Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Weekly Character Discussion: Marlena
Topic Started: Mar 21 2012, 11:33 AM (4,808 Views)
hops
Member Avatar

As I said in my earlier post...love Marlena. I think Deidre and Drake bring out the best in each other. Yes, Deidre has good scenes with Chandler, but those scenes are written well. Deidre and Drake just need a story with depth. They still have 'it'. I love Marlena involved with her family, but she is still a vibrant character with story to be told and so do John and Marlena as a couple. Love them both.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

This one will be simple. Some of my first vivid memories are of Marlena waking up from the dead when I was 2 or 3 years old. I was afraid of the dark because of that until I was 6. Then she became possessed when I was 7, when I'd finally began sleeping with the lights off. Needless to say, she's not one of my favorite characters. While I'm not terrified of her anymore, I do find her kind of dull. She's too holier than thou for my liking. Deidre's acting leaves much to be desired too--I can't take the gasps and over the top lines.

I do, however, like her recent scenes with both Sami and Will. She's become a voice of reason for the town and I like her in that capacity.
Edited by Spencer Hastings, Mar 25 2012, 06:01 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

hops
Mar 25 2012, 05:50 PM
As I said in my earlier post...love Marlena. I think Deidre and Drake bring out the best in each other. Yes, Deidre has good scenes with Chandler, but those scenes are written well. Deidre and Drake just need a story with depth. They still have 'it'. I love Marlena involved with her family, but she is still a vibrant character with story to be told and so do John and Marlena as a couple. Love them both.
They abso-freaking-lutely have it, and I wish they'd give them more than 20 seconds for each scene. John and Marlena in 1986 were cute and flirty and funny. John would worry, Marlena would sass and then they'd kiss and make up. They showed signs of this when they returned, but they don't have any freaking screentime! That's been the case for 15 years. Their scenes are ridiculously short. And John & Marlena have been an afterthought from Corday for how many years now? Time to give them a time to shine, isn't it? Maybe you'd see some ratings return if you actually let them have time and a good story. Cancer storyline's always a kicker. John or Marlena, doesn't matter. Prostetic cancer is the most common cancer disease there is, and they could do it beautifully. No one connects like Deidre and Drake, and Marlena's never had a cancer storyline. Marlena, the doctor, stuck with a disease that she doesn't know much about, that's killing her husband (prostetic cancer is the most curable disease, but it's a soap, they can have him get really sick)?

Marlena's never been on an adventure with John, really. I wish they'd give one of the all-time most popular couples in Daytime have a freaking adventure - together. Deidre's fit, Drake's fit, they feel safe whatever they do when working together, give them a damn chance.

I want someone to just write Marlena in character with some screentime. She can be the voice of reason and still have funny, sexy scenes with her husband. They did it before, for frak's sake. It's sad when the actors are funnier and snarkier than their characters. Real people, fictional characters.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

This thread is about Marlena/Deidre, not John/Drake. Some posts are going to disappear. Feel free to post your opinions about Drake when Drake has his own thread. Both positive and negative opinions of Deidre and Marlena are welcome, but not if they're only short sentences in the middle of long paragraphs about Drake and John. Every actor and character will have a turn.
Offline Profile Goto Top

peaches179

leela46
Mar 25 2012, 04:16 PM
I do think that Marlena has aged past being the show's leading lady anymore, but she's a very strong supporting character now. I like how the show has recently focused on her as a psychiatrist and her role as mother and grandmother. She's the perfect replacement for Alice as Salem's matriarch.

I disagree with this. The character of Erika Kane, Viki Lord, (before both shows was cancelled) and Stephanie Forrester all carried/carry frontburner storylines. Viewers wanted to see these characters in leading roles. There're in the same age group as Marlena. Good writing, and Deidre would rock a frontburner storyline. :)
Edited by peaches179, Mar 25 2012, 07:25 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

i<3ddjmalways
Member Avatar
What a beautiful couple!

peaches179
Mar 25 2012, 07:21 PM
leela46
I do think that Marlena has aged past being the show's leading lady anymore, but she's a very strong supporting character now. I like how the show has recently focused on her as a psychiatrist and her role as mother and grandmother. She's the perfect replacement for Alice as Salem's matriarch.

I disagree with this. The character of Erika Kane, Viki Lord, (before both shows was cancelled) and Stephanie Forrester all carried/carry frontburner storylines. Viewers wanted to see these characters in leading roles. There're in the same age group as Marlena. Good writing, and Deidre would rock a frontburner storyline. :)
I agree! If given the material she could definitely do it. I really miss her in that role. I hope that she gets more screentime so we can really see what she can do! ;)
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

peaches179
Mar 25 2012, 07:21 PM
leela46

She hasn't been given a chance for a loooong time. Showed great potential with John's death, but then Sami was the focus of all things, Marlena was forgotten.
Offline Profile Goto Top

quesla

I have always loved Marlena for different reasons over the years she has always been the reason i watched Days but since her returned i'm not sure .she says all the right the things but i don't know sometimes i think i'm waching one of stefano's clones. i think the lady that portrays her is amazing but there's just something going on there. i've watched this character forever and somethings not right .she 's keeping secrets from john sometime she seems afraid of him. she's not as tender with him either gentle touches i mean maybe its storyline but these writers have messed up so much since the reboot. worries me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

The Room Stops
Mar 21 2012, 02:12 PM
DrewHamilton
Mar 21 2012, 12:06 PM
Love love love Marlena! Never realized how much until she was gone.
And while she was gone, I realized why... Marlena seems like home. For me, yeah, she was and is my favorite character, but there's just something about her that is so ... home. The show needs her because she's its heart and soul. There's just something warm and comforting about her that the show needs, IMO.

Favorite character. FAVORITE FREAKING CHARACTER! Surprised? No? Weeeelllll... I'm easy to read. Marlena's the most interesting character, and I really wish writers would take advantage of her history and WRITE for her. Deidre can carry a story all by herself if needed (even though I prefer it be J&M as a married couple), take advantage of it, dammit! She can have her own story AND still interact with other characters. I love her interaction with Will and Jack, but I also want her to actually have scenes with her husband.

I mean, look at her history, everything the character's been through. Rape, lost two children, stalked, deaths of husbands, obsessive men, missing years, kidnappingS... there's a lot to draw on and use for future story.

I'm still surprised they haven't done a cancer story. Or at least a scare. Such a soap staple, and Marlena's a staple.
I have meant to come in here and comment earlier. Marlena is my favorite character, and has been for as long as I can remember. I am not one dimensional, and I have other favorites like Julie, Doug, Bo, Hope, and Laura.....but Marlena has been the center of this show when it's at it's best for the last three decades.

As for Marlena since the reset....she's been the Marlena I use to know and love. Would I enjoy a good storyline? like a cancer scare?....yeah. That would be a nice addition and a real gutsy story Dee would devour. I think she is more "in character" right now than she's been in a long, long time. That part I love. However, I think they need to invest in her own storyline and give her a chance to do what she seems to do best....bring in the ratings.

I think we need to see her give her all to a well written story that doesn't involve relationship turmoil with John. We've seen them seperate J&M over, and over, and over again. It insults us and we don't buy it. The way Drake and Dee play these two leaves little doubt about their love for each other and resolve to be together in the face of any challenge. Any seperation seems trite, stupid, and pointless.

So my wishlist....a meaty storyline that puts her at the center of the action, that doesn't insult us by dividing J&M, a couple that by this time should be a solid as Fort Knox. If they craft it well, give Dee a chance to shine, and make it an umbrella story that sends ripples through the rest of the cast of characters, they will find what Anderson and Reilly figured out; people will watch Deidre Hall when she's given a story that plays to her talent. She is, above all else, a talented actress.

Thats my take.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Fafokahw
Mar 25 2012, 03:39 PM
I've been a Marlena fan every since I first saw her during her marriage to the real Roman (Wayne Northrop) I've seen clips of her time with Don Craig and love that union too. I also love the Jarlena pairing. What I love most about Marlena is that she's a character that I'll always want to root for even if I disagree with a choice she makes which is rare. I'm enjoying now seeing her be there for Will and laying down the law with Sami. She's apologized plenty for her hurting her glad she's not taking it anymore.
Thanks for the quick memories about Wayne/Roman....that coupling was a hot commodity, too!

I LOVED Roman & Marlena when Wayne Played Roman. One of the attributes that made Days so amazingly watchable in the early 1990's was the chemistry between Wayne/Dee/Drake! That was one triangle that was bankable, and if I remember correctly, it brought the show out of a MAJOR rhut and set the course the show would follow into it's third golden age.

The second they cast Drake as the pawn, the end of the traditional Roman and Marlena (a la Wayne) was cemented. Don't get me wrong, as a long standing fan, I will always love the orginal pairing, but the chemistry between Drake and Dee was too thick and it killed any chance of us settling for a redux in the 1991 time frame.

I understand some of the concerns about Marlena as a "stand alone" character. I LOVED the scenes she put in during John's funeral and after. IF they write the J&M right and give them more to do than pine for each other and gush over each other, you would be surprised just how much fun they would be in a story together. Spliting J&M up would serve NO purpose now, and all they need to do is give them a deep and interesting storyline together. They can go soapy on us and give them a good storyline that requires both of their involvement.

From what I see, most fans do not want to see another Jope, Jate, or RoMar mess. There is so much to do with these two. How about Marlena's missing years? What if Marlena had cancer? What if Marlena got a crazy patient like Stella Lombard again? What if Stefano became re-obssesed secretly, and John knew something was wrong but couldn't prove it till things got out of control? I could go on and on.

Give Them A Storyline....Together!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Drake's Back!!

Daysfanatic79
Mar 27 2012, 08:35 AM
I have meant to come in here and comment earlier. Marlena is my favorite character, and has been for as long as I can remember. I am not one dimensional, and I have other favorites like Julie, Doug, Bo, Hope, and Laura.....but Marlena has been the center of this show when it's at it's best for the last three decades.

As for Marlena since the reset....she's been the Marlena I use to know and love. Would I enjoy a good storyline? like a cancer scare?....yeah. That would be a nice addition and a real gutsy story Dee would devour. I think she is more "in character" right now than she's been in a long, long time. That part I love. However, I think they need to invest in her own storyline and give her a chance to do what she seems to do best....bring in the ratings.

I think we need to see her give her all to a well written story that doesn't involve relationship turmoil with John. We've seen them seperate J&M over, and over, and over again. It insults us and we don't buy it. The way Drake and Dee play these two leaves little doubt about their love for each other and resolve to be together in the face of any challenge. Any seperation seems trite, stupid, and pointless.

So my wishlist....a meaty storyline that puts her at the center of the action, that doesn't insult us by dividing J&M, a couple that by this time should be a solid as Fort Knox. If they craft it well, give Dee a chance to shine, and make it an umbrella story that sends ripples through the rest of the cast of characters, they will find what Anderson and Reilly figured out; people will watch Deidre Hall when she's given a story that plays to her talent. She is, above all else, a talented actress.

Thats my take.
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
Offline Profile Goto Top

hops
Member Avatar

Daysfanatic79
Mar 27 2012, 08:55 AM
I understand some of the concerns about Marlena as a "stand alone" character. I LOVED the scenes she put in during John's funeral and after. IF they write the J&M right and give them more to do than pine for each other and gush over each other, you would be surprised just how much fun they would be in a story together. Spliting J&M up would serve NO purpose now, and all they need to do is give them a deep and interesting storyline together. They can go soapy on us and give them a good storyline that requires both of their involvement.

From what I see, most fans do not want to see another Jope, Jate, or RoMar mess. There is so much to do with these two. How about Marlena's missing years? What if Marlena had cancer? What if Marlena got a crazy patient like Stella Lombard again? What if Stefano became re-obssesed secretly, and John knew something was wrong but couldn't prove it till things got out of control? I could go on and on.

Give Them A Storyline....Together!
What you said! :applause: That's all I want.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Daysfanatic79
The Room Stops
DrewHamilton
And while she was gone, I realized why... Marlena seems like home. For me, yeah, she was and is my favorite character, but there's just something about her that is so ... home. The show needs her because she's its heart and soul. There's just something warm and comforting about her that the show needs, IMO.

Favorite character. FAVORITE FREAKING CHARACTER! Surprised? No? Weeeelllll... I'm easy to read. Marlena's the most interesting character, and I really wish writers would take advantage of her history and WRITE for her. Deidre can carry a story all by herself if needed (even though I prefer it be J&M as a married couple), take advantage of it, dammit! She can have her own story AND still interact with other characters. I love her interaction with Will and Jack, but I also want her to actually have scenes with her husband.

I mean, look at her history, everything the character's been through. Rape, lost two children, stalked, deaths of husbands, obsessive men, missing years, kidnappingS... there's a lot to draw on and use for future story.

I'm still surprised they haven't done a cancer story. Or at least a scare. Such a soap staple, and Marlena's a staple.

Thats my take.
Quoting James Reilly one of the extremely rare times he talked about an actor (this might have been the only time). "As for Deidre Hall, if you have the best, you use the best." (about the Possession storyline). He got it. She was his leading lady, and he let her shine. Yeah, the stories were outrageous, but he so obviously worshipped her. So did Sheri.

I think a cancer scare for Marlena would be interesting. She's been through hell and back, litterally, time for the next challenge.
Edited by The Room Stops, Mar 27 2012, 11:56 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

My two cents: Marlena freaks me the heck out. Okay, so I realize neither the possession nor the serial killer thing were her fault, but fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. She just always looks like she's up to something evil. I certainly wouldn't turn my back on her. I'm just saying....I find Kate far less terrifying.
Offline Profile Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

blueskies
Mar 27 2012, 12:00 PM
My two cents: Marlena freaks me the heck out. Okay, so I realize neither the possession nor the serial killer thing were her fault, but fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. She just always looks like she's up to something evil. I certainly wouldn't turn my back on her. I'm just saying....I find Kate far less terrifying.
And this is why I don't see Marlena as a matriarch in the Alice Horton tradition (although I do think she's extremely credible in family scenes). She's a different type, a strong heroine who nevertheless can be completely subverted by the right manipulator or pushed to the edge. And that leads to some of her most evocative moments, like with Stefano and the syringe.

I'd love to see what media scholars have written about her because I think she's ripe for that kind of analysis.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

The Room Stops
Mar 27 2012, 11:53 AM
Daysfanatic79
The Room Stops
DrewHamilton

Thats my take.
Quoting James Reilly one of the extremely rare times he talked about an actor (this might have been the only time). "As for Deidre Hall, if you have the best, you use the best." (about the Possession storyline). He got it. She was his leading lady, and he let her shine. Yeah, the stories were outrageous, but he so obviously worshipped her. So did Sheri.

I think a cancer scare for Marlena would be interesting. She's been through hell and back, litterally, time for the next challenge.
ICAM with everything that was just said. It's no surprise from my username that I love Marlena, I've always loved her character ever since I first started watching the show I was just drawn to her character, there's just something about her that makes you wish she was your mother/sister/grandmother/friend.

and I definitely think that she needs her own storyline, I don't mind her being a supporting actress in other storylines but I would like to see her in her own storyline as well, Dee still has it, she's a great actress and she needs to be given a chance to shine. With that being said though I absolutely love her relationship with Will, I can't see them doing this storyline without her, Dee and Chandler just blow everyone else out of the water when there in scenes together, I mean how many people can say they have that kind of relationship with their grandmother, where they can hang out have fun and talk about anything knowing your not going to be judged, I know I can't.

I'd also like to see Marlena and Sami reconcile one of these days, how long are they going to let something that happened 19 years ago affect their relationship?, Marlena's always had a great relationship with her kids and I wish Sami would realize that she is her mother and she isnt the enemy, life's too short to hold grudges, and maybe with your idea of a cancer scare storyline is what can bring them back together. I'd also like to see more of John and Marlena on screen together, their relationship is the perfect example of how love conquers all, they've been through everything imaginable together and with them being separated and reunited over and over again its just made their love even stronger and they've still have so much potential for a great storyline, thats the kind of romance and love story I want to see, not the crap with ej/sami/carrie/austin/rafe/nicole with breaking everybody up and jumping from one person to the next at the drop of a hat, claiming there so in love with eachother after a few weeks, call me old fashioned but thats not my idea of romance.
Offline Profile Goto Top

bstreis
Member Avatar
No matter what you think, I DO love you.

The Room Stops

I'd love for a story to be written that revolves around Marlena and involves her unfortunately I don't want it if it's going to be written by the current writing staff. They'll make the whole thing about Sami and how Marlena being sick is a way for her mother to get back at her. And on top of that it'll last all of 2 months with no story progression until she suddenly goes into remission and is cured!

Like a few have said, I do find it kinda amusing that the citizens of Salem come to her for advice and talk about their problems given that she has been possessed by the devil and at one point killed half the town, including poor Alice Horton in the pantry with the donuts lol. It's like she could snap at any moment, but she won't (at least we hope not). It's kinda what makes her super awesome, and why I liked the SSK storyline...her running around wacking people wasn't true to Marlena's character/self but it made for a very interesting twist because who would suspect? It's like there's 2 of her...there's the Marlena that the town knows, loves, trusts and then there were those times where "out of her control" she burned buildings and stashed dead bodies in pinatas. I just love that crazy chick.
Offline Profile Goto Top

graceadler
Member Avatar

The Room Stops
I think a cancer scare for Marlena would be interesting.
Hell to the no. I don't want to hear about stupid Frizzy B the whole damn time and Brady and John would being her up constantly because she died of cancer. Now if they can do it without mention of Frizzy, I would love it because Deidre would be awesome but these writers have already glorified Frizzy and her star. Maybe if Marlena found a lump in her breast and doesn't mention it to John but then I wouldn't want her keeping something like that from him... I don't know, a legit health scare would be good but not cancer.

Offline Profile Goto Top

quesla

I would love to see Marlena involved with anyone right now other the brady's now hear me out me i know that she has children who are brady's but roman and her have been divorced for along time . it's ridulicious the amount of time she has spent involved in there crap. the brady clan is the most disloyaly family on days if it doesn't involve them there not true friends or family to anyone.i don't know of any divorced couples family that's this close .I miss her having friends real adults.i love her humanity.and truthfully i wouldn't mind if her and john broke up for awhile for whatever the reason even another triangle not with anyone before but a new guy it happens all the time couples are together 25-35 years and then something or even someone on the show that she 's had a great deep friendship and suddenly those feeling start change .i don't want her t o have a illness you run the risk of them killing her off maybe a nervous breakdown that could be interesting just my crazy thoughts.there is nothing like marlena struggling with her feelings .the only possilbe interesting scene from the whole jope thing that i have ever wanted to see is marlena asking hope what the deal is with hope issue with the men in marlena's life john wasn't the first roman was ya'll remember that?
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

blueskies
Mar 27 2012, 12:00 PM
Haha, I wouldn't say it that strongly, but I do agree that Marlena's willing to go far to protect the people she loves, even break the law.

I also think that's what sets Marlena apart as a character, because even though she has reached her breaking point, she's still a warm, giving, good hearted person, and I personally think she had every reason for every far-out thing she's done. Even sticking the syringe in Stefano. Just because it was Stefano.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic