Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soap Opera Weekly Has Folded
Topic Started: Mar 22 2012, 01:49 PM (1,800 Views)
NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

After being discussed previously after the cancellations of both ALL MY CHILDREN and ONE LIFE TO LIVE on ABC, today it was just announced that SOAP OPERA WEEKLY magazine has indeed folded.

Via Twitter:

Quote:

@TVDeeva: Wow, just heard #SoapOperaWeekly folded. RIP to the mag that gave me my start, and love to my former brethren cast back into the market.

Soap Opera Weekly Magazine Shutting Down?

It looks like the soap opera world has lost one of its greatest champions. Inside sources report that Soap Opera Weekly, a magazine that premiered in 1989 and covered Days of Our Lives strongly for over two decades, has been shut down.

Insiders say that several staff members were let go, while others will be reassigned to new positions at its sister publication Soap Opera Digest.

Source: About.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Not surprising, still sad. I feel bad for those that have lost jobs.

I really liked the magazine-- they always did a nice job.
Edited by talbab1994, Mar 22 2012, 02:21 PM.

lastDays
Member Avatar

The magazine's quality really went down hill over the past decade.Not really surprised but feeling kinda sad.The '90s were a great time for SOW. Better writing,soaps were still very much alive

jdawg1077

Too bad. Back in the day, SOW had some of the coolest photo covers for the various soaps. I always loved seeing what they would come up with each week.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Well this is clearly not good news for daytime...one more casualty.

I am not surprised though...we all knew this was coming.

SchaNich
Member Avatar

I'm surprised they didn't make the change sooner. would have been nice if they had kept it as a digital download but there are of course costs to that too.

ljacks13
Member Avatar

I knew something was up when they stop taking Weekly subscriptions last year and they straight up lied to your faces about the magazine folding. Why can't people just tell you the truth? Is that so difficult?

Graham
Member Avatar

Very sad. Their covers in the 90s were the bomb!

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I used to love reading SOW the first several years it was out. I preferred it to SOD. However, as with many things over time it changed. The last few years it has been pretty bad and its no surprise that with only four soaps left it is ending. Once my subscription ended, I didn't buy it anymore. I could skim through it in less than five minutes at the store. I feel sorry for the people losing their jobs.

SON is reporting that the April 10th issue which is next week is their last issue.
http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/news/soap-opera-weekly-shuttered-april-10-issue-will-be-its-last

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

End of an era, but seriously the economies of scale and content are not there anymore.

Checkers
Member Avatar

This is sad.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply