Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Greg Meng Q&A with MSN.com
Topic Started: Jun 22 2012, 02:50 PM (6,280 Views)
DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

I think it's just something people say to have something to say to questions they can't answer any better. It projects confidence and there's a certain logic to the idea that projecting confidence engenders confidence in others. Of course in this case some of the people who are talking about the show have lost confidence beyond recoverability so it's a useless tactic on those people. But there are other people out there, and in any case it got him through the interview.

It would be a little stupid if he was trying to say "All you disgruntled fans should be quiet because when you speak up it just makes us do whatever it is you don't want us to do" -- that's just childish and counterproductive. So I can only assume they want to appear confident in Days' future and thus reduce fan anxiety. Not all of us will be reassured obviously.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

reagon

px780
Jun 23 2012, 01:07 AM
Here's my question about "all talk is good talk"-- if your goal is a reaction, why would you repeatedly, obviously tweak storylines that are getting reactions?

For example, lots of people were talking about Daniel/Jennifer/Jack....it dissolved and the characters faded to the background for a bit. Eggbaby had a helluva conversation around it...then it wasn't really discussed much. People were reacting to crazy Abby...it hit its climax in about 1 hour of airtime and now is a distant memory. People were reacting to Carrie/Rafe, they let go of the actress. There were whispers about Ian being a Dimera, and rumor has it they cut a scene hinting at that reality, right?

You could even go a small step back in time- people were talking about Chloe the whore and Carly the addict...they wrote them off and got rid of the writer, too.

So there's something that doesn't quite ring true. If your measure of success if people talking (even if they're talking shit)- why all the behind-the-scenes drama? Why let go of MarDar, who dropped some of the biggest reaction-creating bombs I can remember in a long time?

It's kind of a bullshit thing to say, really, imho.
It's bs because people talked about Higley online nonstop and the show was awful. Maybe the 2 Rafes and EJ and Taylor and Chloe as a hooker should have lasted several years based on online chatter.

Days needs to ignore all this crap and just focus on writing decent stuff.take an example from The Bold and the Beautiful. The 2 shows with the highest online chatter and buzz are both swapping for last place continually.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Greg Meng is just a puppet. For me as long as the show looks decent I'm a fan of his. He helped bring back those favorites and its not his fault the network axed them. He's one person I'm hoping keeps his job because he's infinitely better than Gary Tomlin. Tomlin is the obvious replacement for Meng if he were to go anywhere. NBC probably really does feel that any reaction is good considering the state of that network daytime and primetime. Meng is just regurgitating what he's been told. I can't be mad at him for that.

annie21

reagon
Jun 23 2012, 09:12 AM
px780
Here's my question about "all talk is good talk"-- if your goal is a reaction, why would you repeatedly, obviously tweak storylines that are getting reactions?

For example, lots of people were talking about Daniel/Jennifer/Jack....it dissolved and the characters faded to the background for a bit. Eggbaby had a helluva conversation around it...then it wasn't really discussed much. People were reacting to crazy Abby...it hit its climax in about 1 hour of airtime and now is a distant memory. People were reacting to Carrie/Rafe, they let go of the actress. There were whispers about Ian being a Dimera, and rumor has it they cut a scene hinting at that reality, right?

You could even go a small step back in time- people were talking about Chloe the whore and Carly the addict...they wrote them off and got rid of the writer, too.

So there's something that doesn't quite ring true. If your measure of success if people talking (even if they're talking shit)- why all the behind-the-scenes drama? Why let go of MarDar, who dropped some of the biggest reaction-creating bombs I can remember in a long time?

It's bs because people talked about Higley online nonstop and the show was awful. Maybe the 2 Rafes and EJ and Taylor and Chloe as a hooker should have lasted several years based on online chatter.

Days needs to ignore all this crap and just focus on writing decent stuff.take an example from The Bold and the Beautiful. The 2 shows with the highest online chatter and buzz are both swapping for last place continually.
Their attitude is bogus, imo. And it flies in the face of good business sense -- which is just one of the many things this show does that defies logic. What other business would take that attitude? If people were talking about your restaurant, yet the majority of the reviews, tweets, and letters were negative and filled with disgust, would you just shrug it off and say, welll, at least they're still eating here and keep right on dishing out the same stuff? No! And no, they're not eating there. They're just spreading what's called word-of-mouth advertising about your business. This form of advertising is vital to any organization -- when the buzz is positive. But it can be devastating when it's not. Yes, sometimes people just gripe and complain no matter what you do. But a business should take it seriously -- the dismissive attitude only compounds the problem and turns off even more real and potential customers.

The fanbase wars were one of the main things that kept me away from this show for years. (Well, it was mostly the crappy writing). But I'd vaguely hear about the complaints of outraged viewers and decide to invest my viewing time elsewhere.

Ironically, what brought me back was Meng and Corday saying they had listened to viewers and want-to-be viewers (via the book tours) and were finally going to fix some of the fundamental problems with the show. It was a good idea and if only they had been sincere about fundamental change, instead of just cosmetic change, it might have turned the ship around. But by December, they were back to the same dismissive attitude of "as long as they're talking" BS that has plagued this show since the 90s. I've heard it from Reilly, I've heard it from Langan, I've heard it from Sheffer, I've heard it more or less from Higley and Corday, and I've definitely heard it from MarDar. Somehow, I was expecting more of Meng. But he's joined in with the chorus.

Yes, they've tweaked here and there to adjust storylines. But I'm not convinced it has any direct correlation to fan "talk." For example, they de-emphasized Eggbaby for a while, but then brought it back and doubled down on it rather than un-doing it. (Victor's secret could have been a way to fix it, and they never have explained why Daniel got DNA confirmation by text message rather than an official written report). They sidelined Daniel for a couple of weeks (after a trumpeting fanfare of a sendoff), only to bring him back and up the ante on the behavior fans had complained about. And they fired the vets fans wanted to keep while continuing to showcase characters the fans want to see gone. It's as if they're not only not listening, they're actually thumbing their nose at viewer feedback.

Ultimately, as has been noted, they should just concentrate on writing good stories -- regardlless of all the rest. Riveting stories would garner good buzz, but the show is making it clear through this interview that they've given up on trying to generate positive word-of-mouth and will just keep sailing the ship in the same old wrong-headed direction. What a pity.

blueskies
Member Avatar

He could be talking about Jason Cook too. I'm hoping Eileen, but I admit I want JC back as Shawn too. More than I want Belle
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

Does he really think that talking is a good thing for the show? No you can't please every fan base but you can write balanced things that makes the fans want to watch.

I don't expect anything exciting.
Edited by JamesScott_19, Jun 24 2012, 04:20 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

I have NO issue with them bringing MA back, and I don't want anyone to think I do. What I do have an issue with is them starting this "weave in and out" thing with characters who haven't been around all that long in the first place. They JUST returned. Weave characters who haven't left our screen in FOREVER in and out.

I think he's probably talking about Eileen. If he were talking about Matt, I don't think he'd have built it up as much considering Jack is still onscreen. There may be plans for MA, too, and I wouldn't be surprised, but I think he's probably talking about someone else.

blueskies
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 23 2012, 09:54 AM
I have NO issue with them bringing MA back, and I don't want anyone to think I do. What I do have an issue with is them starting this "weave in and out" thing with characters who haven't been around all that long in the first place. They JUST returned. Weave characters who haven't left our screen in FOREVER in and out.

I think he's probably talking about Eileen. If he were talking about Matt, I don't think he'd have built it up as much considering Jack is still onscreen. There may be plans for MA, too, and I wouldn't be surprised, but I think he's probably talking about someone else.
That's why I think its a possibility he's talking about Jason Cook or Eileen or Eric Brady. I just don't want together my hopes up anymore about Eileen because I already know I'll be crushed if she doesn't return.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

It's true that you NEED people to be talking because the worst thing for any TV show, film, etc is to have people feeling indifferent or not caring at all. You want there to be frustration because that helps build to payoffs. Remember in the 90's when Days saw huge ratings? Well, fans were frustrated for years watching their favorite couples fight to be together. That is the kind of frustration you want that translates into discussion. This is one thing Corday was right about years ago when he mentioned wanting the "audience to throw sandwiches at their TVs." You want the audience to be frustrated and impatient for a payoff but they NEED to be invested. Therefore, the stories need to be hooking people. You want the talk to be about how shocking the stories are and how you can't believe what happened. You want the fans to be hooked and itching for the payoff they want to happen whether it be a couple coming together after being apart for years or whether it be a villain or villainess getting their comeuppance. That is where I take issue with Meng because that is not the talk the show is getting. People are talking for NEGATIVE reasons that reflect major issues with the show. The buzz is all about the show and it's stories being awful. People aren't on the edge of their seats. They've not even sitting in their seats and watching the show. They are off doing something else. The show is lucky if it's background noise for many at this point.

Poker Face
Member Avatar
DraDeeDOESitBETTER best couple on DAYS

That they’re talking is huge. We’re thrilled.

lmfao if by talking he meant "bashing"i think its hysterical.because i harass/bash nbc/days 24/7 on twitter even say "shit,shame on you,i respect the vets unlike you"

lol when i found out bout dallas i even sent them a dig where i said "since DAYS wont use the vets i'll watch DALLAS bc there they are not AFRAID to use the vets nor have them KISS on the mouth"

ouch...yeah that was harsh but its true!!!!

major secrets you won’t want to miss when the Olympics are over.

HMM should i TRUST him?will jarlena be involved?who knows....HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Poker Face
Member Avatar

Tammy
Jun 22 2012, 10:22 PM
I understand what he means by saying "any talk is good talk". Because whether you're talking about the things you are enjoying, or bitching about the things that are pissing you off... it means your watching the show! lol
#busted lmfao im one of them that still watch the show w major FF and bitches bout it to nbc 24/7 HAHA

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

annie21
Jun 23 2012, 09:49 AM
reagon
Jun 23 2012, 09:12 AM
px780

Their attitude is bogus, imo. And it flies in the face of good business sense -- which is just one of the many things this show does that defies logic. What other business would take that attitude? If people were talking about your restaurant, yet the majority of the reviews, tweets, and letters were negative and filled with disgust, would you just shrug it off and say, welll, at least they're still eating here and keep right on dishing out the same stuff? No! And no, they're not eating there. They're just spreading what's called word-of-mouth advertising about your business. This form of advertising is vital to any organization -- when the buzz is positive. But it can be devastating when it's not. Yes, sometimes people just gripe and complain no matter what you do. But a business should take it seriously -- the dismissive attitude only compounds the problem and turns off even more real and potential customers.

The fanbase wars were one of the main things that kept me away from this show for years. (Well, it was mostly the crappy writing). But I'd vaguely hear about the complaints of outraged viewers and decide to invest my viewing time elsewhere.

Ironically, what brought me back was Meng and Corday saying they had listened to viewers and want-to-be viewers (via the book tours) and were finally going to fix some of the fundamental problems with the show. It was a good idea and if only they had been sincere about fundamental change, instead of just cosmetic change, it might have turned the ship around. But by December, they were back to the same dismissive attitude of "as long as they're talking" BS that has plagued this show since the 90s. I've heard it from Reilly, I've heard it from Langan, I've heard it from Sheffer, I've heard it more or less from Higley and Corday, and I've definitely heard it from MarDar. Somehow, I was expecting more of Meng. But he's joined in with the chorus.

Yes, they've tweaked here and there to adjust storylines. But I'm not convinced it has any direct correlation to fan "talk." For example, they de-emphasized Eggbaby for a while, but then brought it back and doubled down on it rather than un-doing it. (Victor's secret could have been a way to fix it, and they never have explained why Daniel got DNA confirmation by text message rather than an official written report). They sidelined Daniel for a couple of weeks (after a trumpeting fanfare of a sendoff), only to bring him back and up the ante on the behavior fans had complained about. And they fired the vets fans wanted to keep while continuing to showcase characters the fans want to see gone. It's as if they're not only not listening, they're actually thumbing their nose at viewer feedback.

Ultimately, as has been noted, they should just concentrate on writing good stories -- regardlless of all the rest. Riveting stories would garner good buzz, but the show is making it clear through this interview that they've given up on trying to generate positive word-of-mouth and will just keep sailing the ship in the same old wrong-headed direction. What a pity.

Well said Annie. I also believe the show sucks for several reasons, one being poor writing, execution, certain events that take place off screen which should be shown and fanbase wars. I realize everyone has their favorites as do I, but the constant Ejami, Ejole, Safe, Cafe, Lumi, Dicole, Dannifer, Ejill, etc. wars only hurt if the writers/PTB/NBC continue to try to please everybody all the time. No can do. Pick a direction, have a plan and stick with it. Someone, somewhere will be pleased!

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

It's better to have a show that you want to watch than a show you don't want to watch. But it's better to have a show that you want to rewatch than a show that you want to watch only once, just to know what happens next. So I'd say it's better to have people throwing sandwiches at their TV screens than have people turning their TV screens off, but it's better yet to have people rabidly protecting their TV screens for fear of losing access to their source of nirvana than anything else. That was always my problem with JER's Days; I watched but I rarely would want to rewatch, especially in his second tenure. In the age of spoilers it became pretty useless altogether, I only turned on the TV because I felt guilty and disloyal to the characters I liked before he was around. And that didn't last forever either.

Keeping people invested in characters takes some long-term wisdom. MarDar suck at pulling off plots, but under Tomlin there weren't a lot of characters on the frontburner to really care about. Both things need to be working for the long-term benefit of the show.

GBill

How did it say anything about ED? I think people are reading into it way too much. Could be any of the people who left already.

GBill

I have good word that Eric Brady is coming back and Greg Vaughn was cast.

Poker Face
Member Avatar

^^ really???? i hope u are right man bc from his interview,if u can call it that.
he could b talking bout ANYONE,Joe,Eileen,Christie or even Greg V...so many actors but he made it sound like JUST ONE of them was returning.

AHM

PhoenixRising05
Jun 23 2012, 10:48 AM
It's true that you NEED people to be talking because the worst thing for any TV show, film, etc is to have people feeling indifferent or not caring at all. You want there to be frustration because that helps build to payoffs. Remember in the 90's when Days saw huge ratings? Well, fans were frustrated for years watching their favorite couples fight to be together. That is the kind of frustration you want that translates into discussion. This is one thing Corday was right about years ago when he mentioned wanting the "audience to throw sandwiches at their TVs." You want the audience to be frustrated and impatient for a payoff but they NEED to be invested. Therefore, the stories need to be hooking people. You want the talk to be about how shocking the stories are and how you can't believe what happened. You want the fans to be hooked and itching for the payoff they want to happen whether it be a couple coming together after being apart for years or whether it be a villain or villainess getting their comeuppance. That is where I take issue with Meng because that is not the talk the show is getting. People are talking for NEGATIVE reasons that reflect major issues with the show. The buzz is all about the show and it's stories being awful. People aren't on the edge of their seats. They've not even sitting in their seats and watching the show. They are off doing something else. The show is lucky if it's background noise for many at this point.

Yes, it's very important to distinguish the type of frustration and desire to throw stuff at the TV that the show should be trying to create in the audience vs. the kind that is just going to drive them from throwing a sandwich to just turning it off. Personal examples:

Yummy frustration: Jennifer, please just tell Jack that you were raped! OR Dangit, Jack, tell her you love her!

No fun, I don't like this show anymore, frustration: Who the heck is this woman calling herself Jennifer, and why is she googling at her latest booty call while her soulmate is suffering? Or-Brady/Madison-why should I even care? Or- I stuck with this show for Matt Ashford's return, could I please see him maybe once a week at least?

It's true that there is never any way to really please everyone. I guess there were people rooting for Emilio or even Larry Welch (even more doubtful, but there's always someone) back in the day, and there are always characters different individuals will like to see more than other characters, but there used to rooting couples and the sense that the show would frustrate you and frustrate you, but you'd get the pay off, and you knew who the characters were and you knew what was in their hearts. That is no longer the case. The fanbase war mentality of this show guarantees keeping large portions of the audience unhappy.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Please join us in our live viewing thread for tonight's telecast of the 39th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards.

Link here: http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8702835/1/

shavemedusa
Member Avatar

All this interview proved to me is that TIIC are all stupid and they should high-five themselves on the forehead.

jwsel
Member Avatar

shavemedusa
Jun 23 2012, 04:12 PM
All this interview proved to me is that TIIC are all stupid and they should high-five themselves on the forehead.
With a sledgehammer

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply