Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The new Days... what do you think?
Topic Started: Mar 17 2012, 11:00 AM (11,152 Views)
DayDreamer
Member Avatar
Fan of EJ+ABBY!

Well, it has potential but they are doing huge mistakes:

1. To big cast in which most of them are not properly used. For instance as an example I don't want to see EJ on the screen only once a week. Jake is hardly on and he is great character they are not using. This leads to the next problem:

2. Stories are not progressing and things dwell on to long. I think thats has been a huge problem with the current writings.. things drags on to long and the viewers gets annoyed. The mayor ship.. way to long to the conclusion and its still ongoing. Alice secret which is still not resolved.. we have still no clue what the second secret is ... and its just weird.

3. The wrong characters are used. I don't know why they keep on keeping some characters which I find useless. The are some characters I have never liked such as Daniel, Rafe even some of the old vets. Which is barely used anyway so I don't get it when they are suddenly pulled instead of using exiting characters. Also the dynamics are totally wrong. Think about the younger cast,.. they are usually only used in pair.. rarely really interact with the other casts which i think its a shame. A few years ago the younger cast was amazing,. they where amazing.. interesting plots. The only good right now is Will and Abby.. but it could so much improve.

4. Please do continue to promp characters fans are not interested in.. like this silly Sami/Rafe which went on for 3 years.

5. And most importantly .. don't reuse old stories. Think about what people are interested to see today. This whole EJ/Nicole/Baby is so annoyingly boring.. not to mention Hope and John. And where is the interesting SLs.. I hardly see them. They had made some initial great stories but then they go and kill them with some strange development. So.. tired of this.
Edited by DayDreamer, Mar 17 2012, 01:01 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

johndoc
Member Avatar

I agree with everything you said. I also haven't watched since January 6 so that's what I think of the "new" Days! I do read the spoilers and they are horrible! Days started out great with the reboot, but then went downhill fast. John's embezzlement story could have had potential, but it just wasn't on enough and handled poorly then dropped altogether. Dee and Drake are not being used to their greatest potential either, which is why I quit watching. The John/Hope story is nuts. Fans hated it the first time. Why are they recycling it?!? The show needs help!!!!

Dorothy595
Member Avatar

1. You're complaining because E.J. is on about once a week??? He seems to be involved in practically every storyline going.

2. I find the storylines are going at a much faster pace than when we had the fired HW's. The only one I find really interesting they are milking it for all it's worth and I'm enjoying it. It is the new master plan that Stefano has going with John, Hope, Marlena and Bo. I just know it's leading up to something big that will probably come to a head during May Sweeps. As for the other plots, Sami the mole, Abby the obsessive exposed, Will coming out, and even the courtship and marriage of Victor and Maggie. These all happened at a much quicker pace with the new HW's and writers we have now. Even when EJ and Sami's son went missing...he was found rather quickly which led to yet another round of Sami/EJ sex leading into another storyline involving E.J.
EJ for Mayor happened rather fast and now I'm waiting for him to be exposed. Hope that happens as quickly!!

3. We all have our favorite characters. I enjoyed Rafe with Sami but now I'm leaning toward Lumi again. I agree there are some characters that are useless but not many in my opinion. Let's face it, when they bring back the ones that we have missed for so long they either don't use them properly or even if they do they don't seem to stick around long before they are dismissed from the show. If there is only one person I could get rid of it would be Ian. The guy gives me the creeps.

4. We all also have different ideas in which characters we find uninteresting. For me it's Madison/Brady,
and the other is Billie, Austin and Carrie. Which do you find boring?

5. Ahh! Here we agree. Now Nicole is living Sami's nightmare being pregnant with EJ's child and hiding it from him. We have the Princess Gina and the Pawn again... Kate going after Sami again.... and more, just can't think of them right now. :)

SlyestFox
Member Avatar

Quote:

Jake is hardly on and he is great character they are not using.

Yeah, we hardly see Jake Kositchek at all! Or do you mean Jack? :P

tylerbo20

the cast is too big they need a murder mystery/ or natural disaster to off most of them lol...daniel/rafe/gabby/melanie-i have been able to stomach her latley because she has no real storyline aand Roman/Brady/Madison

DayDreamer
Member Avatar
Fan of EJ+ABBY!

Dorothy595
Mar 17 2012, 11:44 AM
.. SEE BELOW.
Quote:

You're complaining because E.J. is on about once a week??? He seems to be involved in practically every storyline going.

Well for me EJ is the most interesting character on Days.. but that was just an example. There are many others that is barely on... thats the problem with to large acting crew.

Quote:

Days started out great with the reboot, but then went downhill fast. John's embezzlement story could have had potential, but it just wasn't on enough and handled poorly then dropped altogether.

You are completely right, I was so disappointed with that. Also making EJ behind it was not the best choice.. it would have been much more interesting if Brady was behind it (unintentionally or not)..and considering the way Brady acted then it made sense. Now he is bad pals with this father... they lost an really interesting development.

Its like they wanted Brady to stay good.. which I think is foolish. Its so more interesting with gray characters and less predictable than having "bad guys" such as EJ or Stefano to be the false all the time. And I think that is a huge problem DOOL is facing now. They just won't let it go of the bad and the good fights. It gets predictable and .. well not entertaining if they don't let go of that now and then.

For instance Bold and the Beautiful uses their cast dynamics in a good way. DOOL does okay sometimes.. its just that sometimes they make really scenes and sometimes it just fails. I am reading a lot of disappointed viewers and that is not a good sign, obviously something must have gone wrong.

I am just so disappointed,.. and hope they listen and get better pronto. I want to keep seeing DOOL and the characters I love in interesting stories. Please...
Edited by DayDreamer, Mar 17 2012, 01:17 PM.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

What do I think of the new Days? :sleep: :sleep: SUPER boring as of late. I don't what the hell they are doing with some of these storylines. John/Hope/Stefano makes me roll my eyes and hit the mute button when they start playing that dumb background music. Looks like we have another woman hiding a pregnancy from EJ, how original! :eyeroll: Rafe and Daniel are still perfect and everyone's heroes. :puke: Every time Will's storyline picks up, it seems to lose momentum quickly for a while. What happened to Jack's PTSD? The new anointed "supercouple" Brady and Madison suck to high heaven and the only positive thing in their storyline is bad Ian. So what I am trying to say is .... I'm not impressed at all with the new rebooted Days. All the big returns and buildup to it was a big letdown.

hootaboi

I also think the "reboot" started out great and then started to slowly unravel :unsure: , which is a shame because I can't remember the last time we had so many popular vets on the show.

Another problem is that the writers and or the producers don't seem to want to admit that certain pairings (Brady and Madison, Daniel and Anyone) and characters (Chad, Gabi, Melanie, Daniel,Madison) just don't work.

Another thing holding back the show from success is that their trying to Milk past story lines (Pawn/Gina, ISA, Nicole's Miracle Pregnancy, someone being obsessed with Austin) without adding anything original to it flesh it out. :shame:

And their missing out on opportunities to bring back story threads that would acutally WORK on the show now like

- Rebuilding Jack and Billie's Friendship and maybe have it grow into something more - causing Jack and Jen to realize they belong together

- Making Ian a Tuscano (spelling?)
Edited by hootaboi, Mar 17 2012, 03:18 PM.

Mirage75
Member Avatar

Honestly, I loathe everything about it. I loathe returns of John, Marlena, Daniel, Austin, Carrie, Billie, Lucas, and a few others.

All the stories are boring and uninteresting. With the same damn overused characters- Hope, Rafe, Sami, EJ, Bo, Melame, Daniel, Jennifer, Abby, Chad,John, Marlena, Kate, Stefano, Brady and few others.

I hate all the new characters that have come on Madison, Ian, etc...

I hate all the new sets. I hate they took away the Cheatin' Heart. :(

The most importantly I hate that my favs- Justin and Adrienne got shoved to the way, way, way, back-burner. That is the biggest thing I hate about this show. I have nothing to watch on regular bases because my favs are being horribly ignored so the writers can shove their favs down my throat everyday.

Wasting the talents of Wally, Judi, Matt, John A., Suzanne, Freddie Smith, Ari, is a huge crime in my opinion. I rather see more of them than the ones that are on everyday. There is NO excuse to keep most of these characters on the backburner. Granted Ari is not, but she deserves better stories than the crap they are giving her now.

This show sucks to high heaven right now. And I refuse to watch this crap. These writers are hacks.

Nothing on this show makes me happy except for the falling ratings.

Corday and crew need to get a damn clue ASAP!!!
Edited by Mirage75, Mar 17 2012, 03:07 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I'm just bored. I'm not offended by it being unwatchable garbage the way I was from spring 2010 through the end of Dena's regime, but most of it is uninteresting to me.

It does feel like it's been really messy the last few weeks--like aimless and lacking direction. I don't know how much of that could be due to Lisa de Cazotte coming in. Even the stories I was interested in (like Abby and Austin) lost me. I think Marlene and Darrell actually write most of the characters pretty decently, but they just have no idea how to execute the stories. Things get dropped and then nobody cares by the time they get back to it. I would agree that a major issue is that they really don't seem to know how to juggle this large cast. I'd suggest, as always, that they get rid of Sami and Daniel and it would be amazing how much the show would improve.

Kriss4

For me, it's a mixed bag.

When I watch Days, which admittedly is not every day, I am impressed by Chandler Massey, who is doing a good job of playing Will. That's a good young actor right there. I also think Deidre has found new life in the role of Marlena . She's doing a good job in the Will story, and I think it's good to see Marlena as an individual, rather than simply being "the one in love with John." Deidre seems INTERESTED in what she's doing. Maybe she senses the importance of telling this tale sensitively, given the fact that it's Days first foray into a young man's journey of self-discovery.

I don't know what else to recommend, though. I do like Jack and would like to see more of him. I'm not sure HOW I feel about Jennifer anymore. She's not being consistently written and if Jennifer's supposed to have been torn over her love for Jack v. Daniel, I didn't see it Missy's portrayal.

I think it's a shame the show won't show more of Wally and Judi as Justin and Adrienne. Their son's story should have been more complex. A coming out story on a soap can't be that simple, can it? Give that story some layers, and some conflict. Seems to me that Freddie can handle it.

I'd love to see them use Kayla in a real story and I hope they do.

EJ's fine. I don't hate him or anything, but I don't find his romances compelling anymore and that's because they're "on again/off again" affairs that don't really stick and his mind changes with the blowing of the wind. He's involved in some capacity in most of the stories on Days...I know he has fans and I don't object to his presence, but if they're gonna have him on all the time, show him in transition.
I miss character growth and development that STICKS. You used to be able to watch a character grow and change and learn, and it didn't happen in a day or a week, either.

Carrie's a serial cheater in my mind and that's unfortunate. She can try to blame Austin, but from where I sit, she wanted out of the marriage before and was just looking for her excuse. Rafe is a convenient reason for her to take a hike. I didn't think Carrie would turn out the way she has.

She cheated on Austin with Mike. She dumped Austin when Lexie gave her that false report and turned to Lucas, whom she didn't love. She then slept with Lucas and Austin on the SAME NIGHT, literally going from Lucas' bed to Austin's in a few scant minutes.
And now she's in love with Rafe?

So weak.

Abby's riding on the Crazy Train, but she could be a character who makes things happen, like Sami of old. We shall see...

The thing about it is that you can see talent onscreen, but the stories lack impact. Occasional episodes are good and can hold you, but overall stories lack the "can't wait to see what happens next" factor. They start out okay, but then they lose their way, which is what we've said about lots of stories over the past several years.

I have no real opinion on the whole John and Hope story with Stefano. I like each character individually, but the story isn't told in a dramatic way.
I don't know if I can have faith that the writers KNOW how to make it "must see" TV.

Edited by Kriss4, Mar 17 2012, 03:44 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I'm like Paxton. I'm sort of bored. I just watched 2 weeks' worth of recordings while I had the flu, because before, I wasn't anxious to run and watch. Ditto what Kriss said about Chandler. Chandler and Ari's acting (along with Ashford's, rarely seen) keep things compelling, even when their storylines don't make sense. I am glad to see Melanie sort of relegated to supporting friend, and Kate Mansi should be added to my list of compelling actors. I guess since I missed it, I don't have problems with the Almania story as long as it goes somewhere. The Alice secrets stories just don't seem like a good enough glue to hold storylines together.
Will's story has the potential for greatness, if it doesn't sink. Ditto Will and EJ. EJ doesn't bother me, but then again, I like tickle-fests and am sad that Nicole once again got her heart broken. But I'd rather see her with jack than anyone if it's not EJ. Think of the awesome acting scenes between Ari and Matt! What a wasted opportunity. But in the mayoral story, I loved EJ and Nicole scheming together. That is a DiMera dynasty in the making in heaven for me.
I am glad to see BD back. He's the only one for me who makes Sweeney tolerable. I kinda like Sami not being the glitter princess anymore. I would like to see someone expose Carrie for what she is.....definitely a serial cheat.
I am so glad this Daniel and Jennifer thing is over. Now give Jack something meaty to do!

lene
Member Avatar

NEW DAYS = PIECE OF SHIT.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

To keep it simple:

Underwhelming and Meh

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Watching GH this week, it shines a different light on Days for me. I think there are things that can be fixed, like story pacing, dialogue and depth of scenes, the cheese factor, and building character from this point. And then there are things that can't, like the lack of long term story, and the weak stable of non-legacy characters.

They could fire some people. But then you're either starting over from scratch with new characters, or focusing more on vets who have been mismanaged for so long that the foundation left for story is not very strong. With GH, story has often been terrible, but at least characters have been progressed and relationships maintained to some degree. There isn't a single character on Days whose death could have half the impact of Robin's.

Kriss4

I've been watching some of Robin's funeral on youtube, and GH, while far from perfect in it's handling of the funeral (sparse attendance of Robin's funeral, for example), has done a job that's head and shoulders above anything Days has produced in recent years as far as impact of a character's death and wringing emotion from you.

The last time Days did anything close to that was Shawn, Sr.'s death...and maybe John's. I thought those funerals were well done and good tributes.

They could have done better with Alice's IMO, though I give them credit for trying.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Mar 17 2012, 04:05 PM
To keep it simple:

Underwhelming and Meh

I agree. The show is boring and has very little action or payoffs. Here are some other things I don't like.

The destruction of Jennifer Rose Horton. J&J were my all time favorite couple and what Days has done to them is a disgrace. Jack is barely on and his PTSD seems to have been forgotten. I didn't have a problem with not reuniting J&J right away after Jack returned. However, I didn't expect Jennifer to be so cruel to Jack. I could have even been OK with her being in love with someone else. However, Days rushed Dannifer so bad that I never bought their true love. I am not sure I can ever support them again as a couple.

The destruction of Maggie in making her Daniel's mother.

Not using Justin and Adrienne as Wally and Judi are some of the better actors on the show.

The pacing on the show is terrible. Some stories move at lightening speed while others creep along for ever.

Rehashing stories that have been done to death. Carrie cheating, another pregnancy being hidden from EJ, Jope, Princess Gina and John.

The continued propping of Daniel Jonas. The eggbaby story was one of the worst in Days history. Why Days continues to try and make this character work is beyond me.

The balance is better as there is no character on an average of four days a week. However, there is still something off. Days seems to focus on one story and forget others for weeks at a time. This ties in with the pacing.

I don't need to see the Horton Town Square every freaking day. The wardrobe and hair styling still sucks and hasn't improved at all.

Give Bo Brady something to do besides dealing with envelopes and safety deposit boxes.

Edited by dc cubs, Mar 17 2012, 04:26 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

My main problem with the show is still the budget. There are so few sets and all of them look like shit.

CarlD2

Kriss4
Mar 17 2012, 04:22 PM
I've been watching some of Robin's funeral on youtube, and GH, while far from perfect in it's handling of the funeral (sparse attendance of Robin's funeral, for example), has done a job that's head and shoulders above anything Days has produced in recent years as far as impact of a character's death and wringing emotion from you.

The last time Days did anything close to that was Shawn, Sr.'s death...and maybe John's. I thought those funerals were well done and good tributes.

They could have done better with Alice's IMO, though I give them credit for trying.

To me it has felt like Robin's death was going through the motions, especially when they make so much of it about people who just have the same reactions to everything (like Maxie and Sonny) and when they went out of their way to have her father skip the funeral.

I think there are characters on DAYS who would have that impact if it was handled the proper way. Jennifer, for one. If they killed her off and really showed the depth of shock, pain, and grief.

There is no real depth in anything on the show now, because the characters are so inconsistent. You have to take guesses how people feel, because the show changes it again and again. Many of the characters seem so fickle and just impossible to believe in. I have no idea what Carrie is supposed to feel. Or Jennifer. Or Sami.

They just seem to write for moments, not characters, or stories. So the dead baby sex was a "moment", which led to a lot of shouting and not a lot else.

They also repeat so many old storylines. It seems like desperation.

michr544125

About ready to tune out again because there is nothing exciting going on.

Abby, Gabbi, Melanie are all written as identical younger characters and the stories are even written at the same time.

Sonny who was once full of life under the old writers and was headed somewhere as a character has been turned into Will's s main day gay player and in all of the months here has yet to even be shown holding another guy's hands or go on a date

Jack also has been turned into a day player for Jennifer and Abby

Justin, Adrienne, Kayla, Victor, Maggie all get almost no airtime

Another hidden pregnancy with Nicole

EJ/Sami/Lucas/Nicole/Daniel/Billie/etc. Make your mind up which way you are going already with these couples.

Will's coming out story has dragged and dragged with no development and it makes no sense he hasn't come out since all of Salem just about is having a celebratory toast that he is gay.

Princess Gina???

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply