Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Weekly Character Discussion: Marlena
Topic Started: Mar 21 2012, 11:33 AM (4,895 Views)
The Room Stops
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 22 2012, 09:15 AM
The Room Stops
Mar 22 2012, 09:08 AM
Lysie, that rape clip... It just makes me weep. It was horrible and so well acted. Kellam just LOOKED creepy.
The part that gets me is when Joshua gets there and is calling Neil, she's sitting behind him trying to put her dress back together. He looks back at her and she tries to smile at him, and she's just so sad.
I also thought it was one of the most realistic rape storylines on TV. She knew her rapist, it was violent, and the aftermath of Marlena wobbly walking to get a phone, in a trance. And they really showed the trauma. And I mean, they could have easily had Roman and Marlena jump into bed together, but because of Marlena's rape and Sam's death it took time and became a beautiful part of their story.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

niki
Mar 22 2012, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure what it is exactly that I like about Marlena, except that i do. She's one of the few (if not the only) soap character I have never gone through bouts of disliking (even when she's being annoying I still quite like her). Maybe it's that she's one of the few that is consistently written, or portrayed. Yes there are annoying times, like the hysterical crying and weakness of the Marlena in the Alex North SL, but even then it is relatively consistent - as in not a massive change in personality like Sami's sudden goodness - and by and large she remains likeable. Maybe it's because even with all the weird shit the character goes through there's no real whining, self pity, woe is me. There's a strength I admire in taking what life deals you and dealing with it, quite often with grace. That to me is a likeable quality.

I've seen people call her judgmental and sanctimonious and I never really see that as it's usually directed at deserving people. She's also loyal. There's never been the soap-y hijinks of back stabbing and game-playing. Again, likeable traits. Am glad she's back. And yes, I am a massive J&M fan because in part who she is as a character but also who they are as a team.
Which is why most people who call her judgemental and sanctimonius are either Sami or Kristen fans who didn't like that Marlena called them on their crap to their face.

I think Marlena remains consistent because Deidre plays her with a lot of herself. The nurturing, the class and the 'less is more' factor is all DH to a T. I mean, there's very, very, very few scenes where Marlena screams. And DH's said she wants it that way because she believes you'll say more with a calm voice. John's death in 2007 for example, I thought was a beautiful example of who Marlena is. Marlena was composed, quiet and just subdued. She was a tower of strength until she was alone.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lil
Member Avatar

The Room Stops
Mar 22 2012, 09:47 AM
niki
I'm not sure what it is exactly that I like about Marlena, except that i do. She's one of the few (if not the only) soap character I have never gone through bouts of disliking (even when she's being annoying I still quite like her). Maybe it's that she's one of the few that is consistently written, or portrayed. Yes there are annoying times, like the hysterical crying and weakness of the Marlena in the Alex North SL, but even then it is relatively consistent - as in not a massive change in personality like Sami's sudden goodness - and by and large she remains likeable. Maybe it's because even with all the weird shit the character goes through there's no real whining, self pity, woe is me. There's a strength I admire in taking what life deals you and dealing with it, quite often with grace. That to me is a likeable quality.

I've seen people call her judgmental and sanctimonious and I never really see that as it's usually directed at deserving people. She's also loyal. There's never been the soap-y hijinks of back stabbing and game-playing. Again, likeable traits. Am glad she's back. And yes, I am a massive J&M fan because in part who she is as a character but also who they are as a team.
Which is why most people who call her judgemental and sanctimonius are either Sami or Kristen fans who didn't like that Marlena called them on their crap to their face.

I think Marlena remains consistent because Deidre plays her with a lot of herself. The nurturing, the class and the 'less is more' factor is all DH to a T. I mean, there's very, very, very few scenes where Marlena screams. And DH's said she wants it that way because she believes you'll say more with a calm voice. John's death in 2007 for example, I thought was a beautiful example of who Marlena is. Marlena was composed, quiet and just subdued. She was a tower of strength until she was alone.
Marlena's sometimes sanctimoniousness is part of why I love her. lol I'm a Kristen AND Marlena fan.

the one I find most sanctimonious on the show is Hope, honestly. Well...lately Jennifer.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

I lovve Marlena as a character. I really love her and John togehter and hope we get a reunion soon.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

I love Marlena,especially when she is feisty.Her and John will always be my favorite couple of any show ever.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

I love the fierce mama bear Marlena, that's when she's at her best to me. I've also throughout the years loved her interactions with all her children: Carrie, Sami, Eric, Belle, and Brady through the good and "mostly" even the bad.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Poker Face
Member Avatar
"I like to be on top, Darling." - John Ross/Pamela

The Room Stops
Mar 22 2012, 09:47 AM
niki

She DID? interestin,one of the reasons i admire and love her,is also b/c marlena doesnt scream and rant like a lunatic....like her daughter....also looove how deidre just "whisper" when she threatens stefano....i always get chills!!!! really shes an amazin actress!!!!!days are lucky to have her back,along with drake. :cheer:
Offline Profile Goto Top

reagon

Marlena to me is the classic prototype for the soap heroine. She's beautiful, strong, smart, educated, and loyal.she's made her share of mistakes but unlike heroines like Jennifer or Carrie she a,ways comes across conflicted and sympathetic. I think it's her true sense of loyalty that sells that.Shes reminiscent of the kind of female soap character they just don't write for anymore.Thosee days strong women run around canvas snarking and lambasting people and sleeping around and it cheapens the characters. Marlena to this day maintains her elegance and dignity.
Edited by reagon, Mar 22 2012, 11:08 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

The show truly feels complete again with Marlena Evans Black, the true leading lady of DAYS, back on the show!

Marlena just makes everything all warm and fuzzy for me, no matter how shitty the show may be at times, when she pops on my screen I forget all about that.

Deidre Hall, the Queen of NBC Daytime ;) is back!
Offline Profile Goto Top

17dafan

I'm not one to post much, but when i do it's always Marlena related. She has been my favorite character since grade school. Her elegance, strength of character, loyalty and beauty have always impressed me. While not perfect, nor pretending to be so (why do peolpe accuse her of this?), she always tries to do what is right. Yes she has done "bad" things, but there was always a very powerful reason why and she always accepted her failings. I have also enjoyed her pairings with Don, Roman (WN) and of course, John. Who knows if in some very distant/subliminal way she even influenced my career choice. :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

17dafan

Mitchapalooza
Mar 22 2012, 11:18 AM
The show truly feels complete again with Marlena Evans Black, the true leading lady of DAYS, back on the show!

Marlena just makes everything all warm and fuzzy for me, no matter how shitty the show may be at times, when she pops on my screen I forget all about that.

Deidre Hall, the Queen of NBC Daytime ;) is back!
100% agree!!!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

ElizabethMK

Love Marlena ..... she is the only reason I watch. I do wish they would put her in a different story or give her one. I am looking forward to the story coming up. I hope it is more about her.
Offline Profile Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

lysie
The Room Stops
Lysie, that rape clip... It just makes me weep. It was horrible and so well acted. Kellam just LOOKED creepy.
The part that gets me is when Joshua gets there and is calling Neil, she's sitting behind him trying to put her dress back together. He looks back at her and she tries to smile at him, and she's just so sad.
What got me was when he came in and was going to hug her, and she said something about how she was messy. The delivery, the body language...it was awesome, and I now want to watch the rest of that storyline. I honestly did not know Hall was capable of that. She's very warm and charismatic but that was beyond what I've seen her do, with the possible exception of John's death a couple years ago.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

px780
Mar 22 2012, 01:16 PM
lysie
The Room Stops
What got me was when he came in and was going to hug her, and she said something about how she was messy. The delivery, the body language...it was awesome, and I now want to watch the rest of that storyline. I honestly did not know Hall was capable of that. She's very warm and charismatic but that was beyond what I've seen her do, with the possible exception of John's death a couple years ago.
The court scenes where Don finds out are really good too. I love when she's done on the stand. The way she tries so hard to compose herself and act normal is just so good. But I LOVE when Don comes over later and asks why she didn't call him. When she says "I did call you. You didn't answer your phone. Liz answered..." it's just SOO good.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 22 2012, 01:49 PM
px780
Mar 22 2012, 01:16 PM
lysie
The Room Stops
The court scenes where Don finds out are really good too. I love when she's done on the stand. The way she tries so hard to compose herself and act normal is just so good. But I LOVE when Don comes over later and asks why she didn't call him. When she says "I did call you. You didn't answer your phone. Liz answered..." it's just SOO good.
Oh those scenes are incredible! Just that "Liz answered your phone." And Don's reaction... I mean, her baby died, her husband blamed her, cheated on her, then she was raped and when she called her husband for help, his mistress answered... And Marlena still tried to keep it under wraps and stay strong.

I always find Deidre is best at the down-to-earth stuff, and I wish they'd give her a story and TIME to do it. I mean, her scenes are always so short. Let her build it up, and she'll slay you.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

I just re-watched Marlena's confession on the stand... My inability to watch her say "He raped me. He raped me, Don. He raped me." without tears welling up in my eyes remains intact.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

The Room Stops
Mar 22 2012, 04:51 PM
I always find Deidre is best at the down-to-earth stuff, and I wish they'd give her a story and TIME to do it. I mean, her scenes are always so short. Let her build it up, and she'll slay you.
Truer words have never been spoken! :rockon:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ginger
Member Avatar

Plain and simple, I don't like Marlena. She's way too condescending to too many people on the show, and the syrupy way she coos her lines make me want to Posted Image I especially don't like the favoritism she shows Carrie. I don't like that she thinks she's an expert on absolutely everything. I especially don't like her with John. Their kissing scenes are revolting. Possibly the botox interferes with either of them being able to kiss realistically? Her smugness has got to go.

On the plus side, the only scenes I've enjoyed her in were all because of Chandler Massey charisma, as long as she wasn't putting his mother down - yet again.

I'd vote her off the island in a heartbeat.

Offline Profile Goto Top

CarlD2

I keep meaning to finish the Marlena/Don clips, but something always gets in the way. I'm not a huge Jed Allan fan, but the dynamic between he and Deirdre Hall is very interesting to watch. Marlena is such a complex character in those scenes. I also feel fascinated by her relationship with Sam. Long-term I often wonder if it was a mistake to kill Sam off. Can you imagine her reaction to Sami?

Do you agree with those who said Jim Reilly dumbed the character down?
Offline Profile Goto Top

peaches179

CarlD2
Mar 22 2012, 10:49 PM
I keep meaning to finish the Marlena/Don clips, but something always gets in the way. I'm not a huge Jed Allan fan, but the dynamic between he and Deirdre Hall is very interesting to watch. Marlena is such a complex character in those scenes. I also feel fascinated by her relationship with Sam. Long-term I often wonder if it was a mistake to kill Sam off. Can you imagine her reaction to Sami?

Do you agree with those who said Jim Reilly dumbed the character down?

Yes. That's why I'm enjoying her so much more now. The character is grounded and I missed that about Marlena for a long time.

No more being brainwashed, and under some mind control and all that other silly nonscense. That's why I loved her scenes yesterday. THAT'S the Marlena I love to watch!

ETA: I'm planning on watching some of the Don/Marlena clips tonight. And I also agree about JA. Not big fan either. But love the scenes between him and Deidre.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic