Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Promo for the week of April 9
Topic Started: Apr 6 2012, 07:27 PM (10,868 Views)
Ginger
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Apr 9 2012, 08:24 PM
Ginger
Apr 9 2012, 08:10 PM
A couple of things are being overlooked during this discussion. First is that NBC is responsible for the promo. That's a fact. How sides choose to spin it is perspective. Second, ratings are critical. That's a fact too. NBC is not going to be writing off the ratings for the next few months just because they've replaced a creative team. People can spin that too to suit their perspectives. Just don't overlook that ratings are important, especially in this climate.
How do you know that THIS week was different in terms of decision making than last week? The only ones that seem to be spinning without facts are those saying that NBC has had their Hands in ejamis promo this week when there are no facts to prove that this week was any different than any other week
I didn't say anything about this week being different than any other week. I only said that the network promotes whatever they think will attract the most viewers and that ratings are important every week. That seems pretty straightforward and shouldn't be upsetting to anyone.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Ginger
Apr 9 2012, 10:11 PM
LuvingLumi
Ginger
A couple of things are being overlooked during this discussion. First is that NBC is responsible for the promo. That's a fact. How sides choose to spin it is perspective. Second, ratings are critical. That's a fact too. NBC is not going to be writing off the ratings for the next few months just because they've replaced a creative team. People can spin that too to suit their perspectives. Just don't overlook that ratings are important, especially in this climate.
How do you know that THIS week was different in terms of decision making than last week? The only ones that seem to be spinning without facts are those saying that NBC has had their Hands in ejamis promo this week when there are no facts to prove that this week was any different than any other week
I didn't say anything about this week being different than any other week. I only said that the network promotes whatever they think will attract the most viewers and that ratings are important every week. That seems pretty straightforward and shouldn't be upsetting to anyone.
The discussion started with talk about this week being different. Not in those exact words. LOL. I think the point has gotten lost because different people have been added to the conversation along the way, so now we're all arguing separate points, and I bet a lot more of us agree than we realize.

James&AriFan
Member Avatar

lysie
Apr 9 2012, 10:13 PM
Ginger
Apr 9 2012, 10:11 PM
LuvingLumi
Ginger
The discussion started with talk about this week being different. Not in those exact words. LOL. I think the point has gotten lost because different people have been added to the conversation along the way, so now we're all arguing separate points, and I bet a lot more of us agree than we realize.
I realized that I agree Lysie. :lol:

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

lysie
Apr 9 2012, 10:10 PM
Ginger
Apr 9 2012, 10:05 PM
lysie
Apr 9 2012, 08:22 PM
Ginger
Those things arent being ignored. One is the whole point of the discussion and I just mentioned the other in my last post.

They said they wrote off last summer because they switched creative teams.

Again, why are promos important now and they weren't last week? We've never discussed promos this way. NBC didn't just start being responsible but I don't think that they're pushing an agenda in April. This conversation would make a lot more sense in May and even more sense in July.
Promos are important every week. Their purpose is to generate buzz and attract viewers, hopefully those with Neilson boxes since that is how ratings are determined. Ratings set the revenues the network earns. I doubt the network ever pushes agendas in their promos. They simply feature what they think is going to bring in the most viewers for ratings for profit. This week it's Ejami; next week it could be Wilson, or Skate, or Ejole, or Racole. The subject is really what's someone's guess about what will attract the most viewers.

I think it's a big leap to assume that what might have been true for last summer would be true right now. The network is not going to keep handing out free passes for poor ratings, not with the continued movement away from expensive soap programming to less expensive talk shows. Days needs to have as many viewers as possible every week. The more they have during non-sweeps periods, the greater the likelihood is that they have more viewers during the important sweeps times. The news today about The Today Show extending to a 5th hour in 2014 reminds us just how uncertain things are for Days longevity.

I'm not sure what the whole point of this entire discussion is, other than that some people are unhappy that Ejami being promoted this week might suggest that they are important to the show, while others are happy that their promotion suggests that they are important to the show. I see it as they are important for generating buzz and getting viewers to tune in. That's the same way I see all the promotions NBC does.

I don't care if they use Ejami to promote the show. It won't make me watch (it also won't make me not watch), but I can't remember the last time a promo did make me want to watch. I care that we're having this conversation this week out of nowhere, when we've never had this conversation about a promo like this before. I care that it seems like the story is irrelevant.
What's unique right now is I can't recall a time when the potential pairings on the show have been such a mixed bag. In the past, when couples are featured in promos it's not typically a surprise - we know they are either already paired or the groundwork has been laid to pair them up leading to the promo. These EJami scenes the past week or so seemingly came out of no where. And given that this week pretty much all of the couples (EJami/EJole/Lumi/Racole/Cafe, etc.) are on screen together it's interesting that instead of creating a promo that focuses on more than one couple they went with the seemingly most unlikely of all of them - at least, up to now.

Just my 2 cents worth. :shrug:

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

While I would rather watch Ejami promos on a continuous reel 24 hours a day than to see another Safe or Jope promo, I don't really think that this particular promo means anything other than they are featured in story this week.

I think everything is up in the air at this point (not that we could tell where MarDar was heading anyway). At any rate, I don't think we can say which couple will be the "root for couple" once these stories play out. All we have to go on is Tomsell's (thanks tomsawyer) track record (Safe) which makes me want to wretch all over my computer.

We should just enjoy the couples we like getting the airtime they're currently getting (cause all of them are getting some right now) and worry about July when it gets closer.

James&AriFan
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Apr 9 2012, 10:34 PM
lysie
Ginger
lysie
Apr 9 2012, 08:22 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Promos are important every week. Their purpose is to generate buzz and attract viewers, hopefully those with Neilson boxes since that is how ratings are determined. Ratings set the revenues the network earns. I doubt the network ever pushes agendas in their promos. They simply feature what they think is going to bring in the most viewers for ratings for profit. This week it's Ejami; next week it could be Wilson, or Skate, or Ejole, or Racole. The subject is really what's someone's guess about what will attract the most viewers.

I think it's a big leap to assume that what might have been true for last summer would be true right now. The network is not going to keep handing out free passes for poor ratings, not with the continued movement away from expensive soap programming to less expensive talk shows. Days needs to have as many viewers as possible every week. The more they have during non-sweeps periods, the greater the likelihood is that they have more viewers during the important sweeps times. The news today about The Today Show extending to a 5th hour in 2014 reminds us just how uncertain things are for Days longevity.

I'm not sure what the whole point of this entire discussion is, other than that some people are unhappy that Ejami being promoted this week might suggest that they are important to the show, while others are happy that their promotion suggests that they are important to the show. I see it as they are important for generating buzz and getting viewers to tune in. That's the same way I see all the promotions NBC does.

I don't care if they use Ejami to promote the show. It won't make me watch (it also won't make me not watch), but I can't remember the last time a promo did make me want to watch. I care that we're having this conversation this week out of nowhere, when we've never had this conversation about a promo like this before. I care that it seems like the story is irrelevant.
What's unique right now is I can't recall a time when the potential pairings on the show have been such a mixed bag. In the past, when couples are featured in promos it's not typically a surprise - we know they are either already paired or the groundwork has been laid to pair them up leading to the promo. These EJami scenes the past week or so seemingly came out of no where. And given that this week pretty much all of the couples (EJami/EJole/Lumi/Racole/Cafe, etc.) are on screen together it's interesting that instead of creating a promo that focuses on more than one couple they went with the seemingly most unlikely of all of them - at least, up to now.

you do realize the promo is only seconds long right? LOL

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

James&AriFan
Apr 9 2012, 10:39 PM
SocRMum1
lysie
Ginger

Sure...aren't all promos?

James&AriFan
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Apr 9 2012, 10:42 PM
James&AriFan
SocRMum1
lysie

yes of course but it would kinda be a clusterfuck if they included all those couples in the promo....hey it would fit the show right now. LOL

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

James&AriFan
Apr 9 2012, 10:48 PM
SocRMum1
Apr 9 2012, 10:42 PM
James&AriFan
SocRMum1

yes of course but it would kinda be a clusterfuck if they included all those couples in the promo....hey it would fit the show right now. LOL
They wouldn't need to feature them all in depth individually - but a simple promo showing the impact of Racole's planned deception on all of them - or even snippets of Lucas's convos with EJ and Rafe and mentioning how they're all Sami's exes would work.

MericP
Member Avatar

Such an in depth discussion over a promo. It's why I love the DR. :D

lysie
Member Avatar

MericP
Apr 9 2012, 11:07 PM
Such an in depth discussion over a promo. It's why I love the DR. :D
Come back next week when we pick apart the flashback section of SOD.

Kali
Member Avatar

I think for Ejami fans, the promo is meaningful because it's such a shift! It's a huge change in the way Ejami's being "sold." Ever since Sami shot EJ it's been hate and loathing, but the promo shows that there is hope for our couple with TPTB. That's why we're so happy (and damn it, I don't want to be sucked in again, but here I go!).

Nick_Brooke

I LOVED the promo. EJami all the way!

jenesais

Much ado about nothing.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
Apr 7 2012, 10:15 PM
six
Apr 7 2012, 08:18 PM
JamaicanBeauty7
Apr 7 2012, 11:31 AM
greeneyedgirl
Apr 7 2012, 11:11 AM
Funny how we have Lumi, Ejole, and Ejami scenes next week and yet they chose Ejami for the promo.... another NBC decision. I think so too!!! Cannot wait to see this:)
I noticed that too; very interesting. Regardless, I'm enjoying every second of that promo.
ITA. Who knows what will happen in the future, but the fact that the people still in charge at Days made the choice to put those scenes in the promo could be very telling.
I don't think we're far enough out for it to be telling. I don't think the network's influence will be obvious for another three months. Maybe, maybe, in the May Sweeps promo, but not in a promo for a random week in April that was filmed three months before the writers were fired and written even before that. I mean...they aired three straight promos of Jope. At this point, I don't think there's anything significant about the promos, other than the fact that they're not promoting Will on television but are promoting him everywhere else.
I think the network's influence is obvious every week (seeing as they're choosing what to showcase). NBC doesn't seem to know what they want, so it's hard to say what will change, but I do think this promo kills the theory that MarDar were let go because they put ejami back in each other's orbits. If they thought that was such a ratings killer, they had a whole week's worth of other things (especially Sami centric things, since, for better or worse, Sami and who she's in love with draw a lot of attention) they could have gone with instead.
Edited by six, Apr 10 2012, 03:47 PM.

greeneyedgirl
Member Avatar

Ginger
Ginger.... you hit the nail on the head. Read Greg Meng's interview in tv guide and he says how important the ratings are. NBC would not have selected that promo if they didn't intend to reel people in with it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply