Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
39th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards: Live Viewing Thread; 8:00 PM/EST on HLN
Topic Started: Jun 23 2012, 01:03 PM (39,235 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Just watched the show. I give HLN credit. They treated this like a real event. They built up to it all week with interviews, special shows, advertisements, etc. Then, they had a red carpet that while flawed in spots, did a good job of setting the stage. I mean, they talked to some big names and really set the tone. That is all you want, really, out of a red carpet. It was so nice to see the Daytime Emmys get a red carpet again.So many looked great. My personal favorites for best dressed were Rebecca Herbst, Deidre Hall, Arianne Zucker, Kate Mansi, Shelley Hennig, Molly Burnett, and Kristian Alfonso. I actually thought Suzanne Rogers looked great with the slightly longer hair and Chandler Massey had a cool vibe about him fashion-wise.

The actual ceremony could've been better but was much better than last year. At least soaps were the major focus. My major issues were the music and the arrangement of the awards. The music was generic crap. Even if they couldn't have gotten the actual music from the shows, why not just come up with a generic operatic type musical piece to give the night more prestige? And there is no way you present lead actor so early and present that and lead actress before the supporting and younger categories. No way. I mean, younger lead actress was right before drama series! It's almost like they forgot about it. Stupid. Also, what was up with the filler interview segments? They may have seemed like a cool idea to introduce certain shows or people but they were a waste. Cut some of that out and you save time for some clips. Speaking of cutting filler, did we really need Susan Lucci talking by herself for 5 minutes? We get it! Erika Kane and Susan Lucci are legends. This isn't about her, though. She got a tribute last year. The daytime community has spent the better part of 3 decades kissing her ass. This was about AMC, OLTL, ATWT, and GL but they made it all about Lucci. And Mathison being up there was a travesty. That should've been Agnes Nixon. And why not have some ATWT and GL alums up there too since both shows were mentioned. If you can't use clips, I'm not sure why they bothered with the tribute but, at the very least, they could've had ATWT, GL, OLTL, and AMC cast members on stage behind Susan, Cameron, and Erika. Maybe have those 3 introduce them and then have a standing ovation. If you cut out those stupid interview segments and Lucci's talking, you save yourself a few minutes right there. I would also then cut out some of the awards that had no business being presented on TV. New approaches to daytime? Really? Animated show? Come on, now. Those over the web soap category being shown?! Cut out some of the awards usually handed out at the Creative Arts show and that would've saved tons of time along with cutting Lucci's segment down and cutting the interview segments. Oh, and I'm all for fun stuff but the whole animal thing with Jack Hanna and Debbie Gibson lasted way too long as well. Cut some of that. I get why they can't show clips of the actors and for writing and directing as it's only a 2 hour show but they could've at least had best drama montages. That is pretty vital and a huge part of the show IMO.

On to the positives now...good to have the In Memory segment back. Deidre presented that with great class. I loved her saying "she would say it" when she was presenting directing and someone yelled out. Speaking of class, Erika Slezak once again epitomized that. I like who they had presenting and thought it was cute how Kristian was so clearly disappointed when she didn't announce Molly or Shelley. Also nice seeing the Days group, especially Kate Mansi and Deidre Hall, so over the top proud and happy of Chandler. That was a nice moment. It was also nice to see so many people from AMC and OLTL there. Really sad too, though, because this is the last time we may see any of them for awhile since so many haven't found work.

As for the winners, so happy for Chandler. He deserved it and I had no issue with his win. To me, it was him or Eddie Alderson and you could've made the case for both. Both had strong reels. Maybe industry support and all the hype around him helped Chandler win. I would've liked a tie since who knows if Eddie will have the chance again. Same goes for Erika Slezak. I was pulling hard for her and Eddie Alderson because, unlike Bob Woods, I knew they stood a shot given their material. Sadly, I think in lead actress, it was just too stacked. I think Slezak and Chappell, who I always felt it would come down to based on the material and industry support, cancelled each other out and that allowed Heather Tom to sneak in because she had enough industry support. She's always been an Emmy favorite too. I don't mind because she's a great actress but I really wish Slezak got it. Based on the work and the fact this may have been her last chance, I wanted it for her so bad.

I'm tired of Geary winning but he deserved it. No one else in that category IMO came close so it was a justified win. Loved his speech too. Same with Jonathan Jackson. Sick of him winning but he deserved it based on the material. Chandler Massey is going to be just like him. They are very similar to each other in acting so I expect Chandler to rattle off Emmy wins just like him. I knew it would be Ashford or Jackson and I think Jackson was just a bit better. Well deserved.'

I like Nancy Lee Grahn but she did not deserve to win that Emmy. That was all Rebecca Herbst. Sorry. Her reel was the best and IMO, like Geary and Jackson, she should've been a slam dunk win. It also rubs me the wrong way that she couldn't be bothered to show up but could stay at home and drunk tweet. That reflects badly on her IMO. Speaking of tweets, would Micheal Muhney shutup already with his bitterness? His Geary comments were deplorable. Cady McClain, however, was right on about Susan Lucci LOL.

Shelly should've won younger actress, without a doubt. Molly IMO should've been second. Khalil beating either one of them is a joke. Yes, she had classic bait as a reel but the rest of them did too. I guess they had to throw a bone at Y&R and she was due but it's a shame because this was Hennig's last chance and she deserved it. Now, I get the feeling Molly Burnett will win next year because she will have left the show and many will regard her as due for a win after a few nominations. We usually see someone win under those circumstances.

OLTL should've won directing over GH but GH seems to own that award. How weird was it seeing a clip from the late 90's/early 2000's used for OLTL in the directing category? Clearly, a flub unless maybe that was because Prospect Park wouldn't let them use a more current one since they may still own the rights to clips.

Days winning writing was the shock of the night but that was a WONDERFULLY written episode. They were wise to go with that episode for writing instead of what they went with for drama. The shootout and grief sex episodes were good but were more flashy than what normally showcases good writing. Days chose something that was all character-driven and which moved story without stunts. It was the kind of episodes myself and a few others usually love and many seem to find boring. More shows should submit episodes like this and they would likely win. I think days deserved it for that episode so kudos on finally winning the award for the first time since 1976. Quite an accomplishment. It was sad that Rick Draughon of all people had to accept. I knew it would've been awkward but Marlene and Darrell should've been there to accept. Afterall, Gh had fired people accept their award drama. I actually thought Days may win best drama when they won this because it showed Days had some industry support on their side but GH had the biggest bait in terms of what the voters usually reward and clearly had the majority of the support once again this year. I thought the Jake story was good, not great. It could've been so much better but it was good enough to get the support needed to win.

I also think what helped GH both in getting the amount of nominations they got and the amount of wins, especially drama, was the fact that they are the most vulnerable soap. They came close to being cancelled and I think this is a way to send a message to ABC from the voters that it's still a show that should stick around. I think if Days was more in danger, it may go to them. Perhaps, next year, with Days up for renewal and assuming GH is on stronger footing, there will be a lean in their direction and they will get the support GH got to send a message to NBC to keep the show around. It always comes down to ratings, sure, but Emmy recognition does help and does send a message to the network. The whole night did seem to have a theme of all of daytime supporting each other and appreciating each other, especially those shows no longer around. I like that the whole show had that sentiment of pride but also of remembrance. It was cool to see all of daytime united together like that. It was also nice to see daytime recognized in a halfway decent way and I feel HLN did that, even if the show had flaws. The setting was better. It felt like a mini-Golden Globes. I also like that they at least let it run overtime instead of cutting stuff off. Good for them.

It could've been better but it certainly could've been worse. Overall, I thought it was a good show. Much better than the last 5-6 years IMO. Maybe next year they could expand it to 3 hours if it does well or at least cut out the filler. That would help immensely.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jun 24 2012, 01:46 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dooldooldool

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2012, 01:46 AM
Just watched the show. I give HLN credit. They treated this like a real event.
Absolutely. In addition to the week-long promotion, the red-carpet show, and the live telecast, HLN rebroadcast the show TWICE on Saturday and will re-air the pre-show and the show twice on Sunday.

Hopefully the ratings will be higher than the TruTV reruns they usually show on weekend evenings.

FanODays

I thought the show was pretty good although I do miss the clips. Perhaps the show needs to be 2-1/2 hours instead of 2 which they ran over anyway.

The order was curious and worth a try but it seemed odd to have best young actress be the last acting award.

Nathan Parsons looked hot in that suit.

Geary winning was predictable and deserved. He hit it out of the park in that storyline, same for Jackson. Loved the digs only TG can make.

Sorta not surprised that Herbst didn't win because JJ and TG won and the concern could have been too many awards for that storyline.

lisawinnie

Can anyone please upload the emmy awards show and the red carpet as I live in australia and I can watch?

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

DAYS winning for best writing for that episode simply goes to prove how much Richard Culliton can spin shit into gold. Literally.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

So glad for Massey, very deserving.

And it just goes to show you that NBC apparently putting a stop to the PTSD storyline is just plain STUPID. That won them the Emmy for writing....NBC has no clue what they are doing

sonjawitthaus

Were can I find clips of the show!!!

Poker Face
Member Avatar
"I like to be on top, Darling." - John Ross/Pamela

i still think either the paid the judges or fucked them literally!!!!

bc imo RH ( liz -gh) and EH ( chloe - yr) totally deserved to win!!!!!

im happy bout CM and JJ.

but seriously HT ( katie) ? wth did she do to win? im stunned that KKL still hasnt won an emmy!!!! not fair!

and lily (yr) ok that scene was good but usually shes pretty dull.....yr writes her like a doormat.....but seriously i cant believe that with one scene she won and EH had tons tons of emotional scenes and was terrific and got nothing????? fuck

Peridott
Member Avatar

Whoever missed the show, it re-airs tonight at 8pm and 10pm est.
Edited by Peridott, Jun 24 2012, 09:16 AM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

sonjawitthaus
Jun 24 2012, 08:16 AM
Were can I find clips of the show!!!
Try the HLN site:

http://www.hlntv.com/clusters/daytime-emmys

Poker Face
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Jun 23 2012, 09:20 PM
I'm happy that DAYS won the writing Emmy for that episode...it was a good one!

Also happy for Chandler.

Overall, the show was nice, but slow during the middle of the show. The worst was La Lucci thinking AMC was called the "Erica Kane" show...LOL @ Cady :

Cady McClain ‏@realcadymcclain
Has susan Lucci said Erica Kane enough? I think that's about 11 times. I think we have a new drinking game. #DaytimeEmmys #nlgemmys

Also LOL@ Dee snapping at someone that was trying to call out the winner! She told that person, "I'll be saying that please!"
lmfao damn cant believe cady mocked susan,they used to work together haha

Poker Face
Member Avatar

Checkers
Jun 23 2012, 09:20 PM
Shick
Jun 23 2012, 08:42 PM
What the hell did Nancy do to even earn an Emmy nom this year?
Her scene she submitted.

R u fucking serious? that looked like a normal scene no spark,no emotion. :shame:

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Yay for Chandler,but the show was a tad boring.
Edited by Snowing Fan, Jun 24 2012, 10:17 AM.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

For me this show was the best its been in a long time. Daytime was the focus, with soaps getting a lot of that attention. Soaps didn't feel like an afterthought. I loved that they changed their mind and switched Outstanding Drama to the end after announcing that they weren't doing that. I was kinda upset that they started out with Lead Actor, but Geary gave the best speech of the night so it made up for that. The awards started out very strong and kinda fell apart by the end so they need to work on the order if they do that next year. I like doing Supporting and Younger first because thats usually where the shockers happen. The voting for those awards seem to be very inconsistent every year and they're the hardest to predict. The Leads usually go according to plan. And the show would have had a much better feel good moment if Geary could have won his 7th as the last individual award and gave the big "Fuck you." speech to ABC...rather than having Christel Khalil winning Younger Actress.

Still I give this show a solid B. The tribute was lame and sucked. It should have had more Slezak and Agnes Nixon should have been up there instead of Cameron Mathison. It would have been cool if they had a lot of the cast members from OLTL and AMC up there behind Agnes, Slezak, and Lucci. The best part was actually Ricky Paull Goldin talking about La Lucci. Her speech was bad, but the audience was giving her nothing. Actually I found the audience to be quite pathetic all night. They were talking over everyone and you could hear the mumbling and they were just too quiet when it was time to make noise.

I think a lot of that probably had to do with the fact that no one knew how these Emmys were going to go. And there just aren't enough soaps left. Normally its so loud when people win and people come out, but it was just like crickets for the most part. I was disappointed in that. I still think HLN did a great job adn I hope they give it another try next year. I hope the ratings make it worth it. The week leading up to the show and the red carpet show made me really respect HLN.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Jun 24 2012, 08:03 AM
DAYS winning for best writing for that episode simply goes to prove how much Richard Culliton can spin shit into gold. Literally.
Very true.

Oh, and I have to agree that the audience sucked as far as noise level. I've never seen a ceremony held in that room that sounded that quiet. I do think a huge part of it was that the audience was unsure of what was happening based on the last few years but you would think they would get louder as the night progressed. I felt like the noise level was only loud for two awards and that was for when Tony Geary won and Chandler Massey one. I think the reaction would've been louder for the AMC/OLTL tribute if Lucci hadn't taken the air right out of that.

Oh, very happy for Regis with him and his show winning. That was a nice way for him to go out.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

75% of the soap world had to be cancelled in order for Days of Our Lives to finally win a couple of respectable Emmys.

And thumbs down all you want, rapid Days fans, you know it's the truth.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

I am sure that the cancellation of a lot of soaps had a lot to do with Days' rise in Emmy prominence this year. At the same time it's not like Days didn't have biases going against them in the past either, so somewhere in between those two things might be some form of karmic justice, to a degree at least.

I kind of feel like things might have also been warmer if the Y&R cast weren't such snobs and half the GH cast weren't, well, also such snobs, in a different way. Days' cast isn't the most talented but they do seem the nicest.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

Renegade_Killerbee
Jun 24 2012, 10:58 AM
75% of the soap world had to be cancelled in order for Days of Our Lives to finally win a couple of respectable Emmys.

And thumbs down all you want, rapid rabid Days fans, you know it's the truth.
There it's fixed, but even with the error it's still :lol:
Edited by badaddiction, Jun 24 2012, 11:31 AM.

lisawinnie

Anyone going to upload the emmy awards and the red carpet as I live in australia so i cant watch?

sonjawitthaus

And I would like to watch the clips again. Please how can find them do I just have to wait until someone puts them on youtube.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply