Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jonathan Frid Dead at 87
Topic Started: Apr 19 2012, 05:51 AM (1,158 Views)
RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Frid died last week. He was best known for his role as Barnabas Collins on DARK SHADOWS. He has a cameo in the upcoming DS movie.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CarlD2

87 is a long life but I'm still surprised to hear this. He'd sort of stepped away from the show in recent years but then returned and made this cameo, among other appearances. I'm glad he got that final acknowledgment of how important his work was. Dark Shadows is one of my all time favorite TV shows, and I just loved Frid's chemistry with Grayson Hall and Lara Parker. I hope he and Grayson are having a good laugh right now.

jam6242
Member Avatar

I was very sorry to see this news this morning, even though, as Carl said, Frid had a long life. I was one of those children who literally ran home from school to watch Dark Shadows to see what Barnabas and Julia were up to. My older sister had a huge crush on Frid. His Barnabas was one of the most unique tv characters ever.

Marlene

Man, I hate when I do that. My post went poof, but it was my fault.

DS had such a following that went beyond the cult. Not a personal fan, but you couldn't grow up in the time and not know about DS and Jonathan Frid. I happened to catch the movie promo late last week and at first thought how cool it was that DS was coming back on TV. Then I realized it was a movie promo and that's cool too. It just shows what an impact the show had on our culture. Certainly a precursor, along with Dracula, of course, for all the success of Vampire movies/stories now.

Condolences to Jonathan Frid's family and friends.

Vetting4fun

I just began to order episodes on DVD. Brings back great memories. The acting wasn't the greatest or the sets back then but it was great entertainment which was all it was meant to be. I never realized he lived in Canada. Best vampire ever.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

He was rad.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

Very sad news indeed. Dark Shadows and Barnabas will always hold a special place in my heart.

RIP Jonathan

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

RIP Jonathan

87 is a good, long life. Glad he shared so much of it with the fans. Thoughts go out to his family and loved ones.

jam6242
Member Avatar

David Selby wrote a lovely tribute, in the form of a letter to Jonathan.

http://www.davidselby.com/blog/2012/04/19/a-letter-to-jonathan/

CarlD2

Thank you for finding that. Beautiful and eloquent.

Geovanne

He was the best, RIP

CarlD2

Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott each did radio interviews around the time of Jonathan's passing, and they talk about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZ5NWY7H60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk97qtEFs6Q&feature=channel&list=UL

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply