Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for April 2-6, 2012; Horrible week for soaps especially Days and Y&R
Topic Started: Apr 13 2012, 05:57 PM (4,984 Views)
Graham
Member Avatar

LMAO at Y&R under 4 million! Never thought I'd see the day.
Edited by Graham, Apr 14 2012, 07:09 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Graham
Member Avatar

Oh and mark my words: GH is going to hit an 0.7 in demos before the summer is done. Those are GL numbers. Not even sad for them. That's what you get when you refuse to change anything.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

lovinsafe
Apr 14 2012, 09:17 AM
They have to get the GA back; they are the ones that will put this show back on the map. The fanbases think they have the power but the donít because there are not enough of them. Rafe & Sami, Ej & Sami and Lucas & Sami fans arenít going to keep DAYS on the air, but instead of watching and enjoying a fictional show they would rather bitch about it constantly and wonder why the show is gone. It takes a combination of factors to have a great show, good actors, good writers, and great fans to accept the show!

The fanbases all are acting like a bunch of babies, pouting in the corner, sucking their thumbs, stomping their feet, and screaming because they arenít getting their way. PLEASE people grow up, and enjoy the show and if you are that dissatisfied with the show then stop watching and yes I include myself in on this! You have NO idea what the new writers are going to do, so give it a chance you might like it, and if not then bitch! You might surprise yourself! :frustration:

I want DAYS to stay on the air, so I'm willing to see what the future brings!
I think they have a golden opportunity right now to bring fanbases together and rebuild a general audience because the reaction to the firings has actually helped things a bit, imho. There's a more general rallying cry of "just have good writing, assholes," with less of an emphasis on specific couples. I'm curious whether TPTB can leverage that.

I'm also curious how they can sell this latest writing regime change in a way that would lure more general audience viewers in. Those ratings are awful. But how do you promote the idea that the show is going to get better when you just did that a year ago (well, that was the latest time, anyway) and failed to follow through?

Again I'm thinking they may have to leverage the social networks developing as a reaction to the latest firings. But...it's a tricky situation.

reagon

px780
Apr 14 2012, 07:33 PM
lovinsafe
They have to get the GA back; they are the ones that will put this show back on the map. The fanbases think they have the power but the donít because there are not enough of them. Rafe & Sami, Ej & Sami and Lucas & Sami fans arenít going to keep DAYS on the air, but instead of watching and enjoying a fictional show they would rather bitch about it constantly and wonder why the show is gone. It takes a combination of factors to have a great show, good actors, good writers, and great fans to accept the show!

The fanbases all are acting like a bunch of babies, pouting in the corner, sucking their thumbs, stomping their feet, and screaming because they arenít getting their way. PLEASE people grow up, and enjoy the show and if you are that dissatisfied with the show then stop watching and yes I include myself in on this! You have NO idea what the new writers are going to do, so give it a chance you might like it, and if not then bitch! You might surprise yourself! :frustration:

I think they have a golden opportunity right now to bring fanbases together and rebuild a general audience because the reaction to the firings has actually helped things a bit, imho. There's a more general rallying cry of "just have good writing, assholes," with less of an emphasis on specific couples. I'm curious whether TPTB can leverage that.

I'm also curious how they can sell this latest writing regime change in a way that would lure more general audience viewers in. Those ratings are awful. But how do you promote the idea that the show is going to get better when you just did that a year ago (well, that was the latest time, anyway) and failed to follow through?

Again I'm thinking they may have to leverage the social networks developing as a reaction to the latest firings. But...it's a tricky situation.
I think what days fails to realize and has for years is fan bases don't amount to a hill of beans in terms of viewers. And the best story on this show in the last 10 years that got the general audience excited and actually helped drive viewership up was the baby switch and that story was centered on 2 women. None of the couples and that includes the so called popular EJ/Sami or even the Sami/EJ/Lucas triangle did a thing for ratings. They may have gotten buzz online and covered in the soap rags but hype doesn't always equal viewers.

And I'd contest that the general audience even knows when writing changes happens or cares. The reboot was more a PR stunt to reintroduce Days than it was introducing a writing change and I doubt they can play that card again. I don't think the GA cares who writes the show they just want engaging story. I remember people celebrating bob Guza at GH being fired and I doubt most off liners knew who he was. Look at the heralded Ron Carlivati, he's done nothing at GH despite all the soap hype.

What they need is to promote decent stories and they need a good umbrella story like they had in 2009. I still say a good murder mystery of a popular character like EJ would draw people in and that could get drawn out for months.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I miss OLTL. :(

Poker Face
Member Avatar
"I like to be on top, Darling." - John Ross/Pamela

LOL YR was bad as well? then soaps are really in trouble.no matter what shit was happenin,ppl kept watchin YR,but now they are losin viewers 2? scary.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Southofsoap
Apr 14 2012, 03:30 PM
Considering NBCs top prime time A18-49 demo for scripted TV was a 2.2 this week for The Office, I suspect DAYS isn't their top concern right now
Yep. And, at the rate NBC is going, it won't be their concern for a few years at least. I'm starting to think NBC has lowered their standards to that of a cable network because most of the shows they will be bringing back next season will be carrying cable-like numbers in demos.

I think Days made a big mistake right off the bat in September with the reboot when they didn't do anything huge at the Horton Town Square as far as drama goes. Yeah, we had John's arrest and Jack's return but that isn't going to draw eyes to the screen. They should've had one of the characters exiting get killed at the party or have something big like that happen to attract people right away and get interest. Then, you make that story central to the next few months. The show made a big mistake not doing something highly dramatic and soapy. The HTS celebration was nothing but a love letter to die hard fans. It was nice but it needed to be more. After all the happiness, there should've been drama that had the capability to attract new viewers. Instead, it was all rather ordinary.

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Checkers
Apr 14 2012, 01:31 AM
LPS
Apr 13 2012, 11:35 PM
Holy f#ck! has YR ever been below 4 million? That's awful.
MAB has completely screwed Y&R over. It's her writing and storytelling that has led Y&R to this point.
NOPE it hasn't been this low EVER nor the number of next day drops by the hundred thousand or more & MAB has the Gaul to use the word "SENSATIONAL" for her CURRENT storytelling.
Edited by lightandday, Apr 15 2012, 10:50 PM.

Nick_Brooke

reagon
Apr 14 2012, 07:51 PM
px780
lovinsafe

I think what days fails to realize and has for years is fan bases don't amount to a hill of beans in terms of viewers. And the best story on this show in the last 10 years that got the general audience excited and actually helped drive viewership up was the baby switch and that story was centered on 2 women. None of the couples and that includes the so called popular EJ/Sami or even the Sami/EJ/Lucas triangle did a thing for ratings. They may have gotten buzz online and covered in the soap rags but hype doesn't always equal viewers.

And I'd contest that the general audience even knows when writing changes happens or cares. The reboot was more a PR stunt to reintroduce Days than it was introducing a writing change and I doubt they can play that card again. I don't think the GA cares who writes the show they just want engaging story. I remember people celebrating bob Guza at GH being fired and I doubt most off liners knew who he was. Look at the heralded Ron Carlivati, he's done nothing at GH despite all the soap hype.

What they need is to promote decent stories and they need a good umbrella story like they had in 2009. I still say a good murder mystery of a popular character like EJ would draw people in and that could get drawn out for months.

E.J. has a very large fanbases and DAYS cannot afford to lose his fans. Stefano could be the victim. EJole and SAFE who have been front and center since late 2010, havnīt done a thing for ratings either. Dena Higley and co. put this show so far back, nothing can save it anymore IMO. And they just re-hired the same ppl who helped Dena ruin the show. They have nothing to lose at this point and might as well go with EJami.

reagon

Nick_Brooke
Apr 16 2012, 05:04 AM
reagon
Apr 14 2012, 07:51 PM
px780
lovinsafe

E.J. has a very large fanbases and DAYS cannot afford to lose his fans. Stefano could be the victim. EJole and SAFE who have been front and center since late 2010, havnīt done a thing for ratings either. Dena Higley and co. put this show so far back, nothing can save it anymore IMO. And they just re-hired the same ppl who helped Dena ruin the show. They have nothing to lose at this point and might as well go with EJami.
What's a big fanbase 2000 viewers. I'll contend he's popular so the general audience would be engaged and it would shake up the show same as killing off Sonny would shake up GH. Unless someone is willing to shake up the status quo and get the audience engaged, no fanbase not even Alison Sweeney is going to help. That's the issue with all these shows no one wants to shake things up.

And jmo it's time for folks to stop looking at Dena Higley. She's been gone for almost a year, plenty of time. Days didnt transition her stories and characters they dropped them all/wrapped them up and started ones.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

There is no bigger fan base than the people that simply don't care about any one actor or actress and just watch the show for entertainment value, it's those people that are leaving. No one actor makes or breaks this show, NOT ONE and at times it's proven that a murder mystery surrounding a very popular character on a soap has helped the soap when they need it most. Days managed to 'kill off' 10 of their most beloved characters in 2004 and the show increased in ratings...it was only AFTER they were found alive on an island that the show starting tanking....lol

reagon

LuvingLumi
Apr 16 2012, 07:39 AM
There is no bigger fan base than the people that simply don't care about any one actor or actress and just watch the show for entertainment value, it's those people that are leaving. No one actor makes or breaks this show, NOT ONE and at times it's proven that a murder mystery surrounding a very popular character on a soap has helped the soap when they need it most. Days managed to 'kill off' 10 of their most beloved characters in 2004 and the show increased in ratings...it was only AFTER they were found alive on an island that the show starting tanking....lol
Bingo. IMO the only characters that are not expendable are tentpole characters like Maggie and I'll say it Stefano. Because those are characters you can build around. I love James Scott and had they focused more on building EJ as the heir to Stefano vs the endless love triangles he could have been a tent pole also. The only issue at this point is he's the only 30 something Male they've groomed as a lead. It's a shame that they so bungled JKJ/Phillip because he and his character also had potential.

blueskies
Member Avatar

reagon
Apr 16 2012, 09:38 AM
LuvingLumi
Apr 16 2012, 07:39 AM
Bingo. IMO the only characters that are not expendable are tentpole characters like Maggie and I'll say it Stefano. Because those are characters you can build around. I love James Scott and had they focused more on building EJ as the heir to Stefano vs the endless love triangles he could have been a tent pole also. The only issue at this point is he's the only 30 something Male they've groomed as a lead. It's a shame that they so bungled JKJ/Phillip because he and his character also had potential.
nope, everyone's expendable; and Maggie's hardly one to consider not expendable, she's hardly been on for years and years (except last year that is).
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

trojangal
Member Avatar

Was Tuesday the day Santorium made his announcement to get out of the GOP race?
I know the day he had his announcement most of Days was't on my NBC station I had to
dvr it on Soapnet to watch it

Queen B
Member Avatar

lightandday
Apr 15 2012, 10:47 PM
Checkers
Apr 14 2012, 01:31 AM
LPS
Apr 13 2012, 11:35 PM
Holy f#ck! has YR ever been below 4 million? That's awful.
MAB has completely screwed Y&R over. It's her writing and storytelling that has led Y&R to this point.
NOPE it hasn't been this low EVER nor the number of next day drops by the hundred thousand or more & MAB has the Gaul to use the word "SENSATIONAL" for her CURRENT storytelling.
haha i've been watching Y&R on and off for quite a few years now and I just started tuning in again a couple months ago. It's definitely not "sensational" but compared to the garbage DOOL fans have been getting, I am thankful Y&R atleast has stories even if their shitty. unlike DOOL

Tammy101
Member Avatar

Days doesn't suck because EJ is the lead or because EJ is not killed off or because EJ is in a love triangle. Days sucks because no one has been able to write f'ing stories for years. We are all tired of waiting. Tired of endless promises it will get better. It hasn't gotten better, it's worse. Now you hire more of the same? Crazy! Promises, hope, believing...It's all lost. It will take a miracle to save this.

Jarliana

The ratings suck because they're having all the characters not acting like themselves. And they broke up all the main couples just for Sami and Rafe to be on all the different fanbases. They need to learn to balance the appearance of characters not always those two every single day. There's no variety always the same faces everyday. How can you miss a character if they are on all the time. There's really no main villain. They need to go back to the 80s where there was adventure and romance. Triangles and quads are old. That's been overdone to death especially now. Mixing couples has failed. Doesn't work anymore.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

PhoenixRising05
Apr 15 2012, 06:14 PM
Southofsoap
Apr 14 2012, 03:30 PM
Considering NBCs top prime time A18-49 demo for scripted TV was a 2.2 this week for The Office, I suspect DAYS isn't their top concern right now
Yep. And, at the rate NBC is going, it won't be their concern for a few years at least. I'm starting to think NBC has lowered their standards to that of a cable network because most of the shows they will be bringing back next season will be carrying cable-like numbers in demos.

I think Days made a big mistake right off the bat in September with the reboot when they didn't do anything huge at the Horton Town Square as far as drama goes. Yeah, we had John's arrest and Jack's return but that isn't going to draw eyes to the screen. They should've had one of the characters exiting get killed at the party or have something big like that happen to attract people right away and get interest. Then, you make that story central to the next few months. The show made a big mistake not doing something highly dramatic and soapy. The HTS celebration was nothing but a love letter to die hard fans. It was nice but it needed to be more. After all the happiness, there should've been drama that had the capability to attract new viewers. Instead, it was all rather ordinary.
Could NOT agree MORE!!

This was a PRIME PRIME PRIME moment for DAYS to WOW with a HUGE dramatic moment...instead they were banking on the fact that fans would be wowed by a fucking new set and veteran characters returning with pretty much nothing to do (outside of reunite with loved ones).

gstuart
Member Avatar

I feel that people are just tired of saving the soaps and people are watching it online and just is having fatigue with the industry itself, smdh. We want and deserved better. I also feel that soaps should take a big risk and go the telenoleva route and just show the soaps on like a few months out of the year and put on old classic episodes in their spot.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

Days ratings are lower than ever, so they decide to give Melanie another front burner storyline involving Chad and Gabi. WTF

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply