Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: Daytime Emmys in jeopardy
Topic Started: Mar 27 2012, 09:26 AM (1,300 Views)
Ellie

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Daytime-Emmy-Awards-1045320.aspx

Daytime Emmy Awards in Jeopardy
Mar 27, 2012 07:00 AM ET
by Michael Logan

Doesn't anyone want this golden gal anymore? The Daytime Emmy nominations will be announced May 4, but so far no network has agreed to air the ceremony. A rep for the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences claims negotiations are still in play, but insiders say a live Internet feed may be more likely than a telecast. The awards, even if they're a no-cameras affair, are expected to take place June 23 in Beverly Hills.

"CBS wanted the show, but at the last minute, the deal fell through," says Jim Romanovich of Associated Television International, which produced the awards on The CW in 2009 and CBS in 2010 and 2011. "Money-wise, it was just too prohibitive, and that's a shame because this year is the last chance to honor [canceled soaps] All My Children and One Life to Live."

ATI was able to finance the 2011 awards only by turning the show, airing from Las Vegas, into a veritable infomercial for charities, hotels and entertainment acts. Folks were peeved. "It was a vulgar Vegas nightmare," says The Young and the Restless' Peter Bergman (Jack), a three-time Emmy winner. "The awards need to return to what they were years ago, a private, elegant event." General Hospital Emmy winner Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis) concurs, noting, "It's gotten to the point where even the nominees don't care."

True enough. Kelly Ripa, Judge Judy and most of the women from The View have snubbed the ceremony in recent years. Last year, Oprah Winfrey failed to show to pick up an honorary award even though she got a 15-minute tribute. Concludes Grahn, "If the awards can't air with dignity, they shouldn't air at all."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I have to agree with PB and NLG, I hated the telecast last year. Its like Vegas threw up on it. I rather watch a LIVE webcast at whatever Beverly Hills place they choose to hold the event in then sit through another infomercial. I also hope that LIVE means the West Coast gets to view it the same time as the East Coast.

TFP

lastDays
Member Avatar

The Emmy telecasts for the past couple of years have been a disaster.You could see this coming

Like daytime soaps themselves,the awards show lost it's luster with the closing of the '90s
Edited by lastDays, Mar 27 2012, 11:03 AM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Wait..how is this news?

The Emmy's have been in jeopardy for about 5 years now.

I for one would prefer a web cast showing a respectable event.....not some shameful Vegas promotion, which was TRULY insulting to daytime and its fans.

Thanks for posting Ellie
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Mar 27 2012, 11:42 AM.

Ellie

Mitchapalooza
Mar 27 2012, 11:13 AM
Wait..how is this news?

I for one would prefer a web cast showing a respectable event.....not some shameful Vegas promotion, which was TRULY insulting to daytime and its fans.
The news is that this is (probably) going to be the first year they aren't televised.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Ellie
Mar 27 2012, 11:25 AM
Mitchapalooza
Mar 27 2012, 11:13 AM
Wait..how is this news?

The news is that this is (probably) going to be the first year they aren't televised.
Well yah I know that, lol....

My "how is this news" was more about TV Guide suddenly thinking the Emmy's are in jeopardy when in fact they have been in jeopardy for years.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I say just have a live-stream type thing. At least they can still be watched, and it can be about daytime, rather than who's paying for it.

tylerbo20

i agree with them both and i have hated how certain daytime celebrities have snubbed the daytime emmy's for years now...the cast of the view, oprah, regis and kelly, ellen....if they dont care to show up with their star power then the show doesnt deserve to go on. and they can blame themselves

Ellie

tylerbo20
Mar 27 2012, 01:07 PM
i agree with them both and i have hated how certain daytime celebrities have snubbed the daytime emmy's for years now...the cast of the view, oprah, regis and kelly, ellen....if they dont care to show up with their star power then the show doesnt deserve to go on. and they can blame themselves
The Daytime Emmys have always had the issue that they combine different types of shows that don't have much in common except that they air before it gets dark at night. I think what's happening is that the morning shows don't want to be seen as the failures that soaps are, so they're trying to separate themselves from the group. One way that they're doing this is by not attending or acknowledging these awards. The one I'm disappointed in the most is Kelly Ripa, since she got her start in soaps. Might do her some good to remember that sometime. She wouldn't have her current job if it weren't for AMC.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

I thought the CW did a good job with it in 2009. At least there were full soap montages instead of 5 second quicky clips for the nominated shows.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Sorry but the Daytime Emmy's have been a joke for years now! Let it be a live feed thing and let it be about the people who actually care about the soaps!

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Tammy
Mar 27 2012, 11:49 PM
Sorry but the Daytime Emmy's have been a joke for years now! Let it be a live feed thing and let it be about the people who actually care about the soaps!
And talk shows, game shows, court shows, morning programs, children's shows, etc...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply