Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
39th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards: Live Viewing Thread; 8:00 PM/EST on HLN
Topic Started: Jun 23 2012, 01:03 PM (39,565 Views)
LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Interesting that the show that won MarDar their Emmy was the one where Jack had a breakdown. Just goes to show what happens when you combine good actors with good writing.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

LanaluvsBroe
Jun 24 2012, 12:13 PM
Interesting that the show that won MarDar their Emmy was the one where Jack had a breakdown. Just goes to show what happens when you combine good actors with good writing.
Is that really the case?

That says something awesome about the show. Also about the awards- how can a daily show win best anything based off something that was, in the grand scheme of things, so minor?

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

That's the flaw inherent in the system. You either submit a lot of material that will fatigue judges, or less material that could easily misrepresent the year.

aellabelaza

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2012, 01:46 AM
I like Nancy Lee Grahn but she did not deserve to win that Emmy. That was all Rebecca Herbst. Sorry. Her reel was the best and IMO, like Geary and Jackson, she should've been a slam dunk win. It also rubs me the wrong way that she couldn't be bothered to show up but could stay at home and drunk tweet. That reflects badly on her IMO. Speaking of tweets, would Micheal Muhney shutup already with his bitterness? His Geary comments were deplorable. Cady McClain, however, was right on about Susan Lucci LOL.
Just a sidenote, Nancy had a family commitment back in Chicago, that she committed to before the Emmy date was announced and that's why she wasn't there last night. She didn't blow off the ceremony and stay home in LA, she's in the midwest with her family.

annie21

DesignatedShelley
Jun 24 2012, 12:28 PM
That's the flaw inherent in the system. You either submit a lot of material that will fatigue judges, or less material that could easily misrepresent the year.
Since that's the case for every entry, I suppose it evens the playing field to only have one or two episodes represent the entire year.

I will say that I was completely floored to learn Days had won the writing award until I learned which episode had been submitted. In my view, that really was one of the best episodes of the year, in terms of how the stories were woven together -- and especially in terms of the JnJ cabin scenes. In fact, looking back, I feel it was really the last time I didn't sense some major interference in the storytelling. While there were some hiccups up until then, it was really right after that -- when things started falling apart and have only spiraled downward since then.

So glad the PTSD storyline got at least some recognition. Maybe this will help bolster Meng in all the BTS in-fighting and power struggles that seem to be going on.

granolagirl
Member Avatar
Not here for St. Jack of the Immaculate Redemption

px780
Jun 24 2012, 12:23 PM
LanaluvsBroe
Jun 24 2012, 12:13 PM
Is that really the case?

That says something awesome about the show. Also about the awards- how can a daily show win best anything based off something that was, in the grand scheme of things, so minor?
This bothers me in every single category, tbh. Wouldn't it be great if the Emmys were set up so that a well-paced story was Emmy bait? Too few of the things that make the genre truly enjoyable are incentivized by the Emmy system.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

annie21
Jun 24 2012, 01:32 PM
Since that's the case for every entry, I suppose it evens the playing field to only have one or two episodes represent the entire year.
Well, it allows people with possibly one good performance all year to compete on an even playing field with people with possibly 100 good performances all year. Theoretically that first person could be anyone, and so could that second person, but that would only even out to an approximate "fair" over years and years and only if all actors were given similar numbers of high and low years over that time. Since the pool of talent in soaps is in constant flux and most careers do not accumulate to the point where the number of years is a decent sample size and since actors who get a lot of material are more likely to continue getting more, it is not likely to even out over time. And since the amount of good material a given actor gets in a given year is predetermined and unchanging, it's still not fair within a given year.

The problem with the Daytime Emmys is always that there's no soap academy, I think. That puts pressure on the stars who submit themselves to be "fair" for whatever definition of the word is even agreed upon (and how do you regulate that etc). Judges are told to judge based on the reels but there is no way to guarantee that those reels are representative.

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

For anyone who didn't get to watch it last night, it will re-air tonight on HLN at 7ct, 8et. I forgot about it, was out at a friend's for a cookout and the UFC Pay-per-view, didn't even dvr it. Realized it when I got back home last night and discovered that it comes on again tonight per DISH.

sonjawitthaus

I don't have satellite or cable. Is there other way I can watch it?
Please help me!!! ;)

annie21

DesignatedShelley
Jun 24 2012, 01:59 PM
annie21
Jun 24 2012, 01:32 PM
Well, it allows people with possibly one good performance all year to compete on an even playing field with people with possibly 100 good performances all year. Theoretically that first person could be anyone, and so could that second person, but that would only even out to an approximate "fair" over years and years and only if all actors were given similar numbers of high and low years over that time. Since the pool of talent in soaps is in constant flux and most careers do not accumulate to the point where the number of years is a decent sample size and since actors who get a lot of material are more likely to continue getting more, it is not likely to even out over time. And since the amount of good material a given actor gets in a given year is predetermined and unchanging, it's still not fair within a given year.

The problem with the Daytime Emmys is always that there's no soap academy, I think. That puts pressure on the stars who submit themselves to be "fair" for whatever definition of the word is even agreed upon (and how do you regulate that etc). Judges are told to judge based on the reels but there is no way to guarantee that those reels are representative.
Really good points. I was referring more to best show entries, but your logic still applies.

When it comes to actor nods, I was also thinking about the vital relationship between show/writer/character/actor. So, for example, the GH writers seem to love JJ and his character Lucky. They seem to "get" Lucky and enjoy writing for his "voice." Not to take anything away from JJ's performance, but that has to make his job easier -- to be able to work with strong material that is character-based. On the other hand, if the material is thin and not true to character, the actor has a much harder task to try to spin something out of it. Heck, that can happen even within the same show if writers have preferences for some characters over others.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

sonjawitthaus
Jun 24 2012, 02:30 PM
I don't have satellite or cable. Is there other way I can watch it?
Please help me!!! ;)
Check your private messages.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Deidre Hall looked gorgeous,then again she always does,on Facebook she was torn between a red and blue dress,she obviously went with blue,both dresses were beautiful though.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

I think this highlights why shows like GH are good at winning Emmys. They make Emmy Episodes and give Emmy Stories to their Emmy Actors. They play the system better, they know it takes one good reel and they make sure that they get that one good reel on tape, one that encapsulates what an actor/the writers/the show has to offer.

If a writer has it in for the actor, the actor is screwed. It's terrible to have immature egotistical writers but any Days fan knows they exist.

sonjawitthaus

Were can I find copy of them on dvd? ;)
Edited by sonjawitthaus, Jun 24 2012, 05:10 PM.

Alana
Member Avatar

Watched the Emmy's via live-stream, but fell asleep after 1 hour in (3:00am my time...lol).

One nagging question though...where was AS, NBC's darling... proudly wearing one of her super-duper tight dresses???

Did I miss something??

Sweetbabygirl
Member Avatar
Meow This!

Poker Face
Jun 24 2012, 10:06 AM
Checkers
Jun 23 2012, 09:20 PM
Shick
Jun 23 2012, 08:42 PM
What the hell did Nancy do to even earn an Emmy nom this year?
Her scene she submitted.

R u fucking serious? that looked like a normal scene no spark,no emotion. :shame:
:hypnotize: The hell?!

I no longer watch GH but that scene was muhfuckin' gold and is sometimes replayed, as I love it when someone calls Carly on her shit. She especially deserved it for how she treated Jax.

sonjawitthaus

It doesn't look it is streaming tonight. is it on somewhere else? :shrug:

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Highlights:
-Chandler winning
-Heather Tom winning
-Deidre & Kristian presenting
-Tony Geary getting lost on the way to the stage
-The group of youngens presenting to the Leads
-In Memoriam

Embarassing:
-Susan Lucci stealing the AMC/OLTL tribute for herself
-Susan Lucci's hair...was that a fucking WIG?
-NO CLIPS
-NO FUCKING THEME MUSIC (cheap as mother fucking fuck HLN!)
-DAYS winning Best Writing Team (LOL!!!!)
-GH winning Best Drama Series (HAHA!)
-AOL "OMGZ LOLZ" Viral Video crap
-Supermarket music
-No best show reels

I thought HLN did an earnest job, but the it all felt INCREDIBLY cheap...the stage was downright embarassing.

BUT it was better than the Vegas Promotional Show last year.

RutherfordBHayes

Well, to say the least, the awards were -- interesting. The alligator may have been the highlight of the show. I would have loved to have seen it take a great big bite out of the Emmy Award. I appreciated Cameron Matthison giving a shout out to GL & ATWT (but, I'm sure, there will be Passions fans who will be ticked off that Passions was not mentioned. I never thought of Passions as a soap -- I thought of it as a comic strip.)

At last year's awards, with Jon and Kelley Menighan Hensley, our beloved ATWT received a 40 second tribute. How can you properly pay tribute to a 54 year long show in 40 seconds?

The 'In Memoriam,' sadly, did not include Linda Cook, who played Laurie Ann Karr Lamont Dallas on 'The Edge of Night' from 1975-77, and 1984, and Egypt on 'Loving' from 1988-91, and 1993-94). An even bigger oversight our beloved Anthony Herrera, whose character of James Stenbeck on ATWT spanned three decades. Totally unforgivable and inexcusable!
That was a big oversight on their part. I felt the show was 'forced.' And, even with Susan Lucci surrounded by Erika Slezak and Cameron Matthison, I felt an awkwardness.

Susan Lucci may be considered the Queen of Daytime for her 41 years on AMC, but was there any tribute given to Erika Slezak and her 40 year run on OLTL. No, not one word. It was if she was an 'Under five line' day player. Again, outrageously unforgivable!

OLTL was barely even mentioned, as opposed to AMC. I was rooting for two categories - Younger Actor & Actress. My friend Steve is about to throw in the towel on watching DOOL after 25 years. He, in fact, has told me that when Molly Burnett leaves in a couple of months, he will leave Salem, too. I was happy for Chandler Massey winning, was disappointed that Molly didn't win (we share the same birthday).

If they didn't devote half of the show on these 'new' categories, there would have been more time to properly give tribute to AMC and OLTL.

As Erika Slezak said, the soaps were the backbone of daytime. But, now with only four shows left on the air, they are relegated to the nose-bleed section of the auditorium, behind the 'new approaches' category, the culinary category and the judge show category.

The usual suspects won...GH, Anthony Geary, Jonathan Jackson, and Jeopardy. I do not begrudge 'Jeopardy's' win, because I am an information junkie, and I will regularly yell out the answers before the contestants do. My dear wife gently admonishes me by saying that they can not hear me.

I was scratching my head about the DOOL Writing Award win, because my friend Steve has not been happy with the writing. And, neither were the TPTB at Days, apparently, because they gave last year's writing team the pink slip.

The producing team of 'General Hospital' were also given the sack, but they won for Best Daytime Drama Series.

With only four shows left on the air, it might be better for them to hold a non-televised banquet, as the Academy Awards did, for motion pictures, in the late 1920's and 1930s.
I am just so grateful that Moonves' wifey-poo and her fellow yackers on 'The Talk' did not win, if they had, I would have gotten sick.

The more I analyzed the show last night, the more revved up I got to putting my words into writing. I was also thinking about the future, the far distant future, and how soap history will be written. ATWT's Hank Elliott (Brian Starcher - 1988-89) will be remembered as the first gay character and Chandler Massey (DOOL) will be remembered as the first actor to play a gay character to win an Emmy Award. Van Hansis will be just a footnote, despite his three Emmy nominations for his role of Luke Snyder on ATWT.

Frankly, I am surprised that they did not give the Lifetime Achievement Awards to Brian Frons and Les Moonves. During the course of his career, Brian Frons killed Search for Tomorrow at CBS in 1982 and again in 1986 on NBC after a 35 year combined run, and AMC and OLTL in 2011. Les Moonves obliterated 126 years of broadcast history with the cancellations of GL in 2009 and ATWT in 2010. If ever there two men who changed the face of daytime, they certainly are the ones.

I have been a life-long soap fan, and, I firmly believe that the soaps deserved better treatment than they received with this year's Emmy Award broadcast. As Anthony Geary said, we are heading in the direction of seeing 'Celebrity Boob Jobs Gone Wrong' on our daytime television screens.

blueskies
Member Avatar

RutherfordBHayes
Jun 24 2012, 08:32 PM
Well, to say the least, the awards were -- interesting. The alligator may have been the highlight of the show. I would have loved to have seen it take a great big bite out of the Emmy Award. I appreciated Cameron Matthison giving a shout out to GL & ATWT (but, I'm sure, there will be Passions fans who will be ticked off that Passions was not mentioned. I never thought of Passions as a soap -- I thought of it as a comic strip.)
I was upset by the no-Passions mention. However, my mother was MORE upset, she went on a 10 minute tirade on why they "should have mentioned Ryan's Hope" :laugh: Then at the end she said, "well I guess it has been a while since it was on...."
Edited by blueskies, Jun 24 2012, 09:17 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply