Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mad Men: Season 5
Topic Started: Mar 25 2012, 11:16 PM (1,904 Views)
granolagirl
Member Avatar

I hope we see a lot of Peggy, too. I have mixed feelings about her going to CGC, because Ted Chaough (or however you spell it) has been trying to poach one of Don's proteges for years, and as empowering as her choice was, some of it was to take the deepest cut at Don. I can't wait to see what happens here -- whether his "I'll spend the rest of my life trying to hire you back" ends up being as vacant a promise as his letter to Betty about being alone for the rest of his life without her. I loved seeing Freddy, too, and that unlike almost every other character, Peggy has real friends.

I can't wait to see how this plays out for Joan going forward -- who continues to respect her and who doesn't.

I'm not sure why we're following Thoroughly Modern Megan's adventures in acting land. Hopefully to show her motivation when she joins a touring company in outer Siberia. ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Wow...This season is shaping up to be one of Mad Men's best seasons yet. Tonight's episode was fantastic. Really enjoyed watching Lane's downfall. And I'm glad the show had Lane commit suicide. I think they handled it very tastefully. Also, Sally Draper is one of the best children on television. I love her!!

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

Last night was a sobfest for me. Oh, poor poor Lane. He was one of my favorites, I felt so awful.

The episode was really about priorities, about what really matters in life. Roger's on one shoulder egging Don to be a shark again, but on the other shoulder are ghosts like Lane Pryce's, perhaps even Adam Whitman's. Jesus, I wonder how Don feels knowing he was part of the misery that led to two suicides now.

Ken usually seems to know how to navigate between happiness and material success. He got a deal out of Roger on his terms, but he willingly passed on being a partner. He always seems to be most assured of what he wants from life, among the ad men. I'm glad to see a bit of the Pete vs Ken rivalry again too.

Betty obviously felt pretty chuffed that Sally needed her instead of Megan, but I don't think she was too nasty about it to Megan. It was nice to see a tender moment between Sally and Betty. This time, her advice came without any icky internalized sexism too.

I can't believe there's only one more episode. What am I supposed to do without good television for 9 months?

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Quote:

I can't believe there's only one more episode. What am I supposed to do without good television for 9 months?

I'm pre-mourning, too.

That said, this episode felt like a bit of a hot mess to me. There were some incredibly stellar performances and elements, but in a season where we've only had a smattering of Betty, Lane, etc., and right after Peggy left, I needed a little less Megan time. I think she would be okay in smaller doses, but I've had enough.

Jared Harris was fantastic -- going to miss him here.

I loved Joan's excitement over her vacation. I can't remember where she honeymooned with Dr. Rapist, but now that she's partner it might be one of the first times she's had a chance to take herself anywhere. She deserves a taste of freedom.

peaches179

The show was so good last night.
Edited by peaches179, Jun 4 2012, 12:25 PM.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

I actually really enjoy Megan, so it's not a minus for me. January Jones wasn't very available this season because she had a baby, and while I missed the last two weeks I think Lane's tragedy had sufficient build-up. I am going to miss him though, I was thinking how I much preferred Lane dying to simply leaving the show ala Sal, but I'd vastly prefer he stayed.

But that's what makes this show what it is -- nothing is done in the name of feel-good.

Reeeally hoping to see Peggy in the finale; I can't handle a wait until 2013, much less no more Peggy ever ever again.

peaches179

DesignatedShelley
Jun 4 2012, 02:41 PM
I actually really enjoy Megan, so it's not a minus for me. January Jones wasn't very available this season because she had a baby, and while I missed the last two weeks I think Lane's tragedy had sufficient build-up. I am going to miss him though, I was thinking how I much preferred Lane dying to simply leaving the show ala Sal, but I'd vastly prefer he stayed.

But that's what makes this show what it is -- nothing is done in the name of feel-good.

Reeeally hoping to see Peggy in the finale; I can't handle a wait until 2013, much less no more Peggy ever ever again.

I agree with all of this.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
That's true. I'll dutifully down my dose of Megan like cod liver oil. ;)

Mason
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
I actually really enjoy Megan, so it's not a minus for me.
I feel the same way, although I didn't think this week's episode was that Megan-heavy, anyway.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

For those interested, Jared Harris possibly sheds some light on Elizabeth Moss' future on the show:

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/06/05/060512-arts-jared-harris-ruiz

Mason
Member Avatar

I have an alternating love/hate relationship with the character of Peggy, but I really can't imagine the show without her. It would be totally asinine to write her out. Fortunately, I think Jared Harris either is confused or just doesn't know any more than we do about Peggy's future. I think we'll be seeing her again, if not in the season finale then next season.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I think if Elizabeth Moss really did leave the show, there would of been a huge article from her. I think she probably just couldn't finish out the season so they had to write her back. I have a feeling we'll see her next season. I can't imagine Mad Men without her.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

We would have seen something from Moss if she was really gone. They did kind of fade her out of the picure this year, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see her used like Joan in S3 next year. We haven't really followed many people very closely after they leave the agency, and I'd like to think Peggy is the exception, but I don't know.

Mason
Member Avatar

The use of Nancy Sinatra's "You Only Live Twice" in the last few minutes of the episode was brilliant. I loved that sequence.

Beth not remembering Pete after one EST treatment played a little soapy for me, but I really liked Pete's monologue about his "friend". And Pete's retort to the train captain that he was the Captain of "Howdy-Doody-whatever the rest of the line was" had me laughing my ass off.

I'd say that I'd wish we'd seen more of Roger in this episode, but, given that last shot of him, I'm afraid it would be misinterpreted, LoL.

I'm sad the season is over -- it's been my favorite since Season 1!

granolagirl
Member Avatar

For me, an okay ending to a season that was supported by some standout episodes. I was really happy to see Julia Ormond again.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Also, I just read that Trevor St. John had a small appearance in this episode? I didn't catch him if it's true.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply