Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
CBS Filing Tonight for Emergency Injunction to Stop ABC's 'Glass House'
Topic Started: Jun 7 2012, 09:36 PM (422 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

CBS Filing Tonight for Emergency Injunction to Stop ABC's 'Glass House'

CBS is set to file a request for a temporary restraining order to stop the upcoming reality series Glass House from airing on ABC. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the court papers will be filed electronically in federal court in Los Angeles tonight by lawyers for CBS.

As we previously reported, CBS is suing ABC over the upcoming strangers-living-together show, arguing that it violates the intellectual property of Big Brother and that trade secrets obtained by at least 19 former Big Brother employees are being used to create the new show. ABC denies that Glass House, which is set to debut June 18, is a copycat, arguing that CBS can't possibly claim copyright infringement over a live competition show that hasn't been created yet.

A lengthy deposition took place Sunday of defendant Kenny Rosen, executive producer of Glass House and a former producer of Big Brother. The Rosen interrogation lasted seven hours, according to court documents, during which he was grilled about the format for Glass House and whether he is using any secret information or resources from his previous job at Big Brother to create the ABC show. During the deposition, sources say he admitted that about 27 former Big Brother staffers are working on Glass House, and that he consulted and even copied Big Brother manuals when putting together the plan for Glass House.

CBS tipped its plan in court papers filed earlier this week, in which the network outlined its argument against the show.

"CBS undeniably has an interest in stopping the irreparable harm caused by Defendants' ongoing misappropriation of trade secrets, infringement of Big Brother's copyright and other unlawful activity (including spoilaiton of evidence)," the network's proposed schedule argued. "For these reasons, CBS intends to seek a [temporary restraining order] preventing the ongoing production and imminent airing of Glass House on June 18."

ABC and Rosen responded with their own court filing disputing CBS' characterization of the case and Rosen's deposition. "For example, it is misleading -- and frankly irrelevant to the legal claims -- that Mr. Rosen said he hired more than 20 people with prior experience on Big Brother," the Defendants argue. "What CBS does not tell this Court is that Mr. Rosen also testified that the vast majority of these people worked with Mr. Rosen more recently on a different reality show, Hell's Kitchen, that has nothing to do with Big Brother. It is true that Mr. Rosen hires people with whom he has experience working on reality shows; there is nothing improper about that."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/cbs-filing-tonight-emergency-injunction-334902
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Actor87
Member Avatar
The Royal Dork

I don't blame the guy for trying.

He basically went back to a bare-bones model of what Big Brother used to be.

Big Brother has lost a little more of its magic with every season. Everything seems so rigged now. The competitions are NOTHING like they used to be. Even the casting process has changed.

Alin89
Member Avatar

i still think it will air no matter wat.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I don't blame CBS one bit for doing this...it sounds like TGH broke some rules as far as copying content previously used on BB.

On a totally selfish point though, I hope it does not get delayed :)
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Jun 8 2012, 11:20 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar

The Glass House should hire Holly Robinson Pete or that Leah chick and really piss off the Chenbot.

darraholic
Member Avatar

The Glass House looks like a hot mess, but I'm really excited to watch this Erica & Robin chicks. They look like great tv.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I think that it's CBS that's suing and not Endemol speaks volumes.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

I know. Are they really that afraid of competition?

I still say ABC should sue CBS for airing "The Talk." That would make Chenbot and Moonves change their tune a bit.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply