Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mad Men: Season 5
Topic Started: Mar 25 2012, 11:16 PM (1,910 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

I loved tonight's episode!

My favorite scene was Peggy at the movie theater. I really liked the implicit comparison of her to the lone female amongst the lions ("She's never going to make it out there on her own.") and then Peggy taking the guy's hand off her leg before proceeding to masturbate him, like if she was going to be sexualized, she was going to grab control of the situation -- both literally and figuratively.

Roger's LSD trip was great, too. Was that Patty Chase (Angela's mother on My So-Called Life) as the LSD-dispensing psychiatrist? If so, she's aged remarkably well.

This is the second time this season I've thought Megan was going to jump off the balcony. It's either going to happen or they just really want us to think that it is.

I loved Bert's line to Don at the end -- "This is my business." -- like he's finally addressing the fact that everyone forgets (or pretends that they have) that this is his company. And then Roger ending the episode with, "I've got news: it's going to be a beautiful day!"

Such a well-written episode.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Mason
Apr 22 2012, 10:10 PM
Roger's LSD trip was great, too. Was that Patty Chase (Angela's mother on My So-Called Life) as the LSD-dispensing psychiatrist? If so, she's aged remarkably well.
I was so distracted trying to place her!

Killer episode. The sequence at the end with Don chasing Megan through the apartment freaked me out, and reminded me of Leland Palmer/Bob chasing Maddy around before he beat her to death. With the contrast between that and Megan's flirty good-bye at the office that morning, I feel like they finally rolled up the shade on how scary-dysfunctional Don and Megan really are.

lol @ Don being so excited to drive to the Howard Johnson's.
Edited by granolagirl, Apr 23 2012, 01:04 AM.

Thomson
Member Avatar

Episode 7 "At the Codfish Ball" Promo:

granolagirl
Member Avatar

"Someday your little girl is going to spread her legs and fly away" FTW.

Mason
Member Avatar

Roger and Sally's interaction was the most intriguing part of last night's episode for me. Did anyone else think they were going to have Sally develop some weird crush/infatuation with Roger (at least until she saw him getting blown by Megan's mother)?

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

This season really has been excellent so far. Loved the casting of Julia Ormand as Megan's mother. Anyone else absolutly loving Roger this year? He's getting some juicy stuff. And poor Sally Draper having to walk in on her Step-Grandmother blowing Roger...how scandalous. Also, felt bad for Peggy. Her mother's response was pretty realistic, but still awful.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Apr 30 2012, 02:41 PM
Anyone else absolutly loving Roger this year?
Yes! I've actually never enjoyed Roger as much as I am this season. He's become one of my favorite characters in just the last four or five episodes.

~bl~
Member Avatar

It was Bess Armstrong...

granolagirl
Member Avatar

This week didn't live up to the last few, IMO... Nice to see Alexis Bledel, although the character was a bit flat. Still loving the changes in Roger, and Peggy's "Yes!" when Ginsburg asked if about actresses' shoes slayed me.

Still, Megan leaving to become an actress is a bit underwhelming.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I'm calling it. Someone is going to pull a Rosalind Shays down that elevator shaft before the end of the season. That was just too radnom not to be foreshadowing of some kind.
Edited by Matt, May 7 2012, 09:14 PM.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

There have been so many ominous signs this season, starting with Megan sulking on the balcony when Don gave her the cold shoulder after "Zou Bisou." Pete's shotgun being seen again in the office and referenced by Trudy. Pete running a stop sign this week, and mentioning suicide to someone else. Don's dream of killing Shelley Johnson.

My theory is pretty out there, but the foreshadowing is so heavy-handed that it has to be on purpose. I read a blog post this morning that said the season is laid out along the tracks of the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts' Club Band, lol. Not sure I believe that, but it made me think that until this episode, Don and Megan were playing at being John and Yoko in the office, right down to not wanting to get out of bed, and his new relationship screwing up the "band" dynamic.

It also reminded me that Sgt. Pepper was one of the first albums with supposed hints that "Paul is dead". I wonder if Weiner is doing his own version of "Paul is dead" with all of these OTT ominous signs that we read into, almost having a joke on the audience while giving them a little taste of 1966/67 pop culture.

But maaayyybe that's reading too much into things, lol.
Edited by granolagirl, May 8 2012, 02:23 AM.

Mason
Member Avatar

I wasn't really feeling most of this week's episode, but I did greatly enjoy Don putting Ginsberg (who's irritated me since the first time he showed up on the screen) in his place while they were in the elevator at the end.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I loved jealous Betty and really enjoyed the Weight Watcher's stuff..I'm loving this season.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

I liked seeing Don's competitiveness in the office return, even though it was sad to see him competing with Ginsburg. I liked the weight watchers' scenes, although the whipped cream moment was kind of cheap (definitely delivered an OMG, though!). And I was thrilled to see Jane back for another episode, although she is gathering an air of tragedy around her. Maybe she'll hold hands with Rory Gilmore and jump off the Brooklyn Bridge. But it wasn't a standout episode.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Can Joan and Don please get together? I absolutely loved scenes tonight. I love how he makes her smile. Question- was he the one who sent her flowers? I didn't recognize the name.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

The card was signed from Ali Khan.

I loved that Harry was into the chanting, lol. One of the better episodes lately. I'm afraid my poor Lane is truly spiraling down for keeps this time.

Mason
Member Avatar

Don had to have been the one that sent Joan the flowers because during their scenes at the bar (which I LOVED, btw) he joked that when she first started working at Sterling-Cooper, he thought she was getting flowers from Ali Khan.

I also love that he admitted he never tried anything with Joan because she scared the shit out of him, LoL.

Mason
Member Avatar

I'm glad they followed up on Don and Joan's friendship from last week's episode, but I hope they're not taking the relationship between them anywhere romantic. I was disappointed that Joan agreed to the arrangement with the Jaguar guy (I was glad that she demanded/got a small stake in the company for it, though), but I thought Christina Hendricks did a great job in this episode.

I don't know why, but I wasn't completely satisfied with the way Peggy quitting SCDP played out. It just didn't seem as cathartic as I thought it would have, and it seemed like an afterthought to the Jaguar business (which, given Peggy's restriction from that account, may have been intentional).

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

I liked how Peggy's departure just ... happened. It wasn't a big TV Moment because life isn't a TV show.

Women deserving better than they get is always a present theme in the series but last night it was the linking factor. Joan has always been rather tragic, and it was only a matter of time before Peggy wouldn't take any more. If she's going to be another Don, there's just no room for both of them at the same place.

The way Ken's and Peggy's pact combusted was sad; it was the only relationship in the episode that didn't have an air of transaction about it. Joan had to whore herself out for SCDP, Peggy had to save a pitch by selling female sexuality in the Lady Godiva ad, Megan has to play up to casting directors who care first and foremost about her sex appeal than anything else. Then there's the wife aspect of Megan and Trudy; the "marriage as prostitution/sexual transaction" idea is not a new one in feminist theory, and the "Why would a woman buy a Valentine's gift for a man?" line made that point beautifully succinctly.

The other idea woven in the episode was how the appeal of a woman was limited to when they were unattainable. Once attained, the luster is gone. Joan is always the other woman, Peggy ironically has to use those awful attitudes to succeed in her own career, and Megan went from the other woman in S4 to the wife in S5. I'm anticipating seeing how Don's acceptance vs lack of acceptance of Megan's individuality plays out in the remaining episodes.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Wow, what an episode. I was shocked they had Joan go through with prostituting herself. But it was a very interesting plot twist and I'm glad they went there. It will be interesting to see Joan's role now that she is a partner. And OMG I when Don kissed Peggy's hand and then Peggy started tearing up---So powerful. I've always loved the interactions between these two. I really hope we get to see Peggy on a regular basis now that's she's got a new job. Loved this episode and really enjoying this season.

Who else loves watching Lane squirm about the bonuses? I can't wait for him to get caught.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply