Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings for March 19th - 23rd; Awful week for Daytime
Topic Started: Mar 29 2012, 05:06 PM (5,484 Views)
Evan
Member Avatar

Nothing's changed on DAYS: still way too much pimping of Rafe, Sami, EJ, Nicole
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

jane1978
Mar 30 2012, 04:48 AM
PhoenixRising05
Mar 30 2012, 01:29 AM
Days' numbers are fine in the broad scheme of things season to date so I don't think there is worry amongst Corday and co. nor do I think the show is worried about the budget (especially since it looks like guarantees were slashed left and right and we've had less extras and principal guests used as well as we've seen less characters per episode most days). The writing team isn't much bigger than it was, really. Plus, the show is going to produce two weeks less of episodes this year due to the Olympics so that will help somewhat. I think we'll see Corday do what he always does. He will start cutting cast and money when the renewal draws near to make it look like he's doing something in an extra effort to appease NBC. Even if they don't ask for him to do that, he will do it just to make it look like he's presenting a cheaper product. As soon as he gets the renewal, he'll probably add to the cast like always. That's his MO. He slashes away before or right after renewals and the cast bloats again.

Having said all this, the show has major issues to resolve. Even if this can be written off as a bad week for daytime as a whole and even if the season to date numbers and online numbers are good, the show still can't let this keep going on. It just can't. The bulk of the show is a mess and something needs to be done.
First, Iīm big fan of TVbythenumbers.com and they always say using season averages and Live+7 or DVR numbers is a classic excuse of failed shows trying to look better. As long as networks arenīt able to effectively monetize the delayed viewing itīs just a nice PR number. IMO, Corday mentioning the online and other numbers has as much weight as Passionīs producers constantly talking about 18-34 or even the teen girls demos. He is a salesman so itīs his job to present the numbers in the best way possible. But situation behind the closet door can be quite different.

Second, the two year renewall was esencially a gift and it will never happen again. Zucker was leaving, he had no responsibility anymore and there was the recent upswing he could put in the charts and present it in a positive way. You can bet the network saw the massive firings of vets as a good thing. It made the show younger, fresher and more oriented on future. As producer, I would certainly had more faith in a show like that than what we have now.

Third, I donīt see how bringing in 9 new characters who made absolutely zero difference can be seen as a good thing. We as fans know they could be huge again (atleast some of them) but if the writing isnīt there why bother. Seems they could just continue with EJ/Taylor and Mel on FB in every storyline and things would be the same. The reset was an investment and it didnīt pay off. I donīt believe for a second Corday is OK with that. He seemed nervous when he promissed how different things will be when we reach the March and we are seeing the stories being pulled and rerouted almost on daily basis. And we arenīt even speaking about the first round of post-reset stories where MarDar were still finetuning things. We are talking about the second run, started in late Feb, where the feedback from fans was already considered.

Finally, I agree with you we will soon see Corday go into a panicking mode. I think part of the problem is MarDar know they are on the slipping grounds and their desperate attempts to please fans and turn things around are just making things worse. I would be shocked if they surive past their contract period. Iīm just afraid it will be too late. Thatīs why I hope Corday already noticed them and is negotiating with someone else. I donīt care about the couples or fanbases, I just want someone who is able to tell a story.
This!!! :hail: :hail:

I totally expect to see Corday come out soon with one of his "plans to save Days" interviews. He put a lot into the whole reset, and it hasn't panned out. These writers have had time to show us good stories and give us a least some of the things they promised, and the fact is, they haven't delivered. I believe they started writing in May of 2011, and I will be surprised if they go past May of 2012. I, like you, just hope it isn't too late by the time they get the heave ho. We need good, fresh stories, not mediocre redoes.

blueskies
Member Avatar

WTF HAPPENED?? Every single day the ratings were HORRIBLE for DOOL. That's the really distressing part, it's not like one bad day took down the whole week, it WAS the whole week! Seriously terrible....

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

LuvingLumi
Mar 30 2012, 07:05 AM
I tend to think that Days has lived because the network's awful showing ratings wise particularly with their prime time lineup. NBC has bigger fish to fry than their only remaining daytime soap and with the examples of the Revolution on ABC, they might be thinking twice about what to do with Days come renewal time if they were leaning on canceling it. I still think Days will live to reach it's 50th anniversary and then close out with a bang that year.
Not only that, but I also think that DAYS longevity (nearly 50 yrs on the air on NBC) and the fact that it IS their last network soap, is another thing that has cooled NBC's attempt at getting rid of it. I think NBC is glad they can still promote that they have scripted program that has lasted nearly a half-century, its good PR for them. It was much easier for NBC to get rid of PASSIONS, SUNSET BEACH and ANOTHER WORLD, because at the end of the day, they still had DAYS in their back pocket.

Also, no network in HISTORY has ever completely cancelled their entire soap lineup...that IMO is a VERY huge move to make, and I think NBC/ABC/CBS (well maybe ABC to a lesser extent) are all a bit gun shy on pulling the trigger completely. It is certainly easier to reduce your soap lineup, but to completely remove it, when it is all you have known for 60 years, is a pretty big move, that has risks for sure, regardless of how ratings and daytime viewership have drastically changed.

And in a way, OLTL and AMC getting cancelled and the huge backlash and utter failure of their replacements on ABC has certainly helped DAYS/Y&R/B&B fortunes @ NBC & CBS...I think both those networks certainly don't want anything near the kind of backlash or failure that ABC is currently experiencing in their daytime sector because of those cancellations.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Mar 30 2012, 12:50 PM.

reagon

I don't know about all the backlash or the failures at ABC. The Revolution has failed but The Chew seems To be doing ok, as do The Talk, Let's Make. A Deal. Almost all the replacements including NBC extending the Today show for 2 hours to replace cancelled soaps on their lineup seem to be fairing fine.

Despite the feelings otherwise, Les Moonves doesn't care about soaps and is content to watch Y&R self destruct. I don't think The Revolution failing improved GHs longevity, ABC wants out of the soap business and I personally can't see GH such a dark depressing dismal show fitting in-between The Chew and Katie, 2 shows loaded with perky lively personalities good or bad as they might be.

90 percent of new primetime shows fail every year so why does it matter if one daytime show out of how many fail.

TV is about making money. When something cease to do that no amount of sentiment or alleged backlash is going to save anything. Shows like Chuck and Jericho got stays of execution because rather than threatening boycotts and picketing, their fans actually took a more proactive approach enlisting the support of sponsors to help These shows through campaigns and endorsements. The subway chuck campaign an example of a situation where the fans actually helped drive sponsorship and dollars up.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

I know that MarDar are going to take most of the blame for failing stories and bad ratings, but there are several factions who are pushing their own story agendas. As long as that situation continues, no matter who the head writer is, they are not going to be able to write their own stories with a free hand.

CarlD2

talbab1994
Mar 30 2012, 07:29 AM
LPS
Mar 30 2012, 04:37 AM
No offense to the other soap fans, but I'm having a hard time sympathizing with your complaints. Watch Y&R for one week, and you'll see a truly sh*tty soap. It's BEYOND awful. It is the worst soap, by far. I've been watching B&B and GH and I keep up with Days, and they ain't got nothin' on the crapfest that is Y&R.
I began watching Y & R from Day 1-- my parents are HUGE fans and I do have to agree with you-- this show is simply terrible now. I know it's bad when my Mom tells me she's not watching anymore because it's so bad--keep in mind she planned NOTHING in between 12:30 and 1:30 everyday just so she could watch the show. It was even better when LML was there and that's saying a lot!

B & B seems to be the soap that just kind of plugs along-- not much is said about the show but yet it gets OK ratings.

GH, I think has gotten better. Characters seem to be in character, if that makes sense. Luke is the Luke we've known, Anna is Anna-- written as Anna and the list goes on..... I know there's been talk about the whole OLTL characters "taking" over but I just don't see that. Yes, there's been a handful of characters that are there-- Todd, Starr and McBain, but I don't call that a complete takeover. If anything, I think they're adding to some storylines. I'm really liking the writing of the show now. I'm looking forward to seeing the Quartermaine family being beefed up in the coming months too.

Days, I think, shows the same characters doing the same thing all of the time. I always read it's so balanced now but it's the same characters that are being shown. They may be on a few days a week instead of all days but it's still the same people. That's my issue with the show. How I would love to see Jack and Jennifer work their way back together or Justin and Adrienne deal with a family or health issue or Victor going back to the Victor we know and have loved but yet we get the same storylines with the same basic characters. Anyway, I know that people disagree with me on that but that's my opinion.

I really hope that the shows do get better. Despite all of the crap on the shows, I don't want to see any more shows being cancelled. This is a part of television history and I believe its future and it needs to be saved and stay!
I think Luke is being written OK (it's rushed buy I guess they had no real choice) but I don't recognize Anna at all. Her grief for Robin was rushed, she is already moving out of the house a few days after Robin's funeral, to leave Emma to be taken care of by a grieving father with a demanding job. The show doesn't remember that she already lost a child. The show doesn't remember that she and Luke only met in 2006. Anna is just being used to serve Luke's story, which continues to be GH's main failing, for me - the same few faces dominate. Sonny, Luke, Jason, Carly.

DAYS just needs to give a reason to care. No stories ever have consequences. It's crazy to have a story about Sami and EJ being grief-stricken and having sex out of pain and disgust, then hand-wave this off as "good sex." If viewers are supposed to just shrug at stories, then they have less reason to watch.

natdot99
Member Avatar

What destroying the soap opera genre is the writing by the writers!!
Who wants to watch the replayed and redundant s/l everday?
A fan could stop watching their favorite soap opera for years and come back to find the same storyline from when stop watching it!
I stopped watching Y&R when Daisy got out of jail, got custody of Lucy, and found an expensive apartment in less than a week?? Daisy is Sheila Carter daughter and she wants to torment Lauren, just like her mother did, twenty or fifteen years ago!!
On Days, Stephano has Hope as Gina, again. Wasn't this s/l from twenty years ago?
Soap opera fans deserve better s/ls.
Edited by natdot99, Mar 30 2012, 01:41 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Plus, the show is going to produce two weeks less of episodes this year due to the Olympics so that will help somewhat.
Is that confirmed? Even if they don't air episodes during the Olympics they might still tape episodes, no? That would mean they would get even further ahead in the shooting schedule.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Well I personally hope DAYS continues to fall and fall....this show deserves to TRULY lose everything!

I also hope NBC finally wakes up and gives DAYS the boot it deserves. The show is on borrowed time and it is now BEYOND clear that TPTB really have ABSOLUTELY no clue on how to save it whatsoever.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
PhoenixRising05
Days' numbers are fine in the broad scheme of things season to date so I don't think there is worry amongst Corday and co. nor do I think the show is worried about the budget (especially since it looks like guarantees were slashed left and right and we've had less extras and principal guests used as well as we've seen less characters per episode most days). The writing team isn't much bigger than it was, really. Plus, the show is going to produce two weeks less of episodes this year due to the Olympics so that will help somewhat. I think we'll see Corday do what he always does. He will start cutting cast and money when the renewal draws near to make it look like he's doing something in an extra effort to appease NBC. Even if they don't ask for him to do that, he will do it just to make it look like he's presenting a cheaper product. As soon as he gets the renewal, he'll probably add to the cast like always. That's his MO. He slashes away before or right after renewals and the cast bloats again.

Having said all this, the show has major issues to resolve. Even if this can be written off as a bad week for daytime as a whole and even if the season to date numbers and online numbers are good, the show still can't let this keep going on. It just can't. The bulk of the show is a mess and something needs to be done.
First, Iīm big fan of TVbythenumbers.com and they always say using season averages and Live+7 or DVR numbers is a classic excuse of failed shows trying to look better. As long as networks arenīt able to effectively monetize the delayed viewing itīs just a nice PR number. IMO, Corday mentioning the online and other numbers has as much weight as Passionīs producers constantly talking about 18-34 or even the teen girls demos. He is a salesman so itīs his job to present the numbers in the best way possible. But situation behind the closet door can be quite different.

Second, the two year renewall was esencially a gift and it will never happen again. Zucker was leaving, he had no responsibility anymore and there was the recent upswing he could put in the charts and present it in a positive way. You can bet the network saw the massive firings of vets as a good thing. It made the show younger, fresher and more oriented on future. As producer, I would certainly had more faith in a show like that than what we have now.

Third, I donīt see how bringing in 9 new characters who made absolutely zero difference can be seen as a good thing. We as fans know they could be huge again (atleast some of them) but if the writing isnīt there why bother. Seems they could just continue with EJ/Taylor and Mel on FB in every storyline and things would be the same. The reset was an investment and it didnīt pay off. I donīt believe for a second Corday is OK with that. He seemed nervous when he promissed how different things will be when we reach the March and we are seeing the stories being pulled and rerouted almost on daily basis. And we arenīt even speaking about the first round of post-reset stories where MarDar were still finetuning things. We are talking about the second run, started in late Feb, where the feedback from fans was already considered.

Finally, I agree with you we will soon see Corday go into a panicking mode. I think part of the problem is MarDar know they are on the slipping grounds and their desperate attempts to please fans and turn things around are just making things worse. I would be shocked if they surive past their contract period. Iīm just afraid it will be too late. Thatīs why I hope Corday already noticed them and is negotiating with someone else. I donīt care about the couples or fanbases, I just want someone who is able to tell a story.
Even if it were a gift, NBC could've just cancelled Days and paid whatever they had to in order to get rid of it the minute new management took over. They didn't. That should tell you that things are not as bad as so many think. Not to mention the fact that an NBC exec was quoted in an article a month ago saying they were pleased with Days' performance.

I think we would see far more panicking, especially given the filming schedule, if things were really bad. We aren't. Therefore, while I acknowledge the show is a mess right now and agree that major improvement is needed, I just don't think you can applay "the sky is falling" mentality based on these numbers when we know in this day and age of TV that it's not just about the live+same day numbers.

Also, as long as NBC is in the toilet as a network, I think Days is safe too. Hell, NBC is going to end up renewing primetime shows that get similar numbers or LOWER to Days in demos because they have nothing else. That alone should tell you something. If NBC as a network was seeing success, I think it may be much worse for Days. Also, NBC and CBS are probably looking at ABC and how the talk show replacements for their cancelled soaps did and are probably going to be less likely to cancel until they know they have something worth it to put on the air.

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Mar 30 2012, 03:19 PM
jane1978
PhoenixRising05

Even if it were a gift, NBC could've just cancelled Days and paid whatever they had to in order to get rid of it the minute new management took over. They didn't. That should tell you that things are not as bad as so many think. Not to mention the fact that an NBC exec was quoted in an article a month ago saying they were pleased with Days' performance.

I think we would see far more panicking, especially given the filming schedule, if things were really bad. We aren't. Therefore, while I acknowledge the show is a mess right now and agree that major improvement is needed, I just don't think you can applay "the sky is falling" mentality based on these numbers when we know in this day and age of TV that it's not just about the live+same day numbers.

Also, as long as NBC is in the toilet as a network, I think Days is safe too. Hell, NBC is going to end up renewing primetime shows that get similar numbers or LOWER to Days in demos because they have nothing else. That alone should tell you something. If NBC as a network was seeing success, I think it may be much worse for Days. Also, NBC and CBS are probably looking at ABC and how the talk show replacements for their cancelled soaps did and are probably going to be less likely to cancel until they know they have something worth it to put on the air.
But if everything was great and NBC happy with the numbers why Corday fired Higley last year? She had the same ratings and much less expensive cast. And Corday loved her. She couldnīt have a bigger supporter. You donīt start huge campaign like for the reset and completely remodel the show to ultimately pay more for the same.

Does it means the show will be canceled? Of course not. And I agree NBC is in a terrible state and they have to use different standards of success than the other networks. But if Corday has absolutely nothing to offer the negotiation will be pretty brutal. Can the show really survive another round of budget cuts? Another mass firings? Another round of paycuts and staff reductions? Even now weīve already reached a point where Nadia refused to return simply because the offer was too small. And she wasnīt first.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Mar 29 2012, 11:12 PM
Kevc1980
Mar 29 2012, 11:06 PM
No writer will ever make all the fans happy. The show is way to supercouple based and you mess with one popular couple and your hated by the fans.
LoL, I think Darrell and Marlene are disliked for far more reasons than just messing with the supercouples -- the #1 reason being that they don't know how to write a soap opera.
Yeah, I really don't care about the couples -- but that's part of the problem -- I don't care. I don't care about the couples and, with a few exceptions, I don't even really care about any of the characters as individuals anymore. When characters' personalities and motivations are constantly changing on a dime (along with the haphazard style of storytelling characteristic of Darrell and Marlene), why should I invest in or root for any of them? I used to think that Darrell and Marlene had an idea of what they wanted to accomplish with the characters and the problem was just that they had no idea how to execute those ideas. Now, I'm not even sure if they know what they want to do.

At this point, I'm completely apathetic to anything that goes on on this show, which tells me that I just need to stop watching (again).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Mar 30 2012, 04:15 PM
PhoenixRising05
jane1978
PhoenixRising05

But if everything was great and NBC happy with the numbers why Corday fired Higley last year? She had the same ratings and much less expensive cast. And Corday loved her. She couldnīt have a bigger supporter. You donīt start huge campaign like for the reset and completely remodel the show to ultimately pay more for the same.

Does it means the show will be canceled? Of course not. And I agree NBC is in a terrible state and they have to use different standards of success than the other networks. But if Corday has absolutely nothing to offer the negotiation will be pretty brutal. Can the show really survive another round of budget cuts? Another mass firings? Another round of paycuts and staff reductions? Even now weīve already reached a point where Nadia refused to return simply because the offer was too small. And she wasnīt first.

If you remember Corday's interviews, he spent more time talking about how HE felt about the show than how the fans felt. He kept saying the show was took dark and unrecognizable in terms of where the focus was. Corday never gets rid of head writers based on fan dissent or ratings. If he did, he wouldn't wait as long as he does. Head writers only tend to go when he's sick of them unless he's forced to make a move like he was with JER in 2003. Look at Langan. They had a falling out and he was gone. He should've been axed before that but it wasn't until Corday got fed up that he was. The ratings were up with B&C in 2002 but he axed them despite that. He cited budget reasons but it's been said over the years that he didn't like them because they wouldn't write what he wanted them to. SSM was the same thing. The numbers were declining long before she was axed. Corday lets writers go when he wants to, not when it's right to. So, I don't think Higley's ouster has as much to do with panicking over the numbers than it does Corday was just sick of her. The fact he admitted it was in the works for months IMO proves that because Days' numbers weren't that bad around the time it seemed he began to think about getting rid of her.

WGuyMd35

I think there is a lot of good with Days right now, and alot of bad. They have the right mix of characters, and the character writing and dialog is great. However, the overall storylines are bad (with the exception of Will's coming out, which is basically character-driven, not a created storyline/plot.) Despite the lack of interesting stories, I still find it interesting enough to watch nearly every day.

It's a shame about the ratings, and it's easy to arm-chair quaterback and blame this or that. In reality it's a combination of things, some of which have nothing to do with the show, but with the way viewers live and watch tv in 2012. But one thing that I think is overlooked is one very likely enemy to the show is actually the devoted fans. No matter what TPTB do or don't do, people bitch. If the show isn't being written the way someone wants, they rant they aren't going to watch. No other show on tv has these couple "fanbases". No matter what they write, there will be more unhappy groups than happy. Take Sami - you got groups that are devoted to her with being Lucas, EJ, Rafe, probably even some Austin/Sami lovers out there too. So, at any given time, you have 75% of viewers who like Sami unhappy with the show depending on who she's with. And another segment complaining they don't want to see her at all. While that's great to have die-hard fans, it's also a silent killer and a losing battle for the writers. There is no way everyone can be pleased.

I just watch the show because I've watched it since the 1980s. The characters are like a distant family and I tune in to see what they are up to. I don't really care who is in love with whom, it is what it is. Some years I enjoy the show and cant miss a day, other years I barely tune in. I'm just happy it's on, and hope it will be for a very long time.

Cupcake06

WGuyMd35
Mar 30 2012, 07:11 PM
But one thing that I think is overlooked is one very likely enemy to the show is actually the devoted fans. No matter what TPTB do or don't do, people bitch. If the show isn't being written the way someone wants, they rant they aren't going to watch. No other show on tv has these couple "fanbases". No matter what they write, there will be more unhappy groups than happy.
If TPTB are only going based on what they read online from a small number of people that watch the show about these damn couples, they are true idiots. And if all they care about is who is with who (and that is probably what they hear about the most)--again, idiots.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mar 30 2012, 06:14 PM
jane1978
Mar 30 2012, 04:15 PM
PhoenixRising05
jane1978

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

If you remember Corday's interviews, he spent more time talking about how HE felt about the show than how the fans felt. He kept saying the show was took dark and unrecognizable in terms of where the focus was. Corday never gets rid of head writers based on fan dissent or ratings. If he did, he wouldn't wait as long as he does. Head writers only tend to go when he's sick of them unless he's forced to make a move like he was with JER in 2003. Look at Langan. They had a falling out and he was gone. He should've been axed before that but it wasn't until Corday got fed up that he was. The ratings were up with B&C in 2002 but he axed them despite that. He cited budget reasons but it's been said over the years that he didn't like them because they wouldn't write what he wanted them to. SSM was the same thing. The numbers were declining long before she was axed. Corday lets writers go when he wants to, not when it's right to. So, I don't think Higley's ouster has as much to do with panicking over the numbers than it does Corday was just sick of her. The fact he admitted it was in the works for months IMO proves that because Days' numbers weren't that bad around the time it seemed he began to think about getting rid of her.
And that is part of the problem. Corday needs to stop dictating to the writers because what the fans want to see and what Corday wants to see are two very different things. Corday has had an obsession with GG and SC for years and despite the fact that their characters are hated, we're still having them shoved down our throats. Matt has never been one of Corday's favorite people which explains why Jack's on the backburner. The writers are forced to write for the characters that Corday wants and that is doing far more harm than good. This shows needs new writers and for Corday to stay the hell out of the writers' room.
Edited by LanaluvsBroe, Mar 31 2012, 09:07 AM.

lysie
Member Avatar

It's a shame that Wednesday was low. That day was really good. Ratings are just nonsensical.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

For the most part, DAYS has all the pieces they need cast wise (minus a few VERY MUCH expendable characters) they just need a competent headwriter and to trim some of the BEYOND horrible scriptwriters (I mean you Pete T. Rich!)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mitchapalooza
Mar 31 2012, 01:51 PM
For the most part, DAYS has all the pieces they need cast wise (minus a few VERY MUCH expendable characters) they just need a competent headwriter and to trim some of the BEYOND horrible scriptwriters (I mean you Pete T. Rich!)
Agreed. The only scriptwriters I would keep on would be the Culliton's. The others IMO stink. Lacey Dyer is ok but she has more misses than hits IMO.

I've given up on Corday ever not sticking his nose in the writing. That will never happen. We will have spurts when he's not involved but, eventually, he will get back involved. The only time his influence wasn't felt was in 2009 and that was because he was busy with his book. He needs to go write another one.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply