Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
5th Hour of Today?
Topic Started: Apr 6 2012, 11:08 PM (2,531 Views)
Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Matt-Lauer-Today-Deal-1045738.aspx

This article says Matt Lauer is getting his own development deal which may lead to a 5th hour of Today. Could this be DAYS' replacement? NBC has no other hour in daytime to give.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

FIVE HOURS of the Today show??? Really? Their ratings are not what they used to be. GMA is right on their heels.

TFP

Chelsea
Member Avatar

I don't know who would want to watch 5 hours of the Today Show, 1 hour is too much for me. :puke:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I don't see how this means a 5th hour of Today. They gave Lauer a development deal. It could be any show. His show could take over for the 4th hour of Today that features Kathie Lee and Hoda (I don't think that is doing very well). It could be a primetime news show. It could be some sort of special news series that only airs at certain times of year. There is no guarantee any show of his will ever hit the airwaves. Plus, it takes years sometimes to develop a show and perfect it and that is even before it's tested by focus groups and given the green light. Your looking at 2-3 years at least. This doesn't pose any immediate threat, if it even poses a threat IMO.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 6 2012, 11:49 PM.

Tammy
Member Avatar

:fp2:

Deleted User
Deleted User

Who the heck wants to watch 5 hours of News?? As much as I hate the writing for Days I'd hate to see them cancelled for crap like that.
Quote Post Goto Top

miou07
Member Avatar

I agree that there's nothing in this article to indicate Lauer's show would replace Days.
Edited by miou07, Apr 7 2012, 01:14 AM.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Apr 6 2012, 11:30 PM
I don't see how this means a 5th hour of Today. They gave Lauer a development deal. It could be any show. His show could take over for the 4th hour of Today that features Kathie Lee and Hoda (I don't think that is doing very well). It could be a primetime news show. It could be some sort of special news series that only airs at certain times of year. There is no guarantee any show of his will ever hit the airwaves. Plus, it takes years sometimes to develop a show and perfect it and that is even before it's tested by focus groups and given the green light. Your looking at 2-3 years at least. This doesn't pose any immediate threat, if it even poses a threat IMO.
Plus, NBC has to fix what's wrong with Today before they can proceed with expanding it or spinning off Matt Lauer into syndication(the latter seems more likely, given how lucrative syndication is, which is exactly why Katie Couric wanted her show in GH's timeslot, but forced the syndication deal). What's clearly wrong with Today is 1.) Ann Curry 2.) Tabloid Celebrity Gossip 3.) Missing White Girl Stories and 4.) ANN FUCKING CURRY. It will be very interesting to see where Matt Lauer takes this development deal with NBC. If I were him, I would stick with doing a network daytime show, unrelated to the Today brand. There's more investment(from the network) in that kind of deal which means less risk. And then if the show is successful, he can force NBC to spin it off into syndication under their umbrella. Not sure what it means for Days, but it's anyone's guess.

On a slightly unrelated note, I predict GMA is going to expand to three hours in the near future too and it hinges upon whether they can hold steady in their close gap on the Today Show and whether Kelly and her new co-host flop. If they do, ABC will want a solid replacement for its O&Os and that is a third hour of GMA. Nothing additional necessary, everything is in-house, the talent is already hired, etc. If they still have Kelly Ripa locked into a contract, they can have her do special reporting for GMA or even include her in the third hour until it expires. That being said, a third hour of GMA will require the network to take an hour from the daypart(The View, The Chew, GH).

bellcurve
Member Avatar

miou07
Apr 7 2012, 12:35 AM
I agree that there's nothing in this article to indicate Lauer's show would replace Days.
You have to read between the lines: If NBC expands Today to a fifth hour or gives Matt Lauer his own daytime talk show, the network has to pull the hour from somewhere on the network. The only network programs that air on NBC in the daytime are Today(hours 1, 2, 3, 4) and DAYS. Now it very well may be possible that Matt's show will replace Kathie Lee and Hoda, but as much of a trainwreck as they are, their show is still profitable for NBC.

No need for anyone to panic immediately, but Eric posted the report and gave his thoughts because it's a likely scenario.

tmjohn72
Member Avatar

Days is the only show I watch on NBC so it would just mean that their ratings would tank. But I think they want to save money by producing something cheaper so who knows.

trojangal
Member Avatar

I heard the Today show wasn't renewing Ann Curry's contract , anyone hear that?
Also in my area which is one of the top 4 tv markets in the US Kelly's show hasn't been on ABC
for years. We used to get Oprah in that time slot & now we ge a local news/talk show.
Kelly's show is on WHN here at 9
Edited by trojangal, Apr 8 2012, 09:01 PM.

Ellie

Today ends at 11. A 5th hour would take it to 12 pm, which has nothing to do with Days.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Apr 8 2012, 09:46 PM
Today ends at 11. A 5th hour would take it to 12 pm, which has nothing to do with Days.
Yes but if that hour goes to a 5th hour of Today or a Matt Lauer show, something has to be moved. NBC only had one more hour left in daytime that they have not given up to the affiliates. If they commit to a 5th hour of Today or give Matt Lauer some sort of show during the daytime, the only hour they have available is the one Days fills. They need to give an hour back to the affiliates if they take one to give to Today or a separate Matt Lauer show.

I don't think it's a threat anyway as the Today show currently has issues it needs to rectify before it can think about another hour. Not to mention, my feeling is IF they wanted to they may get rid of Kathie Lee and Hoda, who host the 4th hour, and let Matt Lauer have his own show in that slot before they think about expanding to a 5th hour. I mean, 5 hours is alot for one show. I just can't see that happening. This is awhile down the road. As I said, the show and format (whatever it is) needs to be developed and tested and that alone could take 2-3 years. Also, my feeling is Matt Lauer may want to branch out to maybe some sort of primetime show. Maybe some sort of special every few months or maybe something like NBC tried with Rock Center. I think Lauer wants bigger things and more exposure and he won't get that in daytime.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Apr 8 2012, 09:54 PM
Ellie
Yes but if that hour goes to a 5th hour of Today or a Matt Lauer show, something has to be moved. NBC only had one more hour left in daytime that they have not given up to the affiliates. If they commit to a 5th hour of Today or give Matt Lauer some sort of show during the daytime, the only hour they have available is the one Days fills. They need to give an hour back to the affiliates if they take one to give to Today or a separate Matt Lauer show.
That's not necessarily true - they wouldn't "need" to, that's just how it would work to keep it even with how it is now. At any rate, my guess is that this will be a non-issue all around.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Apr 8 2012, 10:11 PM
PhoenixRising05
Apr 8 2012, 09:54 PM
Ellie
That's not necessarily true - they wouldn't "need" to, that's just how it would work to keep it even with how it is now. At any rate, my guess is that this will be a non-issue all around.
Yeah, they would need to because the affiliates would get upset. That is why Passions had to go. The 4th hour of Today didn't directly replace it but because that 4th hour in the morning was taken by NBC so they could have the 4th hour of Today, they had to give back an hour to affiliates to be able to do that without issues from them. So, Passions' time slot was what they gave the affiliates to do with as they wish. You can't upset the affiliates so these are things that have to happen if, as a network, you want to air something nationally. You have to appease them to be able to air what you want in the time slot you want it in.

But, yeah, the only way it becomes a serious issue IMO is if we hear rumors of other potential shows in development, kind of like what is going on at ABC. If that happens and some of the shows test well, then Days is in trouble. I think NBC and CBS would be more careful though given what is happening with ABC and how they handled things. Both networks would need to feel they had slam dunk replacements to be able to go ahead with getting rid of their remaining soaps, although CBS has been successful replacing ATWT and GL with game shows so maybe they wouldn't be so hesitant depending on how confident they felt.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 8 2012, 10:49 PM.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I do think there will be more hesitation now on cancelling the last remaining 4 soaps, as in danger as GH and DAYS are.

CBS is probably pretty happy with their dramas so I don't feel they are as in danger anytime soon. I'd even argue if they wanted to cancel a soap, drop Y&R to a half hour and eliminate a LOT of their dead weight. They have SO much dead weight.

reagon

I think we have to remember there is no sentiment in TV in terms of the folks who run the networks its money. While the Today show has its issues, its still according to Advertising Age the most profitable show on Television that includes daytime, nightime, cable, etc. CBS has no affection to their daytime shows. Les Moonves may talk a better game but he is also the one who said after cancelling GL and ATWT that the days of client owned daytime dramas is over. CBS has also increased profits of their daytime division since dropping those 2 soaps. Y&R and B&B will remain as long as they make money and can be shown to help increase profits. Unfortunately in this day and age with the audiences for daytime dramas eroding, the only way to increase profits is through cost cutting which ultimately impacts the quality of the product produced. B&B tends to maintain their production values I assume because they dont have a huge contract cast(many are recurring), they use the Bells properties for a lot of their shoots, and they have a huge international presence. Its sad but its just a fact that the audience is daytime has eroded and will continue to. I would not be surprised to see network daytime TV end up like a CNN or MSNBC with news and talkshows all day.

As for GH, ABC will likely keep it for a time to minimize damage to Katie Courics show. And even with that once her show gains footing if it does, GH will be gone. We already pretty much know they have no commitment to daytime dramas and nothing thats happened since the writing change and production change has convinced me otherwise.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Maybe they should pull Days into a 5th hour of the Today show as a feature. It's not like the show produces a lot of content, and the scenes are short enough. Hack the cast down, keep the brand name, build it in. Incorporate a little of the People Talking About Things genre that's all over daytime right now with Days as the topic of conversation.

Keep the Days name safe for a bit until maybe it can be expanded on the interwebz or in more traditional media.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

Star Jones was guesting on the Wendy Williams show during the last sweeps, and she hinted that the segment - known as The Professionals - that she co-hosts on the Today show might be getting its own show. Seems this story somewhat corroborates that info.

tiki_girl
Member Avatar

Where I live there is zero daytime programming on NBC except for Today and Days. From 10am-1:00pm there's nothing but infomercials. I think they even stopped airing live local news too. Maybe Lauer would replace that godawful "The Doctors" or the equally unwatchable "Anderson" show.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply