Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for March 5th - 9th; All Soaps Down
Topic Started: Mar 16 2012, 05:32 PM (2,741 Views)
CarlD2

talbab1994
Mar 16 2012, 06:10 PM
badaddiction
Mar 16 2012, 06:07 PM
I'm really enjoying GH and B&B. I hope the viewers stick around. GH had Robin's funeral today and it was all kinds of sad, and I'm usually not a Jason fan, but the gutted look on his face when Carly told him of Robin's death was heartbreaking.
This is the first time in YEARS that I'm watching this show everyday. A HUGE change in the show-- it really has gotten loads better. I really hope that people will come back and give the show a chance.. it's worth it.
It seems about the same to me. Sonny and Jason and their pain are the center of attention.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AlisonLou

I don't think you can blame the Will sl entirely. The Alamania stuff and the John and Hope stuff was pretty terrible. Bringing back the 90's has been a fail so far. Days has gotten boring. And their are no couples together! Viewers want happy couples and romance!

aveRex
Member Avatar

For me, when Will is on DAYS, I'm watching. Some of the other stories are okay, but Will's storyline is my main interest.

Also on Y&R: The more episodes with Adam, the more I'm watching. Most everything else is a bleeding mess.

And for the first time in 25 years, B&B is not a daily appointment for me. I'm just not excited with the young storyline of Hope / Liam / Steffy. If they can get Bill and Katie heavily into this mix, I might pick up, but these youngsters just don't move me to watch it daily. I still like the show, but I'm fading to a one or two episode a week viewer, which is a first for me.

Aldo
Member Avatar

Interesting. Some people are speculating that the lack of Will and Sonny on the week of 3/5-3/9 might have caused the noticeable drop in male viewers.

Nothing happened to Will and/or Sonny on the week of 3/5-3/9 besides that very brief talk Will had with Marlena on March 8.

So I guess it's possible.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

I've never been convinced that one couple or character makes the ratings go up or down. I believe it's the writing and the overall storylines being shown. All I know is that I haven't been watching Days much because it's become mind numbingly boring with the same lines being repeated over and over.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

Aldo
Mar 17 2012, 07:34 AM
Interesting. Some people are speculating that the lack of Will and Sonny on the week of 3/5-3/9 might have caused the noticeable drop in male viewers.

Nothing happened to Will and/or Sonny on the week of 3/5-3/9 besides that very brief talk Will had with Marlena on March 8.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that speculation because the previous week's ratings for Monday, 2/27/12 was the lowest of that week and Will and Sonny were featured (together) on that day. IIRC, it was their first interaction after Will ran away from Sonny in the HTS. But like JDeveraux_91, no one storyline can be attributed for the rise or fall of ratings. Bottom line, the writing sucks for all storylines, at least IMO.
Edited by badaddiction, Mar 17 2012, 10:03 AM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Seriously. Everyone can keep trying to connect it to characters and stories..it's never going to work. Every character and every story and every couple has aired on good days and bad days. Ratings don't make sense and they don't give a full picture.

Cupcake06

lysie
Mar 17 2012, 09:42 AM
Seriously. Everyone can keep trying to connect it to characters and stories..it's never going to work. Every character and every story and every couple has aired on good days and bad days. Ratings don't make sense and they don't give a full picture.
A-Freaking-Men. I stopped trying to figure them out a while ago.

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

darraholic
Mar 16 2012, 08:27 PM
Seeing Y&R in the 2's on Thursday makes me smile.
:D Smiling with ya!
I'm hearing rumblings it was do to Sharon's & Adam breakup. :hmmph:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Mar 17 2012, 09:42 AM
THANK YOU!!

Seriously, you would think it wouldn't even be an issue by now. There have been times where a soap has been praised by critics and fans and the ratings have actually gone DOWN. It happens. There is no rhyme or reason to these ratings anymore. The only time you see stories really directly impact ratings is when you have some sort of special circumstance like Days' reboot in September and GH's last month and that is only because they spend weeks promoting it. If the networks actually helped their remaining soaps and did more of that, you may see more of that but that isn't going to happen. The networks don't want to bother with soaps. They either want out of them (ABC) or just want them to make a profit and don't want to overextend themselves to keep them around (CBS and NBC).

CarlD2

Aldo
Mar 17 2012, 07:34 AM

If people are watching for that story I think they're going to have to expect a lot of long waits. At this point I have no idea why Sonny would care about Will, who is too self-absorbed to care about him or much else. I also have no idea why most viewers would care about Sonny, since they have not given him any development or personality.

I think the show loves Will's interaction with Sami, and Marlena, and EJ, and the rest is perfunctory. The kiss had a "hurry up and get it over with" feel, as does most of his interaction with Sonny. Even the latest version of "you know how I know you're gay" conversation with Marlena is lackluster compared to when the show has him make the comments about Sami.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Another vet return and ratings are still in the gutter. Next up: Lisa Rinna's return to the role of Billie Reed.

When that return fails to bring up ratings as well, will TPTB finally realize they need to stop with the gimmick of vets returning and name casting and finally get to work writing good story and compelling drama?

Or will they start bringing back more characters from the past?

Maybe Charlotte Ross is available to play Eve Donovan again?
Or what about that guy who played Nick, her pimp?

Oh, I know, what about that guy who played Emilio Ramirez? He's a former love interest for Jennifer and Adrienne and they are both on the show again now...

Farah Fath's out of work I hear, maybe the show will bring back Mimi Lockhart even though none of the characters she interacted with when she was on the show originally are on the canvas right now.

It's a lot easier to call up an agent and sign a contract than it is to write good story. But enough is enough. Signing old vets is not working in bringing up the ratings. Time to just accept that!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply