Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dynasty; 1981-1989; 1991
Topic Started: Jun 6 2012, 02:22 PM (7,181 Views)
Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Posted Image

Since I brought it up in the Knots Landing thread, I just realized that the DR didn't have an official Dynasty thread. Any die-hard fans of the series out there?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I'm a fan of Seasons 1, 2 and 9.

I try to forget that everything else ever happened. So much potential for greatness that was mostly ignored and wasted in favor of totally insipid crap.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Yeah. I feel like we're having the same discussion, but after the second season a lot of the characters became disoriented and they became all meshed together. Did you have a particular favorite character? My favorite was Fallon.

Mason
Member Avatar

I loved Fallon in Season 1, and, had the character continued to be written that way, she would have been my favorite character.

My favorite character is actually Sable, even though she was only on the show for the final season (her Season 6 appearance notwithstanding). While most of the characters I liked were, at some point or another, tarnished by bad writing, Sable was unblemished.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Jun 6 2012, 05:57 PM
My favorite character is actually Sable, even though she was only on the show for the final season (her Season 6 appearance notwithstanding). While most of the characters I liked were, at some point or another, tarnished by bad writing, Sable was unblemished.
...and not to mention how fantastic Stephanie Beacham was in that role. Did you watch "The Colby's" as well? I've never seen it but I heard that she was a saving grace for them.

Mason
Member Avatar

Yes, Sable was the best thing to come from The Colbys, which actually wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. It wasn't necessarily good, either, but it was certainly miles better than Dynasty was at the time it was airing (not that that's saying much). With better actors and better scripts, it could have been a pretty great show.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I agree. I liked The Colby's. It wasn't great but very watchable. I liked a lot of it more than Dynasty at times.

I really disliked Krystle's double. I felt like that lasted forever. Enjoyed all of the catfights though.

Claudia was always my favorite. I really don't know why. I just wanted to see her succeed. She was such a sad character. I rooted for her.

eyebrowns

So Dallas 2012 is getting picked up for season 2 in Janaury...

Where is news on a Dynasty remake?!?!

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

All nine seasons are now available on iTunes. They've been cleaned up nicely!

Posted Image

Oak Alley
Member Avatar
I'll always love you. Always

I have S1-S6 on DVD. I'm waiting to buy the remaining season at a later point.

I remember I watched this show with my mom at first, and then later by myself in my young days. I watched the reruns in mid 90's where I live.

I LOVE Fallon- she really is my favorite character. That is the original Fallon from S1-S4. I was heartbroken to find out that she'd left the show after S4. I would still watch the show, but it didn't feel like the show I loved, until S9. At the time when I first saw it I didn't knew it was the last season. I grew to really like ES as the new Fallon, and loved the storylines in this last season. I couldn't understand that they left the show like that...,lol, Blake being shot etc.

The seasons I rewatch the most are 1-4

Mason
Member Avatar

Andreas_BopeFan
Jan 20 2013, 07:30 AM
I couldn't understand that they left the show like that...,lol, Blake being shot etc.
They were hedging their bets as, at the time, there was a slight possibility that the show might be renewed for a tenth season. They weren't necessarily expecting the show to end there (although they probably should have).

Oak Alley
Member Avatar
I'll always love you. Always

Mason
Jan 20 2013, 08:52 AM
They were hedging their bets as, at the time, there was a slight possibility that the show might be renewed for a tenth season. They weren't necessarily expecting the show to end there (although they probably should have).
Ahh ok, so that explains that movie/ mini series a few years later..

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Is there any other 35+ out there that remembers all the hoopla behind the premiere?

I remember watching ABC a lot with my grandmother in the winter of 1980-81 and there was a lot of press touting it as being the next big thing and they showed a lot of John Forsythe, Linda Evans and Pamela Sue Martin.

I distinctly remember a TV promo where Fallon was playing pool and I thought, Oh my God, this show looks so boring.

But even at 10-years-old, I got completely sucked in and watched religiously for the next eight years. One of my Top 5 favorite TV shows of all-time, hands down.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I'm doing a re-watch of season five and it's absolutely terrible. Worse than I remember. It's also very ironic that some of Dynasty's best seasons in terms of creativity (1, 2, 3, and 9) were the least favorable in the ratings department. After season five, I want to see if there's any way I can get my hands on some copies of "The Colby's". That's on my list of things to watch.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Meanwhile, has anyone ever seen these?

:roflol:

Mason
Member Avatar

Casey
Feb 28 2013, 10:14 PM
It's also very ironic that some of Dynasty's best seasons in terms of creativity (1, 2, 3, and 9)...
One of these things is not like the others....

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Feb 28 2013, 11:20 PM
Casey
It's also very ironic that some of Dynasty's best seasons in terms of creativity (1, 2, 3, and 9)...
I think season three had its up and downs. Overall, I'd say it was much better than anything that followed it, but that's just my opinion. There were some things that I did enjoy (the Alexis and Adam relationship, for example...as weird as it was). Not the "killer paint" story though. That was completely stupid.

Mason
Member Avatar

Casey
Mar 1 2013, 01:51 PM
Mason
Casey
I think season three had its up and downs. Overall, I'd say it was much better than anything that followed it
Until Season 9, I hope.

Season 3 certainly wasn't the worst of the worst (and you're right about Alexis/Adam which was the one redeemable part of that year), but it was the season that set the stupid tone for the rest of the series and basically turned the show to crap -- again, until Season 9. I just can't put it up there with the greatness of those other three seasons.

Jen
Member Avatar

I loved Dynasty, especially season 9. My favorite character was Sable, I loved how she fought with Alexis, everything about her.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Mar 1 2013, 06:37 PM
Casey
Mar 1 2013, 01:51 PM
Mason
Casey
I think season three had its up and downs. Overall, I'd say it was much better than anything that followed it
Until Season 9, I hope.

Season 3 certainly wasn't the worst of the worst (and you're right about Alexis/Adam which was the one redeemable part of that year), but it was the season that set the stupid tone for the rest of the series and basically turned the show to crap -- again, until Season 9. I just can't put it up there with the greatness of those other three seasons.
Of course! Lol. Season 9 is one of my favorite's. I thought the reunion special was pure garbage though, much like the reunion movies done for Dallas and Knots Landing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply