Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dallas: Season 15; Series Premiere on June 13!
Topic Started: May 28 2012, 09:50 AM (12,415 Views)
Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I just finished both episodes. There are issues, but I liked them. I can't say I'm on the edge of my seat by any means though waiting for next week. (But I'll still be back)

I actually loved this finished version of the opening. Cast shots aren't needed.

I agree with Larry Jacobs in that Christopher should have been the evil one. And with that, Jesse Metcalf still sucks Harmony balls! The livestock had more life. Perhaps if they revisit his paternity and make him JR's son afterall it could give him some edge.

I just ... I don't know how to put it into words. Something feels missing. Like the days before Heather Locklear on Melrose or Barnabas on Dark Shadows. There's some elusive element that's missing from all of this making it catch fire for me. Hopefully they figure out whatever that is by the end of the season.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

It was confirmed (I think by Patrick Duffy) in last week's TV Guide that they are playing this as if the mid-1990's mini-series/movies never happened.

Considering the fact that I began watching from day one as a seven year old boy in 1978 (my grandmother made me watch with her), I was always bummed to never see the reunion movies or whatever they were but now I'm glad I didn't see them.

Mason
Member Avatar

Renegade_Killerbee
Jun 14 2012, 10:30 AM
It was confirmed (I think by Patrick Duffy) in last week's TV Guide that they are playing this as if the mid-1990's mini-series/movies never happened.

Considering the fact that I began watching from day one as a seven year old boy in 1978 (my grandmother made me watch with her), I was always bummed to never see the reunion movies or whatever they were but now I'm glad I didn't see them.
War of the Ewings was totally worthless, but J.R. Returns provided a much better wrap-up for the first series (and set-up for a potential new series) than the last season of the original Dallas ever did, which is the main reason I'm annoyed that it's being written off as never having happened.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Renegade_Killerbee
Jun 14 2012, 10:19 AM
KMan101
Jun 14 2012, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty certain Rebecca will turn out to be Afton and Cliff Barnes' daughter. It has to be the reason he was brought back and it's just no coincidence her name is Rebecca. It can't be. And Audrey Landers has already said she would do the new Dallas if asked. Get off yo ass Cidre! Get Landers back!

So -- although not by blood, since Christopher was adopted, he might be married to his cousin?
Eeeh, I hope that's not the case. Cliff was always been a shifty ass wipe but ultimately it was always in the name of family. I just couldn't see him doing that to a Barnes, especially after he's already taken Ewing Oil.

And my memory's foggy ... didn't Afton die?
Edited by Drew, Jun 14 2012, 10:35 AM.

Mason
Member Avatar

Drew
Jun 14 2012, 10:33 AM
And my memory's foggy ... didn't Afton die?
Nope. As of J.R. Returns (but since that's no longer canon, apparently, as of the 1989-1990 season), she was still alive.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Mason
Jun 14 2012, 10:33 AM
Renegade_Killerbee
Jun 14 2012, 10:30 AM

War of the Ewings was totally worthless, but J.R. Returns provided a much better wrap-up for the first series (and set-up for a potential new series) than the last season of the original Dallas ever did, which is the main reason I'm annoyed that it's being written off as never having happened.
Props to you, I couldn't make it past season 10.

The dream cliffhanger really wrecked everything for me.

Mason
Member Avatar

It sounds like the show did pretty well in the ratings last night: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/06/14/tnts-dallas-rides-tall-with-6-9-million-viewers-ranking-as-the-yearss-number-1-scripted-cable-premiere/138150/

It will be interesting to see how much of that audience it retains next week. Hopefully there's not a steep drop.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Jun 14 2012, 11:41 AM
It sounds like the show did pretty well in the ratings last night: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/06/14/tnts-dallas-rides-tall-with-6-9-million-viewers-ranking-as-the-yearss-number-1-scripted-cable-premiere/138150/

It will be interesting to see how much of that audience it retains next week. Hopefully there's not a steep drop.
I hope they're able to maintain most of those numbers as well. The show was pretty good and much better than I expected it to be.

hawk_osu
Member Avatar

I hate the fact that Christopher's wife is named Rebecca and that her brother is Tommy. Because of the simple fact we had Rebecca Wentworth. Something I just realized though - is Cliff knew Afton had a child, but wasn't it in one of the TV movies that it was revealed she was Cliff's daughter. If that is the case and because they are ignoring the movies - that never happened!

I also agree with the whomever said that Christopher should have been the evil child. He should have been so hellbent on "proving" his place in the Ewing family. There is also storyline potential in the fact that Christopher is Sue Ellen's nephew - I hope they play on that more in the series. I could have seen John Ross as the one who tried to save the Ewing name and make it better after everything JR did and then eventually realize, the line he delivered last night, "I'll always be JR's son to them."

I too did not like the Miss Ellie disrespect. Miss Ellie was and will forever be the heart and soul of Dallas and of Southfork. Disrespecting her is just down right crass!

Also I want them to explore the "long lost Ewing children." I want Lucy to speak up and have a voice. And technically John Ross is not the first born Ewing grandson, sorry that title goes to James! He is the first born. I would love to see James (but no Sasha, please recast) mixing it up with this crew! Lucas Krebbs (Bobby's son with Jenna) is desperately needed to go toe-to-toe with Christopher and John Ross over his birth right. There is so much story!!!!!

Mason
Member Avatar

hawk_osu
Jun 14 2012, 12:12 PM
I hate the fact that Christopher's wife is named Rebecca and that her brother is Tommy. Because of the simple fact we had Rebecca Wentworth. Something I just realized though - is Cliff knew Afton had a child, but wasn't it in one of the TV movies that it was revealed she was Cliff's daughter. If that is the case and because they are ignoring the movies - that never happened!
It was revealed to the viewers during the original series that Pamela Rebecca was Cliff's daughter, but Afton lied to him that he wasn't the father. I don't think it was until J.R. Returns that it was actually confirmed to Cliff that he was the child's father, but it was clearly established that he was before the reunion movies.

Quote:

I also agree with the whomever said that Christopher should have been the evil child. He should have been so hellbent on "proving" his place in the Ewing family. There is also storyline potential in the fact that Christopher is Sue Ellen's nephew - I hope they play on that more in the series. I could have seen John Ross as the one who tried to save the Ewing name and make it better after everything JR did and then eventually realize, the line he delivered last night, "I'll always be JR's son to them."

Yeah, I really want to see more internal conflict within John Ross over his actions in the future. I felt like he was written as too intense and evil in the first two episodes, as if the writers want him to top even J.R. in conniving and ruthlessness.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Afton is still alive. At the start of season eight (September, 1984), during the Who Shot Bobby? fiasco, Afton goes to visit Pam. They go sit out by Pam's pool and Afton tells her she is leaving Cliff and Dallas for good. Pam tries to convince her to stay but realizes Cliff has hurt her and would never appreciate her.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I enjoyed the two episodes last night. I didn't watch the original series, but know bits of the background of the show. Loved all the backstabbing and you don't know who is working for who. Totally understand some complaints about it but it definitely has potential. If I remember correctly this isn't a super long season so maybe they will go more in depth if the show continues on and we see things about Sue Ellen. It would be a good story if in public she is all put together but then we find out behind closed doors she is a total mess. You saw a little something when JR made that comment about her still being the prettiest at the ball still.

One thing that they did with new characters is that they intertwined their story with the older characters. Right from the start they were all interacting with each other and their stories twisted together. It actually felt like it was just a continuation from a previous season.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

I really like Julie Gonzalo's character Rebecca. Interested to see where they go with her backstory.

KMan101
Member Avatar

So decent numbers. TNTs demo is 25-54. So not bad numbers. What do the other shows get in that demo on TNT?

KMan101
Member Avatar

And yes Ann was boring. We meet her ex husband at some point this season.

Kriss4

I liked Jordana Brewster. She has a spark, and she can do vulnerability well, too.

Torn between the cousins.

dragonflies
Member Avatar

Mason
Jun 14 2012, 12:12 AM
I still think he's miscast as Christopher, but Metcalfe did do a much better job than I was expecting him to.
actually I think Metcalfe was great as Christopher, the miscast one is JH as John Ross

Mason
Member Avatar

dragonflies
Jun 14 2012, 06:22 PM
Mason
I still think he's miscast as Christopher, but Metcalfe did do a much better job than I was expecting him to.
actually I think Metcalfe was great as Christopher, the miscast one is JH as John Ross
I don't agree with that at all. Although I think he needs to tone it down at times and maybe play the character as being more conflicted (even though that's not necessarily in the writing), I think he's a great fit for the role. I've seen it suggested elsewhere and I agree that just about the only actor more perfect for John Ross would be Vincent Kartheiser (Pete on Mad Men).

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Mason
Jun 14 2012, 06:36 PM
dragonflies
Jun 14 2012, 06:22 PM
Mason
I don't agree with that at all. Although I think he needs to tone it down at times and maybe play the character as being more conflicted (even though that's not necessarily in the writing), I think he's a great fit for the role. I've seen it suggested elsewhere and I agree that just about the only actor more perfect for John Ross would be Vincent Kartheiser (Pete on Mad Men).
As in the kid who ruined Angel? No thanks.

alexandria dimera

i loved it me and my friends have been sooo excited it is like it never left that is writing we see everyones motivation for their plots and schemes daytime soap you need to take a look at what soap writing is about get schooled because i am hooked best reboot in years.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply