Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings for March 19th - 23rd; Awful week for Daytime
Topic Started: Mar 29 2012, 05:06 PM (5,312 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

^I think Lacey Dyer is good...Shroeder is not bad either.

Rich is the worst, followed by Levinson and Watt. Those 3 FOR SURE need to go!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 31 2012, 01:10 PM
It's a shame that Wednesday was low. That day was really good. Ratings are just nonsensical.
I thought it was a boring day. Marlena's speechifying sounded hollow and lacked any emotional depth of feeling. She came across as someone playing at being a matriarch, but lacking a true matriarch's passion of family and feeling. She sounded like a politician trying to shame and rally the troops in an effort to create the perfect sound bite. The arguments between the 30+ year olds just came off as silly and lacking any true punch because of the weak acting on all fronts. The mayor's storyline continued to be ridiculous, even though I did like Abe/Jennifer's arrest at the very end. I don't even remember Ian/Kate/Billie being in the scene.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

badaddiction
Mar 31 2012, 03:33 PM
lysie
It's a shame that Wednesday was low. That day was really good. Ratings are just nonsensical.
I thought it was a boring day. Marlena's speechifying sounded hollow and lacked any emotional depth of feeling. She came across as someone playing at being a matriarch, but lacking a true matriarch's passion of family and feeling. She sounded like a politician trying to shame and rally the troops in an effort to create the perfect sound bite. The arguments between the 30+ year olds just came off as silly and lacking any true punch because of the weak acting on all fronts. The mayor's storyline continued to be ridiculous, even though I did like Abe/Jennifer's arrest at the very end. I don't even remember Ian/Kate/Billie being in the scene.
ITA with you about Marlena. Spot on description.

lysie
Member Avatar

badaddiction
Mar 31 2012, 03:33 PM
lysie
Okay. Well, I don't agree, and I still think it's a shame it was a low rated day. The whole episode felt more soapy than the show has in a very long time. Until this past week, I think the show was showing some improvement. IMO, that's what the show always does. Sweeps sucks, and then they have a few good weeks of good (or at least decent) shows, lol. Whether the episode was good or bad is probably irrelevant anyway because I'm pretty sure content has nothing to do with ratings, but it's always nice when you enjoy an episode and it's reflected in the ratings.

Mindy
Member Avatar

Wow. I didn't realize the ratings were so bad. Yikes.

lastDays
Member Avatar

The final nail in daytime soaps' coffin is fast approachng

I can't figure out whose writing is worst for Days.Higley or MarDar

blueskies
Member Avatar

lastDays
Apr 3 2012, 09:00 AM
The final nail in daytime soaps' coffin is fast approachng

I can't figure out whose writing is worst for Days.Higley or MarDar
Higley, by far. I wanted to scratch my eyes out & beat the tv to a pulp. At least with MarDar I just fall asleep.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Obviously, MarDar sucks. No denying that.

But Sheffer talked about just how much the NBC and Sony execs interfered with his writing. That he wasn't allowed to do certain stories or was forced to change them because those executives made him. His vision was trampled all over.

So I wonder how much of that is going on now. How much these executives are forcing certain pairings or writing certain couples together or showcasing certain actors/actresses because of their beliefs in how things should be.

newlabone

i am a new member and here is my 2 cents worth . just think if days hired the 2 most popular actors that were leads from every soap which was on the air for the last 15 years ! wouldn't that be great ! probably ,but if you don't have good writer s who can write great stories the soap would sink to the bottom of the pack. the actors can give there all in there effort to do justice to the storey they have to play but crappy writing means crappy ratings. i love days but i have been recording it and watching it in about 15 minutes very little interest me anymore. i like wills storey line because it is helping me understand thinks about people who are gay. i find it educational and lets me understand whats gay men/women are going through. i like that alice has a secret but the writers got that so messed up i have no interest. ian as got to go . when hes on screen i just ff till his mug is gone. there great promise in the idea of nichole being pregnant but they will screw that up as well. there could be alot of great storey there. time to say goodbye to john,jack,gabi,stefano,ian,madie,. time to give up on some of those old unbelievable storey lines like the pawn and that crap. tell more stories you can relate to , a man having an affair the pain it causes the family and children for excample good deep storey telling people who are going through this in real life and can watch related even get some guidence from the show, wills storey line is lioke that if the writer don't fool up that storey . isn't that what would work,stories the everday person can relate to not foolish pawn stories. there i have vented. oh new writer repair the damage very very quickly with in weeks get the stories back to go storey !

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

newlabone
Apr 4 2012, 10:20 PM
i am a new member and here is my 2 cents worth . just think if days hired the 2 most popular actors that were leads from every soap which was on the air for the last 15 years !
It has already been proven that fans don't follow their favorites to other soaps.

Crystal Chappell's return didn't bring the Otalia or GL fans to DAYS.
Maura West didn't bring the ATWT fans to Y&R.
Kim Zimmer didn't bring the GL fans to OLTL.
Lindsay Hartley didn't bring the Passions fans to DAYS or AMC.

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CarlD2

Sariah
Apr 4 2012, 12:09 AM
Obviously, MarDar sucks. No denying that.

But Sheffer talked about just how much the NBC and Sony execs interfered with his writing. That he wasn't allowed to do certain stories or was forced to change them because those executives made him. His vision was trampled all over.

So I wonder how much of that is going on now. How much these executives are forcing certain pairings or writing certain couples together or showcasing certain actors/actresses because of their beliefs in how things should be.

While I do believe the executives interfere, I think the headwriter still ends up showing some of their influence. For instance, Sheffer's DAYS had the same very toxic stamp that he leaves on all his shows, like the brilliant choice to have Jeremy Horton return as a psycho, and to justify this by saying Robin and Mike had abused him.

blueskies
Member Avatar

darraholic
Apr 4 2012, 10:40 PM
newlabone
i am a new member and here is my 2 cents worth . just think if days hired the 2 most popular actors that were leads from every soap which was on the air for the last 15 years !
It has already been proven that fans don't follow their favorites to other soaps.

Lindsay brought me back (though I was a Days fan pre-EJ and pre-Passions) and I tuned into AMC when she went there (never watched any soap besides Days/Passions before that). But I do agree on a grand-scale, the fans don't follow their faves and it's a waste of time to hire so-called "ratings-grabbers".

chrisannabanana

blueskies
Apr 5 2012, 10:16 AM
darraholic
newlabone

Lindsay brought me back (though I was a Days fan pre-EJ and pre-Passions) and I tuned into AMC when she went there (never watched any soap besides Days/Passions before that). But I do agree on a grand-scale, the fans don't follow their faves and it's a waste of time to hire so-called "ratings-grabbers".
I think the amount of fans that move with there favourites depends on the amount of exposure and promotion the soap does to let fans know of the transition... when LH came on to Days, none of my friends knew. From what I remember, they didn't do much to hype up her return to her Passions castmates so how will the fans from Passions know to watch Days? LH did do a couple of magazine articles but who reads print anymore? it's all about the web and tv.

Now we have twitter which helps alot but back 3-4 years ago, twitter either didn't exist or wasn't as big as it is now.

blueskies
Member Avatar

chrisannabanana
Apr 8 2012, 07:58 PM
blueskies
darraholic
newlabone

I think the amount of fans that move with there favourites depends on the amount of exposure and promotion the soap does to let fans know of the transition... when LH came on to Days, none of my friends knew. From what I remember, they didn't do much to hype up her return to her Passions castmates so how will the fans from Passions know to watch Days? LH did do a couple of magazine articles but who reads print anymore? it's all about the web and tv.

Now we have twitter which helps alot but back 3-4 years ago, twitter either didn't exist or wasn't as big as it is now.
True, I only found out because I was off from work one day randomly and was flipping channels. Just so happened Lindsay was on standing on the pier. Took me abt 30 seconds to realize I was watching Days, lol. I thought at first NBC had resserected Passions! :P

Vetting4fun

LanaluvsBroe
Mar 31 2012, 09:06 AM
PhoenixRising05
Mar 30 2012, 06:14 PM
jane1978
Mar 30 2012, 04:15 PM
PhoenixRising05
Mar 30 2012, 03:19 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
But if everything was great and NBC happy with the numbers why Corday fired Higley last year? She had the same ratings and much less expensive cast. And Corday loved her. She couldnīt have a bigger supporter. You donīt start huge campaign like for the reset and completely remodel the show to ultimately pay more for the same.

Does it means the show will be canceled? Of course not. And I agree NBC is in a terrible state and they have to use different standards of success than the other networks. But if Corday has absolutely nothing to offer the negotiation will be pretty brutal. Can the show really survive another round of budget cuts? Another mass firings? Another round of paycuts and staff reductions? Even now weīve already reached a point where Nadia refused to return simply because the offer was too small. And she wasnīt first.

If you remember Corday's interviews, he spent more time talking about how HE felt about the show than how the fans felt. He kept saying the show was took dark and unrecognizable in terms of where the focus was. Corday never gets rid of head writers based on fan dissent or ratings. If he did, he wouldn't wait as long as he does. Head writers only tend to go when he's sick of them unless he's forced to make a move like he was with JER in 2003. Look at Langan. They had a falling out and he was gone. He should've been axed before that but it wasn't until Corday got fed up that he was. The ratings were up with B&C in 2002 but he axed them despite that. He cited budget reasons but it's been said over the years that he didn't like them because they wouldn't write what he wanted them to. SSM was the same thing. The numbers were declining long before she was axed. Corday lets writers go when he wants to, not when it's right to. So, I don't think Higley's ouster has as much to do with panicking over the numbers than it does Corday was just sick of her. The fact he admitted it was in the works for months IMO proves that because Days' numbers weren't that bad around the time it seemed he began to think about getting rid of her.
And that is part of the problem. Corday needs to stop dictating to the writers because what the fans want to see and what Corday wants to see are two very different things. Corday has had an obsession with GG and SC for years and despite the fact that their characters are hated, we're still having them shoved down our throats. Matt has never been one of Corday's favorite people which explains why Jack's on the backburner. The writers are forced to write for the characters that Corday wants and that is doing far more harm than good. This shows needs new writers and for Corday to stay the hell out of the writers' room.
Sorry to not know everyone's initials, but who is GG and SC?
I find initials the hardest part of this site.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Vetting4fun
Apr 10 2012, 10:38 AM
LanaluvsBroe
Mar 31 2012, 09:06 AM
PhoenixRising05
Mar 30 2012, 06:14 PM
jane1978
Mar 30 2012, 04:15 PM

If you remember Corday's interviews, he spent more time talking about how HE felt about the show than how the fans felt. He kept saying the show was took dark and unrecognizable in terms of where the focus was. Corday never gets rid of head writers based on fan dissent or ratings. If he did, he wouldn't wait as long as he does. Head writers only tend to go when he's sick of them unless he's forced to make a move like he was with JER in 2003. Look at Langan. They had a falling out and he was gone. He should've been axed before that but it wasn't until Corday got fed up that he was. The ratings were up with B&C in 2002 but he axed them despite that. He cited budget reasons but it's been said over the years that he didn't like them because they wouldn't write what he wanted them to. SSM was the same thing. The numbers were declining long before she was axed. Corday lets writers go when he wants to, not when it's right to. So, I don't think Higley's ouster has as much to do with panicking over the numbers than it does Corday was just sick of her. The fact he admitted it was in the works for months IMO proves that because Days' numbers weren't that bad around the time it seemed he began to think about getting rid of her.
And that is part of the problem. Corday needs to stop dictating to the writers because what the fans want to see and what Corday wants to see are two very different things. Corday has had an obsession with GG and SC for years and despite the fact that their characters are hated, we're still having them shoved down our throats. Matt has never been one of Corday's favorite people which explains why Jack's on the backburner. The writers are forced to write for the characters that Corday wants and that is doing far more harm than good. This shows needs new writers and for Corday to stay the hell out of the writers' room.
Sorry to not know everyone's initials, but who is GG and SC?
I find initials the hardest part of this site.
GG = Galen Gering (Rafe)
SC = Shawn Christian (Daniel)

Nick_Brooke

I donīt think itīs fair to blame MarDar for the mess that is DAYS. DH and co. trashed this show. Itīs almost impossible for the next writers to undo the damage. Alone, bringing back some of the characters back to who they used to be, will take forever.

MarDar made some mistakes. The pace was off, the SL was moving too slowly. The lost momentum as far as the Mayor SL, Aliceīs secret and Brady and Madison are just awful.

And now Korday hired back the same ppl who helped trash the show in the first place, doesnīt seem fair at all.

chrisannabanana

blueskies
Apr 10 2012, 09:53 AM
chrisannabanana
Apr 8 2012, 07:58 PM
blueskies
darraholic

True, I only found out because I was off from work one day randomly and was flipping channels. Just so happened Lindsay was on standing on the pier. Took me abt 30 seconds to realize I was watching Days, lol. I thought at first NBC had resserected Passions! :P
Exactly... actually that was how I found out that Eric Martsolf had been hired at Days by just randomly flipping through the channels. I had nooooo idea! Lisa Rinna OTH did a great job doing promo for her reprisal of Billie. I've seen a lot of interviews with her on the web and tv which they totally missed with Lindsay Hartley. I can't speak of the others like Crystal who does have a huge fanbase.

Nick_Brooke

I still say that Corday and co. are the problem.

Jarliana

Yah, I could see why the bad ratings. Having Sami and Rafe take over the show. Those two are on every single day. It can't be blamed on Ejole because they are hardly on; separate or together.
Edited by Jarliana, Apr 12 2012, 12:09 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply