Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Updated: Younger actor, actress moved to Creative Arts Emmy night
Topic Started: May 23 2012, 02:19 AM (2,540 Views)
darraholic
Member Avatar

It is Christina from Real Housewives of Vancouver.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

darraholic
May 30 2012, 04:06 AM
It is Christina from Real Housewives of Vancouver.
No wonder you like her... she looks like ED. ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

philip&stephanie
May 29 2012, 06:53 PM
Mitchapalooza
May 29 2012, 06:25 PM
Renegade_Killerbee
May 29 2012, 05:37 PM
I am by no means a Lanie fan (I don't even know if that is the correct fan name given to Lily and Cane), yet I don't see Christel Khalil losing this year. This will be her fourth nomination and I know she only has a year or two left to be eligible in this category.

Even though this is his second nod, I don't think Chandler Massey has this one in the bag. The Emmy panel is kinda stubborn when handing out trophies to daytime's young gay "pioneers."

It took All My Children's Eden Riegel four nominations before they finally gave her the Outstanding Younger Actress prize and poor Van Hansis -- 10x more talented than Massey -- was nominated twice for Younger Actor and never took home the prize on As the World Turns, which usually fared very well at the Emmys. Chad Duell has paid his dues, so to speak, and will more than likely win in the Younger Actor pavilion.
:blah: :blah: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

GMAFB!

And LOL at "Chad Duell paying his dues"...are you freaking kidding me with that statement?

Khalil's tape is not the best of the bunch, but she will probably win becaus she is "due".
Who's tape do you think is the best of the bunch in the Younger Actress Category. I really want Shelley Hennig to win, but I have not seen any of the other tapes except Molly Burnett (which in my opinion was nothing special). Do you think Shelley Hennig has a chance at winning.
I have watched all the tapes and all 4 tapes are arguably good.

My DAYS bias aside...I was most impressed with Hennig tape...I would rank her number one.

Khalil's tape that got her the pre-nomination was much better IMO than the one she has submitted for nomination/winning contention....I think she made a misstep there.

Molly Burnett's first tape was HORRID, but she switched it for a MUCH strong tape...in fact, I think it improved her odds of winning by a huge margin.

If I had to rank

1.) Shelley Hennig
2.) Christel Khalil
3.) Molly Burnett
4.) Jaqeline McInnis Woods

As for the exper predictions, those are not just based on the tapes, a lot of those predictions are based on "due" factor and what shows they are from. DAYS hardly EVER wins acting emmy's, so naturally they SHOULD be ranked probably last, regardless of actual material submitted.

For Hennig to be nominated speaks volumes IMO, because she was barely on the show in 2011 and did not really make a huge huge impact on the show during her time there...so I think her nomination is because her tape was very impressive.

I feel like Khalil will win though only because she has been nominated so many times before and because she actually did submit good material this year....albeit not the best material of the 4, but good enough material to backup a win after 4 or 5 failed attempts.

I hope I am wrong though, because the best tape should win the Emmy, and if that is the case than Hennig would be the one making the acceptance speech.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, May 30 2012, 11:40 AM.

OliveAnn

I won't quote everyone above, but I'll just add my two cents re: experts' predictions.

#1. Soap journalists differ in one way from journalists who cover primetime TV: they're friends with actors and therefore biased. The second I saw Nelson Branco's name among them, I stopped reading. Nelson is so biased I wouldn't trust an obituary written by him, let alone anything else. I didn't look at his predictions for Lead Actress, but even so, I know he chose Crystal Chappell as a winner. Need I say more?

#2. I agree a lot of people are discarting SH simply because she was on only 17(!) episodes last year, whereas all other nominees were on their respective soaps throughout the year. But, let's not forget one thing: all it takes is just one episode. So, if SH could get nominated over all other prenominees with just that one episode, then who says she can't win it all?

#3. I don't believe in "paying dues". If Emmys did that, Victoria Wyndham and Deidre Hall would be Emmy winners, Lexi Ainsworth would've been nominated to make up for last year and Susan Lucci would not have won on her 19th, but 4th or 5th nomination. So, whoever wins, be it SH or CK, it will be because they had the best tape.
Edited by OliveAnn, May 30 2012, 11:58 AM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

OliveAnn
May 30 2012, 11:56 AM
I won't quote everyone above, but I'll just add my two cents re: experts' predictions.

#1. Soap journalists differ in one way from journalists who cover primetime TV: they're friends with actors and therefore biased. The second I saw Nelson Branco's name among them, I stopped reading. Nelson is so biased I wouldn't trust an obituary written by him, let alone anything else. I didn't look at his predictions for Lead Actress, but even so, I know he chose Crystal Chappell as a winner. Need I say more?

#2. I agree a lot of people are discarting SH simply because she was on only 17(!) episodes last year, whereas all other nominees were on their respective soaps throughout the year. But, let's not forget one thing: all it takes is just one episode. So, if SH could get nominated over all other prenominees with just that one episode, then who says she can't win it all?

#3. I don't believe in "paying dues". If Emmys did that, Victoria Wyndham and Deidre Hall would be Emmy winners, Lexi Ainsworth would've been nominated to make up for last year and Susan Lucci would not have won on her 19th, but 4th or 5th nomination. So, whoever wins, be it SH or CK, it will be because they had the best tape.
The the last part of #3 is true than how in the ding dong hell do you explain Vanessa Marcil's win in Supporting Actress a few years back...she by far had the WORST tape.

There is NO WAY IN HELL the best tape wins it all....

darraholic
Member Avatar

Look at that chick who won Younger Actress last year from AMC. Nobody was picking her to win. Than bam her named was called.

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 4 younger actresses win. Although, I'd be pissed if Molly won.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

The best tape does not win. It never has been that way. That's the way it should be but "best" is subjective. I'm sure there's been 10-12 times where almost all of us could agree that someone's tape was epic and probably deserved it more than the rest but that's still a small portion. Everyone has different tastes. The voters also have friends and some of them just have respect. Erika Slezak's tape is very good and could win in most years but I don't think she has the best reel. I can say that I'm honestly pulling for her. So its a double-edged sword. I'm pulling for Shelley and I think her tape is best but some people might want to give it to Christel Khalil because she's on the much bigger show and has been nominated in this category like 500 times now. Plus her tape is strong, just not as strong. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. If ES gets the sentimental Emmy you won't hear a peep out of my mouth, I'll be celebrating like crazy. The only thing that bothers me is when someone TOTALLY undeserving wins, but again that is usually subjective. There's no better way to do these awards so I can't really complain. I don't think actors should ever get to vote though. There should really be a "soap press" but this should have been done decades ago when the genre was huge. Now I can only think of maybe 5 or 6 people. Michael Logan, Jamey Giddens, Luke Kerr, Michael Fairman, Roger Newcomb, Damon Jacobs and a few others. No one currently on a soap should ever be able to vote, it isn't fair and it can't be fair.

OliveAnn

Yes, the best tape doesn't always win. And there are hunders of examples for that. That's the part I forgot to include because I was too focused on the CK vs. SH debate. My bad. But, sadly, even that fact is still an argument for my theory against "paying dues". So, all we can do is sit back and watch and hope for a fair outcome.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

If these 4 shows survive another year and this upcoming Emmys is a total bust then I hope they just scrap the Emmy format. I hope the people I listed about (Giddens, Logan, Kerr, Newcomb, etc) create some sort of award show for the actors to celebrate the best in the business. Who knows if the actors would actually embrace it since it won't be on the level of the Emmys but it would be much of an honor, IMO. I would rather get an award from "critics" than my best friends and friends of my best friends. I would also rather have a nice rewarding evening that's all about ME and my genre of entertainment than have something that's more based on Ellen, Oprah, and anything that isn't SOAP related. Not that Ellen, Oprah, etc aren't deserving people but they have totally disregarded soaps and I'm done with it.
Edited by DiMeraFan67, May 30 2012, 12:55 PM.

philip&stephanie

Mitchapalooza
May 30 2012, 11:38 AM
philip&stephanie
May 29 2012, 06:53 PM
Mitchapalooza
May 29 2012, 06:25 PM
Renegade_Killerbee
May 29 2012, 05:37 PM
I am by no means a Lanie fan (I don't even know if that is the correct fan name given to Lily and Cane), yet I don't see Christel Khalil losing this year. This will be her fourth nomination and I know she only has a year or two left to be eligible in this category.

Even though this is his second nod, I don't think Chandler Massey has this one in the bag. The Emmy panel is kinda stubborn when handing out trophies to daytime's young gay "pioneers."

It took All My Children's Eden Riegel four nominations before they finally gave her the Outstanding Younger Actress prize and poor Van Hansis -- 10x more talented than Massey -- was nominated twice for Younger Actor and never took home the prize on As the World Turns, which usually fared very well at the Emmys. Chad Duell has paid his dues, so to speak, and will more than likely win in the Younger Actor pavilion.
:blah: :blah: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

GMAFB!

And LOL at "Chad Duell paying his dues"...are you freaking kidding me with that statement?

Khalil's tape is not the best of the bunch, but she will probably win becaus she is "due".
Who's tape do you think is the best of the bunch in the Younger Actress Category. I really want Shelley Hennig to win, but I have not seen any of the other tapes except Molly Burnett (which in my opinion was nothing special). Do you think Shelley Hennig has a chance at winning.
I have watched all the tapes and all 4 tapes are arguably good.

My DAYS bias aside...I was most impressed with Hennig tape...I would rank her number one.

Khalil's tape that got her the pre-nomination was much better IMO than the one she has submitted for nomination/winning contention....I think she made a misstep there.

Molly Burnett's first tape was HORRID, but she switched it for a MUCH strong tape...in fact, I think it improved her odds of winning by a huge margin.

If I had to rank

1.) Shelley Hennig
2.) Christel Khalil
3.) Molly Burnett
4.) Jaqeline McInnis Woods

As for the exper predictions, those are not just based on the tapes, a lot of those predictions are based on "due" factor and what shows they are from. DAYS hardly EVER wins acting emmy's, so naturally they SHOULD be ranked probably last, regardless of actual material submitted.

For Hennig to be nominated speaks volumes IMO, because she was barely on the show in 2011 and did not really make a huge huge impact on the show during her time there...so I think her nomination is because her tape was very impressive.

I feel like Khalil will win though only because she has been nominated so many times before and because she actually did submit good material this year....albeit not the best material of the 4, but good enough material to backup a win after 4 or 5 failed attempts.

I hope I am wrong though, because the best tape should win the Emmy, and if that is the case than Hennig would be the one making the acceptance speech.
You know what is funny Molly Burnett and Shelley Hennig submitted scenes from the exact same episode January 10, 2011. I agree that Molly' submission is stronger than what she originally submitted, but her scenes in my opinion still can't compare to Shelley's.

philip&stephanie

soapcentral.com just had their own expert panel. There were five people on the panel 2 voted for Christel, 2 voted for Shelley, and 1 voted for Molly. So I am feeling a little more confident about Shelley Hennig's chances.

ratfink
Member Avatar

i am newbie, where do I see the nominees clips? Thank You

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
May 30 2012, 12:54 PM
If these 4 shows survive another year and this upcoming Emmys is a total bust then I hope they just scrap the Emmy format. I hope the people I listed about (Giddens, Logan, Kerr, Newcomb, etc) create some sort of award show for the actors to celebrate the best in the business. Who knows if the actors would actually embrace it since it won't be on the level of the Emmys but it would be much of an honor, IMO. I would rather get an award from "critics" than my best friends and friends of my best friends. I would also rather have a nice rewarding evening that's all about ME and my genre of entertainment than have something that's more based on Ellen, Oprah, and anything that isn't SOAP related. Not that Ellen, Oprah, etc aren't deserving people but they have totally disregarded soaps and I'm done with it.
We produce the Indie Soap Awards and this year it was actually nicer than the past few Daytime Emmys. Aside from being a fancy party and fun event (with clips!), the entire night was about celebrating soap operas on the web and there was such an uplifting mood in the crowd. There wasn't a single minute that was about something else (Las Vegas included!) With the Daytime Emmys, people party and have fun but there's also an underlying sense of doom and gloom. The fact that the who has been in limbo the past several years doesn't help. I would LOVE to produce a Daytime Soap Awards show to really honor the best of today and the legends that deserve special recognition. I am spending this summer securing advertisers for next February's Indie Soap Awards. We closed the show this year by filling the auditorium with bubbles.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

RogerNewcomb
Jun 4 2012, 08:32 AM
DiMeraFan67
We produce the Indie Soap Awards and this year it was actually nicer than the past few Daytime Emmys. Aside from being a fancy party and fun event (with clips!), the entire night was about celebrating soap operas on the web and there was such an uplifting mood in the crowd. There wasn't a single minute that was about something else (Las Vegas included!) With the Daytime Emmys, people party and have fun but there's also an underlying sense of doom and gloom. The fact that the who has been in limbo the past several years doesn't help. I would LOVE to produce a Daytime Soap Awards show to really honor the best of today and the legends that deserve special recognition. I am spending this summer securing advertisers for next February's Indie Soap Awards. We closed the show this year by filling the auditorium with bubbles.
Roger - You were the first person that popped into my mind because while I haven't seen your Indie Soap Awards, I have read hundreds of tweets about how great they are and I have seen a few video clips of things happening there. Everyone seems to be in a very festive mood and it always looks and sounds like such a great time. I need to start supporting more Web Soaps - The Bay is the only one I've ever watched - it seems like a much tighter community. Its sad to say, but I think the Daytime Emmys have totally jumped the shark (years ago) and I don't have a good feeling about this years event. If this year doesn't properly appreciate the soap business I think its time to let go. I know there are some soap stars who don't care and just use it as an excuse to mingle with people that they consider to be "famous", but who is really even at these events anymore?

I would rather see you guys put on a great show supporting SOAPS and showing love to the people with actual talents. I know this couldn't be cheap or easy, but I do have faith that you guys could pull it off and I would hope you would be leading the pack if this ever came to fruition.
Edited by DiMeraFan67, Jun 4 2012, 09:38 AM.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Jun 4 2012, 09:36 AM
RogerNewcomb
Jun 4 2012, 08:32 AM
DiMeraFan67
Roger - You were the first person that popped into my mind because while I haven't seen your Indie Soap Awards, I have read hundreds of tweets about how great they are and I have seen a few video clips of things happening there. Everyone seems to be in a very festive mood and it always looks and sounds like such a great time. I need to start supporting more Web Soaps - The Bay is the only one I've ever watched - it seems like a much tighter community. Its sad to say, but I think the Daytime Emmys have totally jumped the shark (years ago) and I don't have a good feeling about this years event. If this year doesn't properly appreciate the soap business I think its time to let go. I know there are some soap stars who don't care and just use it as an excuse to mingle with people that they consider to be "famous", but who is really even at these events anymore?

I would rather see you guys put on a great show supporting SOAPS and showing love to the people with actual talents. I know this couldn't be cheap or easy, but I do have faith that you guys could pull it off and I would hope you would be leading the pack if this ever came to fruition.
Zimmer told me at the ISAs in 2011 that it felt like the early days of the Daytime Emmys, more of a collaborative industry event. This year we were able to double the size of the theater but maintain that same feel. Daytime TV hasn't felt like a community in years and that hasn't helped the Emmys. Many of the biggest stars won't attend. I hate to be a cynic (usually not), and not saying he's not deserving, but when I read Bill Geddie was getting the Lifetime Achievement Award this year, the first thought that popped into my head was, "They're doing this so Barbara Walter will show up."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply