Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Britney Spears Signs X Factor Deal!
Topic Started: May 9 2012, 10:02 PM (847 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

It's Official: Britney Spears Signs X Factor Deal!

Britney Spears is official.

After months of eight-figure negotiations, the pop star has finally signed her contract to join Simon Cowell and L.A. Reid as a judge on The X Factor.

Spears finally inked her deal this week, E! News has exclusively confirmed. As we previously reported, Spears will get $15 million for one season's worth of work. She had agreed in principle to the deal weeks ago and had spent the last several days working out the fine print.

"The contract is signed," reveals source close to the star. "There's been a lot of back and forth over the past few weeks as they negotiated the small details, but she's on. It's all completed and Britney is beyond excited."

Cowell blew up the show's cast at the end of its inaugural season, firing judges Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger and host Steve Jones. Since then, he's been searching for the perfect panel in hopes of boosting the show's second-season ratings.

"She's ready for this," the insider continues. "She can't wait to sit down next to Simon at the judges' table and give this everything she's got. She is excited about showing the world that she can do this, and do this well. This is the perfect next stage in her career. Both Britney and Simon are very excited to work together."

This will be Britney's first network TV project since her short-lived Britney & Kevin: Chaotic reality series with ex-husband Kevin Federline.

Now we're just waiting for Cowell and crew to finalize the fourth judge (names floated in recent days include Spears' fellow former Disney princesses Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato, but neither has been confirmed) and name a new host—or, possibly, hosts. That announcement is expected by the time Fox announces its fall schedule at the upfronts on Monday.

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/news/its_official_britney_spears_signs_x/312961
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

I don't care what people say about her, I love her! I'm excited to watch X-Factor! :)

Kenny
Member Avatar

Well, this should be an interesting trainwreck.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I agree Kenny, which is why Fox and Simon Cowell likely went after her. I'm actually debating checking itout.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

I like Britney as a person and a few songs,but HER helping coach people on how to sing LIVE when she does not,yeah she can help with performance portion,but the live singing,not so much.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

The "trainwreck" factor is exactly why they went and got her. Now I wish they kept Paula because it would've been GOLD having them both on the panel.

I really hope we don't get someone like Demi Lovato or Miley Cyrus as the 4th judge. That would obviously be pandering to get younger fans and would suck. You need one female at the panel who knows what she is doing and can be a strong mentor/judge. That was the issue last season. Both Nicole and Paula stunk at that and were emotional messes although Paula was more professional than Nicole. That is when you know your in trouble LOL.

KMan101
Member Avatar

So basically Fox is hoping for a younger version of Paula Abdul. A hot messy trainwreck.

I wonder who will fill the other slot and who will host?

King
Member Avatar

I thought I read something yesterday that Simon wants Demi Lovato and Miley to co-host? Or take turns hosting? Or something?

I think Britney is going to do great! I am excited. The show does need a format change though, if I am going to tune in again this season. The judges were NOT the problem last year.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Demi posted on her twitter/Facebook page she is a new judge,not host along side Britney.

I cannot think of anyone who'd I would like as a host,not at the moment anyways.

Karma LA Reid seeing as Demi,NOT A 40 year old sang a song Drew sang last year.
Edited by Snowing Fan, May 14 2012, 04:27 PM.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

This is a gimmick that will only work if she exudes bitchiness or is bonkers. I think Britney may actually be a nice person so Simon best pray she is off her meds.

King
Member Avatar

YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

BRIT BRIT!

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

So, he chose TWO trainwrecks. I don't think either of them are qualified to be mentoring/judging anyone else.

I am sure having Britney on there will get people to tune in though.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

How is Demi a trainwreck?Least she is qualified to give advice on LIVE singing?Yeah she went to rehab,for an eating disorder,not drugs or anything and hasn't shaved her head or anything,don't get me wrong I have nothing against Britney,she has songs I enjoy I just do not think she is qualified on giving advice on LIVE singing when she doesn't even do it herself.But we'll just have to watch and see.

Layla
Member Avatar

I'm a Britney fan, and Demi seems like a sweet gal and all, but I have to agree with Angie. I don't think they're qualified to judge. Britney is... yeah. Y'all already know. As for Demi, she is... what, 19? She's mostly known for being a Disney Channel star. Yeah, enough said. :P

And gag, LA Reid is still a judge. They should have gotten rid of him too. Eh, hopefully Britney and Demi will be more likeable than Paula and Nicole.

I don't care if they pick an A-list celebrity or a random dude off the street as the host. All I ask is for the show to pick someone who doesn't have the personality of a piece of toast.

King
Member Avatar

I think they're both qualified. I mean, they might not be the most amazing live SINGERS of all time, but they're definitely great ARTISTS. Or at least Britney is. She's made her mark on music, and she'll be known forever. So, why not?

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I just can't see Britney helping someone arrange a song, with any pitch or singing problems, etc. She needs help with that stuff. She is more of an entertainer/celebrity. I wouldn't call her a musician or much of an artist.

I can't see Demi doing that either. She doesn't have enough experience, she is only 19.

Aren't they both bipolar?

Layla
Member Avatar

King
May 15 2012, 12:04 AM
I think they're both qualified. I mean, they might not be the most amazing live SINGERS of all time, but they're definitely great ARTISTS. Or at least Britney is. She's made her mark on music, and she'll be known forever. So, why not?
Britney, a great artist? Eh, kind of. Demi... nah.

I mean, sure, there are plenty of successful performers out there. Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Will.I.am, etc. But they are horrible singers (IMO). I don't think that just because you're a popular artist/entertainer, that qualifies you to give out singing advice to contestants. If your career is based on singing and you can barely sing yourself, I'm not going to take you seriously when you give out advice and criticisms to contestants - contestants who sing better than you on their worst day.

It's kind of like Ken Corday giving somebody tips on how to manage/run a soap opera, lol.

@Angie - I'm pretty sure Demi was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Not sure about Britney.
Edited by Layla, May 15 2012, 12:36 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Here's the thing...it's not just about singing. You don't even have to sing to be able to give out good advice. And who says whoever is a judge/mentor has to know how to advise the contestants on arrangements and choice of song? Look at the judges/mentors on these shows. Do you really think they honestly do that each and every time? Sure, they have ideas (which they regularly steal from others) but most times the record producers and vocal coaches they have available to the show (who come from the record label affiliated with the show) are the ones who work with the contestants on all that. The judge/mentors then step in and assist with performance and what is left to take care of. Look at Idol. Jimmy Iovine and his producers do most of the work. Over the years, it was Simon and Randy, two record execs, talking arrangements and such. Oh, and Kara Dioguardi too but she's a song-writer. You never saw Paula Abdul, Jennifer Lopez, or Stephen Tyler talk much of arrangements and song choice aside from here and there. I realize Idol and X-Factor are different but I feel my point still stands. I mean, even on The Voice, it's not all on the judges/mentors. They are involved but you have others involved like X-Factor and Idol (musicians, vocal coaches, record producers, etc). Neither Britney nor Demi has to worry about any of that. They just have to bestow on their contestants advice on how to deal with the pressure, business, etc and how to perform and deal with all the fear and issues that may be involved. They both started careers young so they will be very helpful to the younger acts (those under 21) in terms of dealing with the pressure. Last season, we saw so many young acts buckle under the pressure. Britney and Demi can help with that as well as on performance. Demi also can sing. She's not great but she's not horrible. She is one of the few Disney girls I could tolerate whenever my Goddaughter was forcing me to watch that channel when I babysat for her a few years ago. They've both been in the business long enough. They have plenty of qualifications. The way the music business is now, you can't just go by who can sing and who knows how to arrange a song or choose a song. There are plenty of people to help them with that and I'm sure they can come up with ideas on their own too. They both have chosen songs for themselves before and have had to decide what direction to go in on a song. They know enough. I mean, it's not like Paula and Nicole were that far ahead of them. Britney is basically a younger, more unpredictable version of Paula and Demi is a younger version of Nicole only with a better voice IMO. These two can't do any worse and they will at least draw younger viewers, which is clearly what the show needed and what Simon and Fox wanted. They were hurting in demos.

These two weren't my first choice but I'm intrigued and think it will work ratings-wise and interest-wise. This is far more interesting than the panel last year, which to me was relying way too heavily on nostalgia (Simon and Paula) and never fully got off the ground because they had to swap out Cheryl Cole for Nicole almost instantly.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, May 15 2012, 12:53 AM.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I don't know how much the judges actually do on the X Factor (they didn't show much of it), but last season the judges sure liked to get digs in at each other when the song choice wasn't great or if they didn't like changes made to it. They have be working with these people in some capacity. Even if they don't do any of that, Britney judging singing talent is funny.

They do work with them on the 'The Voice'. We see it.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

I've seen Demi live,that girl can sing incredibly well believe me,she may have started at Disney,but so what,why hold that against her,didn't Britney,Christina Aguilera,Justin Timberlake,others start there too,hmm.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply