Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
SOD: Days First Gay Kiss Sparks Controversy; 3/20 Issue
Topic Started: Mar 8 2012, 05:02 PM (6,563 Views)
JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

Everyone has a right to express their opinion.

Thanks for posting.
Offline Profile Goto Top

i<3ddjmalways
Member Avatar
What a beautiful couple!

Now I will admit when that scene aired, I fast forwarded through it. It's fine if they want to show two men kissing on TV, but it doesn't mean we all have to like it. Now, I think Chandler is an amazing actor and he did an amazing job with it. I have liked Chandler from the very beginning. I was one of the ones that was against a gay storyline in the first place but there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it. I have accepted it, and if I don't like something I will just fast forward through it or not watch at all. Simple as that. I believe people are entitled to their opinion, just because someone didn't care for the gay kiss, doesn't mean they are a bad person. They are just expressing how they feel. I won't go to the extreme by no longer watching, but like I said before I will just not watch the episode of fast forward through the scene or scenes. I have watched Days on and off since 1996, there have been storylines that I have loved and ones that I have hated. Regardless, I stuck by the show, except when Deidre and Drake left, they were the main reason I watched, and without them, I didn't care, but once they came back so did I. I love them as much as I ever did. :wub:
Now I was really, really angry when there wasn't much said when Sami drugged and raped Austin, she should have gone to jail for that but of course she got off scot free. Imagine if a teenage girl saw that and thought it as okay to do that to a guy to get him to sleep with her. Not a good example to set at all. I wasn't watching when that storyline aired but I watched it on You Tube and I was just sickened by it. That disgusted me more than the gay kiss. :puke:
I have been raised to believe homosexuality is wrong, and I still do believe that but people are allowed to live their life however they choose. It's a free country but just because I believe homosexuality is wrong doesn't mean I don't have gay friends that I care about very much. They are wonderful people and if they are happy, then I'm happy for them. "Love the sinner, hate the sin." Now you can badmouth me all you want about what I just said here, but I just wanted to let you know how I feel. I'm sorry you felt the need to tell off the person who was just expressing how they feel but to each their own.
I hope Chandler keeps up the good work and of course Deidre's my girl and always will be! I commend her for her words about Chandler, a class act as always. :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

mandadawn
Member Avatar

I think it is more about the fact that people are expressing their opinions in the rudest and most awful way. They are saying that gays should go to hell or any manner of things. That is not right! It is not right to say that people just because they have a different sexuality should be harmed or what they are doing is wrong. God did not create us to hate one another but to love thy neighbor. I understand that people doesn't have to have the same opinions but people are free to live the way they want. We have had to stand with all manner I things such as rape, adultery, murder, kidnapping...ahem all of EJ's actions. How is that okay? All of these things is a matter of life and so is homosexuality. This story is an amazing portrayal of the human experience and I commend Days of Our Lives for going this route. This country and the world needs to accept that we are all the same and deserve the same respect. I appreciate your honesty but I don't understand how this could be view wrong. If we did not to procreate we could have all been gay and thinking that heterosexuality is "wrong." I feel sad that we are still dealing with hate against people who just want to go live their lives.
Offline Profile Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

In a way it shows how antiquated soaps are that this is even an issue, because primetime pop culture- particularly on cable- has moved way past this.
Edited by px780, Mar 9 2012, 12:02 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I always expected there to be backlash to this storyline. I hope it doesn't make the writers drop it. They're doing such a fine job with the whole thing and Massey is tearing the material apart, as is Hall as his supporting player.

I love how much of a cheerleader Hall is of Massey. They truly are wonderful tgether.
Offline Profile Goto Top

TrGreaves93
Member Avatar

Realistically can't win them all, I'm just glad that the writers are going about it from this angle! Good Job! I wonder is Lucas gonna be the one completely opposed to this.. cuz somehow I have a feeling Sami will not give him a hard time, especially considering... but then again.. it's Sami. We'll see :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I know it's wrong to call soap writing journalism, but if they want to actually write a piece about how an event has caused "controversy," they need to do more than cite one negative e-mail and then spend the rest of the piece saying how much support the event has gotten.

I honestly think the entire point of this piece was to say that while they know there are a few people who hate it, it isn't enough to make them pull the story so fair warning to the handful who are more bothered by gay men kissing than they are adultery, rape, murder, nighttime assaults and drenching husbands in gasoline, burying people alive both below and above ground, stealing people's organs, and the crimes against humanity that are Sami, Daniel and Melanie.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jenesais

i<3ddjmalways
Mar 8 2012, 09:54 PM
Now I will admit when that scene aired, I fast forwarded through it. It's fine if they want to show two men kissing on TV, but it doesn't mean we all have to like it. Now, I think Chandler is an amazing actor and he did an amazing job with it. I have liked Chandler from the very beginning. I was one of the ones that was against a gay storyline in the first place but there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it. I have accepted it, and if I don't like something I will just fast forward through it or not watch at all. Simple as that. I believe people are entitled to their opinion, just because someone didn't care for the gay kiss, doesn't mean they are a bad person. They are just expressing how they feel. I won't go to the extreme by no longer watching, but like I said before I will just not watch the episode of fast forward through the scene or scenes. I have watched Days on and off since 1996, there have been storylines that I have loved and ones that I have hated. Regardless, I stuck by the show, except when Deidre and Drake left, they were the main reason I watched, and without them, I didn't care, but once they came back so did I. I love them as much as I ever did. :wub:
Now I was really, really angry when there wasn't much said when Sami drugged and raped Austin, she should have gone to jail for that but of course she got off scot free. Imagine if a teenage girl saw that and thought it as okay to do that to a guy to get him to sleep with her. Not a good example to set at all. I wasn't watching when that storyline aired but I watched it on You Tube and I was just sickened by it. That disgusted me more than the gay kiss. :puke:
I have been raised to believe homosexuality is wrong, and I still do believe that but people are allowed to live their life however they choose. It's a free country but just because I believe homosexuality is wrong doesn't mean I don't have gay friends that I care about very much. They are wonderful people and if they are happy, then I'm happy for them. "Love the sinner, hate the sin." Now you can badmouth me all you want about what I just said here, but I just wanted to let you know how I feel. I'm sorry you felt the need to tell off the person who was just expressing how they feel but to each their own.
I hope Chandler keeps up the good work and of course Deidre's my girl and always will be! I commend her for her words about Chandler, a class act as always. :D

I think people who have a problem with homosexuality should take it up with the omnicient Boss who created it, not us lesser humans.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

michr544125
Mar 8 2012, 05:54 PM
The good news is it seems there was just as many people that loved the kiss as hated it. I guess ratings will do the talking. As a huge supporter of this story it will suck if ratings don't tell me what I want to hear. But the viewership for these shows is such a small demographic. I can't believe though in this country we even discuss a kiss like this. In most other countries it would be status quo... :lol: .
Even if the ratings drop I don't think the gay kiss would be to blame, even though some will point directly to it. The show has rather boring with inane dialogue and nonsense storylines recently, at least IMO. I haven't been watching as much lately and it has nothing to do with Will's story, it's all the other BS being shoveled at me!
Offline Profile Goto Top

MyHappyEnding

I'm more offended by this show trying to pass off that a woman would EVER fall in love with a man she claims raped her twice them I am by two people kissing. And I think half the people claiming they stopped watching the show because of this storyline are full of shit. If I'm so heinously offended by the very existence of children between EJ and Sami and I'm still watching my bet is they are too and the statements are simply to add to the drama.
Edited by MyHappyEnding, Mar 9 2012, 10:37 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

WGuyMd35

Quote:

Now I will admit when that scene aired, I fast forwarded through it. It's fine if they want to show two men kissing on TV, but it doesn't mean we all have to like it. Now, I think Chandler is an amazing actor and he did an amazing job with it. I have liked Chandler from the very beginning. I was one of the ones that was against a gay storyline in the first place but there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it. I have accepted it, and if I don't like something I will just fast forward through it or not watch at all. Simple as that.

Yes, I agree. There are lots of things on this show that are offensive from the premarital sex, the breaking of marriage vows, murders, rapes, kidnappings, bribery, lies, stealing -just to name a few. If you don't like it, you can fast forward thru those scenes.

I for instance find the love scenes between John and Marlena sickening and disgusting. It's fine if they want to show a man and woman kissing on TV, but it doesn't mean we all have to like it. Now, I think Drake and Diedre are amazing actors and they do an amazing job with it. I have liked them from the very beginning. I was one of the ones that was against a romance story in the first place but there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it. I have accepted it, and if I don't like something I will just fast forward through it or not watch at all. Simple as that.

I have been raised to believe heterosexuality is wrong, and I still do believe that but people are allowed to live their life however they choose. It's a free country but just because I believe heterosexuality is wrong doesn't mean I don't have straight friends that I care about very much. They are wonderful people and if they are happy, then I'm happy for them.

(I did this in satire, no one really thinks the DHs are amazing actors! ;o) Seriously, no offense intended. But I hope it conveys the rediculousness of the arguement. Being gay is a natural and normal part of life. Some are born with blond hair, others red, others brown. Some have blue eyes, some green. Some people are smart, others not-so-much. Some are straight, some are gay. It's no more a sin than eating shellfish, shaving your beard, wearing synthetic clothing, and many of the other sins in the bible that no one pays attention to.)
Edited by WGuyMd35, Mar 9 2012, 10:21 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jtsahottie
Member Avatar
If I woke from a coma and Channing Tatum told me he was my husband... I'd Believe Him!

A gay kiss... so what! That's gonna make people stop watching when we still have people watching lies, murder, kidnapping and victims hooking up with their rapists??? PULEEZE
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lil
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Mar 8 2012, 05:02 PM
SOD: Days First Gay Kiss Sparks Controversy

Will's first gay kiss on February 23 has generated a passionate response from Days of Our Lives viewers, who are divided in their opinion.

"Been a longtime viewer of Days for over 50 [years]....the day [two] men kissed could be my last episode. I realize that in today's times people think that it is all right, but [it's] pretty sickening to me," D.S emailed Digest.

In sharp contrast, M.R. wrote to us saying, "I have never been so proud of the show as I was when I watched Will's first kiss with another guy. That was the most intense and real depiction I have seen for a 'first kiss' on daytime between two guys. Thank you, DAYS, for showing how it is and for not watering it down. Will has tried to hide himself away for his entire life. I am so glad he finally acted on his true feelings and I cannot wait to continue watching him come to terms with being gay. Chandler Massey [Will] has been amazing with this story thus far!"

The show is also getting feedback from fans. Co-Head Writer Marlene McPherson tells Digest, "We are hearing [from] fans that they could relate to what Will is going through and they are glad we are taking a chance to portray something in such a realistic way."

Deidre Hall (Marlena) adds, "With the possible exception of the 'possession' storyline, I have never been so besieged by fans as I was this weekend wanting to talk about the Friday show and Will's confession about kissing a man. We had shot the scenes so long ago I had forgotten that I literally held my breath as Chandler played the scene. I was stopped by fans, actors, and even a photographer who wanted to tell me he wept during the scenes. I wrote a thank you to the fans for supporting the storyline on my Facebook page. Over 200 posts talked about what the Friday scenes meant to them. Well done, everyone!"

Credit: http://secondchanceslumi.com/topic/6692371/1/
Aww...I love Deidre Hall so much! And that first a-hole who was "disgusted" needs to realize that gay people exist and have the same thoughts/feelings/impulses/issues/needs/wants as straight people. Jeez... I think Will's coming out has been the s/l to beat all since the reset and I loved the kiss! I love the way CM has played every part of this story and am definitely among the fans who are praising it. In fact, I haven't really heard anyone trashing it (although I only have a select few friends who watch the show and this is really the only board I read lol but still!)

To Hell with homophobes and haters.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lil
Member Avatar

MyHappyEnding
Mar 9 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm more offended by this show trying to pass off that a woman would EVER fall in love with a man she claims raped her twice them I am by two people kissing. And I think half the people claiming they stopped watching the show because of this storyline are full of shit. If I'm so heinously offended by the very existence of children between EJ and Sami and I'm still watching my bet is they are too and the statements are simply to add to the drama.
Right!!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lil
Member Avatar

WGuyMd35
Mar 9 2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:

Now I will admit when that scene aired, I fast forwarded through it. It's fine if they want to show two men kissing on TV, but it doesn't mean we all have to like it. Now, I think Chandler is an amazing actor and he did an amazing job with it. I have liked Chandler from the very beginning. I was one of the ones that was against a gay storyline in the first place but there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it. I have accepted it, and if I don't like something I will just fast forward through it or not watch at all. Simple as that.

Yes, I agree. There are lots of things on this show that are offensive from the premarital sex, the breaking of marriage vows, murders, rapes, kidnappings, bribery, lies, stealing -just to name a few. If you don't like it, you can fast forward thru those scenes.

I for instance find the love scenes between John and Marlena sickening and disgusting. It's fine if they want to show a man and woman kissing on TV, but it doesn't mean we all have to like it. Now, I think Drake and Diedre are amazing actors and they do an amazing job with it. I have liked them from the very beginning. I was one of the ones that was against a romance story in the first place but there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it. I have accepted it, and if I don't like something I will just fast forward through it or not watch at all. Simple as that.

I have been raised to believe heterosexuality is wrong, and I still do believe that but people are allowed to live their life however they choose. It's a free country but just because I believe heterosexuality is wrong doesn't mean I don't have straight friends that I care about very much. They are wonderful people and if they are happy, then I'm happy for them.

(I did this in satire, no one really thinks the DHs are amazing actors! ;o) Seriously, no offense intended. But I hope it conveys the rediculousness of the arguement. Being gay is a natural and normal part of life. Some are born with blond hair, others red, others brown. Some have blue eyes, some green. Some people are smart, others not-so-much. Some are straight, some are gay. It's no more a sin than eating shellfish, shaving your beard, wearing synthetic clothing, and many of the other sins in the bible that no one pays attention to.)
LOL!!!

:cheers:
Offline Profile Goto Top

WGuyMd35

Quote:

Last time I checked, posters had a right to their opinions without being mocked and attacked. If you don't like it, that's your right but I found this post in very bad taste. Everyone here does not have to enjoy seeing two men kiss and does not have to be cool with homosexuality. As long as the poster's respectful, they deserve respect.

Exactly. Everyone does deserve respect and it's not being given. Everytime someone says they don't want to see guys kissing or don't "agree" with homosexuality, its insulting and disrespectful to those of us here who are gay - even if it's said "politely".

The whole point of this thread is how something as natural as a kiss is causing a controversy. It shouldn't be. All I did was change the genders on an "against" post to illustrate how silly the debate is. Saying you are against guys kissing is the same as someone saying they are against a male/female kiss. Its also just as silly as saying inter-racial couples are repulsive and not wanting to see it on television. No one would dare say that, so why is it acceptable for someone to say they don't want to see guys kiss? There is NO difference, it's bullying and insulting no matter how it's phrased.

Edited by WGuyMd35, Mar 9 2012, 03:06 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

i<3ddjmalways
Member Avatar
What a beautiful couple!

Aliaron
Mar 9 2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:

Last time I checked, posters had a right to their opinions without being mocked and attacked. If you don't like it, that's your right but I found this post in very bad taste. Everyone here does not have to enjoy seeing two men kiss and does not have to be cool with homosexuality.

As long as the poster's respectful, they deserve respect.

Thank You! :)

Not everyone is going to be okay with it but yet when we voice our opinion we are considered insulting and disrespectful. Excuse me, last time I checked it was a free country. We all have our own opinions and feelings about things and we aren't all going to agree. The person didn't even pay attention to what I really said in my post, just because I don't like homosexuality doesn't mean I hate homosexuals. I have lot of gay friends whom I love very much. How dare they judge me for saying how I feel. We can't talk about God or Christianity but if we say something bad about homosexuality we are awful people. It doesn't seem fair. I tried to be nice and respectful and yet I get mocked and ridiculed. :(
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

WGuyMd35
Mar 9 2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:

Last time I checked, posters had a right to their opinions without being mocked and attacked. If you don't like it, that's your right but I found this post in very bad taste. Everyone here does not have to enjoy seeing two men kiss and does not have to be cool with homosexuality. As long as the poster's respectful, they deserve respect.

Exactly. Everyone does deserve respect and it's not being given. Everytime someone says they don't want to see guys kissing or don't "agree" with homosexuality, its insulting and disrespectful to those of us here who are gay - even if it's said "politely".

The whole point of this thread is how something as natural as a kiss is causing a controversy. It shouldn't be. All I did was change the genders on an "against" post to illustrate how silly the debate is. Saying you are against guys kissing is the same as someone saying they are against a male/female kiss. Its also just as silly as saying inter-racial couples are repulsive and not wanting to see it on television. No one would dare say that, so why is it acceptable for someone to say they don't want to see guys kiss? There is NO difference, it's bullying and insulting no matter how it's phrased.

Disagree. If someone said they don't like seeing old people kiss, us that an attack on the elderly? Not everyone is going to gush about same-sex relationships. Not everyone thinks its hot. If positive opinions are welcome. Then a negative opinion should also be welcome.

This is not a same-sex online rally. Its a discussion. If someone does not agree with you that does not automatically mean they are insulting you. And its definitely not bullying. They simply don't agree.

And the whole point of this thread is to discuss an article about a kiss. Not everyone thinks its natural. You basically called the person's opinion and his/her person experience rediculous... mocking the poster and the posting. Not cool.

Acceptance is a two way street.
Edited by Aliaron, Mar 9 2012, 03:51 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MyHappyEnding

Acceptance is a two way street. Acceptance of ignorance is not. Granted the person who originally posted his/her issues with same sex portrayal on TV with respect the person responding to it did so to show the ridiculousness of what he/she was saying. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to show HOW someone is being ridiculous without it seeming like you are mocking them. However if you don't want to hear someone challenge your opinion then don't post it. You can't honestly expect someone to be allowed to post homosexuality is "unnatural" and have people respond with "hey that's ok".

Challenging ignorance is our responsibility as human beings.
Edited by MyHappyEnding, Mar 9 2012, 04:16 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

The reason it's draws such ire when someone says homosexuality is "wrong" is because, unlike the sins of lust and gluttony and greed, homosexuality isn't a choice. You choose to cheat on your spouse. You choose to steal. You choose to kill. You don't *choose* to be gay. Therefore, when you make comments like "homosexuality is wrong," you're cutting an entire group of people to their core -- the very fiber of their being -- and it's hard not to take it personally when you're being lambasted over something you have no control over. It's like being insulted over the way you look or a physical deformity of some kind. It's just hurtful. It's particularly hurtful to questioning youth who feel they have nowhere to turn and no one they can trust. The last thing they need is their classmates learning that homosexuality is wrong and then using that judgment to torment anyone in their class they perceive to be gay. This is what leads to teen suicide. Shit rolls downhill, you know? Children learn what their parents teach them.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic