Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
39th Annual Daytime Emmy Nominations
Topic Started: May 9 2012, 08:28 AM (10,681 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

nocturnalblondie
Jun 2 2012, 07:15 PM
lysie
Jun 2 2012, 06:53 PM
nocturnalblondie
Jun 2 2012, 06:45 PM
Renegade_Killerbee
Jun 1 2012, 05:42 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepOutstanding Younger Actress

WHO SHOULD WIN: Shelley Hennig
WHO WILL WIN: Christel Khalil

Outstanding Younger Actor

WHO SHOULD WIN: Chandler Massey
WHO WILL WIN: Chad Duell

Outstanding Supporting Actress

WHO SHOULD WIN: Rebecca Herbst
WHO WILL WIN: Rebecca Herbst

Outstanding Supporting Actor

WHO SHOULD WIN: Jonathan Jackson
WHO WILL WIN: Jonathan Jackson

Outstanding Lead Actress

WHO SHOULD WIN: Debbi Morgan
WHO WILL WIN: Erika Slezak

Outstanding Lead Actor

WHO SHOULD WIN: Anthony Geary
WHO WILL WIN: Anthony Geary

Outstanding Drama Series

WHO SHOULD WIN: None
WHO WILL WIN: General Hospital

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES DIRECTING TEAM

WHO SHOULD WIN: One Life to Live

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES WRITING TEAM

WHO SHOULD WIN: All My Children
WHO WILL WIN:Days of Our Lives wins.

#1 After watching it for ten years, gave up on it in 1987 (before it went to hell in a hand basket)

#2 Look at their history of winning in the acting categories (or should I say lack thereof)
What does that have to do with anything? They have some really talented actors. I think everyone can agree the show sucks ass, but that does not mean its cast does not deserve recognition... AT ALL. So completely disagree.
I dont think they deserve it. I have in the past, but their performances over the last few years have been pretty subpar, IMO, and it pisses me off that they have a better chance now that they suck than they did when they were actually deserving.
I don't agree. Chandler, Matt and Shelley all gave amazing performances with their respective materials!
It's not that I don't think they had good performances. It's more that there have been better performances over the years and because of politics, no one could get recognition. They just lucked out because some things have changed. I just find the whole thing pointless.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sonny_BrendaFan
Member Avatar
Brenda: "Let the fireworks begin." Sonny: "With you and me, Brenda, it's guaranteed."

Bright Eyes
Jun 1 2012, 06:44 PM
Chandler Massey should not in a million years win over Eddie Alderson.
I agree with this...EA was amazing all year...I like CM and thought he did a stellar job with the material he had but EA brought it.....
Edited by Sonny_BrendaFan, Jun 2 2012, 07:28 PM.

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

lysie
Jun 2 2012, 07:25 PM
nocturnalblondie
lysie
nocturnalblondie
Jun 2 2012, 06:45 PM

Outstanding Lead Actress

Outstanding Lead Actor

Outstanding Drama Series

WHO WILL WIN:Days of Our Lives
I dont think they deserve it. I have in the past, but their performances over the last few years have been pretty subpar, IMO, and it pisses me off that they have a better chance now that they suck than they did when they were actually deserving.
I don't agree. Chandler, Matt and Shelley all gave amazing performances with their respective materials!
It's not that I don't think they had good performances. It's more that there have been better performances over the years and because of politics, no one could get recognition. They just lucked out because some things have changed. I just find the whole thing pointless.
Chandler hasn't had a better year IMO, and Shelley's last year is where she impressed me the most.

lysie
Member Avatar

nocturnalblondie
Jun 2 2012, 07:54 PM
lysie
Jun 2 2012, 07:25 PM
nocturnalblondie
lysie

Outstanding Lead Actress

Outstanding Lead Actor

Outstanding Drama Series

WHO WILL WIN:Days of Our Lives
Chandler hasn't had a better year IMO, and Shelley's last year is where she impressed me the most.
Other actors have, though. They did have good performances, but IMO none of them were the kind of performances we're still going to be raving about in 20 years.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

You simply have to have some familiarity with The Daytime Emmy Awards (and some knowledge of arithmetic) to see that the only reason Days of Our Lives received a near record-breaking 15 nominations this year is because of the loss of Guiding Light and As the World Turns over the last couple of years.

Last year Days had five nominations and for the longest stretch of time it seemed there was only one nod for that show when Emmy nominees were read each year and it was usually Jensen Ackles and Christie Clark.

Not trying to throw shade on Days but just look at the facts and the history of the stubborn Emmy panel. Truth is is that, although I'm an ABC and CBS soap boy, I was actually rooting for Peter Reckell when he was up for Lead Actor a couple of years ago because he was one of the key actors that drove story when I was watching the show as a child with my parents and grandparents in the early to mid-1980's.

Next year, Days will do just as well come nomination time if not pose a serious challenge to actually winning some gold since there will be even less competition (aka, no All My Children or One Life to Live).

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

^DAYS has ALWAYS been disrespected by the Emmys (sometimes deserved, but for the most part, undeserved). However, that doesn't mean their actors have not given good (just as good as the other soaps) performances.

Shelley, Matt and Chandler submited great tapes and deserve the nominations...politics is the reason they got the nominations, but there is no denying how great they were in their tapes.

OliveAnn

Less soaps definitely helps Days get more nominations, but I think the Academy's attitude towards Days changed, as well. I guess they've become less disrespecting. Don't forget that Days got 5 acting nods, 2 of which they won, in 2009, when there were still 8 soaps on air. The trend continued in 2010, when 7 were on air, but 8 still eligible for awards. But, maybe I'm the only one seeing the change.

lysie
Member Avatar

OliveAnn
Jun 4 2012, 01:36 PM
Less soaps definitely helps Days get more nominations, but I think the Academy's attitude towards Days changed, as well. I guess they've become less disrespecting. Don't forget that Days got 5 acting nods, 2 of which they won, in 2009, when there were still 8 soaps on air. The trend continued in 2010, when 7 were on air, but 8 still eligible for awards. But, maybe I'm the only one seeing the change.
I can't explain Darin Brooks but Tamara Braun got a nomination because more soap people know her. She didn't do anything phenomenal. It's just frustrating to see actors who are barely a part of the shows' history walk away with nominations and awards when the actors who've put in decades of hard work couldn't get recognition because of politics. Besides, the industry's attitude wasn't the problem. The problem was that number of votes was decided on based on how many soaps each network had. Now ABC and NBC are even. Days specifically benefits in the Emmy process when there are fewer soaps.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

lysie
Jun 4 2012, 01:49 PM
OliveAnn
Jun 4 2012, 01:36 PM
I can't explain Darin Brooks but Tamara Braun got a nomination because more soap people know her. She didn't do anything phenomenal. It's just frustrating to see actors who are barely a part of the shows' history walk away with nominations and awards when the actors who've put in decades of hard work couldn't get recognition because of politics. Besides, the industry's attitude wasn't the problem. The problem was that number of votes was decided on based on how many soaps each network had. Now ABC and NBC are even. Days specifically benefits in the Emmy process when there are fewer soaps.
Yes, DAYS was shutout for the majority of the 2000's because they were at a HUGE disadvantage in network voting...I think each show got two votes in the nomination process...so NBC had 4 and then 2 (when PSNS was canned), while ABC had 8 and then 6 (after PC was canned), CBS had 8 and then 6 (after GL was canned), then 4 (after ATWT was canned)...so that is why DAYS was shutout.

Now that that system is no longer being used and the one that was used in the 1990's is back, DAYS is benefiting again.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Jun 4 2012, 02:05 PM.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Okay, FINAL prediction time...I'm ranking them how I think the voting will go, not who I would pick or who I want to win.

YOUNGER ACTOR
1. Chad Duell, GH
2. Chandler Massey, DAYS
3. Eddie Alderson, OLTL
4. Nathan Parsons, GH
Who Will Win : Chad Duell, GH
Who Should Win : Chandler Massey, DAYS/Chad Duell, GH (tie, IMO)
Who I Want To Win : Chandler Massey, DAYS
Spoiler : Eddie Alderson, OLTL
Nathan Parsons reel is very realistic and has Ethan questioning whether he is destined to be an alcoholic like Luke because of genetics. I still don't think he has a chance, but its better than I thought. When I saw he was nominated, I thought REALLY? FOR WHAT?! I think he should have cut out the scenes between Ethan and Sonny because Maurice Benard blows him away there. He's strong with Lexi Ainsworth, though. Eddie Alderson's reel is good. I think this one could go any of three ways. Alderson has a strong shot because OLTL is no longer on the air and nostalgia has to help a little bit. He goes through every possibly emotion in his reel and he's always been known as one of the best younger actors in daytime. I wouldn't be shocked to see him pull this out for those reasons. But his reel may be a little bit too soapy, as with all things OLTL. For me the two favorites are almost too close to call. Chad Duell's reel starts off strong with ACTION as Michael saves Abby from being raped by her ex and beats the Hell out of him. Then Chad Duell is amazing in FINALLY revealing his rape at the hands of Carter to Jason. Its nearly impossible to watch the last 3 minutes of this reel without crying. Plus having been robbed last year can't hurt his chances. Chandler Massey has a great shot at this with another really strong reel. Will and Marlena have a great talk about Will's confusion when it comes to his sexuality. Chandler and Deidre are both great in this and it cannot hurt to have a Daytime icon in your reel. This is socially relevant and its what soaps are based on.

YOUNGER ACTRESS
1. Christel Khalil, Y&R
2. Shelley Hennig, DAYS
3. Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, B&B
4. Molly Burnett, DAYS
Who Will Win : Christel Khalil, Y&R
Who Should Win : Christel Khalil, Y&R
Who I Want To Win : Shelley Hennig, DAYS
Spoiler : JMW, B&B
Molly Burnett's reel was another reel that I didn't expect to be as good as it was. When she got nominated I again thought, "HUH?!" but it turns out she did deserve it. She goes through another wide range of emotions that Emmy voters love. Plus her being previously nominated makes her somewhat of a dark horse in this one. Melanie going off on Chloe is something that voters usually enjoy. Shelley Hennig kills it in her reel. I have seen most experts ranking her 4th out of this group and I'm not really sure why. This reel has DRAMA on top of DRAMA. The only complaint I have is that the reel is slightly confusing if you don't watch the show. Its a little convoluted. I still think Hennig shines here. Christel Khalil puts in the best work she has ever put in on Y&R. The storyline is a little out there and that could hurt, but she acts her ass off. Lily thinks she's going crazy as she thinks she's imaging her dead husband. She prepares to have herself committed at the end of the reel. I cannot find Jacqueline MacInnes Wood's reel anywhere, but she is the only leading lady in this category so that has to count for something. She also seems to be a ratings popper and she has been in films. All of these are good things for her.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

I don't understand Shelley consistently ranking in 4th either, I'd put her at 2nd at the lowest. Molly's reel shows her improvement and it's solid, but I don't think it's exceptional. I still would've given the nom to Kate Mansi for last September. I'm pulling for Shelley anyway, but expecting CK to win it.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

SUPPORTING ACTOR
1. Jonathan Jackson, GH
2. Matt Ashford, DAYS
3. Sean Blakemore, GH
4. Jason Thompson, GH
5. Bradford Anderson, GH
Who Will Win : Jonathan Jackson, GH
Who Should Win : Jonathan Jackson, GH
Who I Want To Win : Matt Ashford, DAYS
Spoiler : None, really. Its Jackson's.
Bradford Anderson shows a ton of heart in his reel and it shows why people love Spinelli so much. The stupid accent HAS to hurt his chances because its almost hard to get through, even though Bradford does a great job with the material. Matt Ashford is the only non-GH actor nominated in this category and for good reason. I love his reel and I think its perfectly acted by both Matt Ashford and Deidre Hall. Ashford talks about his past demons (both of his fathers, being held captive) and finally opens up about his time in Afghanistan by breaking down into Marlena's arms. Great reel. Oh, and flashbacks! Always a favorite of voters. Sean Blakemore's nomination was another surprise, but PTSD looks like a winner this year. He's also better than expected. Jonathan Jackson has basically had this award sown up since this episode aired. This is the same as last year and I think this award is a forgone conclusion. Jason Thompson's reel is the total opposite of all of the others. Its light and funny. Warm-hearted. That could have some effect on voters, but I seriously doubt it. It was refreshing to watch this reel last after all of the other heavy reels though.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1. Rebecca Herbst, GH
2. Genie Francis, Y&R
3. Elizabeth Hendrickson, Y&R
4. Nancy Lee Grahn, GH
5. Melissa Claire Egan, AMC
Who Will Win : Rebecca Herbst, GH
Who Should Win : Rebecca Herbst, GH
Who I Want To Win : Rebecca Herbst, GH
Spoiler : Genie Francis, Y&R
Melissa Claire Egan plays an out of control Annie, to perfection. She is so vulnerable and delusional and she was a true shining star during her last run with AMC. Genie Francis FINALLY was allowed to bring all of the things we love about GENIE FRANCIS to the role Genevieve during her submission. Genie is great as she fights her emotion and shock that Colin is actually presenting her with divorce papers. She admits to Jack that Colin is the only man she's ever been with. WOW, Nancy Lee Grahn proves why she is a legend in her reel. Its subtle and VERY NLG of her. Alexis is strong and serious in this reel, not backing down while Carly throws accusations at her. Elizabeth Hendrickson is also very good as a mother upset with herself for not putting her daughter first when its revealed that Delia has leukemia. Rebecca Herbst absolutely rips your heart out in her submission. Herbst plays a mother who has to decide when to pull the plug on her dying son and also whether to donate his organs to save the child of a woman she can't stand.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Okay, I'm tired of long write-ups for now and I have things to do before the Emmys, lol. Rainy day here...so quick versions...

LEAD ACTOR
1. Tony Geary, GH
2. Darnell Williams, AMC
3. Robert S. Woods, OLTL
4. Maurice Benard, GH
5. John McCook, B&B
Who Will Win : Tony Geary, GH
Who Should Win : Tony Geary, GH
Who I Want To Win : Tony Geary, GH or Robert S. Woods, OLTL
Spoiler : Darnell Williams, AMC
For me this is a two man race between Tony Geary and Darnell Williams. I don't think Maurice Benard submitted his strongest possible reel. John McCook's reel is very relevant and realistic. Its also something that soaps never touch on so he deserves his nomination, although I don't think he's in the race. Robert S. Woods is a legend and has a little nostalgia on his side, considering the end of OLTL. His reel is very good as Bo wrestled with the idea of pulling the plug on his son and giving his heart to his brother, Clint.

LEAD ACTRESS
1. Debbi Morgan, AMC
2. Erika Slezak, OLTL
3. Heather Tom, B&B
4. Laura Wright, GH
5. Crystal Chappell, DAYS
Who Will Win : Debbi Morgan, AMC
Who Should Win : Debbi Morgan, Erika Slezak
Who I Want To Win : Erika Slezak
Spoiler : Heather Tom, Laura Wright
Crystal Chappell's reel is the shortest by 2 minutes. Laura Wright's is the next shortest and then everyone else has long reels. Erika Slezak's reel is by far the longest reel in any category at 30:00. I don't know if that will hurt her or help her yet. There is some classic OLTL camp in her reel, but everyone knows she is Emmy GOLD. I think Slezak's performance is epic and deserving of an award but this is a tough, tough year. Any other year I would hand it to her on a silver platter. I don't know if the voters are still willing to accept multiple personalty storylines. They seem to want to go more realistic these days. Chappell's reel is not all that to me. I'm not a fan of it. I guess it was nominated because of how short it is and because there's practically no dialogue. Maybe because of how different it is. Laura Wright is a powerhouse once again and I wouldn't be shocked to see her walk away with it. Debbi Morgan just blows you away with her reel. She might be a little bit OTT at times but this reel is crazy good. She has to be the favorite. Heather Tom is another person that voters absolutely LOVE. She could set a record as the first person to ever win in three different categories at the Emmys. If voters knew that it might skew them a little bit. Her submission is strong too as Katie rails against Steffy and Bill. Telling Bill that he will have to beg for forgiveness if he wants them to work things out. This one is WIDE open.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Please join us in our live viewing thread for tonight's telecast of the 39th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards.

Link here: http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8702835/1/

Dreamy
Member Avatar

YAY for Chandler!!! What a cheer for him.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply