Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
‘Revolution’s Renewal Chances Slim After Series Lows, ‘General Hospital’s Look Better
Topic Started: Mar 29 2012, 05:37 AM (1,112 Views)
AuroraPhoenix
Member Avatar

Deadline.com

‘Revolution’s Renewal Chances Slim After Series Lows, ‘General Hospital’s Look Better
By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Wednesday March 28, 2012 @ 5:43am PDTTags: ABC, General Hospital, The Chew, The Revolution

With the deadline looming for ABC to make a decision about which shows will take the two remaining daytime slots on its schedule next fall, things are looking brighter for the network’s embattled soap General Hospital. It is still the least-watched among the four surviving daytime dramas on ABC, CBS and NBC, averaging 2.3 million viewers for the most recent week we have data for (March 12-16). But the series had a ratings uptick recently (it hit an 18-week high among women 18-49, 657,000, for the week of March 5, which featured the death of a character), and in the female demo, it’s been actually running ahead of NBC’s Days Of Our Lives.

But boosting GH‘s chances of survival the most is the poor ratings performance of new lifestyle series The Revolution. ABC has given the series time to find its legs — it only premiered in January — but I hear the network brass are starting to lose faith in the show, which hit series lows for the last two weeks with Nielsen data. For the week of March 5, it drew 1.4 million viewers, and for the week of March 12 — 1.33 million viewers. Compare that to 2.25 million for GH and 2.14 million for The Chew for the week of March 12; that 2.14 million was a 10-week low for The Chew but still dwarfed The Revolution’s viewership. The two lifestyle series were introduced this season as replacements for departing soaps All My Children and One Life To Live. While The Chew has consistently delivered more than 2.1 million viewers, peaking at 2.6 million in December, The Revolution never took off despite airing behind The Chew. What’s more, The Chew‘s ratings are actually on par with those of the soap it replaced, AMC, at a fraction of the cost, sealing the new show’s status as a keeper. Meanwhile, The Revolution is down 40% from OLTL‘s numbers.

Even with those mediocre ratings, given the cost structure of producing a talk show vs. a soap, Revolution still may make sense financially for ABC. But I hear the network’s executives don’t feel strong enough about the middling newcomer to kill its only remaining daytime drama for it, completely alienating soap fans who are already miffed by ABC’s decision last year to yank AMC and OLTL. Also, if ABC keeps The Chew and The Revolution intact in their current 2 PM and 3 PM slots, the latter would serve as a lead-in to the upcoming Katie Couric talk show. Both ABC and Couric have a lot riding on the success of the show and will likely try to give it the best shot possible. That includes a strong lead-in. Among GH, The Chew and The Revolution, GH has the highest women 18-49 average, so a pairing of The Chew and GH from 1-3 PM next season, leading into Katie, appears more and more likely. ABC’s decision is expected to come down in a couple of weeks. Last year, the network announced the cancellation of AMC and OLTL on April 14 and will likely unveil its daytime plans for next season around that date again. Unless The Revolution pulls out a ratings miracle, it will likely be a short-lived one, giving GH a stay of execution for another year.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I've said this before and I'll say it again-- The Revolution is REVOLTING! GH really has gotten SO much better since the new team has taken over-- I really hope that the suits will give them some time to improve even more.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

This should really be a no-brainer.

bstreis
Member Avatar
No matter what you think, I DO love you.

I've been enjoying GH for weeks, it's currently the only soap I watch so it would be kinda great if they decided to can TheRevolution and give GH another year to get even better. TFP.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

AuroraPhoenix
Mar 29 2012, 05:37 AM
Deadline.com

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Wednesday March 28, 2012 @ 5:43am PDTTags: ABC, General Hospital, The Chew, The Revolution

With the deadline looming for ABC to make a decision about which shows will take the two remaining daytime slots on its schedule next fall, things are looking brighter for the network’s embattled soap General Hospital. It is still the least-watched among the four surviving daytime dramas on ABC, CBS and NBC, averaging 2.3 million viewers for the most recent week we have data for (March 12-16). But the series had a ratings uptick recently (it hit an 18-week high among women 18-49, 657,000, for the week of March 5, which featured the death of a character), and in the female demo, it’s been actually running ahead of NBC’s Days Of Our Lives.

Bullshit!

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.6
2. DAYS 1.1
2. GH 1.1

2. B&B 1.1

That is not running ahead to me.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Mar 29 2012, 11:35 AM.

miou07
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Mar 29 2012, 11:35 AM
AuroraPhoenix
Deadline.com

Bullshit!

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.6
2. DAYS 1.1
2. GH 1.1

2. B&B 1.1

Those are the season to date numbers.

In the week to week ratings, GH generally is higher than Days. It's rare that Days beats GH in that category even with Days having far more Total Viewers.
Edited by miou07, Mar 29 2012, 11:46 AM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

miou07
Mar 29 2012, 11:43 AM
Mitchapalooza
AuroraPhoenix
Deadline.com

Bullshit!

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.6
2. DAYS 1.1
2. GH 1.1

2. B&B 1.1

In the week to week ratings, GH generally is higher than Days. It's rare that Days beats GH in that category even with Days having far more Total Viewers.
Considering Season-To-Date numbers include ALL viewers and not just same-day...I would certainly not say that GH draws higher in 18-49...because the fact is THEY DONT.

miou07
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Mar 29 2012, 11:56 AM
miou07
Mitchapalooza
AuroraPhoenix
Deadline.com

Bullshit!

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.6
2. DAYS 1.1
2. GH 1.1

2. B&B 1.1

Considering Season-To-Date numbers include ALL viewers and not just same-day...I would certainly not say that GH draws higher in 18-49...because the fact is THEY DONT.
I agree that the season to date numbers are the same. All I was saying is that the week to week numbers in the 18-49 women demo are higher in GH's case and have been for awhile. Whether or not Days is higher or lower has no bearing on GH's future and vice versa. Days future is secure regardless. ABCD doesn't care one way or the other how GH is doing vs. Days. All they care about is having a show to replace GH.

All I care about is the soap opera that I love getting the chance to stay on the air.
Edited by miou07, Mar 29 2012, 01:02 PM.

Graham
Member Avatar

GH and The Revolution's ratings both suck. The fact that the latter sucks more may just give GH another year.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

miou07
Mar 29 2012, 12:46 PM
Mitchapalooza
Mar 29 2012, 11:56 AM
miou07
Mitchapalooza

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepDeadline.com

With the deadline looming for ABC to make a decision about which shows will take the two remaining daytime slots on its schedule next fall, things are looking brighter for the network’s embattled soap General Hospital. It is still the least-watched among the four surviving daytime dramas on ABC, CBS and NBC, averaging 2.3 million viewers for the most recent week we have data for (March 12-16). But the series had a ratings uptick recently (it hit an 18-week high among women 18-49, 657,000, for the week of March 5, which featured the death of a character), and in the female demo, it’s been actually running ahead of NBC’s Days Of Our Lives.2. DAYS 1.1
2. GH 1.1

2. B&B 1.1

I agree that the season to date numbers are the same. All I was saying is that the week to week numbers in the 18-49 women demo are higher in GH's case and have been for awhile. Whether or not Days is higher or lower has no bearing on GH's future and vice versa. Days future is secure regardless. ABCD doesn't care one way or the other how GH is doing vs. Days. All they care about is having a show to replace GH.

All I care about is the soap opera that I love getting the chance to stay on the air.
I don't necessarily agree. DAYS is far from secure IMO. Yes DAYS will be around until at least Sep 2013, but beyond that, I would say their future is just as uncertain.

Also, while I agree ABC mainly is trying to kill off their soaps....at the same time I certainly think they care how well the show performs in relation to other networks daytime shows..it still matters.

And I agree, I hope GH is not axed...one more soap being axed if bad for ALL the soaps, no matter what network is doing the axing.

My only issue was with the article's inaccuracy and its implication that GH is performing better in W18-49 than DAYS is, when in fact that is just not true.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

So, Sarah Palin has been on NBC's today show while Katie Couric has been on ABC's Good Morning America co-hosting this week-- who's winning the ratings? Sarah Palin! :shame: So, if Sarah can beat Katie in ratings, what's going to happen this fall when Katie gets her own show? Why didn't ABC think first! :soapbox:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vetting4fun

There is always going to be a soap in the bottom until there is only one.
I say keep these 4 on without te threat f cancellation looming over everyone's heads

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply