Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Weekly Character Discussion: Marlena
Topic Started: Mar 21 2012, 11:33 AM (4,935 Views)
bstreis
Member Avatar
No matter what you think, I DO love you.

Ah Marlena, I *heart* her so. Marlena is hands down my favorite DAYs character EVER. I love her with John and if I take only the totally kick ass things they've been through together (and ignore the crap written for them) they have a love that's just so deeply rooted in each other that one could not be if the other disappeared. It's so codependantly delicious. Sure sure they'll live on if one dies but a part of them will die with the other and they'd never be the same after.

And although I love her with John, I think she's pretty bad-ass on her own. She's strong and tough, compassionate and caring, and on and on. She's just got so many characteristics that makes her awesome in my book, both bad and good. And I think someone once said...she's every guys fantasy and every girls friend. I'd love to be Marlena's friend but it'll have to be takeout or eating out when we get together for dinners, cause we know she can't cook worth a damn and well I'm definitely too lazy for all that, haha.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Marlena was one of my favorite characters in the 70s/80s. Loved her with Don and original Roman. Didn't like her quite as much when she was paired with John but still had a fondness for her. I've been enjoying her this run, she seems more like her old (70s/80s) self somehow. I'm happy that she's back.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alana
Member Avatar

I love Marlena, because in my book she is the only woman on Days that has an impeccable, classy fashion style. I love how she celebrates the "less is more style". She 's so much European in this respect, an excellent example of Parisian and Milan fashion(okay , all of us who had to go through that period...please let us forget the 80's!!). I bet that none of the Day's hair and fashion idiots is allowed to interfere with her idea of the "Marlena style"!! Whether I like the writing for her or not I always tune in to just see what Marlena is up to fashion wise...the turtleneck and jeans she wore lately were absolutely hip.
Offline Profile Goto Top

hops
Member Avatar

Marlena (and John) are the reason I started watching Days in the first place. Flipping channels one day and they made me flip back. I guess I was lucky. They were exactly the kind of soap couple I had always hoped for, but in the beginning I was afraid to get too invested because I had watched soaps before and I knew the drill, lol. I just didn't want to see that happen to them. When I like something, I like it..the end, lol, and for me they were the very best. Have to say that 19 years later I feel the same way about them. I was also lucky because they had such great stories, that only made their love for each other, and mine for them stronger. I loved that they didn't play mean games with each other, and that circumstances beyond their control kept them apart...if they had a choice, you always knew they would choose each other...you just had (have) to look at the way they look at each other. And ya...I love their passion for each other.

To top it all off, there was Marlena. A strong, beautiful, smart, fun, sweet character who loved her family and John with all her heart and always tried to do the right thing. When she makes a mistake, she never makes excuses. She takes responsibility no matter the consequences. She is fierce. She's a friend, Mother, Stepmother, Grandmother, best friend and Wife and would do anything for the people in her life. Love her. I hope she is front burner soon, because for me she is the heart of the show.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

jam6242
Mar 21 2012, 05:52 PM
Marlena was one of my favorite characters in the 70s/80s. Loved her with Don and original Roman. Didn't like her quite as much when she was paired with John but still had a fondness for her. I've been enjoying her this run, she seems more like her old (70s/80s) self somehow. I'm happy that she's back.
She should be even sassier though. Marlena is super sassy. They've certainly sassed her up from what the Langan, Dena etc had her, but Marlena Evans = sassy. She just is. That's why she became so popular. She was her own woman, strong, sassy, smart and yet vulnerable and romantic.

I think either Deidre has the hairdressers wrapped around her fingers or she does it herself, because hers looks really good, some of the others... Not s'much.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

hops
Mar 21 2012, 06:29 PM
Marlena (and John) are the reason I started watching Days in the first place. Flipping channels one day and they made me flip back. I guess I was lucky. They were exactly the kind of soap couple I had always hoped for, but in the beginning I was afraid to get too invested because I had watched soaps before and I knew the drill, lol. I just didn't want to see that happen to them. When I like something, I like it..the end, lol, and for me they were the very best. Have to say that 19 years later I feel the same way about them. I was also lucky because they had such great stories, that only made their love for each other, and mine for them stronger. I loved that they didn't play mean games with each other, and that circumstances beyond their control kept them apart...if they had a choice, you always knew they would choose each other...you just had (have) to look at the way they look at each other. And ya...I love their passion for each other.

To top it all off, there was Marlena. A strong, beautiful, smart, fun, sweet character who loved her family and John with all her heart and always tried to do the right thing. When she makes a mistake, she never makes excuses. She takes responsibility no matter the consequences. She is fierce. She's a friend, Mother, Stepmother, Grandmother, best friend and Wife and would do anything for the people in her life. Love her. I hope she is front burner soon, because for me she is the heart of the show.
This. All of it. You have such a way with words, my friend :)

I love that about Marlena, she never makes excuses for her mistakes. She assumes responsibilities, even when she isn't really at fault.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Poker Face
Member Avatar
"I like to be on top, Darling." - John Ross/Pamela

Love Marlena,shes my favorite character on days! i adore Deidre Hall!!! shes my QUEEN! no joke!

love jarlena's moments!!!!esp the lovin ones!!!! also warlena (aka will and marlena) relationship is one of the best rite now on the show!

i really wish i had someone like marlena in RL....i really love her to death!!!!shes my role model!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Poker Face
Member Avatar

Jarlena4Eva
Mar 21 2012, 03:32 PM
I love Marlena as an individual, but when she's with John...I just love her all the more. For me, the two evoke such a passion and chemistry on-screen that is just undeniable. They had people rooting for them as a couple when she was married to Roman (when she came back from the dead) and they had been a supercouple in their own right. But, when Drake came on the scene as Roman in '86 there was a passion and intent there that wasn't there before. It couldn't be denied even when Wayne came back and took back over the role.

The audience were actually wanting for Marlena to cheat on her husband with John. They didn't want the baby to be Roman's, they wanted it to be John's. (As did Dee. See clip below.)

(Skip to 5:08)

IA!!! i found out bout days b/c i accidentally saw a sneak peek preview u know the one where it lasts like 5min?
anyway i say hey,why not give it a shot,and there they were jarlena arguin bout gettin a divorce...and i was like woah...these 2 are on fire...also i saw rite away drake and deidre's chemistry rite away!!!!then i HAD to look over all their story...im still not done...but im gettin there,read their bio non-stop...really ive fallen for jarlena so bad,still everyday....i cant get enough of them,also i adore drake and deidre equally!so much!!!
i love everythin bout them!!! okay im gonna try to find the clip where i first saw them....okay its gone anyway it was a preview from 10-11-11 thats when i fell in luv with jarlena :wub:
Offline Profile Goto Top

KarenB

My one and only reason for watching the show. I have only watched since 1991, but have went back and watched old tapes/dvd's from early on. Loved her with Roman during The Cop and The Doc Love Story and fell in love with John and Marlena. Deidre brings class and beauty to the character of Marlena.
Marlena is one character that I believe could never be recast...There is only one Marlena and she is portrayed by the Timeless Beauty...Deidre Hall:)
Offline Profile Goto Top

hops
Member Avatar

Poker Face
Mar 21 2012, 07:30 PM

IA!!! i found out bout days b/c i accidentally saw a sneak peek preview u know the one where it lasts like 5min?
anyway i say hey,why not give it a shot,and there they were jarlena arguin bout gettin a divorce...and i was like woah...these 2 are on fire...also i saw rite away drake and deidre's chemistry rite away!!!!then i HAD to look over all their story...im still not done...but im gettin there,read their bio non-stop...really ive fallen for jarlena so bad,still everyday....i cant get enough of them,also i adore drake and deidre equally!so much!!!
i love everythin bout them!!! okay im gonna try to find the clip where i first saw them....okay its gone anyway it was a preview from 10-11-11 thats when i fell in luv with jarlena :wub:
I love that you fell in love with J&M when they came back on the last year!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Poker Face
Member Avatar

hops
Mar 21 2012, 07:39 PM
Poker Face
Mar 21 2012, 07:30 PM

I love that you fell in love with J&M when they came back on the last year!

i know!!! thank u!!! so do i!!! b/c of jarlena i joined SOC so i could gush over them....and now also DR...really i love jarlena and drake/deidre so much!!! they are my n1 couple!!!really in those months they beat every other soaps couples i ever rooted!i finally found my OTP thats john and marlena!im on twitter as well,and let me tell ya i keep talkin bout them non-stop..

okay back to wayne as roman...i agree he was a better roman than the current one.BUT now that ive been watchin RoMa clips..really wayne and deidre lacks chemistry....dont know if u guys remember but back on 1992 they went into a cabin to have some alone time,anyway they had sex 5 times straight! i kept tweetin my disgust on twitter! yuck!!! really deidre tried so hard to sell the scenes...when she was havin intimate scenes with wayne...but it didnt work!!!! instead with drake,all he has to do is walk in a room and then look at deidre and BAM! u can feel the hotness everywhere!!!! i love them so much!!!! if i didnt make that clear....hehe
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dregar

I think Marlena is a wonderful character because she is played by a wonderful person, Deidre Hall. Marlena is the epitome of what many women want: family, successful career, wonderful friends, and a husband that completely adores her. I would love to be like her!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

presley cat
Member Avatar

I have always thought that Marlena & John were the characters that bridged the generation gap in this soap. In essence they were the glue that held the show together and when they left the show lost much of its continuity.

I agree with the earlier poster that said Marlena has been the most successful veteran return. Her character easily interacts with all the generations; Jack, Sami, Will and today a heart touching scene with Caroline. A few days ago when they were at the new coffee house Victor told her Ian was a jerk. How often do we see Victor so comfortable with someone that he freely admits his mistakes?

I have always thought Marlena and Deidre was the epitomy of class . If you get the chance pick up her new Beauty paperback. It's a quick, fun read and before you finish you'll feel/wish she was your friend too.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

I love her.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Poker Face
Member Avatar

^^i know!!!!marlena is the best female character ever on days!i admire her so much!and i adore deidre so much!
i love john and marlena of course also stefano and marlena's "twisted connection".

hated her with roman (both of 'em),its still hard for me to watch her with him.

drake and deidre spreads sexual chemistry everywhere,even by just lookin at each other,they dont have to kiss or touch,u can see/feel their deep connection!!!!when marlena cries,i cry as well,when she laughs i laugh!!!really thats how amazin she is!!!i love deidre's laugh!!!so cute!!!!!Team Marlena Always!!!!

Really i feel so lucky and blessed to have met her (not in person)but to have found bout her and drake and jarlena,really im so in luv with them.i never get tired to talk bout them.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

Thank you so much for posting all of those incredible clips! As shown in the last clip, I have always loved and respected Marlena's Feistiness, Fire and Fierceness she displays. Especially, when it comes to protecting her family. Along with the compassion and love that she shows, it's incredible.

(Skip to 2:25)

Offline Profile Goto Top

peaches179

lysie
Mar 21 2012, 11:20 PM

I love her.

Me too. :wub:
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Lysie, that rape clip... It just makes me weep. It was horrible and so well acted. Kellam just LOOKED creepy.
Offline Profile Goto Top

niki

I'm not sure what it is exactly that I like about Marlena, except that i do. She's one of the few (if not the only) soap character I have never gone through bouts of disliking (even when she's being annoying I still quite like her). Maybe it's that she's one of the few that is consistently written, or portrayed. Yes there are annoying times, like the hysterical crying and weakness of the Marlena in the Alex North SL, but even then it is relatively consistent - as in not a massive change in personality like Sami's sudden goodness - and by and large she remains likeable. Maybe it's because even with all the weird shit the character goes through there's no real whining, self pity, woe is me. There's a strength I admire in taking what life deals you and dealing with it, quite often with grace. That to me is a likeable quality.

I've seen people call her judgmental and sanctimonious and I never really see that as it's usually directed at deserving people. She's also loyal. There's never been the soap-y hijinks of back stabbing and game-playing. Again, likeable traits. Am glad she's back. And yes, I am a massive J&M fan because in part who she is as a character but also who they are as a team.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

The Room Stops
Mar 22 2012, 09:08 AM
Lysie, that rape clip... It just makes me weep. It was horrible and so well acted. Kellam just LOOKED creepy.
The part that gets me is when Joshua gets there and is calling Neil, she's sitting behind him trying to put her dress back together. He looks back at her and she tries to smile at him, and she's just so sad.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic