Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for April 2-6, 2012; Horrible week for soaps especially Days and Y&R
Topic Started: Apr 13 2012, 05:57 PM (4,960 Views)
happy
Member Avatar

I'm also a lapsed GH viewer. The Franco mess drive me away. Complete apathy took over. Came back for Robin's death. Writing for that was shitty, but Patrick and Anna's grief was much watch tv.

And then I stopped watching again. The daily cliffhangers and plot, plot, plot was exhausting. The best soaps have to find a balance between plot drama and character development. I just don't care enough about the GH characters anymore to tune. It's the same conversations year after year. Nobody changes and grows. Sonny is still a murderous mobster with a glittery dick. His wives and children will forgive and protect him, even if he shoots them! And Jason is still stoic and tragic - when not annoyed by Carly and Spinelli. But no matter how "tragic" his eyes may look, he won't leave the mob and stop killing people. Who am I supposed to root for in that show? Luke's an asshole. I don't find him charming AT ALL. I wish he would go on a permanent vacation and Anna could hook up with Mac.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

That's what happen when only the chosen few have stories and their stories suck.

LPS
Member Avatar

Holy f#ck! has YR ever been below 4 million? That's awful.

samixxx
Member Avatar

thanks
Edited by samixxx, Apr 14 2012, 12:41 AM.

Checkers
Member Avatar

LPS
Apr 13 2012, 11:35 PM
Holy f#ck! has YR ever been below 4 million? That's awful.
MAB has completely screwed Y&R over. It's her writing and storytelling that has led Y&R to this point.

lastDays
Member Avatar

Well it s apparent Days will be the next soap to get canceled.I don't see this show making it past January or February 2013. Its a shame,too.Corday has badly managed this show.From Dena,to the most recent writing team changes and all the cast moves of the ast couple of years

lovinsafe
Member Avatar

They have to get the GA back; they are the ones that will put this show back on the map. The fanbases think they have the power but the donít because there are not enough of them. Rafe & Sami, Ej & Sami and Lucas & Sami fans arenít going to keep DAYS on the air, but instead of watching and enjoying a fictional show they would rather bitch about it constantly and wonder why the show is gone. It takes a combination of factors to have a great show, good actors, good writers, and great fans to accept the show!

The fanbases all are acting like a bunch of babies, pouting in the corner, sucking their thumbs, stomping their feet, and screaming because they arenít getting their way. PLEASE people grow up, and enjoy the show and if you are that dissatisfied with the show then stop watching and yes I include myself in on this! You have NO idea what the new writers are going to do, so give it a chance you might like it, and if not then bitch! You might surprise yourself! :frustration:

I want DAYS to stay on the air, so I'm willing to see what the future brings!

reagon

Del
Edited by reagon, Apr 14 2012, 10:23 AM.

reagon

lovinsafe
Apr 14 2012, 09:17 AM
They have to get the GA back; they are the ones that will put this show back on the map. The fanbases think they have the power but the donít because there are not enough of them. Rafe & Sami, Ej & Sami and Lucas & Sami fans arenít going to keep DAYS on the air, but instead of watching and enjoying a fictional show they would rather bitch about it constantly and wonder why the show is gone. It takes a combination of factors to have a great show, good actors, good writers, and great fans to accept the show!

The fanbases all are acting like a bunch of babies, pouting in the corner, sucking their thumbs, stomping their feet, and screaming because they arenít getting their way. PLEASE people grow up, and enjoy the show and if you are that dissatisfied with the show then stop watching and yes I include myself in on this! You have NO idea what the new writers are going to do, so give it a chance you might like it, and if not then bitch! You might surprise yourself! :frustration:

It's not just couple fan bases though. Someone nťeds to be hired who has a vision on where to take the show. Clearly bringing back the oldies didn't work. Do I think it's fair firing actors no but that happened when they had the prior writing changes too. As much as I like Matt Ashford and think he can be utilized better, I don't want him around just to be around because he's a vet. He should only be around if the current writers have a vision of how to use him as more than the other half of Jennifer and have a viable place for him on canvas. Same as Missy. I don't see how Y&R hiring old soap vets or GH bringing on OLTL vets has helped. The show needs to decide what the canvas needs to look like in terms of a mixture of all age groups and cast accordingly and not just because EJ or Sami are allegedly the most popular.

I'll give B&B credit. They've kind of accidentally fallen into a successful younger cast and are capitalizing on it and are using their vets to complement those stories. Yeah the hope sex stuff got out of hand but at least they seem to have a plan which is more than Days, Y&R, or GH seems to have.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

reagon
Apr 14 2012, 10:22 AM
lovinsafe

It's not just couple fan bases though. Someone nťeds to be hired who has a vision on where to take the show. Clearly bringing back the oldies didn't work. Do I think it's fair firing actors no but that happened when they had the prior writing changes too. As much as I like Matt Ashford and think he can be utilized better, I don't want him around just to be around because he's a vet. He should only be around if the current writers have a vision of how to use him as more than the other half of Jennifer and have a viable place for him on canvas. Same as Missy. I don't see how Y&R hiring old soap vets or GH bringing on OLTL vets has helped. The show needs to decide what the canvas needs to look like in terms of a mixture of all age groups and cast accordingly and not just because EJ or Sami are allegedly the most popular.

I'll give B&B credit. They've kind of accidentally fallen into a successful younger cast and are capitalizing on it and are using their vets to complement those stories. Yeah the hope sex stuff got out of hand but at least they seem to have a plan which is more than Days, Y&R, or GH seems to have.
I completely agree. I love the vets and there's a need for them-- however-- you HAVE to have some new blood in there too. Remember when the Brady's came aboard? People HATED them-- wanted them out-- and now they are some of our very best vets. The list goes on with new blood coming in and doing well and having some staying power.

For me, the biggest issue I see is the filming schedule. Days is taping for AUGUST-- AUGUST!! If you gauge that a storyline isn't working, it's going to take MONTHS to turn it around. People will stop watching within this time and the ratings will continue its free fall. Until this is taken care of, to me, it doesn't matter who you get as Head Writer, when you are THAT far ahead in taping, something is bound to not hit and if something doesn't hit with the audience, there's an issue. We're seeing that right now.

Aldo
Member Avatar

talbab1994
Apr 14 2012, 11:46 AM
reagon
lovinsafe

I completely agree. I love the vets and there's a need for them-- however-- you HAVE to have some new blood in there too. Remember when the Brady's came aboard? People HATED them-- wanted them out-- and now they are some of our very best vets. The list goes on with new blood coming in and doing well and having some staying power.

For me, the biggest issue I see is the filming schedule. Days is taping for AUGUST-- AUGUST!! If you gauge that a storyline isn't working, it's going to take MONTHS to turn it around. People will stop watching within this time and the ratings will continue its free fall. Until this is taken care of, to me, it doesn't matter who you get as Head Writer, when you are THAT far ahead in taping, something is bound to not hit and if something doesn't hit with the audience, there's an issue. We're seeing that right now.
They are filming August or they still have MarDar scripts to film up until August?

badaddiction
Member Avatar

What they're filming now won't air until August. They could be improving on MarDar's storylines or completely ending them and sending the characters in new directions. I don't think there's any way to tell until the TPTB give interviews. Until then, it's all guess work on the audience's part.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Aldo
Apr 14 2012, 11:49 AM
talbab1994
Apr 14 2012, 11:46 AM
reagon
lovinsafe

They are filming August or they still have MarDar scripts to film up until August?
TV Guide Magazine: When will the new material begin to air?
Meng: Probably mid-August. We're that far ahead. But we have some really big stuff coming up in the next few months, especially prior to the Olympics. We're off the air two weeks during the Games but the week leading up to that is huge and it ends in a great cliffhanger. Then there are a lot of surprises the Monday we come back. You won't want to miss those episodes.

To me, this is one of the biggest issues of this show-- so what this means is that we have to endure these current storylines that, for the most part, aren't working, at all! Until this is down to about 6 weeks or even 8 weeks in advance, you will continue to have a free fall in ratings. JMHO.

Just another thought too-- how many times have we heard that there's "big stuff" and "surprises" only to watch it and say ARE YOU SERIOUS? THIS WAS THE BIG THING? Maybe it's just me, but I've done with more times than I can count with this show. It started with the reboot and has continued.
Edited by talbab1994, Apr 14 2012, 11:58 AM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

TWO WORDS:

Totally DESERVED!

DrakeDBEST
Member Avatar
Drake Hogestyn fan FOREVER and for ALWAYS!

Yeah, DAYS' ratings aren't great but Friday's ratings give me hope because USUALLY Friday is the lowest rated day of the week. IMO the fact it matches Thursday is positive. Also, several storylines wrapped this week. On Friday we saw John and Hope able to FIGHT the control Stefano had of them and go from being The Pawn and Princess Gina to John and Hope so that might've helped the ratings for that day.

I think they'll be up for last week.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

Eeeekkkk is all I have to say.

Holy crap Y&R. It wasn't that long ago the show was pulling over 5 million viewers a week. I realize the Bells won't fire MAB for obvious reasons but can Sony have her fired?? I mean they must be losing money big time with drops like that. Maybe she can retain her EP position but she needs to go as head writer.....RIGHT NOW!

Days....Days....Days! Were there any preemptions that week in big markets? I remember reading about a few of those recently but can't remember when.

This is why we need the writer change. People are not watching the show live which sadly what's going to determine whether the show is renenwed next year or not.
Hope things can change for Days quick cause, recent mistakes aside, I am not ready to say goodbye to it yet.

reagon

Days and GHs biggest issues are demos. Even last year as the HH numbers dropped for Days they maintained their demos as they were barring a week here or there. That's not happening now and clearly demos that were always GH's greatest attribute have collapsed. B&B has gained there which is likely due to the interest in some of the younger characters vs SSDD and they seem to be trying to appeal more to the youth demo with the new cast additions , another 20ish triangle, and Crystal Chappell coming on as a gay character.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

These are the worst ratings I think I have ever seen for Days- worse than Higley and company, and we have three more months of this Mardar garbage already in the can? Sounds disastrous for Days to me. As someone already mentioned, they need to stop the bleeding, NOW. Waiting til August is a lousy idea. With summer and the Olympic break coming, these ratings are going to continue to slide.

There may be nothing left by the time these new writers are actually showing their material. Days has lost so many viewers now with false promises and fanbase wars promoted by TPTB, that it will be, IMO, extremely difficult to bring viewers back to the show.

Vicky4Mimi

magicsteacher
Apr 14 2012, 02:37 PM
These are the worst ratings I think I have ever seen for Days- worse than Higley and company, and we have three more months of this Mardar garbage already in the can? Sounds disastrous for Days to me. As someone already mentioned, they need to stop the bleeding, NOW. Waiting til August is a lousy idea. With summer and the Olympic break coming, these ratings are going to continue to slide.

There may be nothing left by the time these new writers are actually showing their material. Days has lost so many viewers now with false promises and fanbase wars promoted by TPTB, that it will be, IMO, extremely difficult to bring viewers back to the show.
If they don't come up with something good before the Olympics to look forward to, no one will come back. They better be fixing it now.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Considering NBCs top prime time A18-49 demo for scripted TV was a 2.2 this week for The Office, I suspect DAYS isn't their top concern right now

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply