Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: Renee Jones quits Days!
Topic Started: Apr 2 2012, 08:44 AM (12,226 Views)
Ellie

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Renee-Jones-Quits-Days-of-Our-Lives-1045529.aspx

Exclusive: Renee Jones Quits Days of Our Lives

Michael Logan
Apr 2, 2012 09:29 AM ET

She wants her life back. According to the statisticians, Renee Jones has set a broadcasting record as Lexie Carver on Days of Our Lives, the longest-running African-American female character on television. But the luminous beauty is abandoning her role to give retirement a try. TV Guide Magazine spoke with Jones, who will exit the NBC soap in June, and we got the exclusive scoop on her reasons for quitting, her future plans and spoiler alert! how Days will say goodbye to her beloved character.

TV Guide Magazine: Actresses don't quit show biz. Show biz quits them!
Jones: Like they say, life is not a dress rehearsal! I am so excited about this decision. It's been on my mind for over a year. I am so grateful to Days for 20 years of steady employment it's been a fantastic opportunity but I finally had to stop and ask myself, "What really makes me happy? What really brings me joy in life?" And it's not acting. I just don't want to do this anymore. I was raised on a farm in Georgia and I want to get back to that silence, that solitude. I want to spend all day enjoying nature, experiencing God. Every so often production at Days will go dark for a couple of weeks and I feel relived. I feel free. I'm like, "Wow, there's a whole other world out there!" Acting now feels like a chore and I need a break maybe for a good long time, maybe forever.

TV Guide Magazine: You've always been a very private actress, rarely granting interviews, never playing the Hollywood game. Are you pulling a Garbo? Do you want to be left alone?
Jones: You know what I want? A good solid year maybe two to do absolutely nothing. No plans, no commitments, no stress, no pressure. I want to hike, read books, take yoga classes. And then I'll think about what I want to do with my life. I would love to do charity work, especially something where I'm working with sick babies, holding them, just giving them love, helping them heal. That would be a dream. If something really, really great comes along acting-wise, maybe I would consider it. But I don't think so. I've been saving my money like crazy since the day I started at Days, so I'm okay in that respect.

TV Guide Magazine: You're an actress with no need of attention? How the heck did that happen?
Jones: My ego isn't involved in my career. Never has been. I have never desired fame. I just wanted to be the best actor I could be and I feel I've done that with Lexie, which is why I can walk away with pride. Maybe I feel this way because I got into the business through the back door. I was a receptionist working in a radiology lab when I was quote "discovered" and got into modeling. And that turned into an acting career. For me, it's always been about the work only, and now it's at the point where I'm not even enjoying the work anymore because it's such a strain on my brain and psyche. It's too much pressure and too much drama! There is enough pain and stress with the normal things that happen in the circle of life, I don't need to recreate that on camera. Lexie's been everything from a cop to a doctor to the mayor's wife, the First Lady of Salem. She's been a kidnapper. She's been in an insane asylum. She's had three affairs on her husband Abe with his brother, his friend and his son. [Laughs] I don't think there's anything left do with Lexie but let her die!

TV Guide Magazine: She recently started having mysterious headaches. Cue the organ music! Are they giving her a brain tumor?
Jones: Inoperable! When I broke it to [the Days execs] about my decision to leave it was very harmonious. I said, "Guys, it's been amazing and I appreciate all that Days has done for me, but I am ready to go." They were very understanding and really wanted to honor my character with a great exit story and asked if I would be opposed to having her die. I said, "Not at all. But I don't want to be in a coffin." And I had one other stipulation. I didn't want a horrible cancer death. I was worried about my mother because my sister died of cancer a few years ago and my mom watches the show religiously and I didn't want her to have to watch that. So they came up with the idea of a brain tumor. There will be lots of crying, lots of goodbyes but it will be very beautiful. The writers have done a fabulous job.

TV Guide Magazine: Yeah, but is this death for reals? After all, this is Days and mad man Stefano is Lexie's dad. How do we know he won't steal her body and send it off to some crazy-ass scientist who specializes in reanimation?
Jones: [Laughs] That's what I said [to the execs]! How will we know Lexie's really gone? Practically everyone in Salem has come back from the dead! They said, "We will do something that guarantees it." And they did. I can't tell you what it is, but it is definitely the end for Lexie.

TV Guide Magazine: So no fears? No regrets?
Jones: None! People are already asking, "Aren't you gonna get bored? What will you do with all that time?" [Laughs] I so want to know what it's like to get bored! Some people are outraged. "You're too young to retire!" Hey, it's not like I'm guaranteed to live to be 100, you know? It could all end next year, next month, next week. I don't want to be all pissed on my deathbed thinking, "Why didn't I leave sooner?" My boyfriend has a favorite saying from The Shawshank Redemption "You either get busy living, or get busy dying." And that's my new mantra!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

Oh my God!!!!!!! I am shocked. Although i can't blame her, she is leaving at just the right time!

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

WOW, so I guess we now know its a funeral scene in that tout. She sounds happy from that interview. I wonder if they'll phase out Abe and Theo too?

TFP

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

I will definitely miss her :( I wish Renee all of the best. She is one of the most gorgeous women to have ever been on Days. TFP Ellie.
Edited by Fafokahw, Apr 2 2012, 08:51 AM.

Wilson_EJami
Member Avatar

I will miss her. But I respect her decision, if she feels it's time to leave, she should. Lexie will always be part of Days. And wish her good luck with whatever she do in life.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Wow! I'm shocked and saddened to see her go, especially since she was finally being written for and the character was becoming somewhat revitalized. I wish her nothing but the best!! She will be terribly missed.

And I doubt Abe will go anywhere. He survived before Lexie and can survive after her. I can't see DAYS displacing such a long-running African American actor, especially after losing one of the longest running females.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

So sad. Abe is a goner unless they move Celeste into his orbit with Lexie's death. I'm pretty shocked this hasn't been let out of the bag until now. I love the character of Lexie and this is the most we have seen her in YEARS. I'm glad we're getting a final death though and not something hanging over our heads forever. So if they do decide to keep Abe around he can move on eventually. I knew James Reynolds was the longest running African-American actor, but had no idea about Renee Jones. That's crazy to think because she still looks so young.

I can't wait to see Lexie's goodbye tour. I think those scenes could be amazing.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

HOLY SHIT! So Lexie IS DYING....

Vicky4Mimi
Member Avatar

Oh, this made me sadder than I would have expected. I wish her well and I hope she enjoys every minute of her life!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I am happy for Renee that this is her choice and she seems excited about her retirement. I will miss Lexie and I do hope they do her story justice. I wish Renee the best of luck.
Edited by dc cubs, Apr 2 2012, 10:29 AM.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I actually got a little teary eyed reading about how she's going to die and the story about her sister and mother. I think this will be really good because it seems Renee had at least a little input in her exit story. Gonna be a little weird when Stefano has held almost all of Salem captive while Lexie is on her deathbed. If he doesn't get a last visit with his daughter I will flip out! I hope this doesn't kill Celeste's run, but I'm sure it will be the end of her. Now I'm really disappointed that Tanya Boyd couldn't make it work with DAYS, health or schedule wise.

Deleted User
Deleted User

So this means Lexie will probably die from the brain tumor.

Will definitely miss Renee. Her talent has always been so underused.
Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

I don't think Jim Reynolds is going anywhere. He's one of the cast members with the longest tenure. I don't know if they'd bring on someone new for him or just have him be a Roman bachelor type, but I don't think his job is in danger.

As for Renee - good for her, if she wasn't enjoying herself! Lexie has never been one of my favorites, but I think much of that is because her character has not been consistent at all over the years, which is the fault of the various writing teams disagreeing. If Renee wasn't happy doing Days anymore, then I give her credit for leaving.

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

Sigh :(

Although, I'm happy that she's so excited with her decision. This doesn't surprise me.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ScorpioQueen
Member Avatar

Sorry, but after what happened with Tea on OLTL I will not believe this is real until I see a last airdate.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Maybe they'll keep Celeste on for Abe. She can move in to help take care of Theo?

mbdimera
Member Avatar

I'm really going to miss Lexie, but if Renee can afford to quit working and enjoy her life more, good for her.
Edited by mbdimera, Apr 2 2012, 09:03 AM.

razorbacks78
Member Avatar

I am shocked she is leaving but glad she is leaving by her own decision. She seems to want to enjoy the simple things in life. I wish her the best.

As for Ali's touts, I dont think those have to do with this though, those will air in May

Ellie

Maybe Tek will come to the funeral. :wub:

taylore
Member Avatar

So sad,i'm gonna miss her like crazy

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply