Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
American Idol: Revamp in the works
Topic Started: May 31 2012, 09:16 PM (2,184 Views)
King
Member Avatar

But, to be fair, there really hasn't been any PHENOMENALLY talented, really LOVABLE, deserving females, IMO, in the last few years. I mean, there have not been any Kelly's or Carrie's, IMO.

If there had, they would have won.

Crystal Bowersox and Jessica were very unlikable, IMO.

Lauren Alana had no stage presence, IMO. Crystal didn't either, if you ask me.

Haley, I loved, but she came off as a huge bitch.

They just haven't found any America's Sweethearts that are crazy talented yet relatable.
Edited by King, Jun 4 2012, 10:18 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LPS
Member Avatar

King
Jun 4 2012, 05:05 PM
I think the days of them being rating blockbusters are over. Not the shows. I think they're still capable of great seasons.

The novelty has worn off though. They're not going to get 20 million viewers anymore.
Does any show get 20 million viewers anymore? It appears all ratings are on the decline.

I do agree the novelty has worn off of AI and this is more of a 00's fad.

JLO and Steven can go, IMO. JLO is a fake and Steven offers zero helpful advice. I wouldn't change the voting system. The show is suppose to be about the audience. Additionally, none of the contestants this year were really root-able. Philip Philips had the personality of a toothbrush and that other broad was fake.

I' m glad that I am not the only one who wanted Kris Allen to beat that screecher, LOL. Entirely overrated.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Lol. I was thrilled Kris won over Adam

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

King
Jun 4 2012, 10:17 PM
They just haven't found any America's Sweethearts that are crazy talented yet relatable.
See...that's where I have a problem with this show.

I think female contestants have an impossible task. They have to be pretty enough to get on television, but not so pretty as to become unrelatable. They have to be insanely talented vocally, but not too yell-y (some people hate that), and not too perfect with the vocal (because then they're cold). They have to be aware of their talent (or else they're fake) but not too braggy/confident with it (that would make them a bitch).

Male contestants can walk on with an "aw shucks" grin, a guitar, a remix of an 80s song, and a limited vocal. Then they can just repeat that for several weeks until the cutest aw-shuckiest of them walks away with the cash. The bar is set so much lower, imho. The balancing act- not really there.

Also, I don't think Carrie would have won under current circumstances. She was stiff, especially in her early performances, and a bit too pretty. I think she'd have gotten the same reception that Pia did (and if it leaked that she performed regularly before being on the show, she'd have gotten treated like Carly Smithson did) and would have been out on her ass in 6th/7th place.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Good points King. Allison Iraheta might have been close but got lost in the whole how wonderful Danny/Adam were during her season. Agree with both Crystal and Jessica not being likeable. I felt the same way. To me Crystal was extremely boring and did the same thing week after week that I was simply bored. There is just something about Jessica that never set right with me.

I could see a couple of years from now, Lauren having that type of career that both Kelly and Carrie have. Might not be as big, but I think she has potential. My thing with her was that she just seemed too young along with no stage presence. She always sounded very nice, but I never felt like she connected to the content of the song. Both are things that become stronger has you mature as well as you get more stage time.

Also good points by Phoenix. I do feel like the manipulation has been so bad the last couple of seasons that it has really turned the show for me. But I know my biggest problem with this show now is that they are trying to make these contestants bigger than they really are. All of the singing reality shows are guilty of this. These contestants come out and sing one song yet have a production for that song like they are headlining a world tour. As I think about the moments that I remember most are the ones that are unexpected as well as not over top. There is too much force in creating a moment that you actually lose the heart of the performance.

King
Member Avatar

I agree cubs and px.

It's a tall task. It is a lot to ask for.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Haley Reinhart has been added to Lollapalooza along with Black Sabbath, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jack White, Florence and the Machine & Santigold & tons more!

I'm so happy for her :rockon:

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

^ She also got 4 stars out of 5 and a SOLID review from PEOPLE magazine on her new album.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I picked up the album over the weekend and have been listening to it non stop. It's very Amy Winehouse/Adele/Duffy ish

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Until they put a can on 11-year-old girls voting for (and having the power) to decide which pretty boy will win, this show will never be fair. And with the exception of Scotty McCreery, the past three or four winners are all tanking on the charts. David Cook just got his contract yanked (something that happened to Taylor Hicks a couple of years prior).

Phillip Phillips has no chances whatsoever on any of the Billboard charts. Although talented he's not the stuff radio (of any format) yearns for.

LPS
Member Avatar

How would a change in voting improve the results from the season in which David Cook won? He was by far the best singer and had the most likilhood of having a hit. David A had the personality of a brick and was a one trick pony with "imagine". The voters got it right.

Usually, the contestants make it big after they join a different music company. Because the current music corp that produces their records suck. Anyways most music today is dance and techno influenced, therefore, vocal talent isn't required, so AI isn't compatible.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I think David Cook is hugely talented. I'm shocked he's kind of petered out. Lee and Kris are bores. No question about it. I think their wins were more of a 'we don't really want this other person to win despite how much better vocally they are'. Scotty was a country artist. We haven't had a male country artist win so I'm OK with, even though he did nothing different over the course of the season. He was charming and I was fine with him winning. Lee and Kris, UGH. But we've beaten this into the ground.

Jessica didn't win this year because she lacked connection with the audience. Hell, the girl was nearly eliminated pretty early on. Granted she has an amazing voice. It was sad to see a girl lose this year because from what I've listened to, they were pretty talented. Moreso than normal. A strong bunch. Just a weird season.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Phillip's first single did OK, at least in its first week. Who knows how he'll do with future singles. Radio is kind of...it seems more open lately, after Adele and with Gotye. I hate that Phillip won, I don't think he's that talented but he still could sell.

As for David Cook- he really hurt this show with his borrowed remixed versions of songs, imho. And I don't think he was the best singer that season. I still listen to Carly Smithson's stuff and hope she'll make a decent album one day. I also enjoyed Brook White a lot, though I don't think she was a strong vocalist. It was actually a pretty good season, thinking back, even though most of the people I liked got eliminated during the Top 24.

I think Cook won on the back of girls and their mothers, and it's been that way pretty much ever since. I just wish their taste was more varied. JMHO of course. Cook wasn't awful, just not the best of that season imho, and I'd question whether he'd have won if voting rules were different.

LPS
Member Avatar

Was Brooke the girl who would cry in EVERY episode and talked about how the music moved her? Why any girl vote for David Cook. He wasn't really that sexy and hiis mussic style didn't really target them. If anything it shows that AI audience is way too old and that influences the outcome.

Fantasia was a WTF winner for me. I don't get the appeal of this chick.

I say the only winners who have a chance of making it big are country singers because of the show's demographics.
Edited by LPS, Jun 13 2012, 08:20 AM.

wiggleworm
Member Avatar

I voted Kris out of protest because of how Allison was treated with the whole Danny/Adam lovefest. Allison was not who "they" wanted to win, so they destroyed her every chance they got. Glad Kris snuck through and stole it from their chosen one.

I loved Fantasia. She's not everyone's cup of tea, but she's a winner who knows how to work an audience. "Summertime" is still one of the best live performances on this show, in my opinion. And considering her competition at the final 4, yeah she deserved it. Plus, that season was all about the "diva." Whoever the last one standing was out of Latoya, Jennifer, and Fantasia, they were destined to win.

And are we sure it is 11 year old girls voting for these "pretty boys"? I have my doubts. I'd add another 30 or so years to that age and I think we got the demographic still watching and spamming votes for cookie cutter winners.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I agree with your entire post wiggleworm.

Season 6 was another "diva" season, with Jordan winning (the last female to win).

Season 7 reminded me of this season. A talented group with voting all fucked up (though not as bad as Season 7, IMO) with a handsome, charming, white guy with a guitar and a story winning. However, I think David's the better winner. No, he's not the BEST, but he's a very good winner, though his season had a bunch of talented folks.

Kinda funny how seasons find a way of repeating themselves. LOL. And funny enough, I barely watched Season 7 or this season. I did follow it, though, listening to itunes and video clips on the FOX website. So I feel like I know and have heard enough.
Edited by KMan101, Jun 13 2012, 10:37 AM.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I didn't get Fantasia either but I don't remember who her competition was. I mean, I remember names and faces but I can't remember feeling like anyone in particular was robbed. I think I was even rooting for her against DeGarmo.

Was the boot order really that bad this year? For me there were no real standouts, so it was kind of...who cares.

Oh- I don't know if Brooke cried or not. But she was the one who stopped and restarted a performance, a very 70s singer/songwriter kind of contestant.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Brooke was awesome

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Jennifer Hudson was in Fantasia's season but finished 8th. She was probably the strongest competition to Fantasia that season, but I could see similar people voting for them.

David Cook's season had a couple of people that were strong and should have gone farther than they did. But there was a ton of early push for David Archuletta that others got lost in the shuffle. I know for me I was voting for David, Carly and Michael Johns and would have been happy with anyone of them getting to the finals. I personally lean more to the rock style and each of them leaned that way as well. David Cook might have had more of the mothers, but David Archuletta had the daughters. David Cook was just able to get others to vote for him as well.

David Cook hasn't been as successful just because of the state of music today. Both of his albums are good, but it just isn't the type of music that is big now.

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

I am glad Phillip won, really like him. With all the praise heap onto Jessica, it completely turn me off of her. She is good, but the not that good. I felt she was fake and I am surprise her head didn't explode from all that praise. When they save her without making her sing, I went wtf. Steven and Jennifer sucks as judges, Jimmy is annoying and a Simon wannabe. This show had lost it mojo. It does need to be totally revamp, get 2 new judges and get rid of Jimmy. I really enjoyed the 2 David season, the worst thus far was when Taylor Hicks won, I was like wtf.
Edited by Dakota, Jun 19 2012, 10:41 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply