Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mad Men: Season 5
Topic Started: Mar 25 2012, 11:16 PM (1,947 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

Something was strange about the premiere for me, and I can't even really say what it was, exactly. I don't know if it was intentional because of the time that has elapsed both in our reality since the last season and in the context of the show, but it was weird. Not a bad weird, necessarily....but weird.

I don't know how others feel about her, but I like Megan, and I like Don with Megan (although it seems obvious that that marriage is going to implode sooner or later). I see the actress is a series regular now, so I'm glad she'll be sticking around, at least for the season.

Didn't Joan tell Roger she had gotten an abortion in the last season? Wouldn't he have to know that this is his baby and that she lied to him? I feel like I missed something here.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Mar 25 2012, 11:16 PM
Something was strange about the premiere for me, and I can't even really say what it was, exactly.
The show is boring. That's the problem. :P

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Mar 25 2012, 11:24 PM
Mason
Something was strange about the premiere for me, and I can't even really say what it was, exactly.
LoL! As soon as I saw you posting a reply, I knew that was coming.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Mar 25 2012, 11:26 PM
Kenny
Mar 25 2012, 11:24 PM
Mason
LoL! As soon as I saw you posting a reply, I knew that was coming.
LoL, I tried so hard to like this show. I really did. I sat myself down about a year ago and tried to marathon the first season and by the fifth or sixth episode I had to give up because I was so bored.

Mason
Member Avatar

It took me a couple tries before I managed to get into the show, but once I did, I was hooked. I don't think it's boring, but I can definitely understand why other people would.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Quote:

It took me a couple tries before I managed to get into the show, but once I did, I was hooked. I don't think it's boring, but I can definitely understand why other people would.

Me too. There are so many "OH SHIT" moments that come with good soap, but it took me a while to get into it. I think I ended up getting pulled in by S2. I'd recommend that one.

There were a few clunky things about last night, like the Joan/Don anvils (I kinda hope that's just me picking up on something that isn't there) and a few other things. I wish we'd seen some of this side of Megan last year, although I could live without seeing more her and Don's sex games.

Jared Harris was amazing. I went from feeling completely creeped out to warm and fuzzy when Joan came in.

Mason
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Mar 26 2012, 01:06 PM
There were a few clunky things about last night, like the Joan/Don anvils (I kinda hope that's just me picking up on something that isn't there)
I noticed that too, actually! I think Jon Hamm and Christina Hendricks have chemistry, but for some reason, the idea of Don/Joan just seems wrong (which is ironic because they're probably my two favorite characters on the show, LoL).

Also, I want Bert Cooper worked into as many scenes as possible. I'm just putting that out there.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

For some reason the early airing of Mad Men didn't record last night, so I had to record the 10:15pm to 12:20am airing. I was only able to watch the first hour. Love Mad Men and so glad it's back.

Kenny, it's a slow show for sure. But when big things happen they are huge. And you get so connected to the characters. This show has incredible character developement.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Mar 26 2012, 06:15 PM
Kenny, it's a slow show for sure. But when big things happen they are huge. And you get so connected to the characters. This show has incredible character developement.
It's so true. I've watched the premiere three times already, lol. There are so many things I didn't really catch the first time, like Megan taking over Peggy's desk.

Really glad Abe is still around. I know he doesn't 100% understand Peggy's work, but he's so good for her that I want to see them work it out.

Also, I'm not sure what to make of Megan's comment about leaving the baby on the church step. If schmoopy Don told her about Peggy's secret...

Quote:

Also, I want Bert Cooper worked into as many scenes as possible. I'm just putting that out there.

So glad to see him back after he "quit" last year!

granolagirl
Member Avatar

I'm still processing fat Betty. !!! I loved the conversation with Don, but the ice cream scene at the end was uncomfortable. Grow, Betty, grow, damn it! (Edit -- I mean as a person, lol. :embarrassed: ) I'm rooting for you. And for Sally not to end up with an eating disorder.

At the concert, it struck me for the first time that Don saw the girl in the hallway with a father's eyes. And just in time, because in five minutes, that's going to be his daughter.

Pete and Roger -- that's not going to end well. After Megan on the balcony last week and Roger talking about hanging off the ledge and someone stepping on his fingers, I wonder if this is finally the season where we see somebody take a tumble off a building.
Edited by granolagirl, Apr 2 2012, 01:19 AM.

Thomson
Member Avatar

Epsiode 4 ''Mystery Date'' Promo

Mason
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Apr 2 2012, 12:56 AM
I'm still processing fat Betty. !!! I loved the conversation with Don, but the ice cream scene at the end was uncomfortable. Grow, Betty, grow, damn it! (Edit -- I mean as a person, lol. :embarrassed: ) I'm rooting for you. And for Sally not to end up with an eating disorder.
I thought fat Betty was much easier to tolerate. Normally, I can't stand the bitch, LoL.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Working backwards -- Lane/Joan, the fistfight, Pete cheating on Trudy, the incredibly awkward dinner party -- and what intrigued me most was that Peggy and Ken have a pact!

So glad Pete didn't fuck the driver's ed girl. Although clearly that wasn't of his own choosing.
Edited by granolagirl, Apr 16 2012, 12:45 AM.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

And Bert Cooper giving Roger a massage, lol.

~bl~
Member Avatar

See this is the kind of episode people who don't like Mad Men should watch because it is totally bizarre and entertaining. I knew Pete was going to screw someone I didn't realize it would be Lane. (figuratively, though I appreciated that Don realizes that Pete should not be like Roger.)

Mason
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Apr 16 2012, 12:40 AM
Working backwards -- Lane/Joan, the fistfight, Pete cheating on Trudy, the incredibly awkward dinner party -- and what intrigued me most was that Peggy and Ken have a pact!
I probably wasn't paying close enough attention by this point in the episode (I think I did better with the series when I was watching episodes back-to-back on Netflix) -- what exactly was their agreement?

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Mason
Apr 16 2012, 08:05 AM
granolagirl
I probably wasn't paying close enough attention by this point in the episode (I think I did better with the series when I was watching episodes back-to-back on Netflix) -- what exactly was their agreement?
If I remember correctly - if one of them leaves the agency, they take the other one with them.

I freaking loved this episode. I liked the use the car accident training films in the drivers ed class because, IMO, it so TOTALLY symbolized the direction Pete is headed -- he's turning into a complete car wreck. You (and almost all the characters) can see it happening but no one can seem to stop it nor can they look away.

Also, I have to point out how surreal it is to see Alison Brie as Trudy on Mad Men (which is so different than her role as Annie on Community) and then to also see Parker Young (who appears as the himbo next door neighbor Ryan Shay on Suburgatory) as the driver's ed student "Handsome" on Mad Men.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Matt
Apr 16 2012, 10:13 AM
Mason
Apr 16 2012, 08:05 AM
granolagirl
If I remember correctly - if one of them leaves the agency, they take the other one with them.
Yeah, and it was something they clearly have had going for a while -- maybe after their work together on the pantyhose account at the same time Don was getting engaged last season? I think we see Peggy's dissatisfaction come to a head this season, and the arrangement where she is "supervising" Megan but Megan has all the power being a big factor.

Mason
Member Avatar

Matt
Apr 16 2012, 10:13 AM
I freaking loved this episode. I liked the use the car accident training films in the drivers ed class because, IMO, it so TOTALLY symbolized the direction Pete is headed -- he's turning into a complete car wreck. You (and almost all the characters) can see it happening but no one can seem to stop it nor can they look away.
The driver's ed scenes were my favorite part of the episode, as well. I love Roger's smug relishing of Pete's self-destruction. John Slattery was especially fun to watch in this episode.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I'm really enjoying this season so far. I'll start with Megan- what a refreshing new character and so different that Jane. I love that she stands her ground and is more of an equal in the marriage, unlike Betty. And poor, overweight Betty. I liked the twist of Betty having gained weight and thinking it might be thyroid cancer. Let's face it, many housewives nowadays and in the gain weight after their kids are born.

Joan- I just adore her. Loved that she finally got rid of that handsome/but awful husband of hers. And so glad she mentioned the night where he raped her in Roger's office. I'm glad that wasn't forgotten.

Also, loving where Peggy is right now. The scene of her making Roger pay her $400 to do extra work for him was so funny.

And I agree with the other's that Pete is headed for a trip off the deep end. Wonder where they will take him this season..He's definitely not happy with suburban life. Poor Trudy.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply