Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
CW Renews 'Gossip Girl,' 'Nikita' 'Hart of Dixie', Cancels 'Ringer' and 'The Secret Circle'
Topic Started: May 11 2012, 04:54 PM (621 Views)
Thomson
Member Avatar

The CW has renewed Gossip Girl and Nikita as well as freshman drama Hart of Dixie.

Gossip Girl's sixth season pickup doesn't come as a surprise as there had been conversations about bringing back the Blake Lively-Leighton Meester hourlong for a final round as the actors' contracts expire next year. In January, executive producer Stephanie Savage told reporters that the Gossip Girl writers were leaving the story open at the end of season five. "We're not writing a series finale this year," Savage said at the time.

In its second season, the Maggie Q-Shane West action drama moved from its plum post-The Vampire Diaries time slot to Fridays at 8 p.m. this season where it faced stiff competition from the final season of NBC's outgoing spy dramedy Chuck.

The second season pickup of Dixie created by Leila Gerstein, ensures at least three series from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage will remain on the CW schedule next year. Starring Rachel Bilson, the Southern medical drama has been a solid performer following Gossip Girl on Monday nights. Dixie follows the network's move into shows with more procedural elements than heavily serialized dramas like Gossip Girl. The renewal gives Schwartz and his camp the potential to have four projects on the network, joining Arrow and The Carrie Diaries.

Nikita and Dixie join The Vampire Diaries, 90210 and Supernatural as having earned renewals at the youth-skewing network. The futures of Ringer and The Secret Circle has yet to be determined.

Meanwhile, the network has canceled freshman dramas Ringer and The Secret Circle.
Ringer, the most buzzworthy of all the pilots coming into the fall season as it marked former Buffy the Vampire Slayer star Sarah Michelle Gellar's return to series TV, failed to live up to its hype. After opening to a modest 2.84 million viewers and a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demo, a time period success for the CW at the time. However, the freshman drama couldn't hold its footing, despite airing in multiple windows following the early demise of reality effort H8R, ending its season with a 0.5 in the demo and 1.2 million viewers. Not helping the serialized drama's case is Gellar's pregnancy.

The Secret Circle, starring Life Unexpected's Britt Robertson, took over Nikita's post-Vampire Diaries slot, giving the network a block of programming from Kevin Williamson. The freshman drama, exec produced by Andrew Miller, earned a full-season order in October when it was the network's best performing new drama. After averaging 2.4 million viewers and a 1.0 in its first three weeks, Circle dimmed considerably. With both Circle and fellow freshman Hart of Dixie both drawing similar viewership, sources said the former's serialized nature -- making it harder for new viewers to come into the show -- worked against its favor. Its series finale aired May 10.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cw-renews-gossip-girl-nikita-323589
Edited by Thomson, May 11 2012, 05:41 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

I'm so pissed about Ringer!

HART OF DIXIE? REALLY!!

Thomson
Member Avatar

It's a shame they canceled Ringer !!

Mason
Member Avatar

I stopped watching The Secret Circle months ago, but I'm shocked CW canceled it while keeping Hart of Dixie, which was getting worse numbers and worse press (with good reason).

They must have a serious hard-on for overrated Josh Schwartz.

Bremol
Member Avatar

I'm happy to see Hart of Dixie renewed. It's the only show I watch on CW.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

The Secret Circle introduced me to the incredible Natasha Henstridge. For that, I will always be thankful. Brian Kinney every week again was nice, too. I just hope Shelley Hennig bounces back quickly.

King
Member Avatar

Maybe it's budgetary. I think that is why they canceled Ringer.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I'm so pissed off they cancelled Ringer & The Secret Circle. The only series I watch on the shitty CW network are Ringer, Secret Circle, and Vampire Diaries (which I only started to watch last summer). Now that I'm down to just TVD for next season, I highly doubt there's anything they could offer me that would make me want to watch.

MissLola
Member Avatar

I cant believe they canceled secret circle and ringer but kept Gossip Girl, which has lost its allure, and stupid Hart of Dixie. :shrug:

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I just started to like The Secret Circle. It seemed like maybe it hit its stride, even with the weird incest-y scene in the finale.

I don't get The CW. I guess TSC is expensive compared to 90210. Because really, all their shows are serialized (and old!) and not really likely to draw in new viewers easily.

Alin89
Member Avatar

i heard that it will be gossip girl's last season.

MaterialGurl
Member Avatar

darn it! I enjoyed The Ringer. Love SMG ;)

KMan101
Member Avatar

Yeah Gossip Girl will have 11 episodes this season. Hart of Dixie deserved renewal. It was getting better ratings than GG

King
Member Avatar

It must be a money thing. Ringer films in NYC which is probably expensive.

Hart of Dixie films at Warner Bros so it's probably cheaper?

Alin89
Member Avatar

i heard that this coming season of gossip girl will be the last. they cast only have a contract till this coming season.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply