Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
REVOLUTION CANCELED, GH RENEWED!
Topic Started: Apr 11 2012, 04:41 PM (3,581 Views)
Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

http://m.deadline.com/2012/04/abc-the-revolution-cancelled-general-hospital-renewed-gma-afternoon/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

Soap fans can officially rejoice.

DEADLINE is reporting that ABC has canceled THE REVOLUTION from the Daytime lineup, and keeps GENERAL HOSPITAL on the air.

The show will continue to see its own 50th Anniversary, which is April 2013.

Great news for all soap fans involved.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/abc-the-revolution-cancelled-general-hospital-renewed-gma-afternoon/

Kenny
Member Avatar

ABC Keeps ‘General Hospital’ On, Cancels ‘The Revolution’, Adds ‘GMA’ Afternoon Show For Summer

Soap fans can rejoice — I’ve learned that ABC will keep its only remaining daytime drama General Hospital on the air while canceling freshman talk show The Revolution. The news ends months of speculation about what will happen to the venerable soap whose long-time 3 PM slot will be taken over by Katie Couric’s new syndicated talk show in the fall. With Katie joining ABC’s daytime lineup, General Hospital and new lifestyle series The Chew and The Revolution, which replaced canceled soaps All My Children and One Life To Live, have been competing for two slots, with Disney-ABC TV Group president Anne Sweeney stating early on that the two stronger performers will make the cut. Revolution, which currently occupies the 2 PM time period that will lead to Katie in most markets, never found its legs ratings-wise and will end its run at the beginning of July. For the following nine weeks, starting on July 9 until Katie premieres on Sept. 10, ABC will air a special Good Morning America-branded hourlong show alongside GH and The Chew. Details about new new program, tentatively titled GMA In The Afternoon, are still being finalized, but it is expected to be generally broader and lighter than the regular GMA unless there is a breaking story, which the afternoon show will jump on. The expansion of the GMA franchise comes as the morning program has been on a ratings roll, dramatically narrowing the gap with long-time ratings leader Today. GMA In The Afternoon is expected to feature personalities from the morning show and will also likely be used as a platform to break new talent. The reshuffling of ABC’s daytime deck, including the decision to stick with GH, represents the first major move by EVP Vicki Dummer, who took over ABC Daytime following the December departure of Brian Frons, the man responsible for the cancellations of AMC and OLTL.

With The Revolution hitting a string of lows over the last few weeks and drawing a little more than half of the audience of GH and The Chew, it is understandable why ABC opted to keep GH, which is down year-to-year but still higher-rated than both The Chew and The Revolution, instead of angering fans by killing another beloved soap for a show that hasn’t proven itself. The renewal comes on the heels of GH drawing 2.26 million viewers for the week of March 26, a up a tenth from the previous week. The Chew (2.21 million) was up 8%, while The Revolution (1.33 million) remained low, in line with its series-low viewership for the previous two weeks (1.33 million, 1.32 million). What’s more, while The Chew‘s ratings have been largely on par with those of the soap it replaced, AMC, at a fraction of the production cost, The Revolution (average of 1.5 million viewers to date, 337,000 of them in the women 18-49 demographic) is down 44% in total viewers and 51% in W18-49 from OLTL‘s deliveries. Among the the three, GH is the highest rated in women 18-49 by a wide margin (most recently a 0.9/6 for the week of March 26 vs. 0.6/4 The Chew and 0.4/3 for The Revolution), so, while I hear ABC is not ready to lock in its daytime schedule for next season yet, it would make sense to keep The Chew at 1 PM and put GH at 2 PM as a lead-in for Katie on the ABC stations, the core station group that will carry Couric’s new syndicated talker.

The renewal ensures that GH, which marked 49 years on the air on April 1, will celebrate its 50th anniversary next April. It is the longest-running U.S. soap opera currently in production. Created by husband-and-wife soap writers Frank and Doris Hursley, GH also holds the record for most Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Drama Series: 10.

Source: Deadline.com

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

OUTSTANDING NEWS!!

Alin89
Member Avatar

this is good news

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I hope this is a lesson WELL LEARNED not just by ABC, but also by NBC/CBS on what their future is with their daytime lineups.

Thomson
Member Avatar

Awesome. I'm checking into General Hospital again !

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

GREAT NEWS!!

Burn in hell REVOLUTION!

CynthiaHaskins1

I for one am so happy that general hospital is going to stay on the air and wont be cancelled.you are not the only i am going to start watching general hospital again.
Edited by CynthiaHaskins1, Apr 11 2012, 04:49 PM.

Thomson
Member Avatar

LMAO, that show was one pathetic mess.

littlebit

I am new to this site and what a day to join!! GREAT NEWS!!! So glad to hear that GH is staying and the Revolution is going!! So glad ABC realized this, maybe they should think about bringing One Life To Live back to!!! We even watch GH at night time on soap net. It is just about the best program on TV right now!! YEAH!!!

am103
Member Avatar

So OLTL was basically cancelled for nothing.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Apr 11 2012, 04:45 PM
I hope this is a lesson WELL LEARNED not just by ABC, but also by NBC/CBS on what their future is with their daytime lineups.
The lesson they've most likely learned is not to rush and launch a new product before you've ironed out many of the kinks. I have no doubt that when they come up with a replacement program that they're really satisfied with, GH will once again be on the chopping block. As matter of fact, I believe that new hour of GMA is really them testing the waters and ratings for GH's future replacement.
Edited by badaddiction, Apr 11 2012, 05:07 PM.

Checkers
Member Avatar

Good news for GH.

Checkers
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Now GH needs to get their stuff together. Because it will more than likely be on the chopping block next year.

Tammy
Member Avatar

They could have just made OLTL a half hour show instead of cancelling it!

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar
It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

LMAO! Awesome news! :cheers:

six
Member Avatar

Good. :flipoff:

I wish this meant they'd bring OLTL back.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Poor OLTL! :(

six
Member Avatar

Great news. GH has been good recently and it's going to be nice to enjoy the show without counting down the days until the end in the back of my mind for awhile.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply