Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Joseph Mascolo Speaks Out About Being Written Out of Salem...for now; June 11th issue
Topic Started: May 31 2012, 12:45 PM (8,998 Views)
SoapGal1
Member Avatar

LOVE LOVE LOVE Joe M!!! :wub:

I'm liking the angst between Stefano & EJ, but Joe's right there's NO WAY it would be because EJ isn't his biological son. MarDar should've done their homework, they could've come up with something else to provide the angst.

State needed a re-do IMO. They should've shown the push-pull w/ them regarding Stefano forcing Kate to marry him & her hating him for it and slowly falling in love. Instead we got insta-love, so I'm okay with them being pulled apart but they definetly need to find their way back together.

Thanks for posting Soc!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Well...Mascolo sure isn't happy about certain stories. I don't blame him about getting angry with MarDar's decision to un-DiMera EJ. That is just stupid. Mascolo and Scott have great father/son chemistry. I do disagree about his being upset about being responsible for Lexie's illness. I thought that was actually a good angle for MarDar to take. They took an aspect of history we actually saw and used it to tell future story. No, it wasn't Stefano that held Lexie down there, but he is the one that unleashed Andre on Salem, so I can totally understand why Abe holds Stefano responsible. As far as we know, Andre is dead. Abe can't seek revenge on him, so he's turning to the next best thing: Stefano.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

As for Stefano and Kate, I like them together, but their marriage became one of romance overnight, literally. In the beginning, Kate felt trapped and they played it that way a lot at first. But then, all of a sudden, Kate is a devoted and loyal, happy mob wife. It came out of nowhere! That's one thing I'm dreading once Tomlin/Whitesell return. Kate is going to leave the business world behind again and only appear in the DiMera mansion, being wifey to Stefano and stepmommy to EJ, offering advice when she's "allowed" to and leaving the room the minute man business needs to be discussed.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Yeah, the Lexie angle I can deal with but I still think they rushed through that beat as well. It adds to the tragic nature of the Dimera family.

State CAN work if they play the tension there. They can have feelings for each other but it needs to be more complex than that. I like when they broke up after Stefano learned that Kate played a role in Sami shooting EJ. They need to give them material like that. Their loyalty to each other should always be in question yet they still love each other because they are one in the same and see something in each other that they admire and love. The last regime got it AT TIMES. MarDar didn't get it AT ALL.

Beth
Member Avatar

I agree with everything Joe said 100%.

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

I adore Kate/Stefano as a couple. Joe/Lauren have amazing chemistry maybe when Joe returns if he does they will find their way back to one another. That is what I hope for. This time if they do reunite I want to see more of them as a couple. I know the reunion between them would be good if they decide to go there. I really hope they do. Maybe Stefano will come to his senses and realize what Kate means to him.

lysie
Member Avatar

You know....aside from the writing of the EJ/Stefano stuff, no one had really been complaining about the writing for Stefano. Most what I've seen is praise for them giving him his balls back. MarDar are terrible, terrible writers. But that hasn't been reflected in Stefano.

peaches179

lysie
May 31 2012, 01:21 PM
You know....aside from the writing of the EJ/Stefano stuff, no one had really been complaining about the writing for Stefano. Most what I've seen is praise for them giving him his balls back. MarDar are terrible, terrible writers. But that hasn't been reflected in Stefano.

;)

tiki_girl
Member Avatar

He definitely got a lot of airtime from MarDar though...

reagon

I agree 100% with him aside from perhaps this idea that he and Lexie have a pure relationship. I don't think pure can be defined about any of Stefano's relationships but I do agree Stefano has for the most part been about family. And this idiotic EJ not being his son has severed the only relationship EJ has had since his insert that has made a lick of sense and for what. A newbie

And I agree with the Adam Chandler analogy. AMC also had a writer at that time who didn't have a clue about the canvas.

As for State, it's hard to spend time building a relationship and adding angst when the show focused on every fart(pardon me for that term) Sami, EJ, Rafe, and Nicole have made for years. I'd love some storyline balance.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I will say this...it's hard to take Joe seriously because he always seems to complain about most of what they give the character. He even did it in the 80's and 90's in interviews. He reminds me alot of Louise Sorel in that they like to complain sometimes just to complain. I think Joe has reason to complain about MarDar though.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
Are you counting the Stefano/Alice (IOU, safety deposit box etc. stuff) as part of the EJefano storyline? Because I don't remember many people thinking the things in that story he did made any sense.
Edited by six, May 31 2012, 01:31 PM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

It's crazy when the actors can't understand why something is happening!
Don't try to even sugar coat it, Joe!
Hope you'll be back...with a vengence!

lysie
Member Avatar

six
May 31 2012, 01:29 PM
lysie
Are you counting the Stefano/Alice (IOU, safety deposit box etc. stuff) as part of the EJefano storyline?
No but those complaints were about story, not character writing. I don't disagree wih him that his stories have sucked. I disagree that State was some great love story and Stexie have a pure relationship. I've also never agreed that he's all about family, but apparently I'm supposed to believe that. He's all about family when it's convenient for him. But whatever. I don't have an issue with him speaking out, I just think he doesn't have a clue about Stefano.

autumnrain
Member Avatar

I like that he's responsible for Lexie being sick. It's about time something he did came back to bite him in the ass. And him being responsible for the death of one of his own children is one of the worst punishments Stefano could ever receive. But he only needs to feel responsible for a short time until he turns it around on someone else, with a vengeance. Stefano never owns up to his shortcomings. Not when he can twist it around and have it make sense in his mind that the blame lies with someone else. I don't agree with him disowning EJ because of the biological factor. Total BS. Stefano never cared one bit if his kids were his biologically, and for him to turn his back on EJ over it is so OOC. I actually like the chemistry between JM and JS. They play really well off each other.

The whole Kate thing. That's BS, too. At least the way it played out on my screen was. The history between them wasn't such that it's even believable to me that Kate would "love" him. Not without SHOWING me WHY. And the Marlena obsession needs to be a HUGE bone of contention between them. I don't believe for one second that Stefano would EVER "get over" Marlena. If written correctly I might buy that he could care about someone else (Kate), but as a substitute. Marlena should ALWAYS be first with him. And that could be a great source of angst for Kate. Marlena always "wins." If Kristen came back, she and Kate could trade horror stories about Doc, lol.

Love Joe, though. He says what he wants and just doesn't give a shit who he pisses off. LOL
Edited by autumnrain, May 31 2012, 01:44 PM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I am sure he is pissed off because MarDar had intended to KILL his character....its TomSell that is bringing him back...so that is clearly a rewrite....I don't blame him for being pissed off...they essentially were trying to eliminate his job.

If someone tried to do the same to me...I would be pretty pissed off too.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, May 31 2012, 01:39 PM.

autumnrain
Member Avatar

lysie
May 31 2012, 01:34 PM
I've also never agreed that he's all about family, but apparently I'm supposed to believe that. He's all about family when it's convenient for him.
Exactly. Stefano is always out for Stefano, number one. I was rewatching Aremid last week and laughed my ass off when he lifted off in that helicopter and just left poor, nearly unconscious Marlena to the icy rapids. But as much as Stefano is capable of putting anyone else first (well, second, lol), I think that should always be the order. Himself, Marlena, then his kids.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
May 31 2012, 01:34 PM
six
May 31 2012, 01:29 PM
lysie
Are you counting the Stefano/Alice (IOU, safety deposit box etc. stuff) as part of the EJefano storyline?
No but those complaints were about story, not character writing. I don't disagree wih him that his stories have sucked. I disagree that State was some great love story and Stexie have a pure relationship. I've also never agreed that he's all about family, but apparently I'm supposed to believe that. He's all about family when it's convenient for him. But whatever. I don't have an issue with him speaking out, I just think he doesn't have a clue about Stefano.
I disagree that it was only about the story - for one example, there were a lot of complaints that it was OOC for Stefano to help out John for Alice's sake. I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn that I also disagree with your disagreements that state were a solid couple, that Stefano isn't invested in his family (in his own way) and that his love for Lexie was pure. lol
Edited by six, May 31 2012, 01:48 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

But do we know for sure MarDar intended for Stefano to remain dead? They could've been planning to rest the character for a few months and then have him come back.

ProphecyGirl

Good for JM.

MarDar were awful head writers. Not surprising that many actors were probably happy to say goodbye to them.

I hate the decision to change EJ's parentage and hopefully that will be reversed under Tomlin.

I really like State, if done right. JM and LK have great chemistry and State is not some played-out dynamic (a rarity on this show).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply