Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SON Inside The Writers Room: May Edition; Tomlin & Whitesell's first writing staff changes
Topic Started: May 12 2012, 05:19 PM (3,888 Views)
Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

Quote:

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) - The new writing regime of Gary Tomlin and Chris Whitesell make their first changes to the "Days of our Lives" writing staff.

As expected, Tomlin's long time friend, Fran Myers, returns as script editor. This will be Myers' 4th stint as the "DAYS" script editor: 1999-2003, August-September 2004, and October 13, 2008 - August 25, 2011. Jeanne Marie Ford moves from script editor to script writer.

Breakdown writers Lisa Connor and Elizabeth Snyder have exited the show.
http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/news/inside-the-writers-room-may-edition-2
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dreamer
Gone, But Not Forgotten!

Supergirlx2
May 12 2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) - The new writing regime of Gary Tomlin and Chris Whitesell make their first changes to the "Days of our Lives" writing staff.

As expected, Tomlin's long time friend, Fran Myers, returns as script editor. This will be Myers' 4th stint as the "DAYS" script editor: 1999-2003, August-September 2004, and October 13, 2008 - August 25, 2011. Jeanne Marie Ford moves from script editor to script writer.

Nice to see someone else hired, that has been fired several times before.
It clearly is a who you know type of business. I still have no faith in the new HWs, they will come in with a bang and end with a bust.
Edited by Dreamer, May 12 2012, 05:54 PM.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

Dreamer
May 12 2012, 05:50 PM
Supergirlx2
Quote:

It clearly is a who you know type of business. I still have no faith in the new HWs, they will come in with a bang and end with a bust.
the way I interpreted Tomlin's move was that he wanted to make sure he had someone at the end of the line to make sure that his vision is brought to life to a T. The characters will most likely talk, act, etc exactly like Tomlin wants them to. The only plus to Tomlin not being an EP is that he can't stop the actors from rephrasing while shooting. We'll have to wait and see what happens, but I suspect that the characters we "know and love oh so much" from Higley's reign of terror will be back in full force.

elizhope
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
May 12 2012, 07:14 PM
Dreamer
Supergirlx2
Quote:

the way I interpreted Tomlin's move was that he wanted to make sure he had someone at the end of the line to make sure that his vision is brought to life to a T. The characters will most likely talk, act, etc exactly like Tomlin wants them to. The only plus to Tomlin not being an EP is that he can't stop the actors from rephrasing while shooting. We'll have to wait and see what happens, but I suspect that the characters we "know and love oh so much" from Higley's reign of terror will be back in full force.
The first thing that comes to mind for me is Bo... the things they had him saying/doing/emotion back in 2010 was so OOC (at least for me)

lysie
Member Avatar

elizhope
May 12 2012, 07:35 PM
Supergirlx2
May 12 2012, 07:14 PM
Dreamer
Supergirlx2
The first thing that comes to mind for me is Bo... the things they had him saying/doing/emotion back in 2010 was so OOC (at least for me)
If it makes you feel better, I think Higley had more control during that time. I'd expect Bo to be like he was during the timing of the baby switch story.

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

As long as the Cullitons and Lacey Dyer stay on-board, I'm okay. Oooh! Lorraine Broderick and Cullitons. I like it.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Fran Myers is good. That's a good call, IMO. I've never heard anything but good about her work and she is an EXPERIENCED soap writer in addition to having acted on Guiding Light for 15 years in the role of Peggy Scott Thorpe (1965-1980). She was married to her GL co-star Roger Newman (who played Holly's brother Ken for many years) who also became a soap writer (they often worked together as a team). Sadly, he passed away a couple of years ago.

I don't know much about either Snyder or Connor, but I've long been on record at being less than thrilled with the structure of episodes and the scene breakdowns so I'm hoping this might fix that.

As far as Ford goes, I'm not familiar with her script work, so we'll just have to see.

And as long as we keep the Cullitons, Lacey Dyer, and Nancy Williams Watt (whose scripts I've been REALLY enjoying since she changed over to script writing) I think we'll be good.

blueskies
Member Avatar

After I got my hopes up so high for mardar, I'm nervous to do so again. And I even think mardar are half decent. At least I see the characters again and not the actors. Higley was truly bad, when I only see actors saying lines and not the characters they're supposed to be, it's really terrible.

Anyway I like Gary so I'm willing to give him a shot, but I'm holding onto my pessimism this time.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Glad to see fran myers back at days....good move Tomlin/whitesell
Edited by Mitchapalooza, May 13 2012, 02:38 AM.

DayDreamer
Member Avatar
Fan of EJ+ABBY!

Why is it a good move? Anyone care to explain?

lastDays
Member Avatar

In other words, wash-rinse-repeat Are we suppose to be excited and relieved that Days is going to look similar to the way it did a couple of years ago?

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Hologram
May 13 2012, 07:29 AM
Why is it a good move? Anyone care to explain?
She's the script editor. Its her job to make sure the continuity flows between and within scripts since each script is written by different script writers. You shouldn't be able to spot a good script editor, because all the episodes just flow. For that reason you can spot a bad script editor too.

Fran Myers is ok. Her son John S Newman is a hack (he wrote scripts for the show upto December last year). Both are friends of Tomlin and he might be coming back too now...

happy
Member Avatar

Kind of sad that I'm more interested in reading about back stage drama than reading recaps or spoilers for what's happening on screen. I honestly can't bring myself to care. Nothing matters or has real consequences on this show. And each regime change completely wipes out what happened before. Jamey Giddons had a good rant about this on the latest DC podcast. He called DOOL a comic book. ITA.

The only name I know here beside the Cullitons is Lorraine Broderick. As new breakdown writer, I hope she is able to better pace the show and intermix the canvas so all the characters aren't continually isolated in their various pods. I wish she had been head writing during the reboot rather than MarDar. I'm still so bitter that the amazing reboot opportunity was squandered because of MarDar.

leela46
Member Avatar

I think Lorainne Broderick will make a big difference in getting the show to flow better. One of my biggest gripes with MarDar is the pacing of the stories. It's even worse than under Higley. I'm still hoping that Broderick eventually becomes at least a co-headwriter. I long to see character based writing again.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Does anyone even care anymore? LOL.

The writers on this show don't matter.

They're puppets for KC.
Edited by King, May 13 2012, 12:14 PM.

happy
Member Avatar

I really don't think KC is in charge anymore. He blew all his political capital on the reboot, which failed. Not because of the cast but because of MarDar.

ChampagneRiver
Member Avatar

Sony has updated the production credits page for DAYS here.

Looks like Lacey Dyer and Nancy Williams Watt are out as scriptwriters and Janet Iacobuzio is back in, as well as some other changes to the writing staff.

Romancer66

Oh, goody. Iacobuzio and Whitesell produced some truly horrendous stuff as interim headwriters for GH back in the mid '90s. Hearing they'll be working together on DAYS and that some of the better scriptwriters are being let go does not fill me with confidence. What a mess.
Edited by Romancer66, May 16 2012, 11:30 PM.

mer4santo
Member Avatar

King
May 13 2012, 12:13 PM
Does anyone even care anymore? LOL.

The writers on this show don't matter.

They're puppets for KC.
And NBC.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I'm extremely pissed about Lacey Dyer being out because she has consistantly turned in solid & enjoyable scripts ever since I started keep track of who wrote what. IMO, this is a big loss for DAYS.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply