Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GH's Anthony Geary and Maurice Benard Weigh In On The Show's Reprieve
Topic Started: Apr 16 2012, 10:19 AM (980 Views)
Daytime
Member Avatar

The Revolution was televised and nobody gave a damn. ABC's new daytime lifestyle show has been cancelled due to dismal ratings and will be gone by July. That's fab news for the network's landmark soap General Hospital which has won a stay of execution and will remain on the air into 2013.

"For the last year or two we've been living on death row hoping for a reprieve, so this feels great," says GH icon Anthony Geary (Luke). "We're all breathing a sigh of relief, although we don't really know what this all means."

True enough. ABC has yet to make an official announcement about the status of GH since Deadline.com broke the news last week. While no one at the network is denying the report, it's been widely circulated that the show has been given a one-year pickup, meaning it will live to see its 50th anniversary next April. The truth is, ABC owns GH so technically there is no pickup involved here. The network can merely keep the show going a while longer as it continues to weigh its programming options. For example, The Revolution will be replaced by a nine-week summer spinoff of Good Morning America before GH takes that time slot in September. If the new, lower-cost GMA show draws strong numbers, ABC might consider giving it a permanent berth in the daytime lineup in 2013 and GH could be in jeopardy all over again.

"For all we know, we've only bought ourselves six months," notes GH star Maurice Benard (Sonny). But that's not stopping the celebration on the set. "It's a beautiful day in Port Charles!" Benard says. "Everyone's excited and we're determined to work hard and keep this thing going. Our goal now is to boost our ratings and be the No. 1 soap. Then they can't cancel us!"

Both Geary and Benard applaud the behind-the-scenes shakeup at the soap, which is now headed by exec producer, Frank Valentini, and head writer, Ron Carlivati, from ABC's recently cancelled One Life to Live. "Frank is a force of nature who is bringing great energy to the set," says Geary. "He loves this show and is fully prepared to go down with the ship, standing on the bow screaming at the top of his lungs. I can only admire that. It has made me and most of us want to work harder. Some people don't like it because they got complacent, and I'm not just talking about actors but people throughout the production. Those who don't want to work harder will not stay."

And forget those rumors that the recent influx of stars from OLTL Michael Easton (John), Kristen Alderson (Starr), Roger Howarth (Todd) and others has the GH cast feeling threatened. "No one is worried that Port Charles will be usurped by Llanview," says Geary. "There's just no downside to this. It makes us a much better show." Adds Benard: "Bringing in all this new blood is the smart thing to do. Let's hope there's more coming. I've been telling people we should do this for years!"

TV Guide's Michael Logan
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMan101
Member Avatar

Shocked by their enthusiasm. I'm glad the set is happier over the to be determined amount of time reprieve. Makes me smile because It must really be hard to know you could be out of a job tomorrow. I mean, technically, we all could be out of work tomorrow but still ... to have little support from your company? Basically shunned. Has to really hurt. It seems like the type of place where nothing ever seems good enough, you know?

Graham
Member Avatar

They're definitely in the denial stage on the set. And LMAO at Maurice for having the nerve to mention others not giving it their all!

Dorothy595
Member Avatar

Thanks Daytime. :wave:

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Oh well since my topic got deleted, I was letting you guys know Carolyn Hinsey said OLTL has a chance of returning if GH ratings go back. LMAO, I know it is a bunch of shit but just passing the info along to see you guys' thoughts.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Eric83
Apr 17 2012, 09:21 AM
Oh well since my topic got deleted, I was letting you guys know Carolyn Hinsey said OLTL has a chance of returning if GH ratings go back. LMAO, I know it is a bunch of shit but just passing the info along to see you guys' thoughts.
I saw that too and I'm like, "Wha....?" I would LOVE for OLTL to return but we're talking about ABC here. A network that has made it clear that they want out of soaps.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

LOL at Carolyn Hinsey...NO WAY IN HELL is OLTL coming back.

What a dumb ho for toying with their fans like that. I have never liked that bitch

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply