Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Weekly Character Discussion: Rafe
Topic Started: Apr 24 2012, 07:51 PM (5,664 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Every week we'll have a new thread for a different character; this week's is Rafe. The purpose of this thread is to give both positive and negative feedback about the writing, characterization, and portrayal of the character. As always, the daily thread is the place to discuss specific episodes and scenes; this thread is for any and all thoughts on the character, the character's history, family relationships, and what you'd like to see for him/her. Feel fee to post pictures and clips if you'd like.

We'll be locking these at the end of each week and giving another character a turn.

This is not a place for fanbase fighting; please know before posting that there will be people in here who disagree with you, and if you have a different opinion that one stated, please just state your own respectfully. The point of this thread is to get feedback from everyone, good or bad.
Offline Profile Goto Top

luvmysoaps

This ought to be good lol :drunk:
I can't say I am a fan. Too goodie goodie for me. I cannot take anyone who is portrayed as so wonderful. I like some imperfection and acknowledgement of such.

That is why i will always take my John, Bo, Steve, Jack, lucas etc anyday
Edited by luvmysoaps, Apr 24 2012, 08:12 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aldo
Member Avatar

I've never been able of liking this character and having him in the show almost everyday doesn't help.

He definitely has good qualities but his apparent obsession of being an interloper outweighs everything and makes him annoying.

I just wish he would back off for a while.
Edited by Aldo, Apr 24 2012, 08:14 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Ick. :x :puke:
Offline Profile Goto Top

am103
Member Avatar

I used to really enjoy Rafe when he first came on the show at the safehouse with Sami, and I also liked him during the entire baby switch storyline. But then when the Sydnapping happened, he got too goody-goody for me, and then Rafe II ruined the character completely, and then Rafe/Carrie insta-love took it to a whole new level. Lol. So yeah, Rafe definitely isn't as likeable now as he was when he first came on.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrakeDBEST
Member Avatar
Drake Hogestyn fan FOREVER and for ALWAYS!

I don't mind Rafe, like luvmysoaps said, they need to make him a bit more flawed. I LOVE the good guys on DAYS (John is my favorite) but why I love John is because he isn't perfect, he does have several chinks in his armor.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Caylee
Member Avatar

Barf! Hate what TBTPs done to him!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Helpless Romantic

I love Rafe have since since day one when he went toe to toe with Ms, Brady and I just hope the real Rafe comes back after this hack job :wub:
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

The only think I like about him is his smile.
Offline Profile Goto Top

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Incredibly tired of this character. I believe that one of the many problems that Days has is that they've made this show rotate around 4 characters. These characters, Rafe being one of the 4, has been basically doing the same thing with the same other characters for the past few years. I believe that this character, as well as Sami, Nicole and EJ, need to be backburnered for a long while.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Helpless Romantic

lysie
Apr 24 2012, 08:34 PM
The only think I like about him is his smile.
A sexy smile and eyes :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Offline Profile Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

For a time, I actually enjoyed Rafe, but that was very short lived. He's bossy, arrogant, hypocritical and judgmental but without any charm to even it out. The way other characters treated him like the second coming awhile back would almost make me think they'd been brainwashed, but Rafe clearly doesn't have the charisma to have pulled something like that off. He could have been okay in a supporting role, but there's no salvaging him now and he wore out his welcome in 2008 if you ask me.

And Rafe does have nice eyes, but it's not like the writers grew them in a vat or anything, so that doesn't count in his favor.
Edited by six, Apr 24 2012, 08:38 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lucky
Member Avatar
Rafe proves EJ is a little bitch

Rafe is my favorite character on the show right now. He's heroic, brave, and even though he is flawed, he tries to do the right thing. I don't always agree with Rafe's actions, but I understand them. He reminds me of some of the classic soap heroes Days had in the 80s. Of course, part of Rafe's appeal is that he's played by a fantastic actor in Galen Gering. He's been a big asset to the show and a remarkable leading man. I don't know how much longer Days is going to last, but one thing I know FOR SURE is that I want Rafe Hernandez to stick around for as long as it does.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Helpless Romantic

DrakeDBEST
Apr 24 2012, 08:27 PM
I don't mind Rafe, like luvmysoaps said, they need to make him a bit more flawed. I LOVE the good guys on DAYS (John is my favorite) but why I love John is because he isn't perfect, he does have several chinks in his armor.
I have always seen Rafe as flawed. Part of his back story that was never explored had him as a street punk who was going on the wrong side of the tracks until sister Agnes straightened him out. So much wasted potential by not going into his past because it was clear he had issues with his family. I don't know if he felt abandoned or what but when Sami talked to sister Agnes trying to get the low down lol. She said that something tragic happened to Rafe as a child and that she hoped Sami would not change him but accept him for who he is and love him. That angle to his potential back story like everything else was sadly dropped.
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Apr 24 2012, 08:44 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

reagon

I don't mind Rafe in fact I quite liked him during the Safehouse story with Sami and I thought they gelled fine. Not explosive chemistry but nice enough. He's a genuinely good guy I think but he also suffers from very limited writing. I do think moving Safe in a direction away from EJ was a great idea but that story should have possibly be centered around Rafe and Emily and Sami giving him a decent backstory and some real flaws and conflict vs another round of EJ vs Sami and Rafe. He suffers from overexposure as do EJ, Sami, and Nicole also.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AHM

Rafe is a symptom of how crappy Days has become. Dull and generic characters central.

Also, I agree with Talbab about the show rotating around these four characters for such a long time, and even before Rafe, it was still EJ and Sami. It's too long that these people have been most of the show. Look back at characters who actually were great and interesting characters, and none of them spent as much time uninterrupted in the spotlight as the "it" characters. I actually think trying to keep Sami, Rafe, Nicole, and EJ as the main players for so many years points to why the romance sucks. None of these characters ever get a really epic romance a la Bo/Hope (though that was before my time, I assume it was grand), Steve/Kayla, or Jack/Jennifer. Romances like that head steadily toward a point, with characters believably developing and not willy nilly going back and forth the way EJ and Sami do. Steve, Kayla, Jack, Jennifer---none of these were the center of the show as long as EJ, Sami, Rafe, Nicole---and I think all four of the fomer characters are better than all four of the latter, even Nicole. Keeping EJ, Sami, Rafe, Nicole so constantly in front has not led to good romance or consistent characterization. The concept of rooting values has been lost in the cesspool of these four sort of floating around and bumping into each other.
Edited by AHM, Apr 24 2012, 08:53 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
#TeamBeastModePrincess

What I don't like is the writers trying to make Rafe into this perfect guy without flaws. If you look at all the great heroines (Marlena, Kimberly, Carrie, Kayla, Jennifer, Hope) and heroes (John, Roman, Shane, Steve, Jack, Bo) they all had flaws in their character that made us want to root for them even more. I find the character of Rafe to be unbelievable as this god that the writers try to feed us.
Edited by darraholic, Apr 24 2012, 08:49 PM.
Online Profile Goto Top

Cupcake06

Lacks: Personality, charisma, hobbies and interests, sex appeal, a background story, a decent portrayal. Pretty much everything.

Is in desperate need of writing that gives at least one of the above. But it won't happen as long as he remains one of Sami's options.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Helpless Romantic

darraholic
Apr 24 2012, 08:48 PM
What I don't like is the writers trying to make Rafe into this perfect guy without flaws. If you look at all the great heroines (Marlena, Kimberly, Carrie, Kayla, Jennifer, Hope) and heroes (John, Roman, Shane, Steve, Jack, Bo) they all had flaws in their character that made us want to root for them even more. I find the character of Rafe to be unbelievable as this god that the writers try to feed us.
Rafe was not written as "perfect" until this regime. Sami may have felt he was because she loved him but he certainly didn't think that and didn't rub his "goodness" in to Sami or anyone else until MarDar pulled their hack job on his character. Rafe would NEVER say the things or act the way he is acting now. Which was all done to push a plot point to successfully break up two couples who were always very much in love. Rafe is a one woman man who faught tooth and nail for the one he loved, was a good brother, friend ,lover to Sami and accepting and understanding of her and her flaws. It was her feeling that she was undeserving of the love that Rafe gave her that lead her to may be put him on a pedestal but he ALWAYS thought the World of her too and certainly wouldn't be locking lips with his sister in law anymore than Sami would have bedded Elvis.
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Apr 24 2012, 09:02 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

davidmiller
Member Avatar

I really liked Rafe and I thought he was good with/for Sami and sort of mellowed her out a little. But this whole "love" story with Carrie has completely turned me against him. The way he was just so quick to dump Sami without even trying to work things out was just ridiculous and not how someone would act if they actually cared about their marriage. The fact that he is now trying to go after Sami's sister is just so disgusting to me and makes him look like a bastard.

Sidenote, why has no one addressed the fact that if Rafe were actually the father of Nicole's baby, it would have been conceived before he found out Sami cheated, and thus, he would be a cheater too.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic