Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
From the Vault: The More Things Change...Part 2; 1985 article: "Dedicated Days viewers have expressed reactions ranging from quiet sadness to shocked outrage..."
Topic Started: Apr 24 2012, 07:18 PM (1,907 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

Added today: "Missing In Action"...5 "Days" stars fired in 1984 and 1985 talk about leaving the show and their low-key exits:

2012 APPEARS BACK IN 1985 QUOTE: "Dedicated Days viewers have expressed reactions ranging from quiet sadness to shocked outrage. And many want to know exactly how and why this happened."

However, unlike 2012 and fans' months-in-advance notice, these exits were kept hush-hush from the audience, and no one knew the actors had left the show until the characters hadn't appeared for awhile.

See how Suzanne Rogers, Bill Hayes and Susan Seaforth Hayes' original exits happened and read about the last appearances ever of Jed Allan and Lanna Saunders.

http://www.jason47.com/days/samethings.html
Edited by Jason47, Apr 24 2012, 07:22 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting. Stuff like this is usually ignored whenever the 80s is discussed.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Apr 24 2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks for posting. Stuff like this is usually ignored whenever the 80s is discussed.
Yep.

If the Internet were around then, the shit would've hit the fan the same way it does now. Soaps haven't really changed THAT much in how they deal with getting rid of people. The business, in general, hasn't. Sometimes they show class, sometimes they don't.

dooldooldool

Thanks for posting this. Some things never change. The most shocking thing is that SOD actually published articles longer than 2 pages.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

This also shows the difference in actors/actresses today vs back then. What Al Rabin pointed out that they offered all of the leaving actors recurring status (he didn't call it that but that was basically what it was based on his wording) but none wanted it. In today's climate, they probably would've taken it. I would say since 2003 or so the stance of many actors on recurring status has changed drastically. Most used to snub their noses at it but, now, most would probably take it.

jwsel
Member Avatar

I see three differences between the changes in the 80s and today.

First, while some of the Hortons left, there was still a significant Horton presence in Salem -- Hope, Jennifer, and Mike were all in front-burner storylines, and Alice and Tom were still active. Mickey was still around, too, having been elected as the DA.

Second, despite the claim that the writers were not doing anything for anyone over 30, that article came out right as the show was ramping up the storyline focusing on Victor, Caroline, and Shawn.

Third, some of those "firings" were short-lived. Doug and Maggie both returned only a few months after that article. Mickey and Maggie remarried in February 1986, and Doug arrived back in April, at the end of the treason storyline. Julie returned for a couple of years beginning in 1990.
Edited by jwsel, Apr 24 2012, 07:51 PM.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

The other big difference is that the vacuum was filled with something high quality that did find an audience. I think it's okay to make big changes if you take that opportunity to create something. I do agree that there are strong parallels, though.

How does this relate to Suzanne Rogers' illness? Wikipedia (I know, I know) says she left in 1984 because she got sick, but she almost makes it sound like she got sick because she left.

The article below about a possible gay story in 1988 is very interesting as well. Wasn't Alan the socially awkward "Alien" who turned into a copycat killer? I think that might have been somewhat offensive... The other quotes are good, though.
Edited by granolagirl, Apr 24 2012, 08:23 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

jwsel
Apr 24 2012, 07:50 PM

First, while some of the Hortons left, there was still a significant Horton presence in Salem -- Hope, Jennifer, and Mike were all in front-burner storylines, and Alice and Tom were still active. Mickey was still around, too, having been elected as the DA.

Second, despite the claim that the writers were not doing anything for anyone over 30, that article came out right as the show was ramping up the storyline focusing on Victor, Caroline, and Shawn.

Third, some of those "firings" were short-lived. Doug and Maggie both returned only a few months after that article. Mickey and Maggie remarried in February 1986, and Doug arrived back in April, at the end of the treason storyline. Julie returned for a couple of years beginning in 1990.
Hope and Jennifer were teens. Victor, Caroline and Shawn were all newbies.

One might argue that those who took over stories and screentime back then were better than those today but it doesn't change the fact that vets were pushed aside for newbies.

Jason47
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Apr 24 2012, 08:19 PM
How does this relate to Suzanne Rogers' illness? Wikipedia (I know, I know) says she left in 1984 because she got sick, but she almost makes it sound like she got sick because she left.

The article below about a possible gay story in 1988 is very interesting as well. Wasn't Alan the socially awkward "Alien" who turned into a copycat killer? I think that might have been somewhat offensive... The other quotes are good, though.
"Alien" was not Alan. Alien was played by an actor named Allan Katz. He was a copycat killer of Harper. Alan was a teenage boy, friend of Eve, wanted to date Jennifer. The way they wrote it made it look like Alan was going to be the Riverfront Knifer, which turned out to be Harper.

As for Suzanne, I don't think she is being too truthful in this interview. She had not told anyone at "Days", neither the cast or crew, that her symptoms of myasthenia gravis were worsening. Suzanne would have never left the show unless she had to (which she had to, due to the myasthenia gravis, from 1984-1985). John Clarke mentioned in an interview when they killed off Maggie in 2003 that he had asked them to kill Mickey off instead, to save Suzanne's job, since he knew how much she loved the show and that she would never want to leave. I believe in later interviews after Suzanne returned in 1985, she came clean about what really happened and why she left.

jwsel
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Apr 24 2012, 08:38 PM
jwsel
Apr 24 2012, 07:50 PM

Hope and Jennifer were teens. Victor, Caroline and Shawn were all newbies.

One might argue that those who took over stories and screentime back then were better than those today but it doesn't change the fact that vets were pushed aside for newbies.
I mentioned Caroline and Shawn, because the article didn't talk about newbies, but about characters under 30. And Caroline and Shawn had been around on-and-off for a few years.

At the time of the article, the major storylines were focused on Marlena (she was in the Richard Cates storyline), Bo and Hope (Hope was becoming a cop), Abe (with Theo's death), Melissa (she and Pete were on the run with Tod Chandler), Liz and Neil (Liz had just recorded Friends and Lovers), Tony and Anna (Anna was accused of murder), Mike (who had just returned), and Shane and Kim (Kim's blindness and Shane's investigation of Victor). And long-term, older characters like Alice and Alex were in the mix too.

Marlena, Abe, Liz, Neil, Tony and Anna had all been on the show for three years or more. Bo, Hope,Melissa and Pete all began in 1983, so had been on the show for at least two years by the time of the article. The only real newbies were Shane, Kim, Victor, Mike (though he had been a major character before the recast), Tod (who also was a recast), and Theo (who was only around for six months or so). That seems like a decent balance between old and new, particularly when most of the "new" characters have strong ties to established ones.

Also, looking at the article, it's worth noting that Doug and Julie last appeared in April 1984, Maggie's last appearance is listed as Sept 1984, and Don's and Marie's last appearances were in April 1985. So it's not like someone just cut all the vets at once. They were gradual departures over a year. And according to Beth's episode archive, Maggie had returned to the show two weeks before the article came out. (Mickey was around throughout.)

Jason47
Member Avatar

jwsel
Apr 24 2012, 09:17 PM
And according to Beth's episode archive, Maggie had returned to the show two weeks before the article came out. (Mickey was around throughout.)
Yes, Maggie returned to "Days" the exact same day this issue of SOD would have hit the stands: August 27, 1985. That's how far behind they were with their articles back in the 80s. They had probably done those interviews in April or May 1985, before Suzanne knew she'd be back.

annie21

Jason47
Apr 24 2012, 09:25 PM
jwsel
And according to Beth's episode archive, Maggie had returned to the show two weeks before the article came out. (Mickey was around throughout.)
Yes, Maggie returned to "Days" the exact same day this issue of SOD would have hit the stands: August 27, 1985. That's how far behind they were with their articles back in the 80s. They had probably done those interviews in April or May 1985, before Suzanne knew she'd be back.
Yes, back then, magazines had longer lead times to go to print and shows had shorter intervals between taping and airing -- the complete opposite of today.

Interesting stuff, Jason, TFP.

I, too, was struck by the length of the article. We got long quotes from everyone, unlike today, when there are one-sentence quotes from maybe one or two persons.

Another thing that struck me was the reference to "8-10 million viewers" who tuned in each week. Those executives were dissatisfied with those numbers, having no idea what lay ahead!

Edited by annie21, Apr 24 2012, 09:36 PM.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Jason47
granolagirl
Apr 24 2012, 08:19 PM

"Alien" was not Alan. Alien was played by an actor named Allan Katz. He was a copycat killer of Harper. Alan was a teenage boy, friend of Eve, wanted to date Jennifer. The way they wrote it made it look like Alan was going to be the Riverfront Knifer, which turned out to be Harper.

As for Suzanne, I don't think she is being too truthful in this interview. She had not told anyone at "Days", neither the cast or crew, that her symptoms of myasthenia gravis were worsening. Suzanne would have never left the show unless she had to (which she had to, due to the myasthenia gravis, from 1984-1985). John Clarke mentioned in an interview when they killed off Maggie in 2003 that he had asked them to kill Mickey off instead, to save Suzanne's job, since he knew how much she loved the show and that she would never want to leave. I believe in later interviews after Suzanne returned in 1985, she came clean about what really happened and why she left.

Thank you -- the part about Alan has always confused me! Maybe I was getting the actor's name mixed up with the character.

And thank you for the info about SR.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I remember Rogers discussing her 1984 release. She was told the show had to get rid of the "older characters" and she felt very offended because she never considered herself to be among the older characters on the show. And she wasn't. Not at the time. Rogers significantly younger than most of the actors she interacted with (Clarke, Reid, Carey, Allen, etc.).

Marie's exit sounds a lot like the exits Steve, Kayla and Stephanie all got. Shame was a part of the game even back in the 80s, the "golden years." Although, I do understand where they're coming from. Unlike today, spoilers weren't as easily accessable to the audience. Had the internet been around back then, fans would've known weeks before about theses characters getting exits and they would've complained about the characters not getting proper exits, just like we did for the Johnsons back in 2009/11. So I get why Tomlin may have wanted to follow that rule back then. However, he has to remember that it isn't 1985 anymore. Most of the audience knows these characters are being written out. They're going to be even more upset that their favorites weren't given exits. You can't keep things as quiet as you could back in the 80s. Duh!

The actors talked about Rabin like many of them do Corday today. They never place blame on him, just like they never seemed to place blame on Rabin. Perhaps NBC's interference isn't just an excuse by showrunners. It has to be hard to run a show that's controled by network executives. Corday/Rabin are closer to the cast than the executives, so they know the significance to each actor and character on the show, but the networks don't care. Unfortunately, the executives from the network are keeping the show running, so Corday/Rabin have to listen.

I'd love to know what "friends" Saunders was referring to back then. Scandal!

LOL at Seaforth Hayes' dig at DAYS, saying she doesn't watch the show anymore because she's on Y&R. Like the role of JoAnna Manning did much for her career! The more I read from back then, the more obvious the huge ego she had back then becomes. What. A. Diva.

Interesting insight from Sheri Anderson. Really wish she would be named head writer for the final years DAYS has, the same way Lorraine Broderick was able to write AMC's ending.

AHM

There's one more major difference between then and now. Then, if you wanted to watch something during the day, you were going to be watching whatever was airing on TV. So, fans of the exited characters were probably going to keep tuning in anyway. Now, we have so many more options.
Edited by AHM, Apr 24 2012, 10:13 PM.

AHM

Also, then the writing was good, and new characters were nicely built. Now, the writing is a spastic mess. I haven't seen a good new character created in a long time.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I can't remember the last time they introduced a new character onto this show that I really took to. EJ, perhaps? But he's become nothing but a hot mess of WTFery these last few years and my like/dislike of him tends to come and go. Nick? I'm going with Nick. Nick was the last newly introduced character I genuinely liked. Damn. How long ago was THAT?

esp13
Member Avatar

Matt
Apr 24 2012, 10:27 PM
I can't remember the last time they introduced a new character onto this show that I really took to. EJ, perhaps? But he's become nothing but a hot mess of WTFery these last few years and my like/dislike of him tends to come and go. Nick? I'm going with Nick. Nick was the last newly introduced character I genuinely liked. Damn. How long ago was THAT?
November of 2006. He appeared just in time to save Kayla by finding a hypo-allergetic antidote to the toxin she was exposed to. Sigh. I loved Nick.

jwsel
Member Avatar

I like Sonny, but they need to develop him a bit more. Right now, he's the good, gay friend. It would be nice to see some depth and maybe some flaws.

I guess Will has been around in various incarnations, but I also like this Will and give credit to MarDar for developing him.

AHM

Matt
Apr 24 2012, 10:27 PM
That's exactly where I'm sitting. I have thought I liked EJ, but the character has had no continuity for so long that I've completely lost interest in him, but I did rather like Nick. Then they turned him homicidal without the build to get me to buy it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply