Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
American Idol: Revamp in the works
Topic Started: May 31 2012, 09:16 PM (2,289 Views)
Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

Rolling Stone reports the owner of American Idol plans a revamp of the show including a possible revamp in the voting and judges.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/american-idol-owners-plan-elvis-presley-projects-show-revamp-20120531?utm_source=dailynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

After this years free fall, they decide to do something. :shame: IMO this was the worst season in it's history
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Rick
Jun 1 2012, 02:45 AM
After this years free fall, they decide to do something. :shame: IMO this was the worst season in it's history
I have only seen 5 season...the first 3 and last yr and this yr...and I 100% agree!

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

After the last few season I think they should have a voting limit like DWTS has.
Edited by Snowing Fan, Jun 1 2012, 01:48 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I think season 9 was MUCH worse than this past season. This season had talent and a few good moments but it lacked contestants with personalities (aside from a few). They also didn't help us connect with the contestants. Aside from the basic information provided when they were all introduced, the show hardly spent any time informing us of who any of them were. It took until top 7 or so to get a firm grasp on who the contestants were. I mean, we hardly got any videos of the contestants interacting like in past years. They also didn't need 2 hour performance shows all season either. They need to go back to 90 minute ones like last season. The biggest thing is the voting process though. That obviously needs to change and should've changed a few seasons ago.

Not sure I would change the judges. Randy is the one who should go but they won't get rid of him as he's become the anchor. I would just tell the judges to ease up on the standing ovation crap and to be more critical. I would also go back to broader, more contemporary themes and make sure each week has a mentor in addition to Jimmy. Season 10 had someone along with Jimmy every week. One week even had Lady Gaga. That mixed things up so they need to go back to that.

I really don't think the ratings drop is that concerning. It seems like many shows went down in the ratings this past TV season. I think Idol would've dropped regardless but, to me, the drop it had was further inflated by the same issues other shows seem to be having because many shows experienced significant drops along with Idol.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

If they're going for a revamp, I think they should get bold.

I would dump the judges entirely after the initial talent search. Lopez and Tyler are great at finding vocalists, imho. They're shit as coaches mentoring people through and guiding the audience vote. I'd allocate the time savings to the performances, so people could actually build a song and show nuance.

I wouldn't change voting beyond including iTunes downloads, and I might count those as 2 texts/phone calls. I'd also see about uploading performances to YouTube or something and counting the number of views (also count them more than a text/phone vote). It's a lot harder to sit through someone's performance 25 times than it is to actually re-watch it.

Frankly though, I think it comes down to the talent pool. They need to raise the age back up, imho (it was so annoying hearing all the "I grew up watching this" bullshit- I'm 32, I don't need a tv show to make me feel old like that). I also think they should rest it for a year. Make it like the Olympics, go once every two years instead. So many shows, I think we're tapped out. Or at least it feels like singing ability is a lot less special/unique, imho.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05
Jun 1 2012, 02:03 PM
I really don't think the ratings drop is that concerning. It seems like many shows went down in the ratings this past TV season. I think Idol would've dropped regardless but, to me, the drop it had was further inflated by the same issues other shows seem to be having because many shows experienced significant drops along with Idol.
Normally, I'd agree, because most veteran shows (unless your NCIS) erode year to year, but at an 8-10% decline. Idol lost a third of their audience this season (30%) and didn't recoup it in DVR numbers. At most it only gained 2-3% each week with Live+7

My problem with the show is the cookie-cutter contestants they keep trying to shove down our throats. We've seen ten Phillip Phillips through the years. I think a lot of viewers have wised up to their bias. It started when Siobhan Magnus was voted off in season nine. She was a viewer fave and critical darling predicted to make the Top three. But you had all the teen girls rallying for Casey James, Aaron Kelly and Lee Dwyze. The biggest week to week drop in Idol history (-5 million) happened the week after she was voted off. Most didn't tune back in for the finale either.

Then it happens again the very next season. You have the uber talented Haley Reinhart who is by far the most popular contestant among viewers, critics and celebs. You know you're amazing when Robert Plant and Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin personally contacts the show and wants you to cover their song. Then you have everyone from Lady Gaga to Tom Hanks showing support for you. And lo and behold, the teen fan girls made sure the country bumpkins were the final two. This season it was SO obvious that the producers and judges wanted Scotty and Alaina as the final two. They were downright cruel to Haley. hell, even Idol's vocal coach Debra Byrd spoke up about all the shit they did to Haley. (Prob why she was fired after that season)

It's a voting system that's been broken for years and needs fixed. We don't need another WGWG winner!

KMan101
Member Avatar

Yeah. Siobhan and Haley were great. I remember Alison Iraheta and even Kris Allen kind of being treated like the wicked stepsiblings compared to Adam and Danny. I was so beyond thrilled when Danny was voted out and while yes Adam is far more talented I was thrilled Kris beat him at the time. I miss feeling invested.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

KMan101
Jun 2 2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah. Siobhan and Haley were great. I remember Alison Iraheta and even Kris Allen kind of being treated like the wicked stepsiblings compared to Adam and Danny. I was so beyond thrilled when Danny was voted out and while yes Adam is far more talented I was thrilled Kris beat him at the time. I miss feeling invested.
That season was one where I was glad that I was on the teenie-girl's side. They helped push Kris over Adam. For me too that was the last time I was invested and actually thought that I had some power in choosing a winner.

The voting does need to change. I would bet there are more AI votes cast than for the President. The number of actual votes compared to the number of actual voters is not proportional. I know Idol doesn't want to do it, but they really need to limit the votes.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

I definitely think the last two seasons were worse than this year's, but this season wasn't that great either.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I stopped watching when JLo and Steven Tyler joined the show - I find them both fake and plastic, just like their music. Show needs better judges...

~bl~
Member Avatar

Interesting about the ratings going down that season after Siobhan Magnus was voted out, as she was my favorite that season because you never knew what you were going to get when she performed.

I think part of what hurt Idol's ratings had nothing to do with Idol's content. Fox put on The X-Factor in the fall, and I think some watched that show and then got over saturated when it comes to music.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Siobhan was a big loss, but I think that was partly her fans fault for posting the wrong voting info to Facebook. That was a rumor at the time. Although...I blame the judges because they wasted their save on Fat Mike, the dude who got airtime because he successfully got someone pregnant, and she gave birth during the season or whatever. Maybe they should get rid of the save as part of the revamp.

That's a good point about X-Factor and viewer fatigue. The market is saturated, which is why I think they should go every two years.

I wonder how that affects the contestants they attract. There are so many options and this show has one type of winner...seems like a smarter bet to go for a different show (X-Factor, The Voice) unless you fit the AI model.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I got her CD from itunes and there's not a bad song on it. Too bad she didn't get popular

King
Member Avatar

I don't think there is much that can be done. It's been twelve years. It's just old now. It's run its course.

It can still churn out really good people, but they're not going to get the ratings they once did. Those days are OVA. DWTS too. Survivor. All of them.
Edited by King, Jun 3 2012, 11:53 PM.

Alin89
Member Avatar

u r so right king. i use to watch the early dwts and now i could hardly careless the same could be said for survivor. i also think bachelor and bachelorette needs to end too.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I don't think DWTS and Survivor are over. I think they're still capable of great seasons. However, one season a year of each would be more than sufficient, IMO. I'd be very OK with that. I think it could force them to put more effort into that one season than two diluted, one messy, one great, season. But then if we get a bad one, it could be a BAAAD one. So ...

The idea behind American Idol is diluted now because there are so many other similar, more interesting programs. Idol needs to limit voting, get some better judges (though I like Steven and Jennifer, they aren't drawing me to watch. Keep Steven. Replace Randy and Jennifer). Steven is good at finding vocalists. We need someone who can look for other components and someone who can call it like it is. Not in a Simon way, you can't duplicate him. I wish Jimmy would be made a judge. But he's said he doesn't want to do it. Even though he should and he has the fans support.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

As a viewer I don't really care about the ratings, necessarily, and whether they can come back and dominate the way they once could. And I tend to agree, it's an old product not likely to see any major revival on that front.

I mostly want to enjoy the show again, not be able to predict the winner without hearing them based solely on archetype and editing. As many other shows as there are out there, none have really lived up to what Idol once was for me.
Edited by px780, Jun 4 2012, 11:54 AM.

King
Member Avatar

I think the days of them being rating blockbusters are over. Not the shows. I think they're still capable of great seasons.

The novelty has worn off though. They're not going to get 20 million viewers anymore.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I have to agree that the days of ANY SHOW getting 20 million regularly per week are over. That is why I don't get all the panic over ratings. It seems like ratings across the board went down. I think so many viewers have flocked to watching their shows online or watching their shows well after their DVR viewership counts in the ratings. I can't tell you how many people I know that sometimes are two weeks or more behind on their watching and have to catch up or they catch up via on demand and that doesn't count either. Any nielson viewers that do that don't count in the ratings so I think that is hurting alot of shows. Also, again, so many have turned to online viewing. I know many that simply watch the performances on youtube so they avoid the filler. That has hurt too. Idol lost ALOT of younger viewers and I think alot of those younger viewers fell into some of the trends I mentioned above.

I don't think the oversaturation of the singing competition market hurt Idol at all. Idol is the one most know and most watch. It's the only one left that has churned out stars and still can. The Voice hasn't. The US X-Factor really hasn't. It still has credibility. I think what helped Idol ratings-wise last year was they had the country music fans tuning in because they had two contestants that the country fans stood behind, one of which developed a HUGE fanbase. He got alot of younger girls to tune in. Philip had a fanbase and alot of young girls on his side but he never seems to have the rabid fanbase Scotty had. This season lacked a Scotty McCreery or David Arculeta or even a Adam Lambert, someone who can bring in a wide audience.

I'm well aware of how awful they've treated some in the past, including Haley. I don't think it's ever intentional though. They seem so set on their agenda that I think they just do things and don't even realize what they are doing and that people are on to them about it. You would think, by now, they would realize people are wise to their manipulation and rebel against it. I don't think that manipulation will ever go away. It's been there since day 1. The difference was that in early seasons it wasn't so obvious. They need to at least make the manipulation more subtle.

I'm not even sure what they can do to change the voting process that will avoid the end results we've gotten. I mean, limiting the voting even has flaws because the voters always seem to find a way around hurdles on this show. I think they have to give the judge's some sort of power in addition to changing the voting if they really want to make much difference.

Also, color me shocked at all the Siobhan fans in this thread. I liked her too but I recall her completely falling off after a few weeks. She really was inconsistent. She had a string of great performances and then had a poor one and seemed to lack confidence after. Personally, I think her personality hurt her. She seems to show it more now than on the show. That whole season was a disaster though. That was by far the worst season the show ever had.

I keep wondering why girls even bother to show up to audition. Hell, I wonder why anyone bothers to show up without a guitar. Your going to keep seeing guys with guitars show up because they know they have a great chance on this show. That is why I like Stephen and agree he should stay on as judge. He always seems to go more for the superior vocalists. Plus, he's entertaining and unpredictable in his commentary. I would just tell him to be a little more critical. I also think Jennifer should stay too as a judge. She's one of the only female judges on any of these shows to offer up good critiques. Yes, she has biases but what judge doesn't? Plus, she's still a relevant artist who can help with the ratings. She manages to be polite but also be critical. Again, I would just encourage her and any judge to be more critical. It seems the last two seasons they've been overly nice so they can hype up the talent and make the show out to be much better than the competition. Let the talent do the talking. Judge the way you should judge! Randy is the one who NEEDS to go. He offers nothing. Season 10 he was a little more critical but this season he was a joke. I would replace him with Jimmy. Jimmy and Jennifer already have a great rapport. He's a record exec and is needed on the panel. I would then let Jimmy's producers and a celebrity mentor handle the contestants each week. Sadly, Jimmy wants no part of judging it seems and the show seems to think Randy NEEDS to be on the panel so I doubt much will change there.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply