Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Weekly Character Discussion: Marlena
Topic Started: Mar 21 2012, 11:33 AM (4,931 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Every week we'll have a new thread for a different character; this week's is Marlena. The purpose of this thread is to give both positive and negative feedback about the writing, characterization, and portrayal of the character. As always, the daily thread is the place to discuss specific episodes and scenes; this thread is for any and all thoughts on the character, the character's history, family relationships, and what you'd like to see for him/her. Feel fee to post pictures and clips if you'd like.

We'll be locking these at the end of each week and giving another character a turn.

This is not a place for fanbase fighting; please know before posting that there will be people in here who disagree with you, and if you have a different opinion that one stated, please just state your own respectfully. The point of this thread is to get feedback from everyone, good or bad.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lil
Member Avatar

I love Marlena. More of her, please :-)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

Ah...Marlena. My favorite topic, next to John and Marlena. :) I want more of her on my screen. This last month, we've only seen her 3x's (once per week) so I can only assume they are saving her up for this safehouse storyline and when she and John reunite! Please give us a good reunion scene. I'm not expecting the Pier...

But, even this would nice! :wub:

Offline Profile Goto Top

peaches179

Lil
Mar 21 2012, 11:34 AM
I love Marlena. More of her, please :-)

ICAM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Love love love Marlena! Never realized how much until she was gone.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

DrewHamilton
Mar 21 2012, 12:06 PM
I completely agree. I always loved her, but you never realized how much she added to the show until she wasn't there anymore. She's ingrained in the fabric of a show and it's a comfort just having her there. I would hope that TPTB will never make the bonheaded mistake of firing her, again.
Offline Profile Goto Top

specialcases
Member Avatar
your own "personal" Jesus

Marlena is the reason I started watching this show, and will always be the reason I have any vested interest in it. Her scenes a few weeks ago with Sami were delicious....I'm looking forward to seeing today's eppy when she gives everyone at the pub the smackdown....especially telling Sami "don't you dare speak!" hahaha

She definitely needs to be given more....she needs to be front and center, but man has Dee been wonderful when she is on....better than ever, I dare say.....she's bringing Marlena to a whole new level....pay attention MarDar!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lil
Member Avatar

specialcases
Mar 21 2012, 01:14 PM
Marlena is the reason I started watching this show, and will always be the reason I have any vested interest in it. Her scenes a few weeks ago with Sami were delicious....I'm looking forward to seeing today's eppy when she gives everyone at the pub the smackdown....especially telling Sami "don't you dare speak!" hahaha

She definitely needs to be given more....she needs to be front and center, but man has Dee been wonderful when she is on....better than ever, I dare say.....she's bringing Marlena to a whole new level....pay attention MarDar!
Seriously...she shines this time around!! I too would like to see her at the center of a storyline, but nonetheless am enjoying her involvement with Sami, Carrie, Jack and of course Will. She is fantastic :-)
Offline Profile Goto Top

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

LOVE Marlena and Will's relationship! Probably my favorite thing since the reset!
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Mar 21 2012, 12:06 PM
And while she was gone, I realized why... Marlena seems like home. For me, yeah, she was and is my favorite character, but there's just something about her that is so ... home. The show needs her because she's its heart and soul. There's just something warm and comforting about her that the show needs, IMO.

Favorite character. FAVORITE FREAKING CHARACTER! Surprised? No? Weeeelllll... I'm easy to read. Marlena's the most interesting character, and I really wish writers would take advantage of her history and WRITE for her. Deidre can carry a story all by herself if needed (even though I prefer it be J&M as a married couple), take advantage of it, dammit! She can have her own story AND still interact with other characters. I love her interaction with Will and Jack, but I also want her to actually have scenes with her husband.

I mean, look at her history, everything the character's been through. Rape, lost two children, stalked, deaths of husbands, obsessive men, missing years, kidnappingS... there's a lot to draw on and use for future story.

I'm still surprised they haven't done a cancer story. Or at least a scare. Such a soap staple, and Marlena's a staple.
Offline Profile Goto Top

sonulle
Member Avatar

Já zbožňuji silné charaktery a Marlena je pro mě jeden z nejsilněj. Ona je můj hrdina.
Offline Profile Goto Top

graceadler
Member Avatar

I remember watching Days with my grandmother when I was like 6 yrs old and Marlena was the first character I really liked. She was so pretty, like a real life Barbie doll. I've loved Marlena, and Deidre, from day one. I'm fine with her councelling people but she needs a story of her own too.
Offline Profile Goto Top

sonulle
Member Avatar

I love the strong characters and Marlena is for me one of the strongest. She is my hero.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

To put it simple, I HATED Marlena before, she was self righteous,bossy and always horny for John. I never saw the fascination with her and John either, they kiss like they are eating a shark, they are beyond repetitive in their scenes. Presently, I actually like Marlena now :o , I still don't like her with John but I love her scenes with Will. I also love how she sets Sami straight, that is the highlight of the show for me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I rooted for Kristen in the 90s and never really cared for Marlena much...until, as others said, she was gone. I prefer her in a supporting role at this point, though. The character's been through so much it's hard to imagine any more, mostly because I think Days would only do frontburner as part of a love triangle and I don't believe in that with John/Marlena (not a shipper really but I buy that they're trueloveforever and it would take a lot of convincing for me to believe them even looking at anyone else).

Plus I think she adds depth as a supporting. Her interaction with Jack was fantastic. Her role in Will's story is great, too. In a way I think she anchors things even as that supporting element. More of a feeling than a rational thought, though- I just like her more this way.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jaygal
Member Avatar

JamesScott_19
Mar 21 2012, 02:58 PM
To put it simple, I HATED Marlena before, she was self righteous,bossy and always horny for John. I never saw the fascination with her and John either, they kiss like they are eating a shark, they are beyond repetitive in their scenes. Presently, I actually like Marlena now :o , I still don't like her with John but I love her scenes with Will. I also love how she sets Sami straight, that is the highlight of the show for me.
Agree. There are times when ff her scenes with John but on the whole I don't dislike her as much as I used to.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

I love Marlena as an individual, but when she's with John...I just love her all the more. For me, the two evoke such a passion and chemistry on-screen that is just undeniable. They had people rooting for them as a couple when she was married to Roman (when she came back from the dead) and they had been a supercouple in their own right. But, when Drake came on the scene as Roman in '86 there was a passion and intent there that wasn't there before. It couldn't be denied even when Wayne came back and took back over the role.

The audience were actually wanting for Marlena to cheat on her husband with John. They didn't want the baby to be Roman's, they wanted it to be John's. (As did Dee. See clip below.)

(Skip to 5:08)
Offline Profile Goto Top

AHM

I've always liked Marlena for having a certain dignity about her and because I just expect her to be a part of Days; however, she's never been a character that punches me in the gut and makes me really care about her. I do think, though I don't think she was the most obviously necessary return, she's been the best handled return. I also think being a supporting character is good for her now, and px780 has pretty much described why perfectly:
px780
Mar 21 2012, 02:59 PM
I prefer her in a supporting role at this point, though. The character's been through so much it's hard to imagine any more, mostly because I think Days would only do frontburner as part of a love triangle and I don't believe in that with John/Marlena (not a shipper really but I buy that they're trueloveforever and it would take a lot of convincing for me to believe them even looking at anyone else).

Plus I think she adds depth as a supporting. Her interaction with Jack was fantastic. Her role in Will's story is great, too. In a way I think she anchors things even as that supporting element. More of a feeling than a rational thought, though- I just like her more this way.
Edited by AHM, Mar 21 2012, 03:59 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I like Marlena when she is away from John. I loved her when John "died" back in 2006/7 or so. I like now in storylines without John e.g. her relationship with Will.

FWIW, I didn't like her with Roman either (Wayne Northropp), but he wasn't as bad as Drake. Frankly, I think she could do much better than both John and Roman.
Offline Profile Goto Top

luvmysoaps

I have always been a Marlena fan. I love her relationship with Will and even her combative relationship with Sammi. Always drama in that last one. I especially love the John/Marlena love story.
I did not care for the advice she gave Carrie regarding Rafe since it seemed to support Carrie going after him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic