Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings for March 19th - 23rd; Awful week for Daytime
Topic Started: Mar 29 2012, 05:06 PM (5,475 Views)
reagon

CarlD2
Mar 29 2012, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure what DAYS wants in terms of a viewer reaction. The writing for the couples is so confusing - they want you to root for everyone and at the same time root for no one.
The thing is with Days, is from the reboot until Xmas we got a lot of happy couples, love scenes, didn't Bo and Hope remarry, Maggie and Victor married, Sami and Rafe a vow ceremony, EJ and Nicole reconciled, super couples back and the ratings were not any better, Add to the fact that all that's being told are recycled stories from the 90s plus a baby drama we just watched 2 years ago. There's really nothing fresh or new aside from Wills story and that's not really new in fact aside from the Marlena Will scenes there really is not a story
Edited by reagon, Mar 29 2012, 08:28 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Corday could hire good new writers with the money he would save by firing Alison Sweeney.

Problem solved.

CarlD2

reagon
Mar 29 2012, 08:25 PM
CarlD2
I'm not sure what DAYS wants in terms of a viewer reaction. The writing for the couples is so confusing - they want you to root for everyone and at the same time root for no one.
The thing is with Days, is from the reboot until Xmas we got a lot of happy couples, love scenes, didn't Bo and Hope remarry, Maggie and Victor married, Sami and Rafe a vow ceremony, EJ and Nicole reconciled, super couples back and the ratings were not any better, Add to the fact that all that's being told are recycled stories from the 90s plus a baby drama we just watched 2 years ago. There's really nothing fresh or new aside from Wills story and that's not really new in fact aside from the Marlena Will scenes there really is not a story
You're right about that. I think that there just is no story in any of this. Early on you had shiny, happy people without a story, now you have hysterical, schizo people without a story. It's sort of like bringing in random pieces and hoping they put themselves together. Hey, let's hire Sarah Brown and Ian Buchanan for...something!

ChampagneRiver
Member Avatar

CarlD2
They're all about trying to string along as many suckers fans at the same time as possible. Never commit to anything, so everybody can keep believing that their favorite couple is the oh-so-special and ever elusive "endgame". It's literally the only point to the writing for the EJ/Sami/Rafe/Nicole/Austin/Carrie/Lucas group. I think MarDar are doing exactly what Corday wants when it comes to these characters.
Edited by ChampagneRiver, Mar 29 2012, 08:35 PM.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

ChampagneRiver
Mar 29 2012, 08:34 PM
CarlD2
They're all about trying to string along as many suckers fans at the same time as possible. Never commit to anything, so everybody can keep believing that their favorite couple is the oh-so-special and ever elusive "endgame". It's literally the only point to the writing for the EJ/Sami/Rafe/Nicole/Austin/Carrie/Lucas group. I think MarDar are doing exactly what Corday wants when it comes to these characters.
Well, Kenny, how's that workin for ya'? Doesn't look like too well by the looks of these ratings.
Soaps need rooting couples; it's a staple of soaps. Days has none.

michr544125

This what happens to DOOL when they keep showing the same characters 5 days a week, while fan favorites keep sitting on the sideline. Not to mention, the stories are all the same with repeated triangles. The best story going is Will coming out but even with that there is a lot of substance missing and it is not playing out enough. That would be playing out 5 days a week instead of Sami, Rafe, Carrie, John/Hope, etc.

Graham
Member Avatar

LMAO at Y&R! They are definitely going to be seeing 2s by summertime. MAB has got to go.

GH and DAYS are both pulling numbers worse than AMC, ATWT, and OLTL before they were cancelled.

DaysForever
Member Avatar

So sad...

That's all I have to say.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

lovinsafe
Mar 29 2012, 07:54 PM
:omg: :wow: Has DAYS ever had ratings this low before? I wonder where the miracle ratings are that the vets were going to bring back, I think they are going in the opposite direction! Like I keep saying you can’t live in the past! The writers aren't writing they are re-hashing old S/L! Viewers are tired of it and are sending a great message ENOUGH is ENOUGH!

RAFE AND SAMI FOREVER AND ALWAYS! :cheer:
To answer your first question...since they didn't hit a 'new low' in HH, I would say that yes they have had at least these ratings in the past.

I'm sorry but Days would KILL SOMEONE to have the ratings they had in 'the past'......problem isn't the vets. Days sucked when the show didn't look like Days because of all the 'new' faces, so much so that had to bring back those veteran character to try to make SOMETHING out of NOTHING.

This was a bad week for ALL soaps not just Days. I'm sure they will improve somewhat in the coming weeks before Days hits the valley again in the summer...

Days has to just tell good stories and that is what they lack. All of us have our favorites and those that we don't like and it's not so much about which couple is together or not, it's the story and how well it's written and if it captivates the audience and KEEPS THEM WATCHING. That's key, we can have a gain of 200K one week and a loss of 250K the following week and Days has done NOTHING. Same thing with this loss, we can gain viewers next week and then lose them again the week after.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

People complained about Mardar, Higley, and every other headwriter Days has had the past 10 years. No writer will ever make all the fans happy. The show is way to supercouple based and you mess with one popular couple and your hated by the fans..The other shows don't have that problem. If Days brought back Sheri Anderson, she'd bomb like anyone else would. It's a different show and genre now than it was when she was writing..There wasn't even internet back in her day.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Mar 29 2012, 11:06 PM
No writer will ever make all the fans happy. The show is way to supercouple based and you mess with one popular couple and your hated by the fans.
LoL, I think Darrell and Marlene are disliked for far more reasons than just messing with the supercouples -- the #1 reason being that they don't know how to write a soap opera.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kevc1980
People complained about Mardar, Higley, and every other headwriter Days has had the past 10 years. No writer will ever make all the fans happy. The show is way to supercouple based and you mess with one popular couple and your hated by the fans..The other shows don't have that problem. If Days brought back Sheri Anderson, she'd bomb like anyone else would. It's a different show and genre now than it was when she was writing..There wasn't even internet back in her day.
I agree 100% although I do agree with Kenny in that with MarDar there are legitimate reasons to be angry.

Days is just a polarizing show. Always has been and always will be, no matter who is writing.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

LOL at Y&R's ratings.

ABE AND SAMI FOREVER AND ALWAYS!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Mar 29 2012, 11:50 PM
Kevc1980
I agree 100% although I do agree with Kenny in that with MarDar there are legitimate reasons to be angry.

Days is just a polarizing show. Always has been and always will be, no matter who is writing.
But Corday did the reset for a reason. He was Higleyīs biggest fan but he finally had to admit the numbers arenīt enough anymore. He knew she is burned out. FF to next year, he has 9 new and expensive actors on the paylist, the writing team is much bigger, there were additional investments in the HTC set and other things, yet the numbers are worse. There simply isnīt an angle to look at it in a positive way.

Yeah, fanbases can be very vocal. We all know that. But we also know when the story is interesting enough they continue to watch even when still bitching about it. Thatīs not the case with DAYS and MarDar now. They ARE still pissing fans left and right but for absolutely no reason. Whatīs the point of Alamainia? Or the completely fucked up J/J/D triangle? Or Abbyīs visit in the crazy world? If the show wants to split the supercouples, ok, but OMG atleast do that in a way so the characters donīt act like they are all after collective lobotomy. Nothing clicks, nothing makes even sligtest sense. Things which are promissing and deserves further focus are ignored and forgotten while we spend tons of time repeating stuff nobody cares. The show now is just a bunch of random scenes featuring the familiar faces.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Mar 30 2012, 01:10 AM
PhoenixRising05
Mar 29 2012, 11:50 PM
Kevc1980

But Corday did the reset for a reason. He was Higleyīs biggest fan but he finally had to admit the numbers arenīt enough anymore. He knew she is burned out. FF to next year, he has 9 new and expensive actors on the paylist, the writing team is much bigger, there were additional investments in the HTC set and other things, yet the numbers are worse. There simply isnīt an angle to look at it in a positive way.

Yeah, fanbases can be very vocal. We all know that. But we also know when the story is interesting enough they continue to watch even when still bitching about it. Thatīs not the case with DAYS and MarDar now. They ARE still pissing fans left and right but for absolutely no reason. Whatīs the point of Alamainia? Or the completely fucked up J/J/D triangle? Or Abbyīs visit in the crazy world? If the show wants to split the supercouples, ok, but OMG atleast do that in a way so the characters donīt act like they are all after collective lobotomy. Nothing clicks, nothing makes even sligtest sense. Things which are promissing and deserves further focus are ignored and forgotten while we spend tons of time repeating stuff nobody cares. The show now is just a bunch of random scenes featuring the familiar faces.

I agree about all your story points.

My only point of disagreement is what I've been saying for weeks...I don't think Days is panicking at the numbers because the season to date numbers are good and so are likely the online numbers. GH is the only show that is and that is only because no matter what number they bring in they would be in danger given ABC. Before anyone claims the season to date and online numbers don't matter, that has already been proven false in 2010 when Days' live+same day numbers were AWFUL the entire year for the most part and the show got a multi-year renewal. Corday hyped up the online numbers that year and the press release touted the season to date numbers even though they were down from the previous year (those numbers were not as far down though as the live+same day numbers were the bulk of the year though). Days' numbers are fine in the broad scheme of things season to date so I don't think there is worry amongst Corday and co. nor do I think the show is worried about the budget (especially since it looks like guarantees were slashed left and right and we've had less extras and principal guests used as well as we've seen less characters per episode most days). The writing team isn't much bigger than it was, really. Plus, the show is going to produce two weeks less of episodes this year due to the Olympics so that will help somewhat. I think we'll see Corday do what he always does. He will start cutting cast and money when the renewal draws near to make it look like he's doing something in an extra effort to appease NBC. Even if they don't ask for him to do that, he will do it just to make it look like he's presenting a cheaper product. As soon as he gets the renewal, he'll probably add to the cast like always. That's his MO. He slashes away before or right after renewals and the cast bloats again.

Having said all this, the show has major issues to resolve. Even if this can be written off as a bad week for daytime as a whole and even if the season to date numbers and online numbers are good, the show still can't let this keep going on. It just can't. The bulk of the show is a mess and something needs to be done.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Mar 30 2012, 01:34 AM.

LPS
Member Avatar

No offense to the other soap fans, but I'm having a hard time sympathizing with your complaints. Watch Y&R for one week, and you'll see a truly sh*tty soap. It's BEYOND awful. It is the worst soap, by far. I've been watching B&B and GH and I keep up with Days, and they ain't got nothin' on the crapfest that is Y&R.

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Mar 30 2012, 01:29 AM
Days' numbers are fine in the broad scheme of things season to date so I don't think there is worry amongst Corday and co. nor do I think the show is worried about the budget (especially since it looks like guarantees were slashed left and right and we've had less extras and principal guests used as well as we've seen less characters per episode most days). The writing team isn't much bigger than it was, really. Plus, the show is going to produce two weeks less of episodes this year due to the Olympics so that will help somewhat. I think we'll see Corday do what he always does. He will start cutting cast and money when the renewal draws near to make it look like he's doing something in an extra effort to appease NBC. Even if they don't ask for him to do that, he will do it just to make it look like he's presenting a cheaper product. As soon as he gets the renewal, he'll probably add to the cast like always. That's his MO. He slashes away before or right after renewals and the cast bloats again.

Having said all this, the show has major issues to resolve. Even if this can be written off as a bad week for daytime as a whole and even if the season to date numbers and online numbers are good, the show still can't let this keep going on. It just can't. The bulk of the show is a mess and something needs to be done.
First, Iīm big fan of TVbythenumbers.com and they always say using season averages and Live+7 or DVR numbers is a classic excuse of failed shows trying to look better. As long as networks arenīt able to effectively monetize the delayed viewing itīs just a nice PR number. IMO, Corday mentioning the online and other numbers has as much weight as Passionīs producers constantly talking about 18-34 or even the teen girls demos. He is a salesman so itīs his job to present the numbers in the best way possible. But situation behind the closet door can be quite different.

Second, the two year renewall was esencially a gift and it will never happen again. Zucker was leaving, he had no responsibility anymore and there was the recent upswing he could put in the charts and present it in a positive way. You can bet the network saw the massive firings of vets as a good thing. It made the show younger, fresher and more oriented on future. As producer, I would certainly had more faith in a show like that than what we have now.

Third, I donīt see how bringing in 9 new characters who made absolutely zero difference can be seen as a good thing. We as fans know they could be huge again (atleast some of them) but if the writing isnīt there why bother. Seems they could just continue with EJ/Taylor and Mel on FB in every storyline and things would be the same. The reset was an investment and it didnīt pay off. I donīt believe for a second Corday is OK with that. He seemed nervous when he promissed how different things will be when we reach the March and we are seeing the stories being pulled and rerouted almost on daily basis. And we arenīt even speaking about the first round of post-reset stories where MarDar were still finetuning things. We are talking about the second run, started in late Feb, where the feedback from fans was already considered.

Finally, I agree with you we will soon see Corday go into a panicking mode. I think part of the problem is MarDar know they are on the slipping grounds and their desperate attempts to please fans and turn things around are just making things worse. I would be shocked if they surive past their contract period. Iīm just afraid it will be too late. Thatīs why I hope Corday already noticed them and is negotiating with someone else. I donīt care about the couples or fanbases, I just want someone who is able to tell a story.

Evan
Member Avatar

I agree with what someone else said earlier on in this thread: even when they suck, Y&R and B&B are still more watchable than DAYS & GH.
DAYS is still a hot mess, and the same group of boring characters get far too much airtime, while other people who should be getting airtime(notably Jack & Sonny) are shoved on to the backburner.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

I tend to think that Days has lived because the network's awful showing ratings wise particularly with their prime time lineup. NBC has bigger fish to fry than their only remaining daytime soap and with the examples of the Revolution on ABC, they might be thinking twice about what to do with Days come renewal time if they were leaning on canceling it. I still think Days will live to reach it's 50th anniversary and then close out with a bang that year.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

LPS
Mar 30 2012, 04:37 AM
No offense to the other soap fans, but I'm having a hard time sympathizing with your complaints. Watch Y&R for one week, and you'll see a truly sh*tty soap. It's BEYOND awful. It is the worst soap, by far. I've been watching B&B and GH and I keep up with Days, and they ain't got nothin' on the crapfest that is Y&R.
I began watching Y & R from Day 1-- my parents are HUGE fans and I do have to agree with you-- this show is simply terrible now. I know it's bad when my Mom tells me she's not watching anymore because it's so bad--keep in mind she planned NOTHING in between 12:30 and 1:30 everyday just so she could watch the show. It was even better when LML was there and that's saying a lot!

B & B seems to be the soap that just kind of plugs along-- not much is said about the show but yet it gets OK ratings.

GH, I think has gotten better. Characters seem to be in character, if that makes sense. Luke is the Luke we've known, Anna is Anna-- written as Anna and the list goes on..... I know there's been talk about the whole OLTL characters "taking" over but I just don't see that. Yes, there's been a handful of characters that are there-- Todd, Starr and McBain, but I don't call that a complete takeover. If anything, I think they're adding to some storylines. I'm really liking the writing of the show now. I'm looking forward to seeing the Quartermaine family being beefed up in the coming months too.

Days, I think, shows the same characters doing the same thing all of the time. I always read it's so balanced now but it's the same characters that are being shown. They may be on a few days a week instead of all days but it's still the same people. That's my issue with the show. How I would love to see Jack and Jennifer work their way back together or Justin and Adrienne deal with a family or health issue or Victor going back to the Victor we know and have loved but yet we get the same storylines with the same basic characters. Anyway, I know that people disagree with me on that but that's my opinion.

I really hope that the shows do get better. Despite all of the crap on the shows, I don't want to see any more shows being cancelled. This is a part of television history and I believe its future and it needs to be saved and stay!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply