written, acted and directed. Definitely the best part of Nov sweeps. It is a shame that it got eclipsed by the cheap, purely for shock value crap that was beast sex.
Edited by MissLola, Mar 7 2012, 11:18 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I think Nicole is a great character to show that maybe sometimes characters and actors deserve time before I pass judgment, because like others have said it was kind of meh for a long time with her.

Now, though, I'd say Nicole is the most well-rounded character on the show. Her character has matured but maintains an edge, and watching her...she feels the most grounded and real to me. Doesn't mean she's my favorite though- her stories don't generate a lot of enthusiasm for me. I'd like to see her more involved in the business storyline, such as it is, but without any catty insults flung back and forth with another character. She really should be doing her own thing, but still part of that world.

I think a lot of credit should go to the actress because I get the sense she actually put in serious effort. And then...some of it is just contrast with others in her age group.

I'm really surprised they haven't been able to build a small family around her successfully. She's been around for a long time now, seems like it would be a natural progression.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lil
Member Avatar

I miss snarky, strong Nicole. I want to see that part of her personality come back. AZ held the show together for many abysmal years, in my opinion. I could care less about her pairings I just want my snarky bitch back because that is the Nicole I loved best! I appreciate that she is a multi-layered personality but lately she has been EJ's arm jewelry or miserable. I'd like to see her scheme and get in the thick of things again. The pregnancy s/l bums me out, but I have faith Az will make it watchable.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic