Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dallas: Season 15; Series Premiere on June 13!
Topic Started: May 28 2012, 09:50 AM (12,555 Views)
KMan101
Member Avatar

I don't really care that Elena was 'forced in'. HOWEVER, they should have said she came around the time the show was off the air. I'd have bought it more, but I really didn't even think much about her history after the first few minutes. Meh. A minor sticking point. I love how the characters are all 'grey'. They are all interesting to me. The writing was SO much better than I ever expected. I really felt like Dallas never went off the air.

And about Sue Ellen? I really don't see the big gripe that she's changed. People do get over being a complete and utter mess. I really have no desire to see Sue Ellen in the gutter again. I felt they REALLY bled it to death in the old series. I'm NOT liking Sue Ellen as this happy do-gooder though. I want more of an edge. A fight out of her. Tell us HOW she became so powerful. I also choose to believe Sue Ellen's probably a total mess behind closed doors. She can't be this put together. There has to be more to her. But, I doubt we will ever see Sue Ellen the drunkard again. I do want it brought up and maybe even have her tempted again. I just don't think Linda Gray will ever play that Sue Ellen again so I'm forcing myself not to dwell on it. I'm just glad she's a part of it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kriss4

I started getting into it when JR spoke to John Ross. It added spice. I also really liked Christopher. Haven't decided about John Ross yet. I mean, it's clear he's a backstabber with a big agenda, but he still has a lot to learn. He got schooled a couple of times. However, he did pull a fast one on his daddy, didn't he? He's a bundle of potential, despite his youth.

Christopher's a good guy, like Bobby. A core of honor there, but no pushover. Elena really loves him. John Ross asked her to spy for him, but ultimately, she didn't reveal what Christopher had told her. She kept that secret, even though Christopher thought she was the one who told.

Who sent the email? My money's on Rebecca's brother or Rebecca herself.

What I'm not sure I like is that in the old show, even when Bobby and JR fought, you KNEW that they cared about each other and they respected their parents. They'd fight terribly and JR would take advantage of Bobby...but he'd reveal that Bobby mattered in other moments. Christopher really respects Bobby, but I'm not sure John Ross respects either of his parents.

When John Ross revealed that he wanted Miss Ellie declared mentally incompetent, JR didn't blink. I'd think he wouldn't want his Mama characterized that way. I'd think he'd have said something about that. Family was important to JR...He just had the weirdest way of showing it when there was a deal to be made. <g>

I'd also like to see some affection between John Ross and Christopher at some point, like I did with JR and Bobby, so that things aren't simple sometimes and they're both conflicted at times.

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Cameron Mathison chatting up the crew about tonight's premiere, if you wanna stay spoiler free might not wanna watch also got some twitter questions going.

http://www.dallastnt.com/series/dallas/roundup/

Mason
Member Avatar

I don't need to see Sue Ellen hit rock bottom or go on another drinking binge. But that woman that was all smiles and warmth and sunshine, generously offering Elena millions of dollars out of the goodness of her heart? That wasn't Sue Ellen. At her core, Sue Ellen is a selfish, self-absorbed snob with no consideration for others -- that's something that should not be changing, and it's completely unrealistic to me that that is how the Sue Ellen we met in 1978 would turn out 30 years later. Honestly, if they can't write Sue Ellen true to her character, I'd truly rather she not even be part of the show at all.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Love the backstabbing.

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

So Far It Good, Love it!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Epic. Epic. Epic. This is a star making turn for Josh Henderson if I've ever seen one.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Henderson and Metcalfe really surprised me. Both men gave great performances as the next generation of Ewing men. Both have come a far way from their starting points.

Mason
Member Avatar

I still think he's miscast as Christopher, but Metcalfe did do a much better job than I was expecting him to.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

It was great to see Lucy and Ray, but really, their "returns" were pretty pointless.

Anita

Loved that everything was very soapy – the double-crossing and backstabbing at every turn. I don’t mind that Elena was “forced in”; she has great potential. I also feel that Rebecca sent that e-mail. Loved Bobby and Christopher, but can’t warm up to John Ross; it may be the actor.

Daytime
Member Avatar

I think Billy Miller was almost cast as John Ross.. It came down between him and the dude they have now.. I think Miller would have killed it. But this other guy is good too. :)

hawk_osu
Member Avatar

I hadn't heard that about Billy Miller. Honestly I would have loved to have seen Billy Miller as John Ross and Josh Henderson as Christopher. I am not 100% feeling Jesse Metcalfe as Christopher.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Like the majority, I went into this thing expecting to hate it what with everything I had heard (Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, etc. being sidelined in supporting roles) while the younger set stole the limelight.

But I actually enjoyed the Four J's (Josh, Jesse, Jordana and Julie). I think Jordana Brewster's Elena character is the one to watch. If they write well enough for her and take this in the direction they were trying to take Sue Ellen in circa 1979, she could be a very well fleshed out bitch-on-wheels. Not the kind we see today on our daytime shows but one who has good reason to be a b&#%.

Nice surprise to see Charlene Tilton, granted it was only 10 seconds worth of airtime. RuPaul and Tilton's drag mamas probably hated her makeup though. Ha

Also, what's the story with Rebecca? Is she named after Cliff and Pamela's mother who died 29 years ago or is this just a coincedence? Hmmmm

LONG LIVE THE GREATEST PRIME-TIME TV SHOW OF ALL-TIME!!!

KMan101
Member Avatar

I agree. I would have liked a different actor as Christopher HOWEVER, Jesse Metcalfe REALLY surprised me. I like him in the role, even if he is wrong for the character. Same for Josh Henderson. I love how desperate John Ross is to be the top dawg but he's still just too young to realize.

JR schooled him at every turn and I loved it. I also don't blame John Ross for not being close to his parents. JR was 'depressed' over who knows how long and Sue Ellen was a hot mess when he was a kid and sent him away as a teenager.

However, they say John Ross went to boarding school so how did he "grow up" with Christopher and Elena? Really? Minor nitpick I guess. I think we're to assume until they were teenagers, however ... we saw them as kids LOL. Whatever.

It really bugged me that JR just let John Ross file that court document that said Miss Ellie was senile. Why wouldn't he just outright slap his son right there for that? Granted, JR never let family get in the way of business, but really ...

Those were my sticking points lol and I'm like REALLY nitpicking.

I loved it. I thought it was a great relaunch of Dallas and I'm so happy with the results. The writing was far better than I imagined. Production was great. I didn't hate any of the casting they did. I know some aren't sold on Brenda Strong but I like her as Ann. I do. I dont think she and Duffy have any romantic chemistry but I buy that they love each other. Ann has a lot of potential.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I'm pretty certain Rebecca will turn out to be Afton and Cliff Barnes' daughter. It has to be the reason he was brought back and it's just no coincidence her name is Rebecca. It can't be. And Audrey Landers has already said she would do the new Dallas if asked. Get off yo ass Cidre! Get Landers back!
Edited by KMan101, Jun 14 2012, 10:10 AM.

Mason
Member Avatar

KMan101
Jun 14 2012, 10:07 AM
It really bugged me that JR just let John Ross file that court document that said Miss Ellie was senile. Why wouldn't he just outright slap his son right there for that? Granted, JR never let family get in the way of business, but really ...
Yes. I can buy J.R. letting John Ross go ahead with that plan for the sake of winning Southfork, but I really needed him to bitchslap John Ross in that moment when he found out about it. What I *really* didn't buy though was the disrespectful way John Ross spoke about Miss Ellie. John Ross resenting his parents is completely reasonable and right, but disgracing Miss Ellie that way? They can't sell that to me.

Quote:

I know some aren't sold on Brenda Strong but I like her as Ann. I do. I dont think she and Duffy have any romantic chemistry but I buy that they love each other. Ann has a lot of potential.

For me, it's not so much the actress at this point as it is the character. I just don't find Ann all that interesting. They're going to have to do something about that.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

KMan101
Jun 14 2012, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty certain Rebecca will turn out to be Afton and Cliff Barnes' daughter. It has to be the reason he was brought back and it's just no coincidence her name is Rebecca. It can't be. And Audrey Landers has already said she would do the new Dallas if asked. Get off yo ass Cidre! Get Landers back!

So -- although not by blood, since Christopher was adopted, he might be married to his cousin?

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I've been debating whether this has anything to do with the reunion movies or not. IMO, this could very well be just a continuation of the TV series, ignoring the movies (much like H20 was a sequel of Halloween 1 & 2, ignoring 3+). OR I've also heard that it's a "reboot" sequel that only picks & chooses what parts of the original series continues as cannon (i.e. until the mention it specifically on Dallas 2.0, it may or may not have actually happened even if we saw it on Dallas 1.0).

I regards to JR's depression, I'm wondering if it might not be tied to losing Ewing Oil (which was briefly touched on). Once he heard about John Ross finding such a large & profitable oil reserve under South Fork and the prospect of "coming back", it's what put that old spark in his step.

Mason
Member Avatar

Matt
Jun 14 2012, 10:20 AM
I've been debating whether this has anything to do with the reunion movies or not. IMO, this could very well be just a continuation of the TV series, ignoring the movies (much like H20 was a sequel of Halloween 1 & 2, ignoring 3+). OR I've also heard that it's a "reboot" sequel that only picks & chooses what parts of the original series continues as cannon (i.e. until the mention it specifically on Dallas 2.0, it may or may not have actually happened even if we saw it on Dallas 1.0).
I think this show is pretty much being written as if the reunion movies never happened, which (at least in the case of J.R. Returns) annoys me no end.

What I'm really wondering is if J.R. and Bobby's other children from the later years of the series (James, Lucas, J.R.'s baby with Cally) will ever come into play....not that I necessarily ever need to see James again.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply