Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ABC Renews 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Revenge,' 'Modern Family,' 'Once,' 'Castle,' More
Topic Started: May 11 2012, 12:45 AM (482 Views)
Thomson
Member Avatar

Ahead of Tuesday's upfront presentation to ad buyers, ABC has renewed seven series, including freshmen Revenge, Once Upon a Time and Suburgatory.

The female-skewing network, which saw its first-season fare perform particularly well this year, also has granted renewals to its other Wednesday night comedies, Modern Family and The Middle, along with longer-running offerings Grey's Anatomy and Castle. All seven series,
four of which hail from ABC's sister studio, have been performers for the network.

Here's a look at why each of the shows given pickups Thursday:

Once Upon a Time
The fantasy drama from Lost scribes Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz opened with a bang, drawing 13 million viewers and a 4.0 in the adult demographic, ABC's best debut in five years. (The ABC Studios series earned a fast full-season order after the show co-starring Lana Parrilla as the Evil Queen held onto much of its viewership in its second outing.) Starring Jennifer Morrison, Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas, the dual-universe story about what happens to Snow White after her fairy tale wedding has been a solid performer for the network on Sunday nights, lifting the fortunes of the departing Desperate Housewives. When you factor in the full week's worth of viewership, Once is garnering a 4.0 rating thus far this season.

Revenge
The freshman drama has become the network's water-cooler show of the season -- and one of the first to get new entertainment topper Paul Lee's stamp of approval. The Wednesday night series starring Emily VanCamp and Golden Globe nominee Madeleine Stowe has become a valuable property for the network overseas, with U.K. broadcaster E4 securing rights to the story written and executive produced by Swingtown's Mike Kelley. The exec dubbed the show "sexy" and "sticky," telling critics in January, "You just want more of it." Now, he's giving it to them.

Suburgatory
The series from creator Emily Kapnek has been a sturdy performer for the network on Wednesdays following another Warner Bros. TV-produced series, The Middle. The rookie comedy starring Jane Levy, Jeremy Sisto and Cheryl Hines notched a strong ratings performance in its debut Sept. 28, averaging 9.8 million total viewers and a 3.3 rating among adults 18-49, serving as a strong lead-in to Modern Family and has become a staple on the network's Wednesday night comedy block. Season to date, the series is averaging a 2.6 in the demo.

Grey's Anatomy
It ranks as television's No. 1 scripted drama series with the all-important 18-49 demo (averaging a 4.1 rating) and will return for a ninth season. The Thursday night medical drama, which hails from uber-producer Shonda Rhimes, stars Patrick Dempsey, Ellen Pompeo and Sandra Oh, all of whom are expected to return next season. More recently, Grey's has been used as a launching pad for the prolific showrunner's D.C.-set political-fixer drama, Scandal, bumping Grey's spinoff Private Practice to Tuesdays. The future of Scandal and Practice has not been determined.

Castle
The Nathan Fillion-Stana Katic starrer has been a reliable Monday night ratings driver for the network and will return for a fifth season. The crime dramedy from Andrew W. Marlowe will reach 100 episodes next season, a critical mark for syndication with TNT already securing rights to the ABC Studios property.

The Middle
The Patricia Heaton-led comedy has continued to deliver solidly for the network's comedy portfolio, averaging a 2.6 rating in the beloved 18-49 demo this season. What's more, while it lacks the critical acclaim and water-cooler chatter of its counterparts, the Warner Bros. Television-produced comedy has served as a steady lead-in for the Disney-owned net's Wednesday night comedy block, boosting the fortunes for freshman entry Suburgatory.

Modern Family
The reigning Emmy darling will return for a fourth season. It continues to thrive on Wednesdays, with the network most recently using it to launch buzzy freshman comedy Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23. The 20th TV ensemble series, which stars Emmy winners Julie Bowen, Ty Burrell, Eric Stonestreet and Sofia Vergara, ranks as the network's No. 1 scripted comedy series, up nearly 20 percent for its best season ever. Meanwhile, the six adult cast members, also including Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Ed O'Neill, are looking for hefty salary raises for the fourth season of the comedy from Steve Levitan and Christopher Lloyd. Sources told THR in late March that the ensemble cast likely will ask for $200,000 per episode, up considerably from the $65,000 they currently make (O'Neill earns more).

The fates of ABC's Body of Proof, Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23, GCB, Happy Endings, Last Man Standing, Missing, Pan Am, Private Practice, The River and Scandal remain in question.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/abc-renews-greys-anatomy-revenge-323165
Edited by Thomson, May 11 2012, 12:47 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paula
Member Avatar

Yay for Once Upon a Time! :cheer:

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

Happy for OUAT and Modern Family. Sure wish Happy Endings was on this list already.

MidnightRain
Member Avatar
Jake & Marley ~ Jarley <333

Not surprised at all about OUAT (I mean, everyone had to know it would be renewed), but thrilled to see it finally confirmed. :cheer: Can't wait for Season 2! :biggrin:

Mason
Member Avatar

Yeah, I'm really gonna need to know about Happy Endings. It's sad I know, but I need this show in my life.

taylore
Member Avatar

ABC better renew Scandal and cancel GCB,i wanna see more of the prez and Livvie :wub: :wub:

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

SUBURGATORY!! Woo!!

bstreis
Member Avatar
No matter what you think, I DO love you.

Score for OUAT and Grey's. Two of my faves on the network, I'm good :) TFP

wiggleworm
Member Avatar

Mason
May 11 2012, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I'm really gonna need to know about Happy Endings. It's sad I know, but I need this show in my life.
It's renewed.

As Penny would say....A-MAH-ZING.

I just hope it doesn't get Cougar Town's old timeslot.

Bremol
Member Avatar

Yes to OUAT and Castle being renewed!

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

Paula
May 11 2012, 02:03 AM
Yay for Once Upon a Time! :cheer:
Me Too!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

OUAT :cheer: :cheer: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: I am obsessed with the show,I am dying for season 2 to start and season 1 ends Sunday.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply