Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Greg Meng Q&A with MSN.com
Topic Started: Jun 22 2012, 02:50 PM (6,351 Views)
dragonflies
Member Avatar

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/tv-buzz-blogpost.aspx?post=107dbbfe-6c53-4527-a20f-2ea2ff8109c3#scpshrtu

“Days of Our Lives” has been building its Daytime Emmy cred in recent years, and last year's big returns, new set and general overhaul have paid off. The NBC soap opera nabbed 14 Daytime Emmy nominations, including the big three: Outstanding Drama Series, Writing and Directing. MSN TV caught up with “Days of Our Lives” executive producer Greg Meng on the red carpet of the 39th Annual Daytime Entertainment Creative Arts Emmy Awards for a quick chat about Emmy, "Days of Our Lives" summer story and fan passion.

MSN TV: How does it feel to be coming to the Daytime Emmys with so many nominations?

Greg Meng: It’s very exiting, especially because this last year, we spent so much time refreshing the show, changing the look of the show, reinventing some things and bringing back a lot of beloved characters. It’s great to see everybody acknowledged. That’s the big thing.

Do you have a good luck charm for the big show?

Our hard work. When we put that extra effort in, even our peer acknowledged it. It’s very exciting.

Whether fans love it or hate it, their responses to change and storylines are intense and emotional. How do you weigh out all the conflicting reactions?

It’s simple: If the fans are talking, something’s working. We can’t please everybody all the time, but we can continually evolve and grow and grab them with one story or another. That they’re talking is huge. We’re thrilled.

Any other beloved characters you have your eye on for returns?

The new “Days” is about: Once you’re part of the “Days” family, you’re part of the “Days” family. So you may be back again, at some time. You never know.

Anyone in particular?

Yes, but I can’t answer that right now.

Did you get this person, or is it in the works?

Yes. That’s all I’m going to say!

In the wake of the most recent changes, what can we expect from this summer in Salem?

We’re going to be preempted for the Olympics for two weeks, so we’ve got major stuff leading up to the Olympics and major secrets you won’t want to miss when the Olympics are over.

Does that mean we’re going to be left with a cliffhanger that drives us nuts for two weeks?

Pretty much. You will not want to miss it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

dragonflies
Jun 22 2012, 02:50 PM

Eileen Davidson :rockon:

jwsel
Member Avatar

dragonflies
Jun 22 2012, 02:50 PM
It’s simple: If the fans are talking, something’s working. We can’t please everybody all the time, but we can continually evolve and grow and grab them with one story or another. That they’re talking is huge. We’re thrilled.
This just proves TPTB don't get it. A lot of us talk about Days because we are invested in the show due to its long history and our loyalty. That we talk about things happening on screen does not mean what is on screen is working. If any of TPTB actually read the posts or listened to what the fans are saying, they would realize that most of the talk is about how the stories are badly paced, the characters are unrecognizable or unlikable, and the focus is on the wrong characters.

Aldo
Member Avatar

What's new? He didn't reveal that much. Oh well...
Edited by Aldo, Jun 22 2012, 03:02 PM.

six
Member Avatar

Quote:

I hope this teasing means it's 'yes' to the former part of this question. Please let this be ED.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Well I think it's safe to say Kristen is returning. Didn't he pretty much admit that?

reagon

Who knows he could be talking about Joe Masculo. I don't think these jokers believe ED or Kristian would be a big return. But that's me.

NikiLani
Member Avatar

There comes a time where the negative talk will truly reflect on ratings. There's only so much crap a viewer can take being thrown at them. And they need to stop spinning this nonsense and face the facts. DAYS currently sucks and the GA is showing them how unhappy they are by switching off. Those on the internet, calling in voicing their disappointment are just the few who bother with letting them know that this show is pure kak. Listen to your viewers and stop pretending they are mindless drones that will dance to your beat. There comes a time when enough is enough!

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

This certainly spells that ED is pretty much in...

Oh and I just wish that Meng and all other days execs realize that when people are talking about the show (good or bad) that necessarily doesn't mean anything. Just write good storylines and the overwhelming about of people will be HAPPY, WATCH and then continue to talk about the show...the difference will be that the latter actually shows up in the only thing they care about...ratings.
Edited by LuvingLumi, Jun 22 2012, 03:06 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

To me, the interviewer was hinting around about ED and I think that is who Meng was referring too. I get the feeling they may do the same thing with Eileen that they did with Leann Hunley (which Tomlin was a huge part of. They are going for a surprise return. Plus, Meng sounded excited about the return and I think he would be excited about Eileen because he seems to love Marlena and that means more story for her.

I also think that his comments (which were similar to his interview two months ago) about people always being part of the family and coming back at some point are referring to people like Reckell, Ashford, and Clark. I think they are going to keep refreshing the show every so often to avoid things getting stale or going in one direction for too long.

dragonflies
Member Avatar

I still don't get why people want ED back at all, given their track record how they treat vets

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

I really hope this return is Kristen!!!!!

jwsel
Member Avatar

I wouldn't jump to the assuming this is some type of confirmation about Eileen Davidson. We know Eric Brady is returning and Meng was referring to "characters," so that could be a recast. Hell, given the cluelessness of TPTB, they could think Taylor, Quinn, and Kinsey are "beloved."

Days4Life

EILEEN!

I have never quite understood how negative talk is good for the show. I'm barely watching at this point, but I still read the boards and make a comment now and then. So, I may be talking but if I'm not watching, then how is that a good thing?

dragonflies
Member Avatar

I read something once that networks want you mad enough to want to throw something at your tv, what they don't want is your apathy. So good or bad to them is good

oh and it's probably Eileen Davidson and if she returns don't count on PR or MA returning given she probably doesn't come cheap

MissLola
Member Avatar

But if the fans are not actually watching what does it prove? And the stories are awful and they are NOT working.That is what everyone is talking about, how bad it sucks! There is really nothing to be thrilled about! :moon: :flipoff:
These idiots are delusional and they will be the reason that the show will be over next year :shame:
Edited by MissLola, Jun 22 2012, 03:30 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jun 22 2012, 03:04 PM
This certainly spells that ED is pretty much in...

Oh and I just wish that Meng and all other days execs realize that when people are talking about the show (good or bad) that necessarily doesn't mean anything. Just write good storylines and the overwhelming about of people will be HAPPY, WATCH and then continue to talk about the show...the difference will be that the latter actually shows up in the only thing they care about...ratings.
They keep saying how important it is that people are talking about the show. It makes me wonder if they collect data and actually see a correlation between receiving higher levels of feedback and higher ratings. If they do, I can see why they equate increased buzz with ratings. But even if that is true, the problem is that they need sustained buzz. Yeah, the Ejami sex was shocking, got people talking and raised the ratings for a few days. But there was not an interesting story built around it so the ratings were back down just a couple days later. If their goal is to get people talking because buzz actually does correlate to ratings, then they need STORIES that do this, not just events.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Interesting how Meng and the interviewer are gushing about all of Days nominations when most of them are for people no longer with the show.
Edited by dc cubs, Jun 22 2012, 03:38 PM.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

First, I think Days didn't really beef up it's Emmy cred. I think they're just one of the few survivors.

Second, I really hate the whole "if they're talking..." bullshit. As others have said, sometimes we're talking about how awful things are. Most of the conversation lately (aside from the neverending fanbase wars the show's created) is about what could be done to make this stuff entertaining.

But I suppose if you don't care about the quality of your product, a strong reaction is all you really should aim for.

Third, I totally want someone to ask him, "So the writers responsible for an Emmy-nominated year are gone, as are some of the major characters. If you're acknowledging a quality issue by having a big behind-the-scenes shake up, do you think you really deserve an Emmy nomination?"

I know MarDar had issues, but to me it's kind of...bullshit to cite the refresh they helped lead as a reason for Emmy acknowledgement when they've been dumped. If it worked so well, why go back to someone else?

Follow up question- "One of the acting nominees has recently been fired. One is long gone. One has quit. None of your heavily-featured actors have been recognized. What's up with that?"

Lastly- I also think he's referring to Kristen returning. He'd better be, far as I'm concerned. Nobody else would warrant the teasing, imho.

Chelsea
Member Avatar

I wish tptb at Days' would just tell us which actors are coming back. Maybe if we knew who was coming back it would spark interest and get more people watching again.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply